‘Standards are down’: Coles new security feature concerns shoppers

In a world where the cost of living seems to be on the rise, supermarkets are often seen as battlegrounds of the everyday budget.

With prices for essentials creeping higher, it's no surprise that some individuals might resort to desperate measures.

However, Coles is taking a stand against shoplifting by implementing a new security measure that has sparked quite a conversation among shoppers.

Coles has recently initiated a trial that involved placing security tags on selected high-value items, such as meat, in some of their stores.

This move is a direct response to the increasing rates of shoplifting, which have escalated alongside the cost of living crisis gripping the nation.

photo.jpg
hoppers were concerned about Coles’ new security feature. Credit: @aaliUGh / Reddit

The security tags, designed to trigger alarms if the tagged items are taken without being scanned at the checkout, have been spotted on products like steaks, causing a stir on social media.

Images of the tagged meat prompted a range of reactions from users, with some expressing their disdain through humour and others voicing their concern over the implications of such measures.

One social media user quipped about the high value of meat, saying, 'Considering they’re worth more than gold, a security tag is a lightweight solution.'

Another user lamented, ‘Love walking into my grocery like a prison too. Hope they bring in pat-downs next month.’

‘It’s a good day to be vegetarian, they ain’t guarding the tofu,’ another added.

The sentiment that security tags on food items are a depressing sign of the times was echoed across the thread, with one user poignantly stating, 'Down down, standards are down.’

The tags are designed to be removed by staff members and can still be processed through self-serve checkouts.

A Coles spokesperson has emphasised that this is a 'very small trial' currently limited to just ten stores in Victoria.

They reassured that most Coles customers 'do the right thing in store'.

‘Measures like this are for the ones who don’t,’ they said.

‘We are always reassessing and trying new security measures and are keen to hear local feedback on the trial.’

Despite the rise in shoplifting rates, there has been limited public outrage, which some attribute to the perception of supermarket price gouging amidst the cost of living crisis.

Coles Group supermarkets reported a total sales revenue growth of 5.9 per cent to $40.5 billion during the 2023 financial year.

Coles has been implementing strict security measures in their efforts to curb theft and protect their staff and customers.

Last year, the supermarket giant also faced criticism from its customers for introducing a ‘prison-like’ security feature. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Coles is trialling security tags on high-value items such as meat at some stores to combat shoplifting amidst a cost of living crisis.
  • The trial has sparked debate among consumers, with some expressing disdain on social media platforms like Reddit.
  • A trial involving security tags is currently being conducted at only ten stores in Victoria to deter theft.
  • Community reaction to shoplifting and these security measures is mixed, with some understanding the need for such steps and others commenting on the state of poverty and the cost of living.
Have you seen security tags on products in your nearest supermarket? Let us know in the comments below!

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: Harro1948 and BJM
Sponsored
The Coles near me have a mettle line that you have to pass over to get out. One day I could not get the trolley to go over this line. A Coles worker came up to me saying that I went to fast over this strip. REALLY! I have Arthritis in Both Hip and most time I need help to my car with my Trolley. SO what do other shoppers Who walk fast do. I have never scene this happen to any other shopper in the four years that I have lived in this area.
What is the World coming to When a person in their late 60 can't even go shopping!
I went though a normal check out not a self serve.

• Wow
Reactions: Liz
SOLUTION!!!! Employ MORE STAFF, have EVERY CHECKOUT operating, GET RID of the SERVE YOURSELF checkouts - why should customers pay top dollar for items then have to be a checkout person as well. Coles you are not paying customers to work for you and if you insist then customers should get a HUGE discount or a salary for doing your work for you saving you money and putting others out of work.

I really don’t understand why people are “shocked” by having to go through the various security measures being implemented in supermarkets. You’ve been filmed, had security tags removed from clothing at checkouts, set off alarms when leaving a variety of shops, had bag inspection for years now with very little complaint and sometimes even great amusement, so why are supermarkets suddenly different from the multitude of other shops you’ve done business in over a number of years? People are starting to look kinda foolish with all their carry-on.

I'm waiting for reports that these measures are doing some good. Honest people are paying for these security features, not Coles. It will be interesting to when we see how much the profits has risen at the end of the financial year. I'm expecting it will go from $40.5 billion to $60 billion.

Reactions: elaine41
With the prices of meat, I'm not surprised... it's almost worth its weight in gold.... I steer clear of meant...resort to weeds in the garden.....

Reactions: Liz
I'm waiting for reports that these measures are doing some good. Honest people are paying for these security features, not Coles. It will be interesting to when we see how much the profits has risen at the end of the financial year. I'm expecting it will go from $40.5 billion to $60 billion.

You may want to read the financial, revenue isn't profit, the figure you are stating was not profit, the profit (6 monthly) was $580 million (not billions). That equates to about a 5% return. Most superannuation funds hold shares in these companies, so if people want to see an 8% annual increase on their funds the blue chips of this country need to make profits, otherwise the super funds don't see ANY return, just the increase from EMPLOYER contribution(s). Needless to say shoplifting is paid by increased prices that honest shoppers pay. Someone has to pay for the loss and only way other than these (question the legitimacy of this story) measures is what? Welfare in this country already exceeds the income tax received by the Feds but still the entitled seem to think it's ok to just take and not pay of for that matter contribute to the economy.

Well by increasing prices for no reason other than greed then whos the thief
maybre the big shops should tags on overpriced items and not let them leave the store and then watch the profits go down
EVERY THING IS OVERPRICED

Reactions: IAN3005
You may want to read the financial, revenue isn't profit, the figure you are stating was not profit, the profit (6 monthly) was $580 million (not billions). That equates to about a 5% return. Most superannuation funds hold shares in these companies, so if people want to see an 8% annual increase on their funds the blue chips of this country need to make profits, otherwise the super funds don't see ANY return, just the increase from EMPLOYER contribution(s). Needless to say shoplifting is paid by increased prices that honest shoppers pay. Someone has to pay for the loss and only way other than these (question the legitimacy of this story) measures is what? Welfare in this country already exceeds the income tax received by the Feds but still the entitled seem to think it's ok to just take and not pay of for that matter contribute to the economy.
"but still the entitled seem to think it's ok to just take and not pay of for that matter contribute to the economy."

Who are these entitled people?

But if they walk out the door and the alarm goes of who’s going to stop them. I believe staff are not allowed to chase and very few stores have security guards. Could result in more jobs for security.

Reactions: elaine41
These security tags have been at my Coles store for sometime now!!
They are in place for a reason to STOP theft…big supermarkets are in the business to make money…they are not a charity…
If you are not a shoplifter, then there is no reason to get up in arms about these measures.
Shop, scan ALL your items, pay the amount requested and leave the store!
“Honesty is the best policy“

Last edited:
I really don’t understand why people are “shocked” by having to go through the various security measures being implemented in supermarkets. You’ve been filmed, had security tags removed from clothing at checkouts, set off alarms when leaving a variety of shops, had bag inspection for years now with very little complaint and sometimes even great amusement, so why are supermarkets suddenly different from the multitude of other shops you’ve done business in over a number of years? People are starting to look kinda foolish with all their carry-on.
Well it's getting ridiculous when you get a security tag on a steak but the stores are doing it because the are charging at $60.00 per kg.

My guess is that thieving slugs will carry a knife and cut off the tags and still steal at will, causing our costs increasing even more from their theft . I have seen, in the past, two women , who had put trays of meat under a very young baby in the pram, not paying for them but thankfully get stopped by a guard outside the store. It beats me how thieves don't have a conscience- I have gone through hard times, we did without and I managed to make tasty meals for the family somehow with cheap cuts of meat Never bought pre packaged meals or Maccas -yuk etc but then I do enjoy cooking

Reactions: Scaveola