Do you believe ‘you get what you pay for’?

• Yes

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • It depends (comment below to explain)

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters
Over the years i have stood by what an old cabinetmaker told me
Quality remains long after price forgotten;)
I agree with you. Good quality is a good investment.
My parents knew our next door neighbour used to thoroughly research products before making a purchase, so we just bought what he bought. We had a Frigidaire fridge, a Thorn colour TV and a Simpson washing machine.
I drive a 2007 Ford Falcon wagon, the last model. My father had the 1967 Falcon wagon. He was a painter, and taught me the value of good preparation and quality products.

Reactions: Ricci
I bought a $9.00 toaster from Big W for work which worked well. However a week later the electrician who did a small appliance audit threw it in the bin. It didn’t meet the safety requirements. I think many of us have bought items that fail a week after the 12 month warranty expires.

Reactions: Ricci and Chicky
I Can’t say I buy the expensive brands all the time, but the old items still last the longest . I had a refrigerator that lasted 30 years than it needed replacing, I bought a top of the range one it lasted 6 years.
I must say though I have a Sanyo fan I got as a wedding present and it is still working after 42 years. Now I must say that is value for money and I did not even buy it.

I agree with Macarj there is no or yes answer to this question, many of us buy what we can afford and sometimes we get a dud, sometimes we get a good one that last. I find alot of the time the really good quality items my budget just doesn't reach their price. But on another not you can pay a lot for a really good quality item and it can be a dud too.

Last edited:
I believe that using CHOICE magazine assists when you wish to purchase a new household item. This offers an assessment on the usefulness of the product and brand, and provides at least a guide to the longevity. You can then select an item with your preferred quality and price level.

you can get a lemon in any brand
I believe we can't expect goods of any description lasting longer than they did years back. We have had, for many years now, a system called Planned Obsoletion. Which means products have a short life span, so no longer than 5 years?? My partner and I bought a bed in 1972. A Sleepmaker which had a guarantee of 25 years. My daughter has this in her spare room and all her visitors just love it. I bought a bed, online, and though I'm still using it it hasn't lasted more than 12 months. Quality, it seems, has gone out the window.

• Sad
Reactions: Chicky and Ricci
you can get a lemon in any brand

Your Say Sunday Poll: Do you believe ‘you get what you pay for’?

A bit of a different question today!

This is inspired by a member who mentioned they love Breville and their products have lasted 30+ years.

It had us thinking, are you better off paying for the expensive product offering and hoping it lasts or for the inexpensive option with the hope it’ll last but the knowledge that you can simply replace it?

Eg. Would a Kmart food processor last as long as one from Breville, or does it not matter because you ‘get what you pay for’?

We’d also love to hear if you have any purchases (expensive or inexpensive) that you’ve been pleasantly surprised by.
My previous comment should have read 1982, not 1972. The little adds keep getting in the way of what I'm typing.

Over the years i have stood by what an old cabinetmaker told me
Quality remains long after price forgotten;)
Quality is what counts. Not everything that is expensive has the quality you desire so each item you buy needs to be inspected carefully before the final decision is made.

Quality is what counts. Not everything that is expensive has the quality you desire, so each item you buy needs to be inspected carefully before the final decision is made.

Interesting comments. Yes I have bought cheaper brands that have been good Trial and error I believe with them
As already stated, there are lemons in everything. How many times have we seen on t.v. where someone bought an expensive car only to see it off the road more often than it is on?

I usually pay a bit more for my electrical tools in the garage. For something like kettles, toasters & irons, a cheaper product, a good warranty applies with the option for a replacement if this breaks down in say 3 years. This can be the case & the item is replaced free of charge.

Not always unfortunately it's the luck of the draw...appliances I go for medium of the range and good warranties...extended warranties I won't do again as I was recently very disappointed with Good Guys ...I go by good reviews . Again with cars this is my second Kia ase model but very happy with warranties offered service etc. Food look for bargains compare prices...you try no good well I won't buy again ... like some meat at certain supermarkets may be cheap ..but I'd rather go without taste AWFUL ...give things a try I say...

I try to buy middle of the range things but the top of the middle range. I find with electrical items quite often the very expensive items have features which I will never use but you are still paying for them. I also try and avoid buying made in China items, besides the quality but also for philosophical reasons. I bought a dishwasher about 2-years ago and the first thing I told the salesman, I will buy one but it cannot be made in China. So I managed to buy one made elsewhere.

Your Say Sunday Poll: Do you believe ‘you get what you pay for’?

A bit of a different question today!

This is inspired by a member who mentioned they love Breville and their products have lasted 30+ years.

It had us thinking, are you better off paying for the expensive product offering and hoping it lasts or for the inexpensive option with the hope it’ll last but the knowledge that you can simply replace it?

Eg. Would a Kmart food processor last as long as one from Breville, or does it not matter because you ‘get what you pay for’?

We’d also love to hear if you have any purchases (expensive or inexpensive) that you’ve been pleasantly surprised by.
I bought an inexpensive "throw-away" battery powered ozito drill approximately 9 yrs ago from a toss out table in Bunnings. This drill has done an enormous amount of work, sometimes doing heavier tasks than it was designed for, and is STILL GOING TODAY and running on the same battery after countless re-charges. I recently tried to buy a back-up battery for this drill but they are no longer available.
BEST buy ever!!!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I am 85 - my Hoover washer is 22, my Fisher & Pykel fridge is 22, my small hatchback car is also 22 - and I have everything crossed that they will keep going. Everything now has built-in obsolescence and I dread having to make brand decisions now....so my lovely faithful appliances, just keep going a little while longer.
Mind you - they have all been looked after - cleaned and serviced as required, but they don't owe me a thing.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I am 85 - my Hoover washer is 22, my Fisher & Pykel fridge is 22, my small hatchback car is also 22 - and I have everything crossed that they will keep going. Everything now has built-in obsolescence and I dread having to make brand decisions now....so my lovely faithful appliances, just keep going a little while longer.
Mind you - they have all been looked after - cleaned and ser