Advancements in Alzheimer’s research: Queensland Brain Institute conducts ‘stepping stone’ trial using ultrasound

Nobody would wish Alzheimer's on anybody, and yet it robs hundreds of thousands of Australians across the country every year. Statistics show that one in 10 over-65s have this disease and it’s the second leading cause of death nationwide.

It truly is a devastating illness, so we here at SDC were pleased to hear the news that medical experts are making advances towards potential treatments or cures.

It looks like our hopes are not unfounded; a research team at the University Of Queensland’s Queensland Brain Institute (QBI) has announced plans to trial a cutting-edge treatment involving ultrasounds by next year – giving us an inkling as to just how far modern technology can be pushed!

Professor Juergen Gotz, the research team's head, described how they utilise calibrated ultrasound to target an area in the rear of the brain that is impacted early in the course of Alzheimer's disease.

3e2d21f9c969befe8f6e6584de0a67d08d602528

For several years, University of Queensland Professor Jürgen Götz has been developing the ultrasound treatment approach. Credit: University of Queensland.

He remarked: 'You have a lot of different cells which are impacted in the brain, and they also respond to ultrasound.'

'The ultrasound stimulates proteins which sit in the membranes of different cell types, with the consequence that those cells release things which stimulate neighbouring cells.'

Twelve people, aged between 50 and 85 and who are suffering from moderate to severe Alzheimer's, will take part in the safety trials over the next twelve months under the supervision of Mater Hospital's neurologist, Professor Peter Nestor.

The subjects will receive specially calibrated ultrasounds that will focus treatment on areas affected early on during their course with degenerative brain disorder four times at two weeks intervals, with an emphasis on investigating potential adverse reactions rather than efficacy.

12ead5204220ff90e73a715f5540da0498184efb

Professor Peter Nestor used the ultrasound gadget for an Alzheimer's patient in a trial session. Credit: University of Queensland.

'Twelve people might sound like a small trial but it’s quite large for a safety trial,' Prof Nestor said.

'Because it’s a preliminary trial there’s no placebo group, it’s all about treating the patients and seeing how they tolerate the treatment.'

It should be noted that initial trials on mouse models revealed that the treatment resulted in an increase in brain plasticity (the ability of the brain to change, learn, and memorise with age) and an improvement in cognitive function.

Alzheimer's is the most common type of dementia. Thousands of people suffer from this devastating condition, and the hunt for a cure or treatment is a major priority in the medical community.

However, there is currently no method to reverse the degeneration of the brain caused by the disease and only limited options to temporarily halt the progression.

Gotz said that while they were no closer to developing a feasible treatment for the disease, their research has been very promising and that it could potentially aid Alzheimer's patients.

'This is a long journey, and this safety trial is just a stepping stone on that journey,' he said.

'There’s more work to be done, more trials in the future and more basic science needs to be done but hopefully, there is a reward at the end of the journey.'

Key Takeaways
  • An initial trial is under way in Brisbane for a potential treatment for Alzheimer's disease, using ultrasound to shake the brain awake.
  • The trial will be held at the Mater Hospital in Brisbane under the guidance of neurologist Professor Peter Nestor and will focus on safety rather than efficacy.
  • Patients aged between 50 and 85 with moderate to severe Alzheimer's will receive the treatment four times spaced out fortnightly.
  • Research leader Professor Juergen Gotz said they are still a long way off from having a viable treatment method, but their research had been very promising and they were excited to be taking the next step.

We would like to reiterate that this is a preliminary trial and that the researchers are skipping the efficacy test for the meantime. So, it might be too early for us to hope that a viable cure will be accessible to Alzheimer's patients soon.

What are your thoughts on this? Share them with us in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I read that low cholesterol levels are associated with an increased chance of
Alzheimer's. Unless you had Familial Cholesterolaemia, why would you want to take statins?

Reactions: RTS
Nobody would wish Alzheimer's on anybody, and yet it robs hundreds of thousands of Australians across the country every year. Statistics show that one in 10 over-65s have this disease and it’s the second leading cause of death nationwide.

It truly is a devastating illness, so we here at SDC were pleased to hear the news that medical experts are making advances towards potential treatments or cures.

It looks like our hopes are not unfounded; a research team at the University Of Queensland’s Queensland Brain Institute (QBI) has announced plans to trial a cutting-edge treatment involving ultrasounds by next year – giving us an inkling as to just how far modern technology can be pushed!

Professor Juergen Gotz, the research team's head, described how they utilise calibrated ultrasound to target an area in the rear of the brain that is impacted early in the course of Alzheimer's disease.

3e2d21f9c969befe8f6e6584de0a67d08d602528

For several years, University of Queensland Professor Jürgen Götz has been developing the ultrasound treatment approach. Credit: University of Queensland.

He remarked: 'You have a lot of different cells which are impacted in the brain, and they also respond to ultrasound.'

'The ultrasound stimulates proteins which sit in the membranes of different cell types, with the consequence that those cells release things which stimulate neighbouring cells.'

Twelve people, aged between 50 and 85 and who are suffering from moderate to severe Alzheimer's, will take part in the safety trials over the next twelve months under the supervision of Mater Hospital's neurologist, Professor Peter Nestor.

The subjects will receive specially calibrated ultrasounds that will focus treatment on areas affected early on during their course with degenerative brain disorder four times at two weeks intervals, with an emphasis on investigating potential adverse reactions rather than efficacy.

12ead5204220ff90e73a715f5540da0498184efb

Professor Peter Nestor used the ultrasound gadget for an Alzheimer's patient in a trial session. Credit: University of Queensland.

'Twelve people might sound like a small trial but it’s quite large for a safety trial,' Prof Nestor said.

'Because it’s a preliminary trial there’s no placebo group, it’s all about treating the patients and seeing how they tolerate the treatment.'

It should be noted that initial trials on mouse models revealed that the treatment resulted in an increase in brain plasticity (the ability of the brain to change, learn, and memorise with age) and an improvement in cognitive function.

Alzheimer's is the most common type of dementia. Thousands of people suffer from this devastating condition, and the hunt for a cure or treatment is a major priority in the medical community.

However, there is currently no method to reverse the degeneration of the brain caused by the disease and only limited options to temporarily halt the progression.

Gotz said that while they were no closer to developing a feasible treatment for the disease, their research has been very promising and that it could potentially aid Alzheimer's patients.

'This is a long journey, and this safety trial is just a stepping stone on that journey,' he said.

'There’s more work to be done, more trials in the future and more basic science needs to be done but hopefully, there is a reward at the end of the journey.'

Key Takeaways

• Knowing your local retailers' trading hours ahead of the Christmas holidays is important to ensure that you make the most use of your time and don't miss out on any shopping opportunities.
  • Local restaurants, cafés and cinemas may be open on Christmas Day, while pharmacies will remain open as usual on public holidays.
  • Banks and Australia Post will be closed during public holidays, but hospitals will remain open.

We would like to reiterate that this is a preliminary trial and that the researchers are skipping the efficacy test for the meantime. So, it might be too early for us to hope that a viable cure will be accessible to Alzheimer's patients soon.

What are your thoughts on this? Share them with us in the comments below!
I think that any research to finally be able to cure Alzheimers, is worthwhile. I have been participating for probably close to 5 years in a research with Monash University, to see if a prescribed medication might be effective in preventing Dementia. It had been very hard seeing my 97 year old mother be impaired by Dementia, before she died.

Proteolytic enzymes, like Bromelain, found in whole fresh pineapple, and papain from pawpaws, have the potential to clear plaques. It's also important to get eight hours sleep to wash them away.
I don't have a family history of Alzheimer's, but it's becoming much more common now.

My mum had dementia. I try to maintain a healthy level of cholestrol, became a lacto-vegetarian and also I keep learning new skills. Challenge my creativity in knitting/crochet and cooking. They say social intereactions are important, it is not just social media but talking to real people. Volantary/ Paid casual work also helps with interacting with people. All I am doing is delaying the process. So far it seems to keep me alert. Still enjoying life and taking one day at a time.

• Love
Reactions: paulamc52 and Liz
My Mum had Alzheimer's/Dementia for the last 3 years of her life ... it devastated our family as she didn't know any of us ... she became very violent & tried to hurt people in the nursing home ... she also tried to run for the front door often, which was just horrible for us all ... Mum was never violent! The home had to place her bed right next to the nurses' station so she could be monitored much more efficiently. I'm going to be 71 in a couple of months, & I pray & hope that I haven't inherited this horrible disease. I was in a coma in 2016 & lost all of my memories & even had to relearn the alphabet ... I try to work my brain every day in the hope that I can fend off this horrible disease. Thank goodness for science & scientists.

My Mum had Alzheimer's/Dementia for the last 3 years of her life ... it devastated our family as she didn't know any of us ... she became very violent & tried to hurt people in the nursing home ... she also tried to run for the front door often, which was just horrible for us all ... Mum was never violent! The home had to place her bed right next to the nurses' station so she could be monitored much more efficiently. I'm going to be 71 in a couple of months, & I pray & hope that I haven't inherited this horrible disease. I was in a coma in 2016 & lost all of my memories & even had to relearn the alphabet ... I try to work my brain every day in the hope that I can fend off this horrible disease. Thank goodness for science & scientists.
Be brave, science is always comng withnew discoveries. All we need is time and defer the process. Still enjoy life.

Reactions: Liz