‘Dole bludger’? Expert explains why common criticism of Centrelink recipients misses the mark

Navigating the job market can be daunting for anyone, but the hurdles can be even higher for those receiving Centrelink benefits.

As the debate over welfare payments flares up with the latest increase in Centrelink payments, it's time to shed light on the hidden struggles many recipients face and dispel the unfair stereotypes that often accompany discussions about unemployment and welfare.

The latest indexation to payments will see five million Australians on Centrelink get a modest increase in their payments, with up to $20 extra per fortnight.

While any increase is welcome, especially in the face of rising living costs, it's important to understand that these payments are indexed to inflation and represent a mere 1.8 per cent rise, hardly enough to keep pace with the rapidly increasing cost of living.

The term 'dole bludger' is a harsh label that has been used to stigmatise those on welfare, suggesting a lack of willingness to work.

However, experts, including Dr Elise Klein from the Australian National University, have highlighted the complex reality many Centrelink recipients face, which often goes unnoticed by the general public.

compressed-shutterstock_1664319367.jpeg
Those on Centrelink payments sometimes face criticism for their supposed dependence on welfare. Is it all that simple? Image Credit: Shutterstock

Dr Klein points out that a significant number of those on social security are engaged in work that isn’t compensated financially.

'A lot of folks that are on social security are doing huge amounts of unpaid work, particularly unpaid care work,' Dr Klein said late last year.

Additionally, many recipients grapple with health issues or disabilities that make it difficult, if not impossible, to work.

According to Dr Klein, the tightening of disability support pension eligibility over a decade ago has pushed many with partial work abilities onto the lower-paying JobSeeker benefit, leaving them to struggle with inadequate financial support while dealing with serious health concerns.

'When you're battling cancer or know you have disability, you're not looking for work,' she added.

'You can't be looking for work; you're trying to stay alive.’

'The whole rationale behind JobSeeker is a complete mismatch to where people are at.'

The challenges don't end there.

Dr Klein said that location can be a significant barrier for welfare recipients, particularly in remote areas where job opportunities are scarce.

Moreover, the policy requirements for Job Seekers and Youth Allowance recipients to fulfil mutual obligations, such as actively seeking work, attending interviews, and participating in training, can be overwhelming and counterproductive.

For Dr Klein, it’s high time for a change—or an overhaul.

'The payments are so low that people are finding themselves below the poverty line, and that's a major barrier for people being able to go out and look for work,' she said.

'There's a huge body of Australian-specific research that shows that mutual obligations work against people.’

'Folks that are actually subject to mutual obligations don't want them and say that they're really harmful and impact their confidence and ability to go out and look for work.’

'They take up people's precious time, and they're completely at odds with the reality.'

The Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) has advocated for an increase in income support payments to a level that allows recipients to afford basic necessities.

Cassandra Goldie, CEO of ACOSS, argues that the current rate of JobSeeker and related payments is insufficient, leaving over a million people struggling to make ends meet.

To address this, she says bumping JobSeeker and related payments to $80 daily would be adequate.

'The changes will still leave more than one million people relying on JobSeeker and related payments struggling to survive, with JobSeeker rising by just 96 cents a day to $55 a day,' Ms Goldie said.

'It is completely insufficient for people who are barely surviving, forced to ration food and medicine or suffer through sweltering heat because they cannot afford to cool their homes.

'With unemployment expected to rise this year, lifting income support is not only the right thing to do; it provides an essential buffer against falling living standards and rising job losses.'
Key Takeaways

• Centrelink recipients are facing challenges and misconceptions when it comes to finding employment, with unfair comments like 'get a job' undermining their efforts.
  • Dr Elise Klein from the Australian National University has identified volunteering commitments, health issues, financial hardship, and location as key obstacles for Centrelink recipients seeking jobs.
  • The debate over welfare payments is in focus as Centrelink payments have been indexed, providing a modest increase to recipients that some argue is still insufficient to lift them above the poverty line.
  • Advocates, including the Australian Council of Social Service, are urging the government to increase income support payments to match the pension rate to ensure recipients can afford basic living expenses.
Members, share your thoughts and experiences with Centrelink and the job market (for those who’ve decided to return to work). Have you or someone you know faced these challenges? What changes would you like to see to make the system fairer for everyone?

Last edited:
Sponsored
How do. Us disa. Ability people live from week to week my monys gone in less than a week I desperately need a new mattress but can't afford to even layby one and as for the pay increase it's disgusting

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM and Littleboy8
We have worked all our lives and when my kids were young and having 13 kids I would have received more on centrelink than working. But I chose to work.

Unfortunately 3 years ago after negligent surgery I had to leave work.
I was the breadwinner due to hubby having health issues.

Now I am on jobseeker waiting to see if I'm approved for dsp , I had my centrelink doctors appointment last week. So hopefully will get an answer soon.

I'm in constant pain with nerve pain due to losing whole umbilicus and large ammount of abdominal wall with huge stitches pulling my stomach muscles together and now causing nerve pain.

I suffer severe depression and anxiety and sometimes don't leave my room for 3 days.

I hate the term dole bloggers and I truly believe most people won't stay on it for long as it's impossible to live on it.

I thank God that I had worked hard and paid off my house because there is no way I could pay a mortgage or rent on jobseeker.

Hubby was a hard worker then 18 years ago became unwell and was undiagnosed for 2 years. Turns out he had diverticulitis which because it wasn't diagnosed it grew into an abscess and grew that big it ate a hole in his bladder. He had surgery and had 1/3 of his bowel removed and has never been well since, hence why I was the breadwinner. He never once went on the dole or filed medical negligence.

Sadly now we depend on centrelink and he has become the one looking after me.

So to all you people who think that people on the dole are bludger than think again. These so called bludgers are a small minority
Never foget it was bob hawke who frst named people on unemployment benifits dole bludgers and every followng govt govts including labor have jumped on the term ever since

I try to navigate this every day.
After a major car accident, no fault of my own stationary at lights when a 5 tonne truck failed to stop and wiped me out I have attempted 3 times applying for DSP only to be rejected, my list of injuries and impairments, along with PTSD don't justify DSP claim so im kept on jobseeker, even though ive been assessed by them as only having 0-8 hrs capacity in a sedentary job (what a joke this sedentary is, it doesn't exist for my injuries) .
Whatever were the government thinking when they took away sickness benefit so you are NOT bullied and harassed by service providers. I do the right thing and have health check every 3 months, get my medical exemption and send it to centrelink immediately to now find they are not processing these form in an appropriate time so then service providers are making appointments for me, telling me I must attend for which I cant. The whole system is a lose lose situation and my mental health cant take much more
My payment i receive fortnightly including rent assistance is $963 , but $800 of that is rent, so the remaining $163 is for medicines, keeping my car on the road for my health appointments, bills and lastly food. Noone can exist on this money.
I do not leave the house unless for medical appointments . Something needs to be done and soon for all of us living like this.
And before anyone states find a cheaper rental, I was homeless for 18 months and got the property im in on rental affordability scheme at $208 a week but government stopped the property scheme so now im paying private, and tbh the owner has kept it down from market value to help me out
im frantically thinking about different ways to budget but its impossible, the government should be ashamed of themselves to think its ok to keep letting others into the country, helping them when us as Australians can't survive.

After a major car accident, no fault of my own stationary at lights when a 5 tonne truck failed to stop and wiped me out I have attempted 3 times applying for DSP only to be rejected, my list of injuries and impairments, along with PTSD don't justify DSP claim so im kept on jobseeker, even though ive been assessed by them as only having 0-8 hrs capacity in a sedentary job (what a joke this sedentary is, it doesn't exist for my injuries) .
Whatever were the government thinking when they took away sickness benefit so you are NOT bullied and harassed by service providers. I do the right thing and have health check every 3 months, get my medical exemption and send it to centrelink immediately to now find they are not processing these form in an appropriate time so then service providers are making appointments for me, telling me I must attend for which I cant. The whole system is a lose lose situation and my mental health cant take much more
My payment i receive fortnightly including rent assistance is $963 , but $800 of that is rent, so the remaining $163 is for medicines, keeping my car on the road for my health appointments, bills and lastly food. Noone can exist on this money.
I do not leave the house unless for medical appointments . Something needs to be done and soon for all of us living like this.
And before anyone states find a cheaper rental, I was homeless for 18 months and got the property im in on rental affordability scheme at $208 a week but government stopped the property scheme so now im paying private, and tbh the owner has kept it down from market value to help me out
im frantically thinking about different ways to budget but its impossible, the government should be ashamed of themselves to think its ok to keep letting others into the country, helping them when us as Australians can't survive.
I can totally sympathise with you I’m in the same situation. Can’t wait until I’m 67 I’m 65 now.but the govt will probably put it up again you watch.🙀

I wish members would stick to the subject at hand and not divert to criticising some people.

Can I ask in the 3 times you applied for dsp did you speak to one of centrelink doctors

Reactions: Littleboy8
Yeah that was a really rude thing to say. 👎
Afterwards I though two of my son inlaws are also heavily tattooed and both a really hard workers .

Ones a butcher and works from 4 am to 4pm and finishes 2 pm Saturday
The other one is a mechanic and works 10 hours a day sometimes more and every second Saturday

To be honest out of me and my 13 kids I'm the only one on centrelink

Reactions: DLHM and Littleboy8
Oh dear, my 38 year old son is full of tattoos, unfortunately he smokes but has never ever been on centrelink.
He is a builder and a dam hard worker , at times working 10 to 12 hour days and 6 days aweek,
Please don't stereotype tattooed smokers
Read the comment, it is about the people in the Centrelink Building NOT your son who works really hard and it is his hard earned money that he is spending NOT the TAXPAYERS

Read the comment, it is about the people in the Centrelink Building NOT your son who works really hard and it is his hard earned money that he is spending NOT the TAXPAYERS
It’s still a rude comment just because you see them in Centrelink with tattoos doesn’t mean they are dole bludgers.it could be their first meeting or something they could have just lost their job. Don’t be so judgemental buddy.😊

Oh dear, my 38 year old son is full of tattoos, unfortunately he smokes but has never ever been on centrelink.
He is a builder and a dam hard worker , at times working 10 to 12 hour days and 6 days aweek,
Please don't stereotype tattooed smokers
I agree wholeheartedly with you about stereotyping people, @Suzanne rose.
One of my daughters and her husband are covered in tattoos and are ex smokers(cigarettes too expensive). You couldn’t find anyone who works harder than they do. Daughter has two jobs, attending uni and doing volunteer work in addition to caring for a son who, because of mental disabilities, needs to live at home. Her hubby works long hours as a stone mason which has destroyed his back and knees, but perseveres and works through the pain because he needs to work. Also helping to look after their son and sharing the housework, cooking etc.
They don’t deserve to be stereotyped either. They don’t receive or want to receive Centrelink.
Some people are so up themselves that they base an opinion on ignorance.

You have no idea what you are talking about, why don't you talk about those, that they have disability or illness, talk about those that are long term recipients who have done their utmost not to obtain work. Never worked a day in their lives, and use every excuse under the sun not to work. Go on give them more money for being a burden on our society.
Typical of the generalisation of one who has NO idea what they are talking about. About time YOU threw away the tunnel vision glasses.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
That is why the Centrelink payment should never go up, Dole Bludgers they know who they are and they NEVER intend to work EVER. If you go to a Centrelink Office and just sit, you can definitely see the people who are only ever collecting money for NOTHING. They are the ones with TATTOO'S from 1 end of them to the other, same goes for piercings, then there is always the stench of cigarette smoke, and they are the loudest to tell you it is not enough to live on. I personally know a few kids who are exactly like that and smirk when asked how looking for a job is going.
I know many people covered in tattoos and smokers who work in highly paid jobs such as the medical and technical fields. What does that make them? Not to mention illicit drug users to boot.

Another unfounded generalisation.

And what is the reason you are hanging around the "dole office"?

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I know many people covered in tattoos and smokers who work in highly paid jobs such as the medical and technical fields. What does that make them? Not to mention illicit drug users to boot.

Another unfounded generalisation.

And what is the reason you are hanging around the "dole office"?
Yeah I wondered that also why is this person there.🤔