84-year-old Woolies shopper’s home delivery arrives “badly damaged”

Based on the comments left by several of our members in one of our previous stories, many of you folks have agreed that the online home delivery service at Woolworths is excellent.

Our member @Charles said: “I have used home delivery for quite a long time, and the majority of the home delivery people do an excellent job.”

Member @Jo-an agreed and wrote: “Have used this delivery service for approximately 2 years. Great for older people.”

“I even got a big bar of chocolate and a note saying sorry when an item was not available. Substitutes costing more are given. The delivery guys are great too. Well done Woolies,” she added.

And while most customers, especially seniors who can’t do much in-person shopping anymore, agree that Woolies home delivery service is a godsend, this is not always the case for every shopper.

According to one woman from Sydney, her 84-year-old mother had a very bad experience with the delivery service.

1QDO0zJEmw3Z79fk2NZJ2CnnURgZi8bZVb7OUFtCJ7DKzGWCksh92jni5Hxqfr8F5uCjLTCJ_oS4Hyrqnnh7qO2_14op7iqRI7cMszqJioV3nTLvk4wGWdQLKt9okuWyBdpfACzM

An 84-year-old woman’s groceries arrived badly damaged. Credit: Facebook.

Sharing on Facebook, the daughter expressed her frustration and disappointment at Woolworths after her 84-year-old mother’s groceries were “smashed and run over” and then left “dumped in the rain”.

The daughter posted photos of her mother’s home order (pictured above), showing that several of her items were badly damaged, which left them no choice but to throw them away.

Tin cans of fruits were smashed and destroyed, with the contents spilling out onto the plastic bag. The pack of bread was also seemingly opened and left in disarray.

In another bag, a packet of CC’s Corn Chips Original had burst open, leaving crushed and broken chips all over the grocery bag.

In the daughter’s post, she alleged that the Woolies delivery driver couldn’t find her mother’s unit, so he “hung up” on her and left the groceries somewhere else.

“They were dumped in the rain around 300 metres away and looked like they had been smashed or run over,” she said.

“We had to clean up the mess and throw all bags away.”

Woolworths has already reached out to the affected customers and completely replaced their damaged groceries.

“We pride ourselves on the service level of our home delivery option and we’re disappointed to have missed the mark on this occasion,” said a spokesperson for the supermarket.

“We’ve been in contact with the customer to apologise and will be looking into this as a matter of urgency.”

However, the daughter was still left fuming after no further actions were taken against the delivery driver.

“I can’t believe they say it's OK because they redelivered the order..... where's the accountability?” she wrote in the comments.

What do you think, folks?

Should the driver be reprimanded? Or was it enough that their groceries were replaced and redelivered?

Sponsored
Even the best laid plans can go awry. Yes it would have been inconvenient to receive so many damaged goods and I feel for them having to clean it up but with the huge number of home deliveries that Woolies perform on a daily basis a remarkably low percentage have problems. Woolies were quick to rectify the problem and re-deliver the whole order and I would be surprised if they didn't include a sweetener in the order.;)

Based on the comments left by several of our members in one of our previous stories, many of you folks have agreed that the online home delivery service at Woolworths is excellent.

Our member @Charles said: “I have used home delivery for quite a long time, and the majority of the home delivery people do an excellent job.”

Member @Jo-an agreed and wrote: “Have used this delivery service for approximately 2 years. Great for older people.”

“I even got a big bar of chocolate and a note saying sorry when an item was not available. Substitutes costing more are given. The delivery guys are great too. Well done Woolies,” she added.

And while most customers, especially seniors who can’t do much in-person shopping anymore, agree that Woolies home delivery service is a godsend, this is not always the case for every shopper.

According to one woman from Sydney, her 84-year-old mother had a very bad experience with the delivery service.

1QDO0zJEmw3Z79fk2NZJ2CnnURgZi8bZVb7OUFtCJ7DKzGWCksh92jni5Hxqfr8F5uCjLTCJ_oS4Hyrqnnh7qO2_14op7iqRI7cMszqJioV3nTLvk4wGWdQLKt9okuWyBdpfACzM

Sharing on Facebook, the daughter expressed her frustration and disappointment at Woolworths after her 84-year-old mother’s groceries were “smashed and run over” and then left “dumped in the rain”.

The daughter posted photos of her mother’s home order (pictured above), showing that several of her items were badly damaged, which left them no choice but to throw them away.

Tin cans of fruits were smashed and destroyed, with the contents spilling out onto the plastic bag. The pack of bread was also seemingly opened and left in disarray.

In another bag, a packet of CC’s Corn Chips Original had burst open, leaving crushed and broken chips all over the grocery bag.

In the daughter’s post, she alleged that the Woolies delivery driver couldn’t find her mother’s unit, so he “hung up” on her and left the groceries somewhere else.

“They were dumped in the rain around 300 metres away and looked like they had been smashed or run over,” she said.

Woolworths has already reached out to the affected customers and completely replaced their damaged groceries.

“We pride ourselves on the service level of our home delivery option and we’re disappointed to have missed the mark on this occasion,” said a spokesperson for the supermarket.

“We’ve been in contact with the customer to apologise and will be looking into this as a matter of urgency.”

However, the daughter was still left fuming after no further actions were taken against the delivery driver.

“I can’t believe they say it's OK because they redelivered the order..... where's the accountability?” she wrote in the comments.

Should the driver be reprimanded? Or was it enough that their groceries were replaced and redelivered?
He needed to be talked too at least

Reactions: Ricci

Something like this cannot be ignored. the Driver must take responsibility for His Actions. He should NOT be allowed to Deliver ANY Groceries . How did He think He was going to get away with NOT delivering Groceries?? He is NOT thinking of customers receiving their Groceries safely. This should NEVER Happen..

The driver should be hung, drawn and quartered! But seriously, it’s my belief that the driver should have been made to issue a written, if not in person apology to the customer. If he apologised in person, he’d know how to find her unit next time. Also, Woolies should have deducted the cost of the order from his wages. However, I doubt they’d be allowed to do that.

I doubt very much anything will happen to the driver, seems now no one is responsible for their actions anymore, there will be an excuse why he did this, depression, mother sick etc.. etc.. sad but true.

The driver should be sacked. How many other customers has he done this to.

I think everybody should take a "chill pill"
Seems that everything here is being dropped on the driver because of some upset daughters "allegation", an allegation that in the story has not been verified or proven.
The daughter was not satisfied that Woolies were looking into the matter with urgency...... she most likely wanted the driver Shot on the spot.
Yes, they have had a bad experience and Woolies have acknowledged that by replacing the customers order, but nobody can be judged (as the driver is being) without having all the facts, facts that Woolies would be finding out as they conduct their investigation.
As for the way the driver is treated, Woolies and every other employer in the country have rules and protocols that MUST BE FOLLOWED in dealing with the employee or contractor........ There are very few instances where an employee can be dismissed on the spot, and certainly a poor delivery effort is not one of them.
Let the facts come out of the investigation and then Woolies will determine an appropriate course of action.
Decisions and actions within a business should be made based on proven and supported FACTS, not the immediate response feelings we have upon hearing one side of an issue.

The driver should be sacked. How many other customers has he done this to.
Sacking the driver will not achieve anything as this does not mean that s/he will change their approach in their next job. Woolworths does have to address the issue, yes, but this is not a sackable offence!

That's disgusting and unfair. Did she call the store to complian?. Hope so.
The customer did. The article clearly states: Woolworths has already reached out to the affected customers and completely replaced their damaged groceries. and then goes on to say that the customer's daughter was not satisfied with this and felt the store should have done more.

Reactions: Ricci
there is a lot of drivers that are very kind and will carry the groceries to the kitchen table cause being and injured elderly person i can't carry the bags and my son is at work i had a couple of indians that refuse to bring them in to the kitchen their excuse is the are not allowed because of covid19 they said they will get sacked so they leave then inside the door not happy yesterday i had an argument with the driver and told him it was bullshit what he was saying cause i mention it to the driver the next grocerie delivery and every other driver told me the same think quote if you have a disability they must help the person if woolies doesn't fix this problem i will do online shopping somewhere else and they will lose a valued customer i have been with them for years so do something about the drivers most of them are good you get a couple that are not doing their job marg :mad:(n):cry:

• Sad
Reactions: DrChip and Ricci
there is a lot of drivers that are very kind and will carry the groceries to the kitchen table cause being and injured elderly person i can't carry the bags and my son is at work i had a couple of indians that refuse to bring them in to the kitchen their excuse is the are not allowed because of covid19 they said they will get sacked so they leave then inside the door not happy yesterday i had an argument with the driver and told him it was bullshit what he was saying cause i mention it to the driver the next grocerie delivery and every other driver told me the same think quote if you have a disability they must help the person if woolies doesn't fix this problem i will do online shopping somewhere else and they will lose a valued customer i have been with them for years so do something about the drivers most of them are good you get a couple that are not doing their job marg :mad:(n):cry:
I think the drivers are protecting them selves by not entering your home & just putting them inside your door. If anything goes missing who would they blame? How about not being so aggressive in the tone of your voice & not demanding they put parcels inside.Asking nicely & perhaps they might do it. Imagine how long the deliveries will take if everyone demands this service.

Reactions: DrChip and Ricci