SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
A message from one of our members: Flooded in, separated from family

Hi guys... This email was sent in by member @leanneh and reposted with her permission. Please stay safe out there.

I am currently separated from my family because of the widespread flooding in Brisbane.

My Dad and husband are at home in the Fairview Aged Care facility. The creeks on either side of Fairview broke their banks on Saturday 26th and cut Moggill Road. There is still no way in or out of Fairview and it could take until the end of the week before vehicles can get back in.

Only a small number of staff have been stranded with the residents and they are all working flat out to keep all the residents feed and cared for. They are sleeping wherever they can. Fortunately there is a staff bathroom in the facility for their showers etc.

As for me I've been in Wesley hospital since the paramedics brought me here on Wednesday. The water was getting higher and higher so on Saturday the decision was made to discharge as many patients as possible who could be cared for at home until the flood waters subside. The staff then consolidated the remaining patients into a few wards and closed the rest. The hospital became completely isolated on Saturday night as high tide in the Brisbane River closed Coronation Drive.

The limited number of staff who were also isolated here are working incredibly hard to care for a large number of patients most of whom are extremely ill. Fortunately a few more staff were able to be brought in Monday by the SES in a boat. The flood waters are receding at present so the staff may be able to get in and out sometime today. But management are being very cautious because all the water could easily rise again due to the high tides and also because the flood gates have been opened at Wivenhoe Dam. Both of those things can raise the height of the river considerably so we may soon be isolated again.

Our situations seem grim but we are all grateful for our blessings. There are thousands of people in Brisbane whose homes are inundated and they have had to evacuate to shelters or family and friends. If people are lucky enough to still be safe in their homes it's quite possible they are among the 55,000 homes that haven't had any power since Saturday afternoon.

Even more devastating is that the death toll from the flooding is already 8 and there a a large number of people missing who we all pray are still alive somewhere.

This "rain bomb" is now wrecking havoc in the Northern Rivers of NSW. we pray for their safety also.

Everybody out there! Make sure you stay safe and look after yourselves and your loved ones. And if you are high and dry join the Mud Army when the water recedes and give a hand to those in need.

For those who want to help, there's an excellent article from The Conversation you can check out here: https://theconversation.com/want-to...loods-heres-what-to-do-and-what-not-to-178149

Attachments

• file-20220301-19-1s6bkbp.jpeg
    file-20220301-19-1s6bkbp.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hello Leanne, I have just read your letter, and I hear your resilience in your writing.
The whole situation is incredible, the amount of damage is monumental. But the loss of life is the hardest....so very sad.
My sister has been flooded out on the Sunshine Coast.
My son in suburban Sydney has just been ordered to evacuate.
He simply does not know where to go.
I am here alone in Melbourne, praying earnestly for our gorgeous country and its beautiful people, as we pray, too, for the devastation and suffering in Ukraine.....

I wondered if the local council have opened up evacuation centres where your son is. I would like to tell you all about the experience my husband and fishing friend has recently. They had been to Fraser Island (Qld) and were on their way home and were caught in Gympie because of flooding. The first night they could not find any accommodation in the town and finished up sleeping in the car. Then the Gympie Council opened up the Civic Centre for those either flooded or standed in Gympie. The Salvos arranged stretchers, sheets, blanket and a pillow if required. Tea, Coffee, sandwiches were supplied the first day and after they were treated to food from the local pizza hut, KFC, Coles meats and much more. Hot showers and toilets were available too. The one outstanding thing that really touched my heart was the man who came in with a box of brand new mens slippers and gave out these items to anyone who need dry warm feet. Well bless them all. The men are home again in Logan and are very pleased to be safe and dry and home.

Hi guys... This email was sent in by member @leanneh and reposted with her permission. Please stay safe out there.

I am currently separated from my family because of the widespread flooding in Brisbane.

My Dad and husband are at home in the Fairview Aged Care facility. The creeks on either side of Fairview broke their banks on Saturday 26th and cut Moggill Road. There is still no way in or out of Fairview and it could take until the end of the week before vehicles can get back in.

Only a small number of staff have been stranded with the residents and they are all working flat out to keep all the residents feed and cared for. They are sleeping wherever they can. Fortunately there is a staff bathroom in the facility for their showers etc.

As for me I've been in Wesley hospital since the paramedics brought me here on Wednesday. The water was getting higher and higher so on Saturday the decision was made to discharge as many patients as possible who could be cared for at home until the flood waters subside. The staff then consolidated the remaining patients into a few wards and closed the rest. The hospital became completely isolated on Saturday night as high tide in the Brisbane River closed Coronation Drive.

The limited number of staff who were also isolated here are working incredibly hard to care for a large number of patients most of whom are extremely ill. Fortunately a few more staff were able to be brought in Monday by the SES in a boat. The flood waters are receding at present so the staff may be able to get in and out sometime today. But management are being very cautious because all the water could easily rise again due to the high tides and also because the flood gates have been opened at Wivenhoe Dam. Both of those things can raise the height of the river considerably so we may soon be isolated again.

Our situations seem grim but we are all grateful for our blessings. There are thousands of people in Brisbane whose homes are inundated and they have had to evacuate to shelters or family and friends. If people are lucky enough to still be safe in their homes it's quite possible they are among the 55,000 homes that haven't had any power since Saturday afternoon.

Even more devastating is that the death toll from the flooding is already 8 and there a a large number of people missing who we all pray are still alive somewhere.

This "rain bomb" is now wrecking havoc in the Northern Rivers of NSW. we pray for their safety also.

Everybody out there! Make sure you stay safe and look after yourselves and your loved ones. And if you are high and dry join the Mud Army when the water recedes and give a hand to those in need.

For those who want to help, there's an excellent article from The Conversation you can check out here: https://theconversation.com/want-to...loods-heres-what-to-do-and-what-not-to-178149

Hello Leanne, I have just read your letter, and I hear your resilience in your writing.
The whole situation is incredible, the amount of damage is monumental. But the loss of life is the hardest....so very sad.
My sister has been flooded out on the Sunshine Coast.
My son in suburban Sydney has just been ordered to evacuate.
He simply does not know where to go.
I am here alone in Melbourne, praying earnestly for our gorgeous country and its beautiful people, as we pray, too, for the devastation and suffering in Ukraine.....

Reactions: Ricci
Hello Leanne, So sorry that you are going through this ordeal,alone by the sounds of it.
Please know that many people are thinking of you, and sending you and every one else in the flood areas
much Love and Best Wishes for a speedy reunion with your Loved ones.

Our hearts go out to all the people impacted by this terrible event. The scenes of devastation have been heartbreaking. As I sit here on the south coast, it's pouring with rain and we are waiting to see if it's our turn next. :(:(
yet here in Adelaide we haven't had any, zero, zilch, wish some would come our way

• Sad
i am lost for words and worried about my brother and family they live in Queensland they live in helensvale i hope it stops very soon thinking of all the people that are suffering that have lost their homes very sad :cry::cry::cry:

• Sad
My son has been "adopted" by a family....so kind, so thoughtful, so generous, willing to help a stranger in times of need......
until he can return to the bungalow he is renting while studying.
Thank you for your kind thoughts.

• Love
i am lost for words and worried about my brother and family they live in Queensland they live in helensvale i hope it stops very soon thinking of all the people that are suffering that have lost their homes very sad :cry::cry::cry:
I think you will find that you need not worry too much as Helensvale was not affected very much at all . I have friends there and were unaffected.