Do you believe ‘you get what you pay for’?

• Yes

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • It depends (comment below to explain)

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters
SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Your Say Sunday Poll: Do you believe ‘you get what you pay for’?

A bit of a different question today!

This is inspired by a member who mentioned they love Breville and their products have lasted 30+ years.

It had us thinking, are you better off paying for the expensive product offering and hoping it lasts or for the inexpensive option with the hope it’ll last but the knowledge that you can simply replace it?

Eg. Would a Kmart food processor last as long as one from Breville, or does it not matter because you ‘get what you pay for’?

We’d also love to hear if you have any purchases (expensive or inexpensive) that you’ve been pleasantly surprised by.

Reactions: Ezzy and RTS
Until quite recently I always bought the best I could afford of everything thinking I would get extra years from them. I don't need things to last 20 or 30 years now as they would outlive me so cheap and cheerful, so long as it does the job I want, is the way to go. I know the majority of what I leave behind will end up at the charity shop and as they don't take electrical items it seems a waste to spend mega bucks on things now. :)

I've always loved my breville kitchen whizz I had one for maybe 30 years then the bowl broke and I couldn't get a replacement bowl. Machine part still worked.

I purchased a cheap one but just didn't do the sane job.

My kids all put in and got me a new kitchen whizz and I love it more than my first one but cost was close to $1,000

Kettles and toasters I now buy homebrands.

Electric frypans I buy sunbeam

I stay away from kambrook I received an electric shock and needed to go to hospital .

I then read the reviews for kambrook electric frypan and read this had happened to others . It was to do with the thermostat control

Last edited:
I've always loved my breville kitchen whizz I had one for maybe 30 years then the bowl broke and I couldn't get a replacement bowl. Machine part still worked.

I purchased a cheap one but just didn't do the sane job.

My kids all put in and got me a new kitchen whizz and I love it more than my first one but cost was close to $1,000

Kettles and toasters I now buy homebrands.

Electric frypans I buy sunbeam

I stay away from kambrook I received an electric shock and needed to go to hospital after I read the reviews for electric frypan I saw this had happened to others . It was to do with the thermostat control
I bought a beautiful red kettle to go with my new kitchen it was expensive lasted roughly two years, im on my own so it only got used a few times a day so now I pay $14 from woolies I won’t pay big anymore

If you buy from the likes of Aldi who seem to have a lower profit margin, the cheaper item is just as good.
I bought a bullet mixer from them considerably cheaper and its been dropped a couple of time, grinded things it really shouldn't be, and its still perfect. Just because its cheap doesn't make it bad.

Now, I used to own a shop - I had a "markup" that I tried to apply to my items. I would buy wholesale and do the maths and so many times the item would cost out at like a third of what the other shops were selling them for. Experience told me that my item would be considered inferior because it was "cheap and nasty" so I made my prices just a little under theirs. I KNEW what they bought these things for! I imagine the likes of K-Mart etc when they sell things for a ridiculously cheap price are still making money as one thing I remember (if I bought 4000 of them) I could buy for 40c and sell for $4.00.

This is inspired by a member who mentioned they love Breville and their products have lasted 30+ years.

It had us thinking, are you better off paying for the expensive product offering and hoping it lasts or for the inexpensive option with the hope it’ll last but the knowledge that you can simply replace it?

Eg. Would a Kmart food processor last as long as one from Breville, or does it not matter because you ‘get what you pay for’?

We’d also love to hear if you have any purchases (expensive or inexpensive) that you’ve been pleasantly surprised by.

I usually go for the more expensive mostly because I believe you DO get what you pay for. However, I also believe it’s important to check before purchasing where the product is made. I’m so over everything being made in China. Cheaply made with cheap materials but not always cheap to buy. Hence ‘you get what you pay for’ isn’t always best. So if there’s no or little choice you buy what’s available. I like nice clothes and tend to wear Australian designs, BUT I do find far to often they’re made overseas and shipped to Australia for retailers. It’s all about the Money.

It depends somethings are quite good in the cheaper range, but I tend to stick to named brands they do seem to be stronger and last longer, went out to buy a freezer hubby insisted on buying the cheap one I wanted the Westinghouse which was $300 more, we now have an expensive broom cupboard broke down 6 months in then a month after that then another month after, my neighbours loved it because I had to distribute all the food that had thawed out to everyone so as not to waste it. I have a 30+ year old vacuum Miele I love it, bought a Dyson stick for just quick clean ups and my old vac is ten times better still at it's age, have a 30+ fridge freezer side by side I dread the day I have to replace them, things are not built to last it is all about keeping stores in business.

If you buy from the likes of Aldi who seem to have a lower profit margin, the cheaper item is just as good.
I bought a bullet mixer from them considerably cheaper and its been dropped a couple of time, grinded things it really shouldn't be, and its still perfect. Just because its cheap doesn't make it bad.

Now, I used to own a shop - I had a "markup" that I tried to apply to my items. I would buy wholesale and do the maths and so many times the item would cost out at like a third of what the other shops were selling them for. Experience told me that my item would be considered inferior because it was "cheap and nasty" so I made my prices just a little under theirs. I KNEW what they bought these things for! I imagine the likes of K-Mart etc when they sell things for a ridiculously cheap price are still making money as one thing I remember (if I bought 4000 of them) I could buy for 40c and sell for $4.00.

I bought a large pack of toilet rolls during the lockdown stashed them away 2 years later now using them & the quality so much better than the ones I have purchased recently Kleenex Cotton

Reactions: Ezzy, RTS and Ricci

For a start it must be about 99% of anything in Australia is made in China so it's absolute rubbish anyway. 😕
A lot of things you buy you should buy two of as one will probably only last a couple of weeks.

Even expensive well known brands don't seem so solid now. However, I do a lot of review research before buying anything these days and still go for more expensive items depending on what I'm buying.