Votes: 36 43.4%

• Total voters
SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Your Say Sunday Poll: Who do you think should pay for the first date?

It's Sunday, members, so it's time to have your say!

Today we're looking at dating and love.

So: Who do YOU think should pay for the first date?

Cast your vote on the poll and leave a comment below.

We can't wait to hear from you all!

Reactions: Granny*Deb and Ian1

In days gone by, when chivalry was valued, the man would always foot the bill, and do so with a smile on his face! I’m in favour of that habit continuing. There seems to be some thought in relation to the new buzzword ‘equality’ that the bill should be shared between both diners. When I plan a date, I plan to cover whatever it costs, including flowers, and certainly the complete dinner date. Cheers!

Most of us on here come from a time when it was the boy asking the girl out. It was extremely rare for it to be the other way round, even if us girls might have wished it. You didn't want to get the reputation of being "fast". Instead you would put yourself in his path, frequent his hangouts, talk to his mates and generally make yourself front and centre such that he had to "see" you! :rolleyes:

I was all for the man paying , it just makes a woman made like she is worth it.

But when I look at people today and how many first dates they go on I think it's ok to share the bill.

My 23 year old son always pays and he goes on first dates nearly every week.

My 37 year old son always pays but has only gone on a fee dates since his divorce.

My 22 year old daughter has been with her boyfriend for 4 years and they split everything but one pays for one bill then next time the other pays .
If it's a very large bill then they split it.
I think that is my daughters idea as she is a very independent woman.
He does however always showers her with flowers and gifts.

I'm dying of laughter at the moment as there are NO VOTES for the woman to pay.
Where are all the EQUAL RIGHTS women.
And let's be honest 'Chivalry' is not dead, it's simply hard to find it in either male & females these day.

Even back in the day (70's & 80's) when I first started to date, I always paid for my own stuff as I made sure that the male always knew that there was a 99% chance there would be NO SEX after. Even now in my 60's I always pay for myself unless the person insists beforehand, and we both fully understand what will happen after the outing finishes. But, in saying that, there are 2 males in my life that I will let them pay for any kind of outing without discussion and they are my younger brother and my son.

Way back when, the male usually had more money, so it was appropriate for males to pay. Nowadays, the $$$s earned are much closer together than they were (still not equal tho', and that's still wrong). However, I always pay for the first coffee, and then the first date. After that, it depends on who has the most $$$s or split the bill. By now, you're both moving along and DISCUSSING such things to come to equitable decisions. I'm male.

If it's a "meet you" coffee, then I'm happy to pay, as a man. On a date I would presume to pay.. .old school. If I'm asked out, then she should want to pay and perhaps I might pay in any case, depending on the date. If I ask her out, my shout. No issue.

Many, many years ago, on one of my "meet you for the first time" coffees, she was delayed, so SHE suggested that we meet later and have something to eat, instead of coffee.

When the bill came, she didn't move or make any attempt to chip in or pay.

Remember, this was the first time (and last time) we had ever met and off a dating site.

I thought this was quite rude and a presumption on her part. No intention to pay for anything.

In any other circumstance, a second date or if it was only coffee, I would pay automatically.

If I can't pay for it I wouldn't ask a Lady for a date .However there are ladies who will want to pay for themselves and if they really insist on it so be it .

I am Male.... Here is the drill... If she insists on paying for a cup of coffee ...Well ! what the heck. it is a simple social pastime.
Now time comes and I ask her out for a dinner date. This changes things. I asked I pay. I think it is courtesy for the lady to accept this as a gift. IF SHE PUTS THE MACHO FOOT DOWN ..Go ahead here is the bill- AND THERE WILL BE NO MORE DATING of any kind because I have just been rejected. A-MEN. Should she have accepted and later asked me to her place or friends place for a home cooked meal then this has a good chance of evolving into a great relationship.

If I ask someone out, I expect to be the person paying. It's just how I have been brought up. However, what this means, is due to the fact that a date can VERY EASILY cost $100.00 not counting petrol and cost from that point on.

It is the reason I believe in our current financial climate why so many men do not ask.

And in my 69 years "as incredible as this may sound" no woman has ever asked me out.
Back in the day you would go into a shop or a business and casually say to someone that liked you, "would you like to go to the drive-in with me?' It was all said.

Due to a relationship breakup and a time of injury I needed to recover. I hope before years end to be in a relationship. The last time I went out to a restaurant was 23 years ago. Women are unfathomable (the word OMEN with a W in front, is a term of endearing mystery) Women are also expensive. Not many loves to do simple things like going fishing or creative arts anymore.

Just like the post asking who pays for what on a date. It's how people these days relate and unfortunately true for so many, it's all about a person's bank balance these days.

And so as delightful-adorable and muti-talented a person, as I am, if this is what life with a likewise planet earth loving woman requires these days,

Johnny Pink may yet pass.