Police arrests gardener after suburb incident claims life of 74-year-old grandfather

Disclaimer: This article includes discussions and portrayals of violence against elderly individuals, which may be disturbing for some. Reader discretion is advised.

In a quiet community north of Brisbane, a family's sense of safety was shattered in an instant, turning what should have been an ordinary day into a scene of tragedy and disbelief.

The peaceful suburb of Burpengary East, typically known for its friendly atmosphere and close-knit community, is now grappling with the aftermath of an incident that has left residents reeling and searching for answers.

On a seemingly normal morning of April 25, police were summoned to perform a welfare check at a gated home where they stumbled upon a harrowing scene.

Nicholas Reeves, a 74-year-old grandfather, and his wife, Sue, aged 71, were discovered with critical head injuries.

The emergency unfolded rapidly, with Nicholas tragically declared dead at the scene, while Sue was rushed to the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital in a life-threatening condition.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 084324.jpg
A gardener was charged with murder and attempted murder after an elderly couple suffered critical head injuries at a home in Burpengary East. Credits: YouTube / 7NEWS Australia

The suspect, a 26-year-old Beachmere man, was reportedly hired by a neighbour to carry out ‘gardening work’.

In a twist that shocked the community, he was found uninjured at the property, where he awaited the arrival of the police.

Detective Inspector David Harbison stated that the young man was taken into custody without incident.

As the investigation unfolded, the gardener was charged with one count of murder and one count of attempted murder.

He was refused bail and scheduled to appear in Pine Rivers Magistrates Court the following day.

Deputy Inspector Harbison was quick to clarify that this was not a domestic violence-related incident and that the accused was not previously known to the victims.

‘A dispute of some type has broken out and an altercation, and unfortunately the 70-year-old victims have been severely injured, one fatally,’ he said.

‘We believe he just attended today to do some form of gardening duties.’

It's unclear what initiated the dispute, according to Deputy Inspector Harbison. Nevertheless, the police are not seeking any additional persons of interest.

‘Police were still investigating if implements or weapons were used in this incident...it’s very early days of this investigation, so we don’t have the full facts yet,’ he stated.

Neighbours who found the couple and provided first aid are understandably distressed, with one telling reporters, 'I just feel devastated...they’re beautiful people, owned their own business.'

The couple was well-regarded in the neighbourhood, having organised street parties to foster connections among residents.

Deputy Inspector Harbison described the event as both tragic and devastating.

‘It is so terribly traumatic for anyone to see this, including first responders,’ he said.

‘We hope to get to the bottom of it and learn more and try and understand how this incident occurred.’

Unfortunately, the couple’s ordeal was not an isolated incident, as similar cases of violence against seniors have been reported across different regions.

One of these was the shocking assault by a trusted family friend known since infancy on an elderly woman in Surry Hills.

Meanwhile, a man was also charged after allegedly attacking another elderly woman in the emergency department of Bankstown Hospital in Sydney.

In Adelaide, a granddad also sustained serious injuries after an alleged scooter attack at an intersection.
Key Takeaways
  • A gardener was charged with murder and attempted murder following a harrowing incident at a home in Burpengary East, where an elderly couple sustained critical head injuries.
  • The 74-year-old homeowner, Nicholas Reeves, was declared dead at the scene, while his 71-year-old wife, Sue, was critically injured and hospitalised.
  • The 26-year-old suspect was taken into custody at the property and appeared in Pine Rivers Magistrates Court following the incident.
  • The incident was not believed to be related to domestic violence; police are still investigating the cause of the dispute and whether any weapons were used.
If you or someone you know has experienced something similar or needs someone to talk to, please reach out to local support services or community groups.

Our prayers and thoughts go to Mr Reeves's family and friends, and we pray for Mrs Reeves’ quick recovery.

Sponsored
Check the rearrest percentage. The police have to rearrest the same people after the court allow them to go back on the street. We would have sufficient police if the courts did due diligence. Too many on bail recommit the same crimes if even worse and stop telling us that they have had a hard upbringing or have mental health problems.
Yes I do know this and it’s a huge problem- but this man was not known to police according to the article and others I’ve read about the same incident- I agree the judiciary let down the police and the public at every turn and something has to be gone about that.

Yes I do know this and it’s a huge problem- but this man was not known to police according to the article and others I’ve read about the same incident- I agree the judiciary let down the police and the public at every turn and something has to be done about that.

Check the rearrest percentage. The police have to rearrest the same people after the court allow them to go back on the street. We would have sufficient police if the courts did due diligence. Too many on bail recommit the same crimes if even worse and stop telling us that they have had a hard upbringing or have mental health problems.
This fellow has been arrested,not found guilty yet. He is getting trial by media at the moment.
If he is found guilty. Lock him up for good, I agree, but let him have a fair trial first. You would have to wonder why on earth he allegedly did something like this.

WTAF is wrong with people today, sometimes I want off this planet, beam me up Scotty or at least give me an island of my own to live on away from all this senseless violence and abuse.