Young mum criticised for 'lax parenting' after toddler paints on white walls

On Wednesday, a toddler gave his mum a shock of her lifetime by using a bottle of red paint to 'redecorate' their spotless white walls.

Sydney resident Indy Clinton, 25, uploaded the shocking video to TikTok showing her 1-year-old son, Navy, covered in red paint.

If the child had been doing nothing more than having fun with paint, everything would have been perfectly fine.

But when he smeared the paint all over the white doors, floorboards, and even their priceless coffee table, it appeared as though the kid was trying to show off a little bit of his artistic side.

'You. Are. Kidding,' Indy began the video, 'Are you joking? Navy, stop. What did you just do?' After that, she takes a look all around at the chaos in her living room, and then she bursts out laughing.

dGFleHZPLICcqMMJgEsjc7KMYMklqymbDAnNpBCYsWBHjjcBmMg7kNZ5PIRa1UYOm0xQAFz3lcXVPUcrOpM9bgfmV176ji0wIuzNd5HxVxFlfLjYLlHTFlH0xG-6GMHMa-s1Xh3U1hspskUg37JzWA

When Indy saw the mess, she told her son to ‘stop’ before laughing about it. Credit: Instagram.

The lighthearted video on TikTok has already amassed over 5.7 million views on the platform, and the hundreds of users who took their time to comment surprisingly have a variety of different opinions about the clip. More particularly – on Indy's parenting style and how she disciplined her child.

Although some people found the video to be 'cute' and 'funny,' others had more intense reactions to it and even criticised Indy for her 'lax' approach to the situation.

'Personally, I wouldn't let that slide. That's where I draw the line,' one user wrote in the comments. A second one went on to ask, 'How long was he left alone to do all that?'

Meanwhile, a third person pointed out that Indy was responding to the issue by laughing out loud, something she should not be doing.

'He thinks it's funny because you're laughing. I don't think he knows right from wrong because you always laugh,' they said.

A fourth one joined the conversation and added: 'I'm all for gentle parenting, but kids need to know right from wrong.'

Others defended Indy's parenting approach, asserting that 'blowing up the situation' would not do anything to solve the issue and that it was somewhat inappropriate given the circumstances.

'He is literally a one-year-old. I don't think yelling at him would help,' one person said in the comments.

A second user went on to add: 'Is she supposed to execute them on sight? Maybe a long talk and consequences were had after and off camera?'

In the past, Indy has spoken in public discussions about how she brings up her children, as well as the principles and guidelines that she adheres to when it comes to being a parent. The mum is now expecting her second child, a daughter.

In another TikTok video, the mother is heard saying that there are certain things that she will never do to either of her children in her role as a parent.

‘I will never physically discipline my child’

When Indy was a little girl, her parents disciplined her through the use of physical punishments, such as hitting her with a belt or a wooden spoon when she misbehaved.

But now that she is a mum herself, she says that 'violence' of this kind is not the appropriate method to discipline children, especially since they're still growing up.

Professor David Hawes, a child psychologist who studies behavioural patterns, has said that research shows that spanking can make bad behaviour worse.

'Parents have become much more aware that a big part of managing their kids' behaviour is managing child emotions. This is a positive shift, but it has left many parents confused about how to [deal with] misbehaviour or aggression,' said Mr Hawes.

‘I will never make them kiss or hug older relatives’

The second 'rule' that she will not be adhering to is the one that requires her to encourage children to hug and kiss their elderly relatives.

'If he doesn't want to kiss and hug somebody, he doesn't have to. I don't care if it's family; he does not have to do it. I want people to know and respect his choices - it's his body, his rules,' she said.

‘I will never make my children pay rent’

Besides that, the mum has no intention of ever asking her future children to contribute to rent.

'I will never make him pay rent. I understand why families do make their children pay rent; it teaches them good habits,' said the mum, adding, 'But I brought this child into the world, so I'm not going to make them pay rent at 15.'

'You brought that child into the world, so you do not need to give them money stress.'

mXx9Si5jynTGW_9kP42c2HpWRgsMOghz4t5nn_UvC2mkERtwu5bnI_8wXWqfBAdSbOkv1DWGlUpaAy0B1PQ0Qul8PMnf7MB-hJA9b0sKTQI5ZDGA5GXXMvcjmb4AMspdsz8rQFUyKy4ff6oqCY7U1Q

Children don't learn good habits from violence. Credit: Sanford Health. (Stock photo)
‘I will never impose a strict curfew’

Indy grew up in a 'strict' household, so instead of enforcing bedtimes and limiting after-hours activities, she now takes a more relaxed approach.

'I don't want to be a strict parent when it comes to parties and curfews because I want him to be completely open with me. The stricter you are, the more rebellious the kids are. It's just a fact,' she said.

'I was brought up in the strictest family ever, and being the youngest of five I feel like I was always the baby... I want to be the mum that he feels comfortable calling first if he needs anything, at any time, and I'll be there in my pyjamas with some chicken nuggets.'

‘I will never make them eat food they don't like’

Even though she has a sponsorship deal with a food delivery app and often posts photos of her favourite meals and dishes, Indy said she won't force Navy and her unborn daughter to eat certain foods – especially if they don't find them appetising.

'I will never force him to eat anything he doesn't want to eat. Obviously, I'm going to guide him to try foods he hasn't had before, but I'm not going to blackmail him like: “If you don't finish what's on your plate, you don't get dessert”,'’ she said.

So what do you think, folks? Do you agree with how Indy raises her kids? If you can think of any parenting rules that would fit in with the list, please do not hesitate to share them with us in the comments section!

Sponsored
I cannot believe the stupidity and lack of care by the mother not only to have left a one year old unattended for what must have been quite a while, but leaving a tin of paint around. What if he had digested it, got it in his eyes! Poor little mite! I am totally disgusted at her irresponsible attitude!!

On Wednesday, a toddler gave his mum a shock of her lifetime by using a bottle of red paint to 'redecorate' their spotless white walls.

Sydney resident Indy Clinton, 25, uploaded the shocking video to TikTok showing her 1-year-old son, Navy, covered in red paint.

If the child had been doing nothing more than having fun with paint, everything would have been perfectly fine.

But when he smeared the paint all over the white doors, floorboards, and even their priceless coffee table, it appeared as though the kid was trying to show off a little bit of his artistic side.

'You. Are. Kidding,' Indy began the video, 'Are you joking? Navy, stop. What did you just do?' After that, she takes a look all around at the chaos in her living room, and then she bursts out laughing.

dGFleHZPLICcqMMJgEsjc7KMYMklqymbDAnNpBCYsWBHjjcBmMg7kNZ5PIRa1UYOm0xQAFz3lcXVPUcrOpM9bgfmV176ji0wIuzNd5HxVxFlfLjYLlHTFlH0xG-6GMHMa-s1Xh3U1hspskUg37JzWA

When Indy saw the mess, she told her son to ‘stop’ before laughing about it. Credit: Instagram.

The lighthearted video on TikTok has already amassed over 5.7 million views on the platform, and the hundreds of users who took their time to comment surprisingly have a variety of different opinions about the clip. More particularly – on Indy's parenting style and how she disciplined her child.

Although some people found the video to be 'cute' and 'funny,' others had more intense reactions to it and even criticised Indy for her 'lax' approach to the situation.

'Personally, I wouldn't let that slide. That's where I draw the line,' one user wrote in the comments. A second one went on to ask, 'How long was he left alone to do all that?'

Meanwhile, a third person pointed out that Indy was responding to the issue by laughing out loud, something she should not be doing.

'He thinks it's funny because you're laughing. I don't think he knows right from wrong because you always laugh,' they said.

A fourth one joined the conversation and added: 'I'm all for gentle parenting, but kids need to know right from wrong.'

Others defended Indy's parenting approach, asserting that 'blowing up the situation' would not do anything to solve the issue and that it was somewhat inappropriate given the circumstances.

'He is literally a one-year-old. I don't think yelling at him would help,' one person said in the comments.

A second user went on to add: 'Is she supposed to execute them on sight? Maybe a long talk and consequences were had after and off camera?'

In the past, Indy has spoken in public discussions about how she brings up her children, as well as the principles and guidelines that she adheres to when it comes to being a parent. The mum is now expecting her second child, a daughter.

In another TikTok video, the mother is heard saying that there are certain things that she will never do to either of her children in her role as a parent.

When Indy was a little girl, her parents disciplined her through the use of physical punishments, such as hitting her with a belt or a wooden spoon when she misbehaved.

But now that she is a mum herself, she says that 'violence' of this kind is not the appropriate method to discipline children, especially since they're still growing up.

Professor David Hawes, a child psychologist who studies behavioural patterns, has said that research shows that spanking can make bad behaviour worse.

'Parents have become much more aware that a big part of managing their kids' behaviour is managing child emotions. This is a positive shift, but it has left many parents confused about how to [deal with] misbehaviour or aggression,' said Mr Hawes.

The second 'rule' that she will not be adhering to is the one that requires her to encourage children to hug and kiss their elderly relatives.

'If he doesn't want to kiss and hug somebody, he doesn't have to. I don't care if it's family; he does not have to do it. I want people to know and respect his choices - it's his body, his rules,' she said.

Besides that, the mum has no intention of ever asking her future children to contribute to rent.

'I will never make him pay rent. I understand why families do make their children pay rent; it teaches them good habits,' said the mum, adding, 'But I brought this child into the world, so I'm not going to make them pay rent at 15.'

'You brought that child into the world, so you do not need to give them money stress.'

mXx9Si5jynTGW_9kP42c2HpWRgsMOghz4t5nn_UvC2mkERtwu5bnI_8wXWqfBAdSbOkv1DWGlUpaAy0B1PQ0Qul8PMnf7MB-hJA9b0sKTQI5ZDGA5GXXMvcjmb4AMspdsz8rQFUyKy4ff6oqCY7U1Q

Children don't learn good habits from violence. Credit: Sanford Health. (Stock photo)

Indy grew up in a 'strict' household, so instead of enforcing bedtimes and limiting after-hours activities, she now takes a more relaxed approach.

'I don't want to be a strict parent when it comes to parties and curfews because I want him to be completely open with me. The stricter you are, the more rebellious the kids are. It's just a fact,' she said.

'I was brought up in the strictest family ever, and being the youngest of five I feel like I was always the baby... I want to be the mum that he feels comfortable calling first if he needs anything, at any time, and I'll be there in my pyjamas with some chicken nuggets.'

Even though she has a sponsorship deal with a food delivery app and often posts photos of her favourite meals and dishes, Indy said she won't force Navy and her unborn daughter to eat certain foods – especially if they don't find them appetising.

'I will never force him to eat anything he doesn't want to eat. Obviously, I'm going to guide him to try foods he hasn't had before, but I'm not going to blackmail him like: “If you don't finish what's on your plate, you don't get dessert”,'’ she said.

So what do you think, folks? Do you agree with how Indy raises her kids? If you can think of any parenting rules that would fit in with the list, please do not hesitate to share them with us in the comments section!

Great parenting skills …. NOT

I think Indi has a brat in the making with her lack of rules. As for the paint, how long was he unsupervised to make that mess and why was paint left lying around. I think Indi has a lot to learn about motherhood and parenting

I cannot believe the stupidity and lack of care by the mother not only to have left a one year old unattended for what must have been quite a while, but leaving a tin of paint around. What if he had digested it, got it in his eyes! Poor little mite! I am totally disgusted at her irresponsible attitude!!
Making a rod for her own back - and his.

For one the mother should not have left that paint in reach of the child. Imagine if he swallowed it or it went in his eyes.

Where was the mother ? It would have taken him time to get the paint...open it..then make that mess .

Kids need rules and routine , otherwise they will grow into an unruly teenager.

Firstly they need to be given a bedtime for both child and parent's sanity.

Unless they are allergic too then they should eat what they are given , although if they really dislike a particular food then skip that.

What about rules like sharing...being respectable omg the list goes on.

Kids need love and nurturing which include teaching them from an early age wrong and rights .

If as a teenager he wants to do drugs , stay out all night, drink alcohol ect ect then is that OK too

Those people who criticize her obviously do not have a 1 year old
I think the criticism comes because she stated she won't give him any rules and that he will be able to do what he wants.

I have three grandchildren 1 years old and I can guarantee my daughters know where they are all the time

Last edited:
I think with her rules, or lack of them she is setting herself up for an epic parenting fail. Kids need boundaries, they need to know what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. Her rules are all about what she won't do but no mention about things she will do.;)

She sounds like a good mum to me. Yelling at a one year old is a no no in my book. Teach them right from wrong but yelling and spanking doesn’t work. I didn’t force my children to eat what they didn’t like,I don’t eat what I don’t like. She learnt a lesson herself,don’t leave paint where a toddler can get it.

Reactions: Ricci
She's stated a lot of things she won't do. Some interesting outcomes for him and her as the years roll on.

She does not seem as adamant about what things she actually will be doing? What is this thing called parenting?

I think with her rules, or lack of them she is setting herself up for an epic parenting fail. Kids need boundaries, they need to know what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. Her rules are all about what she won't do but no mention about things she will do.;)
Agree with you 100%. Kids do what they are allowed to. They don’t know better. It’s up to parents to teach right from wrong unless they were never told that, from their parents either.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

I sure wouldn't be laughing at this. Where was the paint initially? Low enough that the child didn't need to climb! She says one year old but l would say one & closer to two.

If these are the rules Indy is going to raise Navy by l believe she is putting a millstone around her neck. I have seen personally the results of children bought up like this & when a complaint was made to a parent about their unacceptable behaviour, l was told, 'Awe. They are only kids.' Kids, these kids are 14 & 15 years old. Were they ever diciplined? Discipline included making a pellet gun from pvc pipe for them so they can shoot gravel at neighbours.

• Sad
Reactions: SandyM and Ricci