• Yes

Votes: 79 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Increase GST, a consumption tax, to discourage spending of stuff we don’t need. Stuff that is no longer manufactured in this country. Then reduce income tax. So folks are encouraged to earn more and spend less.

introduce measures to avoid loopholes. De- register accountants who use dodgy dealings to avoid tax. chase individuals with unexplained wealth.
I love your ideas 💡 😍 and keep essential items gst free

All economies bubble up from the bottom. The poor spend at local stores, who spend at warehouses, who spend at manufacturers and so on. When the poor have nothing to spend the system ultimately collapses. The rich don’t get rich on their own, and NOBODY needs billions! So yes, the rich need to pay more taxes to redistribute the wealth and keep the system working. 60% of wealth is inherited. Mentioning degrees etc is disingenuous because a degree will not make anybody rich.

Reactions: Daboss
If the government wants more money, they should put a stop to foreign aid, and cut by 3/4 the $30 billion spent annually on Aboriginals (said money not going where it is needed, only going to urban Aboriginals. Foreign aid is equivalent to welfare money; it goes to the countries' governments, not the people, it stops incentives to improve living conditions for that country's poor, and an attitude developes of "You owe us millions because you are a wealthy country", and finally, it makes the countries dependent. There are billions of dollars available if foreign aid and the wasted money given to Aboriginals was put to better use.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
All residents and companies should be stopped from using overseas Tax Havens. This would make taxation fairer for all and also build government funds.

Reactions: Daboss
Most federal politicians earn over 200,000.00 a year. If you are on a committee you get paid more. They get about 32,000 in electoral funds. Many have no idea what the costs of rent food etc are.
Many of these politicians are landlords as they buy and negatively gear their properties.
We have had politicians who had a house in Canberra rented out and we the taxpayer were paying the accommodation costs for them.
Why are we still allowing properties to be negatively geared? How many should we allow a family to own.
Sorry for the rant but both sides of politics are to blame for this problem.

If the government wants more money, they should put a stop to foreign aid, and cut by 3/4 the $30 billion spent annually on Aboriginals (said money not going where it is needed, only going to urban Aboriginals. Foreign aid is equivalent to welfare money; it goes to the countries' governments, not the people, it stops incentives to improve living conditions for that country's poor, and an attitude developes of "You owe us millions because you are a wealthy country", and finally, it makes the countries dependent. There are billions of dollars available if foreign aid and the wasted money given to Aboriginals was put to better use.
Totally agree I could never comprehend giving so much money to other countries when we have so many of our own in need.

I think it's time that we Australians are treated as equals.
I've never understood why the aboriginal people are given so much even if you have a drop of aboriginal in you.

We need to look at how we can do more for all our poor, homeless and elderly people

Reactions: LadyMoonlight
YES When they have the money to pay more tax, they can afford to do so n take up the slack that the ’poor n struggling people’ cannot afford to.
it is like robbing the poor to give to the rich.
YES YES YES
Everyone pays tax at the rate appropriate to their earnings. These so called “wealthy” people have already paid more tax. There will always be a difference between low middle and high income earners but they pay their taxes accordingly. Perhaps the stores could be offering discounts based on income.
There will never be a way to police this though

One flat tax for all no deductions at all, say 10% of Gross income, couldn't be fairer, even for business,s no matter what they do.
Incentive to work harder and enjoy benefit

All economies bubble up from the bottom. The poor spend at local stores, who spend at warehouses, who spend at manufacturers and so on. When the poor have nothing to spend the system ultimately collapses. The rich don’t get rich on their own, and NOBODY needs billions! So yes, the rich need to pay more taxes to redistribute the wealth and keep the system working. 60% of wealth is inherited. Mentioning degrees etc is disingenuous because a degree will not make anybody rich.
Persistence, determination and inventiveness will help make you richer than an academic education. Folks should make sure any degree leads to earnings.
But what is being rich? It isn’t just money! It isn’t material possessions. It isn’t eating out, fashion, driving cars….

Giving a thoughtful gift from an Op shop means more than a gift card that is lazy and thoughtless.

Its easier to get $1 from a million peasants than a $1million from a rich man or woman.. Governments are thus lazy. but governments can’t take your generous souls.

Taxing the rich, who are the rich are we talking about the millionairs and billionares to be taxed, those like the Packers and the Rineharts etc, the ones who don't pay any tax see the list of 50 in Australia.

They may give to charities and claim back but they certainly aren't paying their taxes.

Your Say Sunday Poll: Taxing the Rich

Happy Sunday, members!

Welcome to another Your Say Sunday poll where we pass the microphone over to you, our lovely members, to vote on this week's topic!

So what is today's question? I'm glad you asked. Given the news of the RBA rate hike and the pension indexation, we want to know...

Should Australia increase taxes on the wealthy to address income inequality?

We can't wait to hear your thoughts! Vote and comment below to have your say.
at the very least they should pay the same percentage as everyone else

Of course they should pay more, as should hugely profitable businesses. Tax loopholes need to be closed. When speaking of increasing the tax on Super deposits over $3m, did you notice that somebody has $100m in super? When so many people are homeless and so many are desperately seeking help from charities, then it is obscene for somebody to be able to stash that amount of money away and pay lower tax on it. For any sort of equitable society, everybody should contribute according to their ability.

Reactions: Vio Kot
Definitely not increase taxes to the wealthy! Why on earth would we even consider it? On reading the comments of the "yes" people here, I have come to the conclusion that they are all tax evadance experts. They make comments regarding the wealthy avoiding tax by illegal methods. Sure, there may be one or two that do but a majority would be paying their tax without much issue. Yes, they get tax breaks when they support charities and welfare institutions. Do we want to reduce their support in these areas? Of course not. It is mainly the lower-paid who try to evade taxes by making false claims in their returns. They are trying to improve their lot in any way they can, especially if they smoke or consume drugs. We should actually be reducing taxes for the wealthy. When I say wealthy I mean the young entrepreneurs who are challenging themselves to be successful. Not the "old money" families who are kind and generous anyhow. We need them. We are a country that relies on the entrepreneurial activities of individuals to guide our economy. I don't support some of the things that our Government does with the money but they would not be able to consider these things without our entrepreneurial individuals. Why would young people want to strive for excellenc if we punished them before they even start. Those of you who are dog owners know that you get much better results by a small treat or reward. Don't treat our up and coming business owners like dogs, give them the absolute maximum benefits available and just watch the country succeed like never before.

I momentarily met a very young executive about 6 years ago, after he parked sideways in his bright and shiny soft top current model Mercedes outside the Commonweath bank in Byron Bay. And climb out. He vehicle effectively occupied three car spaces.

I said as I walked past. "Mate, you're going to get very heavily fined parking like that."

He reached in for his briefcase and with a big cheesy grin he said. "You don't seem to get it hey guy. Times ticking, he said, looking at his watch, you need to wake up and understand, that it's all about the money and this; he said pointing at the personal power statement he was making for all to see, means nothing to me. I just give them money, or I give someone else money and all of your little rules and regulations, the just miraculously go away." he then crossed the street.

I could tell straight away that this was a demonstration of parental upbring, multiplied by a very lavish holier than thou, lifestyle over time. And logically he was in deep need of physiological assistance as most of THE SUPER RICH are, so I just nodded. After all, it is quite obviously true.

There truly are a great many high privileged wealthy social-light moths fluttering around the glimmer of money worldwide. For the mega wealthy that are starving society of the wealth, that every country including our own needs, theirs is a life with a very different soul-purpose.

Taxation isn't seen as a payback to society for the TRULY MASSIVE VWEALTH GENERATED.

It's all about the money honey. Their game is to do whatever one can to make and keep making more and more money and laugh about the last time that money or power from removed from someone, or who amongst them has the power to pay even less money back to the government.
Surely this is known by us all by now. HERE IS THE ONLY PROBLEM! But Governments don't know how to communicate other than by office speak that directs through rules and guidelines.

There really are many MEGA RICH people that could save our world, if they ever felt the value in changing what they know. However why would they? As after all they live a BRILLIANT and a highly privileged life. And all the prophets of Doom are saying daily we are done as a planet and could go anytime, so the thinking maybe who cares. Have another bottle of champagne darling!

It is my opinion that all EXTREMELY WEALTHY PEOPLE interact and relate in the same likeminded shrugged at awareness all the time.

And just like the guy parking sideways in Byron Bay, he was being highly obnoxious for sure, however he wasn't being ridiculous at all. It's true they can, and they are paying to live an extremely privileged life and every taxpayer is or has or will be paying for it.

There's our problem and there's not that many MEGA RICH PEOPLE AT ALL. It is highly unwise to threaten a predator. We need to make friends, feed them deserved compliments. Talk to them rationally and if it makes dollars for them or FAME, they could see sense and equally contribute.

Ok it's a societal sickness to us, that they don't CARE to pay taxes to help. However, I could tell he spoke in all innocence that this is just how it is (FOR THEM) and there was no point debating social implications of anything at all, as he was of a VERY different lifestyle understanding.

Only real money can converse (its different that negotiating) to money about money. It needs people with a great amount of money showing how much fame and good fortune comes when you do the right thing, like simply paying your taxes so society can function. for them to get it.

There is our answer.

DON"T take even more from the public who really are not wealthy at all. Just collectively vote WE ARE A DEMOCRACY and close the legal loopholes that let corporations and individuals get away without paying "AN EQUAL SHARE" not more nor less just the same as everyone else.

And raise the pension because nobody pretends to be older in age. and Australia would be a GREAT NATION. it really would.

Proceeds from the mineral sales. Oil rich countries like Bahrian dont tax the people. Not so stupid after all
We don't have oil like Bahrain or a King or have sultans ect

And its correct they dont pay personal taxes but individuals employed by a person or a legal entity or an enterprise in Bahrain are subject to contributions to the Social Insurance Organisation which acts the same as taxes just a different name and these can be higher than what we pay in tax.

I had a friend living in Bahrain for a few years

So does seem like a stupid question after all !

One way to ensure people pay tax is to be like the UK and make the Banks liable for collecting tax on bank accounts. Every year the Govt sets the level of tax due on bank account interest and the banks stop it at source and send it into the tax office. That means that you don't have to worry about it and what interest you get into your a/c is yours. It also ensures that no bank a/c's are missed, no forgetting, no hiding money, no escape. It always seemed to work well there, I don't understand why we don't do it too. :(

If you make everyone poor, the country suffers. It’s people with money that create jobs.
That may be so, but they wouldn't make their money without the poorly paid employees who do all of the work required to make that money, and who deserve proper remuneration for doing so. I mean, really, $100 million in a super fund? Just how long is this person planning to live, or have they discovered the 'Fountain of Youth'?

Tax all the politicians, they get a lot of perks so don't need the zillions they are paid.
Look at what they get and then what they get free, like free phone(s) and internet, free car and fuel, at the upper ministerial level, free accom, free food and free travel . So what do they spend their money on? no need to spend anything, its all provided.

I'd be surprised if cabinet members have mortgages most are business leaders and millionaires or their spouses are well off.

Make them take 50k per year no perks and none of the ridiculous super that only pollies can access? then put the savings back into the community