This unknown Coles shopping policy could put dollars back in your pocket and get you some items for free!

In recent months, many have been feeling the pinch in their pockets caused by the skyrocketing grocery prices.

But one Coles customer has gone public with a tip that could take some serious dollars off your weekly grocery bill.

The shopper, who goes by @SydneyTamrin on social media, shared how he had scored almost $150 off his Coles shopping bill in just two days—and it’s all thanks to familiarising himself with Coles’ Promise on Price Scanning policy.

Photo_20230915_085748_0000.png
One shopper got his dishwasher tablets for free because of Coles’ Promise on Price Scanning policy. Image source: TikTok/@sydneytamrin.

In his video, he showed his Coles receipt and asked: 'Notice how the first line of 74-pack of dishwasher tablets is free?'

'This is why it pays to take notice of prices while you’re shopping,' the shopper said.

'Most people don’t know this, but all of the major supermarkets are bound by something [called] the Supermarket Scanning Code of Practice—as it’s generally known.'

The policy, which applies to all Coles supermarkets, states that if a scanning error happens then you will get that item free.

'A scanning error can happen if an item has been scanned, or the correct Price Look-up (PLU) number entered, and a price higher than the advertised or ticketed price displays at the checkout or on the receipt,' said Coles on its website.

The shopper’s video showed how he had saved $48 on his first Coles shopping trip when a packet of Somat Excellence Capsules scanned at the wrong price.

You can watch his first video below:

He then returned to the store the following day and purchased another two packs of the dishwashing tablets—only to find that they, too, had been incorrectly priced which scored him another $50.

'I did what any normal, reasonable and rational person would do in the same circumstances, I doubled down and went two for two,' he said.

For multiple identical items with a scanning error, Coles will give the first item free, and the remaining items at the advertised or ticketed shelf price.

Other users were quick to point out that shoppers should purchase the item first before bringing up the scanning error.

'It doesn’t work if you flag it with the checkout worker before you’ve paid for it,' one said.

'I was told by Woolies that [it’s] only free AFTER I've bought the product. So I'd have to pay for it then return it and get a full refund,' another said.

However, according to CHOICE, it may not be necessary for shoppers to have paid for the items first to be entitled to receive the first item free of charge.

A Coles spokesperson said that the supermarket was proud to offer the policy to provide customers.

'All Coles Supermarkets apply “Our Promise on Price Scanning” to ensure confidence in the pricing accuracy at our registers,' the spokesperson said.

'If a single item scans at a higher price than the advertised or ticketed shelf price for that item, we will give the customer that item free.'

'Our Promise on Price Scanning goes above and beyond the requirements of the Australian Consumer Law, which requires businesses to refund the difference between any overcharged amount and the correct price of the item.'

However, Coles’ Promise on Price Scanning is not applicable to all items, so it pays to review what the coding does and does not cover. You may refer to the infographic below for more information on excluded items:

Coles Promise on Price exclude.jpg
Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper has shared a tip on social media that can allow customers to save money based on the supermarket's Promise on Price Scanning policy.
  • This policy promises that if an item scans at a higher price than the advertised or ticketed shelf price, the shopper will receive that item for free.
  • This strategy resulted in the customer receiving just under $150 in refunds in two days packets of of dishwashing tablets were scanned at the incorrect price.
  • The Supermarket Scanning Code of Practice is a policy that extends across many Australian supermarkets.
Did you know about this policy? Have you ever used this policy in-store? Share your experience with us in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
In recent months, many have been feeling the pinch in their pockets caused by the skyrocketing grocery prices.

But one Coles customer has gone public with a tip that could take some serious dollars off your weekly grocery bill.

The shopper, who goes by @SydneyTamrin on social media, shared how he had scored almost $150 off his Coles shopping bill in just two days—and it’s all thanks to familiarising himself with Coles’ Promise on Price Scanning policy.

View attachment 29964
One shopper got his dishwasher tablets for free because of Coles’ Promise on Price Scanning policy. Image source: TikTok/@sydneytamrin.

In his video, he showed his Coles receipt and asked: 'Notice how the first line of 74-pack of dishwasher tablets is free?'

'This is why it pays to take notice of prices while you’re shopping,' the shopper said.

'Most people don’t know this, but all of the major supermarkets are bound by something [called] the Supermarket Scanning Code of Practice—as it’s generally known.'

The policy, which applies to all Coles supermarkets, states that if a scanning error happens then you will get that item free.

'A scanning error can happen if an item has been scanned, or the correct Price Look-up (PLU) number entered, and a price higher than the advertised or ticketed price displays at the checkout or on the receipt,' said Coles on its website.

The shopper’s video showed how he had saved $48 on his first Coles shopping trip when a packet of Somat Excellence Capsules scanned at the wrong price.

He then returned to the store the following day and purchased another two packs of the dishwashing tablets—only to find that they, too, had been incorrectly priced which scored him another $50.

'I did what any normal, reasonable and rational person would do in the same circumstances, I doubled down and went two for two,' he said.

For multiple identical items with a scanning error, Coles will give the first item free, and the remaining items at the advertised or ticketed shelf price.

Other users were quick to point out that shoppers should purchase the item first before bringing up the scanning error.

'It doesn’t work if you flag it with the checkout worker before you’ve paid for it,' one said.

'I was told by Woolies that [it’s] only free AFTER I've bought the product. So I'd have to pay for it then return it and get a full refund,' another said.

However, according to CHOICE, it may not be necessary for shoppers to have paid for the items first to be entitled to receive the first item free of charge.

A Coles spokesperson said that the supermarket was proud to offer the policy to provide customers.

'All Coles Supermarkets apply “Our Promise on Price Scanning” to ensure confidence in the pricing accuracy at our registers,' the spokesperson said.

'If a single item scans at a higher price than the advertised or ticketed shelf price for that item, we will give the customer that item free.'

'Our Promise on Price Scanning goes above and beyond the requirements of the Australian Consumer Law, which requires businesses to refund the difference between any overcharged amount and the correct price of the item.'

However, Coles’ Promise on Price Scanning is not applicable to all items, so it pays to review what the coding does and does not cover. You may refer to the infographic below for more information on excluded items:

View attachment 30045
Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper has shared a tip on social media that can allow customers to save money based on the supermarket's Promise on Price Scanning policy.
  • This policy promises that if an item scans at a higher price than the advertised or ticketed shelf price, the shopper will receive that item for free.
  • This strategy resulted in the customer receiving just under $150 in refunds in two days packets of of dishwashing tablets were scanned at the incorrect price.
  • The Supermarket Scanning Code of Practice is a policy that extends across many Australian supermarkets.
Did you know about this policy? Have you ever used this policy in-store? Share your experience with us in the comments below!

I knew about this policy. But wow the guy who did this ..not once but 3 times overall..seriously do you have nothing better to do? Are you so perfect...because humans do enter the prices..it makes me laugh when people such as the above, even go so far as to make a video about it, what an amazingly boring life you have.

View attachment 29964

View attachment 30045
Key Takeaways

This policy has been around since Adam was a boy. What Mr life hack of the century fails to realise is that his scanning error & good fortune receiving the product for free then, becomes a problem for the future consumers making purchases and having to deal with price rises as Coles have to recoup their losses somehow 🙃

View attachment 29964

View attachment 30045
Key Takeaways

I’ve had it happen before & you don’t have to pay for it first.
When they scan it you just alert them that it’s scanning with the wrong price & they’ll do a price check & give it to you for free!

Supermarket needs to offer an incentive to it's staff when and item is incorrectly scanning. Maybe offer a monetary bonus to staff to make sure the error is corrected. Not sure why someone needs to put it on social media other than the craving of attention. Just keep it to yourself and then pocket the benefit. Had a similar situation in 1 of the 2 big booze outlets, was scanning a $45 bottle of wine at $15: purchased, told the cashier I think it maybe worth checking the shelf price against what is coming up when scanned, then walked out and back the next day, scan checked price (not changed) so 'purchased' the remaining stock on the shelf and the 'special price'. Ethically wrong, but was brought to the attention of the staff on the initial purchase, so supermarkets needs to offer a reward to their staff to minimise these errors.

Maybe the gentleman just wanted to share his joy at saving a few dollars. Perhaps he wanted to advertise to everyone who may not have been aware of this well-known fact. I just thought he was trying to help others save some money...

View attachment 29964

View attachment 30045
Key Takeaways

You DON'T pay first - you speak up and make them adhere to the scanning code - they legally have too! But there is nothing that says you can not buy more than one in separate transactions and get them for free too (if they let you get away with THAT - usually they will be quick to change the price as they are losing money if more people start going for the scanning code).

You DON'T pay first - you speak up and make them adhere to the scanning code - they legally have too! But there is nothing that says you can not buy more than one in separate transactions and get them for free too (if they let you get away with THAT - usually they will be quick to change the price as they are losing money if more people start going for the scanning code).
And what a serious waste of time for anyone!

Reactions: Tervueren