‘Is this correct?’: Coles clarifies ‘free’ scanning policy loophole

Navigating the supermarket aisles can be a mundane task, but what if there was a secret that could add a little excitement to your grocery and save you money?

Coles, one of Australia's leading supermarket chains, has a policy to ensure customers are charged accurately at the register.

Every savvy shopper should know this little-known loophole, especially when every penny counts.

Coles has its 'Promise on Price Scanning' policy for its shoppers.

According to its website, ‘All Coles supermarkets apply our “Promise on Price Scanning” to ensure pricing accuracy at our in-store registers.’

shutterstock_1511678018.jpg
Coles has its 'Promise on Price Scanning' for its shoppers. Credit: Shutterstock

‘A scanning error can happen if an item has been scanned, or the correct Price Lookup Up (PLU) number entered, and a price higher than the advertised or ticketed price displays at the checkout or on the receipt.’

‘If a single item scans at a higher price than the advertised or ticketed shelf price for that item, we will give you that item free.’

However, there's been a common misconception about when this policy applies.

Many shoppers believed that to take advantage of the free item, they had to purchase the incorrectly priced product first and then present the receipt to the service desk for a refund.

This belief implied that if you caught the error at the self-checkout before paying, you wouldn't be eligible for the freebie.

Coles has clarified this misunderstanding, and this is good news for shoppers.

According to a Coles spokesperson, ‘All Coles Supermarkets apply “Our Promise on Price Scanning” to ensure confidence in the pricing accuracy at our registers.’

'If a single item scans at a higher price than the advertised or ticketed shelf price for that item, we will give the customer that item free.'

This applies regardless of whether the item has been paid for or not.

The story came to light when a Coles customer took to social media to seek clarification after an item they were purchasing scanned at the incorrect price.

‘Coles, at self-checkout. Scanned item, and it displayed incorrect price,’ they wrote.

‘Notified Coles [staff] member and they changed the price to ticketed price. I asked why not free as per policy and was told as I had not yet paid, that policy did not apply. Is this correct?’

It’s understood that the Coles staff member was incorrect in informing the customer about the information, and the Coles Customer Care team is reaching out to them for a full refund.

It's important to note that while this policy is applicable in most stores, there are some exceptions.

The 'Promise on Price Scanning' does not apply to tobacco and liquor products, items over $50, third-party gift cards, Telco recharge vouchers, or items without a barcode or PLU number.

Additionally, if the wrong PLU number is entered manually, the policy does not apply.
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper has highlighted a loophole in the supermarket's 'Promise on Price Scanning' policy, which offers an item for free if it scans at a higher price than advertised.
  • It was previously thought that the policy only applied to items purchased and paid for before the scanning error was reported, but Coles confirmed that this wasn’t the case.
  • Customers are entitled to receive the incorrectly scanned item for free regardless of whether they've paid for it.
  • There are some exceptions to the policy, including tobacco and liquor, items over $50, third-party gift cards, Telco recharge vouchers, and items without a barcode or PLU number.
Have you ever benefited from Coles' scanning policy, or do you have other money-saving tips for grocery shopping? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
This happened to me at Woollies. They only give a refund if you have paid. Next time I wont be pointing out their error before payment. Not necessarily because I want it for free, it was their attitude. Extremely rude staff.

Yes!!! Great news, will pay more attention to the specials now when they go through instead of chinwagging so much.😂😂😂

Reactions: VK2LEE
Here's food for thought. I found $15 left in the checkout so I called over a staff member telling her someone has forgotten to take their cash. She said thanks and started to walk off so I asked don't you want my details. She said no we give it to charity and that it is a Coles policy. I thought it was finders keepers...🤔

Here's food for thought. I found $15 left in the checkout so I called over a staff member telling her someone has forgotten to take their cash. She said thanks and started to walk off so I asked don't you want my details. She said no we give it to charity and that it is a Coles policy. I thought it was finders keepers...🤔
Well that's an eye opener!!!

No, 'finders' keepers' is a myth.

On the 'finders' keepers' thought.

If you find, you are meant to report the find.

If you instead keep, you could be charged with stealing.

Reactions: terri
It's not just Coles, it's an industry standard that applies to ALL retail association members (pretty much all the big boys of retail). The code says, the first is free and the remainder are at the correct ticketed price.

Surely there are more serious issues to worry about instead of Coles, Woolies and Adli bashing?
The only way we are able to keep on top of Coles and Woolies domination in the supermarket biopolies.
I have always checked when specials [or free items] are listed. If they go through at a incorrect or charged price then I call the attendant [if one there] and inform them of the error and demand that the item if free or special if given to me ''free'' for the incorrect scanning. Be aware it happens all the time. Keep a good eye on your basket and the scanner checkout.

Well they would have no idea who left it there, so its finders keepers... Keep it next time.

• Wow
More likely the “charity” is their social club fund 🤨

I would’ve kept it… not said anything to the attendant. If someone is silly enough to leave their $15 change in the money slot then it’s finders keepers

No social fund where I worked. We held onto it at service desk until end of day so customer could come back if they remembered they left it. Then it went into days takings. So not charity and not social fund.