A Look at Life – Enjoying Valentine’s Day With Love

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by member Pete M.

Valentine's Day is seen as a day to celebrate romance, love and devotion. It is celebrated in honour of St. Valentine, a third-century Roman Saint associated with love and togetherness.

I feel that in recent times, the day has become more commercial, with gifts of chocolates and flowers being the main choice of couples vying for attention and acceptance. Sales of expensive jewellery also peak at this time due to those who can afford a more lavish approach. It is my belief that the amount expended is often based on the perceived expectations of the receiver.

Maybe it isn’t really necessary to spend lavishly just to impress your special ‘Valentine’. Perhaps you could just enjoy spending quality time together in each other’s company. Being with someone you are in love with and being loved by that someone in return would be a beautiful way of celebrating togetherness.

shutterstock_160164149 (1).jpg
How do you show your love? Image Credit: Shutterstock

My favourite quote for Valentine’s Day comes from Judy Garland. She once said, ‘For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.’

Yet, it seems the universal language of love is one we Australians often tend to shy away from. For some, it just doesn't seem to be 'the done thing' to be seen embracing your partner in public.

However, the simple act of walking together hand in hand can say so much for a relationship as there is an energy that unites the couple, where a word need not even be spoken.

A wise person once said, ‘Love is a decision, not just a feeling.’ And, when you think about it, feelings can come and go like the weather, but our decision to love one another is a commitment and survives all our feelings, frustrations and anxieties. While, for some, this commitment has maintained their relationship throughout the years, sadly, this is not the case for others.

For someone who is no longer with their partner, for whatever reason, special occasions like Valentine's Day, birthdays and anniversaries can be sad days. We need to be aware of those in this category and, if possible, just be there for them during these tough times.

As we grow in age and wisdom, each of us has a different story to relay about our individual journey. Our stories are depicted on a canvas that tells of hardships and pain, courage and perseverance, strength and endurance, of deep sorrow, as well as times of great joy.

As we travel along the pathways of our lives, it is important we reach out to those we meet who are in need. For, as Oscar Hammerstein once said, ‘Love in your heart isn’t put there to stay. Love isn’t love till you give it away.’ There is no doubt there will be times when we ourselves will find the help and support we need on those occasions when others reach out to us.

Today, there are many Australians, both young and elderly, doing it tough, and there is precious little incentive for them to celebrate occasions such as Valentine’s Day. So, while the florists might be charging an arm and a leg for long-stemmed red roses for those who can afford such luxuries, we need to be thankful if we have a loving partner or friend with whom we can share this occasion.

Perhaps we could consider maintaining our love relationship by just doing little things for each other on a daily basis, without seeking to receive anything in return. This would let us celebrate Valentine’s Day every day of the year instead of just on the 14th of February.

I’m Pete, and that’s life.

Note from the Editor:

If today has brought up difficult feelings, you may like to read this Ask Joy article on grief.

Are you looking for more immediate support? Here is a list of free mental health helplines.

We were only able to share this content because of the financial support of SDC Rewards members. If you'd like to see more of this (and a lot fewer ads!), please consider supporting us and signing up for SDC Rewards today—it starts at just 14 cents per day.

Sponsored
Well said, love doesn’t need a $ amount attached to it. Love can be shared everyday just by the things we do, the things we say and the way we say them. I feel very loved every day by the way hubby does things for me and the way he always speaks to me and I hope he feels loved every day by my actions towards him.

Well said, love doesn’t need a $ amount attached to it. Love can be shared everyday just by the things we do, the things we say and the way we say them. I feel very loved every day by the way hubby does things for me and the way he always speaks to me and I hope he feels loved every day by my actions towards him.
Congratulations Gsr. May the love light continue to shine with you both.

This Roman saint was not around back in my day. He must have arisen from the ashes. bugger, how many cards and roses did i miss out on?
Jest. I think it became more popular over recent years when it was seen to be of considerable commercial value to some. However, roses die and cards disintegrate. Make the most of any love that comes your way. I hope it is a happy day for you. Pete M.

Jest. I think it became more popular over recent years when it was seen to be of considerable commercial value to some. However, roses die and cards disintegrate. Make the most of any love that comes your way. I hope it is a happy day for you. Pete M.
disagree. I have a rose given to me from Corfu 2004. pressed and still going.

Reactions: Ursnpete