SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
AIBU 24.05.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Gransnet/mabon1:

Am I being unreasonable for refusing to 'upgrade' my home?

'I recently listed my home for sale. When the estate agent came to inspect it, they strongly advised me to renovate the bathroom and kitchen, which are both made of solid oak, in order to attract buyers.

However, as an 80-year-old with limited financial resources, I cannot afford extensive renovations. My home is already in great condition and has a respectable C rating for insulation.

I politely disagreed with the agent, expressing that this house is my sanctuary—it's cosy and well-maintained, just the way I prefer it. I mentioned that any potential buyer could tackle those upgrades themselves. Do you think I'm being unreasonable?'

We're eager to hear your perspectives, members! Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.

No, any improvements you make just might met the expectations of a buyer, and he's just looking to up his commission. I think most people would realise there would be a need for upgrades and if it's in good condition they would know that they have time to save for that $20k plus kitchen renovation. Stick to your guns or get another Estate Agent.

Reactions: marni
Sold mine recently. Knew it needed $100,000 in repairs and tarting up. That’s why we were selling could not be bothered at our age. All purchasers were Flippers. They do renovations in their time, keep it for the required no of years and sell at a profit.

Many many yrs ago friends listed their house for sale and were told by the real estate agent that they would need to renovate their kitchen which was downstairs if they expected to get any potential clients interested. They couldn't afford to do this but the husband who was quite a handyman did it himself - paint job, bench tops etc.
House sold & new owners ripped out the kitchen and moved it upstairs making the downstairs into a rumpus/theater room. Complete waste of time and effort & money spent by the original owners. My advice LEAVE THE HOUSE THE WAY IT IS, new owner will decide whether they want to renovate or not.

Some years ago l read a Real Estate Agent's comments which stated that any updates will only add 50% of the total amount spent to the sale price of a home, hence $1,000 spent will only equate to a $500 additional amount to the home's value.

When we have sold properties in the past we have not renovated them. The garden is well maintained, neat and tidy, the house itself had been thoroughly cleaned and decluttered and minimalised. The cleaning of the house itself is a mammoth task if doing it on your own, which I usually did. But once it was cleaned it was easy to do a quick clean up before the agent bought through potential buyers. Having 2 dogs added to it having to make sure everything was spotless. Don't forget the little things that people notice and add some nice touches such as fresh flowers, open curtains and blinds. I found alot of effort put into the presentation of your home will help you get the best price possible for it. Only renovate or replace if necessary.

Reactions: Ezzy
No, do not upgrade anything. Just make sure that everything is clean, no clutter, nice towels in the bathroom. A vase of flowers in the kitchen. The agent should realise that you are probably downsizing and why would you spend money to upgrade when all you want is to move.
Yes I agree!

Reactions: Ezzy