‘Dole bludger’? Expert explains why common criticism of Centrelink recipients misses the mark

Navigating the job market can be daunting for anyone, but the hurdles can be even higher for those receiving Centrelink benefits.

As the debate over welfare payments flares up with the latest increase in Centrelink payments, it's time to shed light on the hidden struggles many recipients face and dispel the unfair stereotypes that often accompany discussions about unemployment and welfare.

The latest indexation to payments will see five million Australians on Centrelink get a modest increase in their payments, with up to $20 extra per fortnight.

While any increase is welcome, especially in the face of rising living costs, it's important to understand that these payments are indexed to inflation and represent a mere 1.8 per cent rise, hardly enough to keep pace with the rapidly increasing cost of living.

The term 'dole bludger' is a harsh label that has been used to stigmatise those on welfare, suggesting a lack of willingness to work.

However, experts, including Dr Elise Klein from the Australian National University, have highlighted the complex reality many Centrelink recipients face, which often goes unnoticed by the general public.

compressed-shutterstock_1664319367.jpeg
Those on Centrelink payments sometimes face criticism for their supposed dependence on welfare. Is it all that simple? Image Credit: Shutterstock

Dr Klein points out that a significant number of those on social security are engaged in work that isn’t compensated financially.

'A lot of folks that are on social security are doing huge amounts of unpaid work, particularly unpaid care work,' Dr Klein said late last year.

Additionally, many recipients grapple with health issues or disabilities that make it difficult, if not impossible, to work.

According to Dr Klein, the tightening of disability support pension eligibility over a decade ago has pushed many with partial work abilities onto the lower-paying JobSeeker benefit, leaving them to struggle with inadequate financial support while dealing with serious health concerns.

'When you're battling cancer or know you have disability, you're not looking for work,' she added.

'You can't be looking for work; you're trying to stay alive.’

'The whole rationale behind JobSeeker is a complete mismatch to where people are at.'

The challenges don't end there.

Dr Klein said that location can be a significant barrier for welfare recipients, particularly in remote areas where job opportunities are scarce.

Moreover, the policy requirements for Job Seekers and Youth Allowance recipients to fulfil mutual obligations, such as actively seeking work, attending interviews, and participating in training, can be overwhelming and counterproductive.

For Dr Klein, it’s high time for a change—or an overhaul.

'The payments are so low that people are finding themselves below the poverty line, and that's a major barrier for people being able to go out and look for work,' she said.

'There's a huge body of Australian-specific research that shows that mutual obligations work against people.’

'Folks that are actually subject to mutual obligations don't want them and say that they're really harmful and impact their confidence and ability to go out and look for work.’

'They take up people's precious time, and they're completely at odds with the reality.'

The Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) has advocated for an increase in income support payments to a level that allows recipients to afford basic necessities.

Cassandra Goldie, CEO of ACOSS, argues that the current rate of JobSeeker and related payments is insufficient, leaving over a million people struggling to make ends meet.

To address this, she says bumping JobSeeker and related payments to $80 daily would be adequate.

'The changes will still leave more than one million people relying on JobSeeker and related payments struggling to survive, with JobSeeker rising by just 96 cents a day to $55 a day,' Ms Goldie said.

'It is completely insufficient for people who are barely surviving, forced to ration food and medicine or suffer through sweltering heat because they cannot afford to cool their homes.

'With unemployment expected to rise this year, lifting income support is not only the right thing to do; it provides an essential buffer against falling living standards and rising job losses.'
Key Takeaways

• Centrelink recipients are facing challenges and misconceptions when it comes to finding employment, with unfair comments like 'get a job' undermining their efforts.
  • Dr Elise Klein from the Australian National University has identified volunteering commitments, health issues, financial hardship, and location as key obstacles for Centrelink recipients seeking jobs.
  • The debate over welfare payments is in focus as Centrelink payments have been indexed, providing a modest increase to recipients that some argue is still insufficient to lift them above the poverty line.
  • Advocates, including the Australian Council of Social Service, are urging the government to increase income support payments to match the pension rate to ensure recipients can afford basic living expenses.
Members, share your thoughts and experiences with Centrelink and the job market (for those who’ve decided to return to work). Have you or someone you know faced these challenges? What changes would you like to see to make the system fairer for everyone?

Last edited:
Sponsored
I know many people covered in tattoos and smokers who work in highly paid jobs such as the medical and technical fields. What does that make them? Not to mention illicit drug users to boot.

Another unfounded generalisation.

And what is the reason you are hanging around the "dole office"?
Now that was a good point

Never foget it was bob hawke who frst named people on unemployment benifits dole bludgers and every followng govt govts including labor have jumped on the term ever since
Bullshit.

From the early 1970s, Australian voters began to hear of "dole bludgers".

The first person to use the phrase was Liberal MP Bert Kelly, who was a pioneer of bringing "New Right" political ideas to Australia.

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05...-1970s-to-serve-a-political-purpose/100174356

Do not make assumptions.

Reactions: Ingot
Finally, get rid of the basically 'useless' system of job search providers as this is a financial drain on the system and from experience with this, personally and through others, they do very little to actually help find work for those attending. It seems to be just an extension of the 'obligatory' system that help those NOT wanting to work.

Just my thoughts, but this is how I see it.
Agree 100% on getting rid of the Corporations growing fat on the "JobSearch" industry.
Many people do not know that when these corporations do find a person a job, or place them in a training coutse, they get paid by the Government.
If the person lasts 3 months in that jod/traineeship, they get a further payment.
If they last a year, they get a further payment.
Sometimes the payments are more than the salary/wages of the person placed in a job.
We need to bring back the Commonwealth Employment System>
It was a great system, but lobbyists and the govt itself were persuaded to fiddle with it, until it is what we have today - a big fat white elephant that is burgeoning every year, but less useful than the year before.

As an example of Government incompetence - just look at the Queensland Health Payroll Software system.

"What began as an AU$6.19 million contract between the State of Queensland and IBM Australia to replace Queensland Health’s aging payroll system eventually led to over 35,000 payroll mistakes and will ultimately cost taxpayers a whopping AU$1.25 billion, which translates to approximately US$850 million."

Young people, after leaving school, need to get into the working world. Some will have desires to go to university, some will get apprenticeships, or be pushed by their parents into some job. But a lot of young people due to bad parenting, lack of ambition, or even not knowing what career they should choose, will end up as shrinking violets and develop a life, not around work, but around just surviving. After a few years, with no marketable skills, and the fear of entering a job, it's easier to just keep 'existing'.
The government should make sure every young person is involved in learning a skill or trade with which they will eventually be able to earn a living in. The gov. should help financially, and provide free TAFE courses and councillors, to make sure every student passes the exams. It would be money well spent because it would save the gov. a lot of money not having to support these people later in life, and also deal with less crime. The devil finds work for idle hands.
That's why I am against young people taking "a sabbatical year" after completing their studies. Some travel, or just chill.

The world is not going to wait for them to apply for a position - it will move on, and by the time they get off their fat acres, technology has moved on, and other people with current skills snap up what's offered.

Thus is born another over-qualified wall-flower.

Ban gap years after high school too.
A lot of bad habits are learned in this time, and lives ruined.

Reactions: June613
A very typical and tragic scenario - I’m glad I live in a country where people in your circumstances have access to at least some help. Blessings to you both
Hi Suzanne what you wrote is spot on, where I live there was a couple who lived over the road the man was a invalid pensioner and a wood merchant which I find it impossible to fathom out how you can be both he moved in with the woman who owns the house so he had a place to live, when she passed away they family kicked him out the same day which I thought was karma so he had to go into the age care centre not a happy person (karma in action).

I have worked all my adult life except for 13 months when I was on maternity leave with my son 32 years ago. I am not on Jobseeker through no fault of my own in 2015 the place I was working at made alot of us workers redundant (I was there for 7 1/2 years) (they preferred Korean students) so for no lack of trying to find another job I worked in a supermarket, McDonalds, Aged Care homes. I am a chronic migraine sufferer, I suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands and I also had breast cancer. I now have to look for 10 jobs to keep my payments. As well as trying to finish off 120 hours to complete a Cert III in Community Services, hoping that I will get a job out of it but the chances are kind of slim.
I am not a dole bludger, or have tattoos, or smoke etc etc. I am just a person who tries to make ends meet with what the government gives me.
I know that there are people out there that "MILK" the system I knew someone like that but she was bought up like that and knew nothing different..
I cannot get disability because what I have is not classified as anything that is what the person at Centrelink told me when I was last there.
The system is broken and in my opinion it needs to be overhauled to try to accomdate everyone.