SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Your Say Sunday Poll: Taxing the Rich

Happy Sunday, members!

Welcome to another Your Say Sunday poll where we pass the microphone over to you, our lovely members, to vote on this week's topic!

So what is today's question? I'm glad you asked. Given the news of the RBA rate hike and the pension indexation, we want to know...

Should Australia increase taxes on the wealthy to address income inequality?

We can't wait to hear your thoughts! Vote and comment below to have your say.

Reactions: MarieL

Happy Sunday, members!

Welcome to another Your Say Sunday poll where we pass the microphone over to you, our lovely members, to vote on this week's topic!

So what is today's question? I'm glad you asked. Given the news of the RBA rate hike and the pension indexation, we want to know...

The problem is a lot of rich people don’t pay tax they are able to avoid it by sending money to tax havens or family trusts this needs to be investigated and they make their money off the general population so yes they should be taxed at a higher rate

This is a tricky one.
My thoughts are why should a person on high income have to pay more tax than someone on low income.

Most who are on a high income are in a job because on a uni degree which they studied hard for or a high pressure job.

Two of my son inlaws are engineers one an electrical engineer the other a mechanical engineer. The degrees had cost them $80,000 up. Both are in high demand and stressful jobs .

Both pay so much more tax than their wives my daughters which one is a nurse the other a teacher .

I think they should be on the same level tax as my daughters.

What I feel needs to be done and implemented is the rich people need to pay tax . The government needs to look at how they are getting out of paying tax and fix any loopholes that allow this

Before you tax people, Businesses should be taxed on their annual turnover instead of what they currently claim on after tax income. They get too many opportunities to shuffle money elsewhere but with what I see to be corrupt Governments, this will never happen.
Kerry Packer is a prime example of how big business pays absolutely minimal tax on huge turnovers and has publicly stated that anyone who doesn't avoid paying tax is a mug.

Happy Sunday, members!

I am by no means rich but I do not believe for one millisecond that those that who are rich should pay extra tax. Sure there are CEOs such as the Qantas boss who are paid many orders of magnitude more than they are worth but there are also a great many more who worked very hard to build a very healthy self funded retirement nest egg who should not be punished for their efforts. They have already paid extra tax on their Superannuation and now there is an expectation that they will pay tax again. Is this not double dipping? I am not at all surprised that there are so many yes votes in this poll. There seems to be an innate jealousy and even hatred toward the wealthy in Australia. The rich are not the enemy and being rich is not some kind of evil. Far too many people are so green with envy of the rich and constantly appear to want to drag them down. For those who treat rich people with contempt, why do you feel the need to do that? Are you just jealous that you are not rich? This attitude of "you are rich so you can afford to pay more tax" is nothing more than self entitlement. Unless wealth is accumulated by crime or ill gotten gain, it is not some kind of sin that must be atoned for by being taxed yet again.

I believe the majority of working folk work hard, regardless of their type of job and education. All those who are successful and make a lot of money haven't done it entirely on their own as there are people who work for them, around them, beside them. "The little people" who are doing their jobs, whatever those jobs may be. And then there's also being there at the right time. It's only fair they are taxed more and any loopholes should be closed.

Before you tax people, Businesses should be taxed on their annual turnover instead of what they currently claim on after tax income. They get too many opportunities to shuffle money elsewhere but with what I see to be corrupt Governments, this will never happen.
Kerry Packer is a prime example of how big business pays absolutely minimal tax on huge turnovers and has publicly stated that anyone who doesn't avoid paying tax is a mug.
Do you actually know about Kerry Packer's finances or are you just peddling hearsay? What is your source of information to back up your claim? Funny how people condemn the rich with out knowing any of the facts.

The problem is a lot of rich people don’t pay tax they are able to avoid it by sending money to tax havens or family trusts this needs to be investigated and they make their money off the general population so yes they should be taxed at a higher rate
Then why should the honest hard working people be penalised. The government needs to go after the ones who don't pay tax

Do you actually know about Kerry Packer's finances or are you just peddling hearsay? What is your source of information to back up your claim? Funny how people condemn the rich with out knowing any of the facts.
My comments are based upon what Kerry Packer has said publicy on television and I am quoting his own words.

AAs

Happy Sunday, members!

As a Resources rich country, why are we paying tax at all ??

Reactions: Ricci
Why do people assume all people who are in high paying jobs that they have people doing all their work , are dishonest and didn't get to where they are by themselves .

My son In law who is an electrical engineer is in a 6 figure job and a very stressful job at that. He is still paying for his uni degree. Has a wife and 3 young kids. He gives to charities and also his time as a pastor which he doesn't accept payment.

We talk about the rich needing to pay more tax but how many people on lower incomes also rip of the government by claiming tax rebates for things they shouldn't be claiming.

What's the saying ' let He who is sin free cast the first stone '

The fair solution is one tax threshold and close loop holes allowing the rich to not pay tax.

The more money you make then the more tax you will pay anyway .

Make the tax 20 % off your income across the board.

Why should someone who chooses to work more. Go up to the higher tier of tax.

My son who finished year 12 and walked straight into a job , commercial property realestate and he comes home at 7pm and is still working dealing with demanding clients on the phone.
His job is very stressful even receiving threats from tenants who are 3 months behind in rent ( commercial property)

Last year he had to pay the tax office as he had earned $300 over bringing him into the next tax tier .

I am by no means rich but I do not believe for one millisecond that those that who are rich should pay extra tax. Sure there are CEOs such as the Qantas boss who are paid many orders of magnitude more than they are worth but there are also a great many more who worked very hard to build a very healthy self funded retirement nest egg who should not be punished for their efforts. They have already paid extra tax on their Superannuation and now there is an expectation that they will pay tax again. Is this not double dipping? I am not at all surprised that there are so many yes votes in this poll. There seems to be an innate jealousy and even hatred toward the wealthy in Australia. The rich are not the enemy and being rich is not some kind of evil. Far too many people are so green with envy of the rich and constantly appear to want to drag them down. For those who treat rich people with contempt, why do you feel the need to do that? Are you just jealous that you are not rich? This attitude of "you are rich so you can afford to pay more tax" is nothing more than self entitlement. Unless wealth is accumulated by crime or ill gotten gain, it is not some kind of sin that must be atoned for by being taxed yet again.
Omg so very well said. You said exactly how it is. The more you earn the more tax you pay anyway but why have higher tiers for the more someone earns .

I agree to much green envy in Australia

The people on higher wages recieved a higher pay rise because payr rises were based on a percentage. This has been going on for years and it suited Politicians in power. So the rich got richers and the poor got poorer. There needs to be a different formula for pay rises until the lower paid peoplke catch up. The politicians can always reject their pay rises if they want to be fair, like Jacinds did in NZ.

The people on higher wages recieved a higher pay rise because payr rises were based on a percentage. This has been going on for years and it suited Politicians in power. So the rich got richers and the poor got poorer. There needs to be a different formula for pay rises until the lower paid peoplke catch up. The politicians can always reject their pay rises if they want to be fair, like Jacinds did in NZ.
Should a cleaner be paid the same as a doctor.🤔 NO . Should a garbage truck driver be paid the same as a solicitor.

Is a supermarket worker under the same pressure as a nurse or teacher

Should a flight attendant receive the same money as a pilot.

Most people on higher incomes worked for it by either a degree or working hard to get where they are.

I'm not saying people who work in lower paying jobs don't work hard but we all have choices.

I worked in bridal and was a supervisor and that was stressful dealing with brides as well as other staff members . Yes my pay was more than other consultants but I did much more with higher responsibilities but my general manager had much more pressure and responsibility that I would never want and in saying that she deserved to get paid much more than me

Happy Sunday, members!

Increase GST, a consumption tax, to discourage spending of stuff we don’t need. Stuff that is no longer manufactured in this country. Then reduce income tax. So folks are encouraged to earn more and spend less.

introduce measures to avoid loopholes. De- register accountants who use dodgy dealings to avoid tax. chase individuals with unexplained wealth.