Your treasures could be worth a fortune: eBay sees skyrocketing prices for modern collectibles!

They say one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. But in this day and age, that may actually be the case. Even better – your old hobbies could be worth a fortune if sold to the right audience.

Even though our spending habits may have changed in this current cost-of-living crisis, with many of us tightening our purse strings, shoppers around Australia are still prepared to splash out on certain items.

Although the current climate has made many of us stop and think twice before making large purchases, it seems that when it comes to buying collectibles, some people’s financial approach is far from calculated.

David Ramadge, eBay Australia’s Managing Director, revealed a survey that showed the nation’s collecting habits. In it, consumer confidence was reported to ‘soften’ over the next year, with younger shoppers, in particular, keen to spend on collecting a vast array of accessories and pop culture items.

collect1.jpg
According to a survey by eBay, younger shoppers are investing in collectibles. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

‘It is really not just your grandad collecting stamps any more, or art, or antiques. It’s modern pop culture. People are collecting sneakers, Lego, luxury handbags,’ Mr Ramadge said.

The research surveyed 3,690 consumers about their interests in collectible items. Together with its corporate consultant Deloitte, eBay revealed that 28 per cent of people see themselves as collectors. This number equates to as much as 5 million Australians if applied to the total population.

Millennials and Generation Z, in particular, are big fans of this trend, with half of the shoppers in these age groups confirming that they collect items on the side.

‘Forty per cent of these collectors are collecting with financial objectives in mind,’ Mr Ramadge said before adding that buyers are strategic, while they fork out money on expensive and limited items.

‘They’re doing it because they’re trying to make money,’ he claimed.

collect2.jpg
Many collectors think of their own profits as they continue to buy limited and exclusive items. Credit: Dan Cristian Pădureț/Pexels

While they aren’t making millions, a ‘decent chunk’ of collectors that answered the survey by eBay shared that they are doing pretty well on getting their return on investment. The median profit on selling collectibles over the past few years ranged between $5,000 and $10,000.

As one of the longest-running online marketplaces in the world, eBay has long been known as a place for shoppers to buy and sell all manner of goods for hobbies – this includes collecting.

However, as COVID-19 forced home-bound consumers towards collecting as a pastime and supply chains have been subject to limitations and other issues, the prices of some in-demand goods skyrocketed.

For instance, in 2019, the average price of a Lego King’s Castle set sold on eBay was $200. In 2022, that price jumped to $600 – a staggering 200 per cent increase.

In 1999, a Pokémon Base Set Charizard 4/102 unlimited holo-trading card usually sold for $300. In 2019, the price increased to $2,400, which is an incredible 790 per cent increase. Imagine how much this trading card is worth now!

Not only that, but designer bags also increased in price over the past three years. A Hermes Kelly 32-centimetre bag would be listed for $6,700 in 2019. But this time around, the product’s average on the retail platform jumped to a whopping $25,800.

In spite of the price increase, Mr Ramadge said that the demand for these goods is going strong, with true-blue collecting enthusiasts looking to build their collections for the long term.

These figures were compared to everyday purchases, such as gadgets and home technology, where consumers were acting more ‘tentatively’.

‘They are delaying an upgrade to the latest phone. They will use those noise-cancelling headphones for one more year. We expect that trend to increase,’ Mr Ramadge remarked.

He remained optimistic about shoppers’ appetite for more eclectic, collectible assets as well.

‘We are seeing this resilience in areas that we call people’s passion or enthusiast areas. These are hobbies and passions for people, and not just commoditised purchases,’ he told reporters.
Key Takeaways
  • Younger shoppers are keen to spend on a vast array of accessories and pop culture collectibles, such as Legos, sneakers, and luxury handbags.
  • EBay Australia's survey found that 28 per cent of people see themselves as collectors, with Gen Z and Millennial shoppers most likely to buy collectibles.
  • Popular categories for collectors include coins, Lego sets, and handbags, with 40 per cent of collectors collecting with financial objectives in mind.
  • Prices for in-demand collectibles have skyrocketed, with noteworthy increases observed in Lego sets, Pokémon trading cards, and designer bags.
With that in mind, why not take a look at some boxes you may have tucked away at the back of your closet or items you think may have some monetary value to them? You just never know – you could have a treasure sitting there waiting to be discovered!

For collectors out there – what’s your favourite collectible item? Have you ever made a profit from selling any of your collectibles? Tell us in the comments!

Sponsored
In the attic I have silver cutlery, silver servers, trays, jugs etc. I also have my grandmothers silver dance card and silver pencil in her silver chain decorated cloth bag. There are decorative oil lamps, my dad's stamp collection, his First Day Covers collection and his coins. I really don't know what to do with it all, last time I looked no-one was interested and I was told they had no value (although I suspect that person was being unscrupulous). i also don't know where to take them to get them honestly valued.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
In the attic I have silver cutlery, silver servers, trays, jugs etc. I also have my grandmothers silver dance card and silver pencil in her silver chain decorated cloth bag. There are decorative oil lamps, my dad's stamp collection, his First Day Covers collection and his coins. I really don't know what to do with it all, last time I looked no-one was interested and I was told they had no value (although I suspect that person was being unscrupulous). i also don't know where to take them to get them honestly valued.
Believe it or not best place to start looking is ebay

• Wow
They say one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. But in this day and age, that may actually be the case. Even better – your old hobbies could be worth a fortune if sold to the right audience.

Even though our spending habits may have changed in this current cost-of-living crisis, with many of us tightening our purse strings, shoppers around Australia are still prepared to splash out on certain items.

Although the current climate has made many of us stop and think twice before making large purchases, it seems that when it comes to buying collectibles, some people’s financial approach is far from calculated.

David Ramadge, eBay Australia’s Managing Director, revealed a survey that showed the nation’s collecting habits. In it, consumer confidence was reported to ‘soften’ over the next year, with younger shoppers, in particular, keen to spend on collecting a vast array of accessories and pop culture items.

View attachment 17705
According to a survey by eBay, younger shoppers are investing in collectibles. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

‘It is really not just your grandad collecting stamps any more, or art, or antiques. It’s modern pop culture. People are collecting sneakers, Lego, luxury handbags,’ Mr Ramadge said.

The research surveyed 3,690 consumers about their interests in collectible items. Together with its corporate consultant Deloitte, eBay revealed that 28 per cent of people see themselves as collectors. This number equates to as much as 5 million Australians if applied to the total population.

Millennials and Generation Z, in particular, are big fans of this trend, with half of the shoppers in these age groups confirming that they collect items on the side.

‘Forty per cent of these collectors are collecting with financial objectives in mind,’ Mr Ramadge said before adding that buyers are strategic, while they fork out money on expensive and limited items.

‘They’re doing it because they’re trying to make money,’ he claimed.

View attachment 17706
Many collectors think of their own profits as they continue to buy limited and exclusive items. Credit: Dan Cristian Pădureț/Pexels

While they aren’t making millions, a ‘decent chunk’ of collectors that answered the survey by eBay shared that they are doing pretty well on getting their return on investment. The median profit on selling collectibles over the past few years ranged between $5,000 and $10,000.

As one of the longest-running online marketplaces in the world, eBay has long been known as a place for shoppers to buy and sell all manner of goods for hobbies – this includes collecting.

However, as COVID-19 forced home-bound consumers towards collecting as a pastime and supply chains have been subject to limitations and other issues, the prices of some in-demand goods skyrocketed.

For instance, in 2019, the average price of a Lego King’s Castle set sold on eBay was $200. In 2022, that price jumped to $600 – a staggering 200 per cent increase.

In 1999, a Pokémon Base Set Charizard 4/102 unlimited holo-trading card usually sold for $300. In 2019, the price increased to $2,400, which is an incredible 790 per cent increase. Imagine how much this trading card is worth now!

Not only that, but designer bags also increased in price over the past three years. A Hermes Kelly 32-centimetre bag would be listed for $6,700 in 2019. But this time around, the product’s average on the retail platform jumped to a whopping $25,800.

In spite of the price increase, Mr Ramadge said that the demand for these goods is going strong, with true-blue collecting enthusiasts looking to build their collections for the long term.

These figures were compared to everyday purchases, such as gadgets and home technology, where consumers were acting more ‘tentatively’.

‘They are delaying an upgrade to the latest phone. They will use those noise-cancelling headphones for one more year. We expect that trend to increase,’ Mr Ramadge remarked.

He remained optimistic about shoppers’ appetite for more eclectic, collectible assets as well.

‘We are seeing this resilience in areas that we call people’s passion or enthusiast areas. These are hobbies and passions for people, and not just commoditised purchases,’ he told reporters.
Key Takeaways

• Younger shoppers are keen to spend on a vast array of accessories and pop culture collectibles, such as Legos, sneakers, and luxury handbags.
  • EBay Australia's survey found that 28 per cent of people see themselves as collectors, with Gen Z and Millennial shoppers most likely to buy collectibles.
  • Popular categories for collectors include coins, Lego sets, and handbags, with 40 per cent of collectors collecting with financial objectives in mind.
  • Prices for in-demand collectibles have skyrocketed, with noteworthy increases observed in Lego sets, Pokémon trading cards, and designer bags.
With that in mind, why not take a look at some boxes you may have tucked away at the back of your closet or items you think may have some monetary value to them? You just never know – you could have a treasure sitting there waiting to be discovered!

For collectors out there – what’s your favourite collectible item? Have you ever made a profit from selling any of your collectibles? Tell us in the comments!

Just 10 years ago I moved from my house to a retirement village unit. With limited space I was forced to sell my collection of LP's..... just over 500 sold via ebay for about $60.00! :cry::mad: Also several hundred cassette tapes almost given away and 180 78rpm records which brought just $30 something dollars... sigh

• Sad
I used to have the original Beatles' two volume White Album. In pristine condition. Apparently that is highly sought after these days. But I can't for the life of me remember where I put it.....
There is more than 1 beatles album worth good money.

I collect limited edition"furry" pencil toppers or as Ausies call them, ooshies and they've been around a lot longer than Woolies have been issuing them.