You're not imagining it! Uncover the reason why Pringles have shrunk

Everyone loves a good snack every once in a while, and sometimes we tend to go for our favourite brands. One of the popular ones is Pringles.

However, there's something you should know about Pringles before you decide to make a purchase: they have now become smaller. If you have been one of the many frustrated shoppers raising 'shrinkflation' claims about the famous stacked chips, this article is for you.

Recently, there's been a commotion over how small the chips in a packet of Pringles have become. Someone shared photos of a 53g can of Sour Cream & Onion Pringles on social media and even held up a chip to illustrate the point.

'I didn't believe it till now, these Pringles are tiny,' they stated.

Photo_20230901_092714_0000.png
A disappointed consumer shared photos of ‘tiny’ Pringles on social media. Credit: Reddit

The post garnered unhappy comments from social media users, with one saying: ‘Thought they were above shrinkflation. My disappointment cannot be measured by the new size of these Pringles.’

Another commenter wrote: ‘I had the same problem. How can they get away with this?’

‘And they know you'll still buy,’ a third person expressed.

The snack comes in 134g containers, and the smaller 53g cans sold for about $5 and $2.50, respectively. Previously, a regular-sized tube of Pringles weighed 150g.

According to the manufacturer, the slight difference in size between the regular-sized tubes and the smaller cans is because the company has moved the Asia-Pacific Region's production to a new, state-of-the-art one in Malaysia. It is understood that the company did not change the price.

‘As our Malaysia plant was already servicing our Asian market, we decided we would standardise production and roll out the same Pringles recipe, chip size and packaging from this location for Australia and New Zealand,’ a spokesperson confirmed.

Pringles cited that the higher production costs of the new cans forced the price increase.

‘What's great about the new plant is that we'll have more flexibility with launching new products and flavours that are tailored to our tastes, which over the last five years has been loved by our consumers,’ the spokesperson added

The company spokesperson failed to mention whether the product has since become any smaller.

Shrinking sizes and rising costs have become an increasing concern for Aussies looking to stretch their budget.

Recently, we shared multiple reports of products hit by ‘shrinkflation’. A size change has affected some products, including Cottee’s Apricot Jam, Nescafe Coffee, and even Ritz Crackers have been affected by a size change. But the price on most of the products remains the same, making shoppers disappointed for not getting the same quantity as they did before.

Several manufacturers claimed higher production and ingredient costs and supply chain problems as causes for these changes.

Our members also noticed the change in their favourite products:

Member @Geoff8 wrote: ‘I have noticed the “shrinkflation” on Cadbury choc bars. A bar costs $3.75 for 165 grams and 180 grams, as some haven’t been changed yet. This week in Coles, they were 2 for $7.00, which equals 330 grams or 360 grams. However, if you look at the bigger bars of 360 grams, they are $6.00 and, to me, a far better price than getting 2.’

‘P.S. I love my chocolate but have stopped buying as much,’ he added.

Member @Apg shared: ‘I was really cranky when I noticed Roses jam went from 500 gms to 375 gms, but the cost remained the same. That’s a reduction of 25% in quantity, but the price doesn’t reflect this. Cottee’s Jam also shrunk the same but is cheaper than Roses. I agree, if the company had been upfront about it, I wouldn’t have felt so disrespected as a customer.’

Member @NANNA4B said: ‘Yes, I found this with a 4-pack of Turkish bread from Coles, they have shrunk quite a bit!’

Key Takeaways
  • A Pringles consumer has complained about the apparently decreasing size of the chips in the container, sparking controversy about the brand and claims of 'shrinkflation'.
  • Pringles confirmed that they did reduce the chips and cans size in 2016 due to a change in manufacturing location and equipment. However, the prices did not drop to reflect the smaller sizes.
  • Despite the changes, the company claimed higher production costs with the new cans had forced a price increase.
  • Consumers have been increasingly concerned about shrinking product sizes and rising costs, with many accusing different brands of giving a smaller quantity for the same price.

What do you think of this story, members? Can you share other products that have been affected by ‘shrinkflation’? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Wow! This is uncanny! I haven't bought Pringles for years but....

.....only last Thursday, a girl offered me some Pringles in our TAFE class. I commented that they looked so small. She said she didn't know that they used to be bigger.

Anyway, "shrinkflation" has been going on for years. The size of bottles of spirits decreased from 750 mL to 700 mL and none of us noticed. And the alcohol content of Jack Daniels subtly dropped from 42% to 40%. But the price NEVER goes down!

Everyone loves a good snack every once in a while, and sometimes we tend to go for our favourite brands. One of the popular ones is Pringles.

However, there's something you should know about Pringles before you decide to make a purchase: they have now become smaller. If you have been one of the many frustrated shoppers raising 'shrinkflation' claims about the famous stacked chips, this article is for you.

Recently, there's been a commotion over how small the chips in a packet of Pringles have become. Someone shared photos of a 53g can of Sour Cream & Onion Pringles on social media and even held up a chip to illustrate the point.

View attachment 28865
A disappointed consumer shared photos of ‘tiny’ Pringles on social media. Credit: Reddit

The post garnered unhappy comments from social media users, with one saying: ‘Thought they were above shrinkflation. My disappointment cannot be measured by the new size of these Pringles.’

Another commenter wrote: ‘I had the same problem. How can they get away with this?’

The snack comes in 134g containers, and the smaller 53g cans sold for about $5 and $2.50, respectively. Previously, a regular-sized tube of Pringles weighed 150g.

According to the manufacturer, the slight difference in size between the regular-sized tubes and the smaller cans is because the company has moved the Asia-Pacific Region's production to a new, state-of-the-art one in Malaysia. It is understood that the company did not change the price.

‘As our Malaysia plant was already servicing our Asian market, we decided we would standardise production and roll out the same Pringles recipe, chip size and packaging from this location for Australia and New Zealand,’ a spokesperson confirmed.

Pringles cited that the higher production costs of the new cans forced the price increase.

‘What's great about the new plant is that we'll have more flexibility with launching new products and flavours that are tailored to our tastes, which over the last five years has been loved by our consumers,’ the spokesperson added

The company spokesperson failed to mention whether the product has since become any smaller.

Shrinking sizes and rising costs have become an increasing concern for Aussies looking to stretch their budget.

Recently, we shared multiple reports of products hit by ‘shrinkflation’. A size change has affected some products, including Cottee’s Apricot Jam, Nescafe Coffee, and even Ritz Crackers have been affected by a size change. But the price on most of the products remains the same, making shoppers disappointed for not getting the same quantity as they did before.

Several manufacturers claimed higher production and ingredient costs and supply chain problems as causes for these changes.

Member @Geoff8 wrote: ‘I have noticed the “shrinkflation” on Cadbury choc bars. A bar costs $3.75 for 165 grams and 180 grams, as some haven’t been changed yet. This week in Coles, they were 2 for $7.00, which equals 330 grams or 360 grams. However, if you look at the bigger bars of 360 grams, they are $6.00 and, to me, a far better price than getting 2.’

Member @Apg shared: ‘I was really cranky when I noticed Roses jam went from 500 gms to 375 gms, but the cost remained the same. That’s a reduction of 25% in quantity, but the price doesn’t reflect this. Cottee’s Jam also shrunk the same but is cheaper than Roses. I agree, if the company had been upfront about it, I wouldn’t have felt so disrespected as a customer.’

Member @NANNA4B said: ‘Yes, I found this with a 4-pack of Turkish bread from Coles, they have shrunk quite a bit!’

Key Takeaways

• A Pringles consumer has complained about the apparently decreasing size of the chips in the container, sparking controversy about the brand and claims of 'shrinkflation'.
  • Pringles confirmed that they did reduce the chips and cans size in 2016 due to a change in manufacturing location and equipment. However, the prices did not drop to reflect the smaller sizes.
  • Despite the changes, the company claimed higher production costs with the new cans had forced a price increase.
  • Consumers have been increasingly concerned about shrinking product sizes and rising costs, with many accusing different brands of giving a smaller quantity for the same price.

What do you think of this story, members? Can you share other products that have been affected by ‘shrinkflation’? Let us know in the comments below!
Pringle's have always been a rip off for what you got for your money 💰 where a normal packet of chip's are cheaper 💯 %

I have also been wondering about Arnotts Shapes; it seems that the quantity of biscuits in each pack have been reduced AND the price has gone up. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes Dave I have noticed the bg difference in the Arnotts shapes biscuits. My husband was advised by his doctor to have the salted biscuits so we buy on a regular basis and it seems they are often on special but the price has gone up. We just accept this at the moment. Not sure why the doctor has advised but maybe he was not getting enough salt in his diet/

View attachment 28865

Key Takeaways

I honestly believed they were a waste of money from the get go.

View attachment 28865

Key Takeaways

There's only one answer. DON'T BUY! The manufacturers excuse is pathetic. The public didn't ask them to move to Malasian new plant. They chose to because they'll make more profit. Just vote with your feet.

I remember when I was at school in the UK and the snack shop sold Penguins and Wagon Wheels for 3d. The Wagon Wheels were almost the size of a small bread and butter plate and the Penguins were about twice the size as they are now. Was always a dilemma. Penguins were more delicicious but Wagon Wheels were twice the size🤣

D

View attachment 28865

Key Takeaways

Don't buy them anymore now they are made in Asia not USA

View attachment 28865

Key Takeaways

For a long time there has been more air in the package than product, it will never go back to the original weight. That's why everything is marked with " e " for Estimate

All the complaints about “shrinkflation” seems to have forgotten price rises v quantity.

Looks like so many on here have forgotten about size, price, quantity in the 60s against our wages then and now. Everything changes and it appears that CoVid has brought this whingeing to a head because when people lost their jobs or were forced to work shorter hours wages had to alter. If we were on the wages of the ‘60s we’d be whingeing about prices of things anyhow. It’s now more noticeable because we have access to computers and ‘out there & in your face’ media access where we can whinge about every little inconsequential thing.