You Won't Believe Which Aussie Slang Words Shocked This US Expat – They're Taboo in America!

The Australian vernacular is as unique as the wildlife that roams the outback, and for newcomers from overseas, it can be as bewildering as trying to understand cricket on the first go. It's a language peppered with endearing terms, cheeky expressions, and a fair dose of what some might call 'cultural quirks'. But for one American expat, there's a particular Aussie slang that stands out as something that would cause quite a stir back in the States.

Ellie Drabik, an American who has called Australia home for nearly half a decade, has come to love the laid-back nature of Aussie speech. However, she was taken aback by how Australians refer to their senior citizens. Down Under, it's not uncommon to hear the term 'oldies' used in everyday conversation, a term that Ellie says would 'never fly' in the US.

1724822239982.png
American expats in Australia are surprised by the casual use of 'oldies' for the elderly. Credit: @elliedrabik / TikTok

In America, age is a sensitive topic, and calling someone 'old', let alone 'an oldie', might be seen as disrespectful or even ageist. But in Australia, Ellie has observed that the term is used affectionately and without malice. It's a cultural difference that highlights the relaxed Australian attitude towards aging and respect for the elderly.

On social media, Aussies were quick to defend the term 'oldies', with many explaining that it's used with warmth and familiarity. One user pointed out that 'the elderly' sounds much older than 'oldies', while another mentioned that referring to their father as 'my old man' is considered endearing. It seems that in Australia, the term helps bridge the gap between generations, fostering a sense of connection rather than division.

This isn't the first time an American has been taken by surprise by Australian customs. Another US expat, Brooke Laven, shared her admiration for the Aussie practice of greeting and thanking bus drivers – a common courtesy that she found to be 'uniquely Australian'. The idea that such basic manners could be considered unusual elsewhere was a revelation to many Australians, who consider it a normal part of everyday life.

The differences between American and Australian cultures can be as vast as the Pacific Ocean that separates them. What might be taboo or impolite in one country can be perfectly acceptable – even charming – in another. It's a reminder that when traveling or moving to a new country, it's essential to approach cultural norms with an open mind and a willingness to learn.

Credit: @elliedrabik / TikTok

For our members here at the Seniors Discount Club, we're curious to hear your thoughts. Have you encountered any slang terms while travelling that surprised you? How do you feel about the term 'oldies'? And do you make it a point to thank your bus driver? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below – we love hearing from you!
Key Takeaways
  • An American expatriate in Australia finds the colloquial term 'oldies' surprising as it would be unacceptable in the US to refer to the elderly in such a way.
  • The term 'oldies' is commonly used in Australia and is not considered offensive, often seen as affectionate or endearing.
  • Social media users confirmed the use of the term 'oldies' in Australia and shared that it's a term of affection to refer to older generations, including parents and grandparents.
  • Another US expat highlighted the cultural practice of greeting and thanking bus drivers in Australia as 'uniquely Australian', differing from the manners expected in public transport in other countries.
Remember, language is a living thing, and it evolves with the people who use it. Whether you're an 'oldie', a 'young'un', or somewhere in between, the words we choose can say a lot about our values and the society we live in. So, let's celebrate our linguistic differences and the rich tapestry they weave in the story of our lives.

Sponsored
I had a friend visit from the US a few years back and she couldn't get over the friendly greetings from everyone from retail workers, to wait staff to passers by on the street. Especially since tips weren't expected. I do hope Aussies never change

Back in 2006 I was flown to America as a reward for achieving some difficult targets by my employers. There were a number of us, about 30 if I remember correctly. We flew from Sydney to Los Angeles for 14 hours and then were put into a very luxurious coach with a Mexican driver who was to take us to Las Vegas. It was a great trip via Death Valley and the scenery was breathtaking in parts. We arrived at our hotel in Vegas after five hours and the driver was just great. He told us about various high points throughout the trip and helped us with our luggage. His expression was incredible as our leader handed him the $300.00 we collected for him as a tip at the end of the journey. He was so surprised when we all thanked him as we alighted and in the end he had a couple of tears running down his face.

Yep.
Down under is the place to be.
When I am out, toddling up to the shops, or sweeping the footpath, there will always be hello, how ya goin, whether it's people I know, or not. I have petted many a dog being taken on walkies, and, held amusing conversations with toddlers.
Life it too short. Might as well have a smile on the dial when you pass someone by.

You know, I started wondering if the Americans had a sense of humour when I was a kid and heard that they couldn't understand The Goon Show or any British comedy if it comes to that.

I now know they don't. They're so hypocritical. They have an attack of the vapours at the word 'oldies', yet think it's perfectly reasonable to give mentally ill people licences to possess assault rifles.

You know, I started wondering if the Americans had a sense of humour when I was a kid and heard that they couldn't understand The Goon Show or any British comedy if it comes to that.

I now know they don't. They're so hypocritical. They have an attack of the vapours at the word 'oldies', yet think it's perfectly reasonable to give mentally ill people licences to possess assault rifles.

As a white person, just don't say the "n****r" word. Unless you are a "n****r".

Could never understand that.

But it's OK for a "n****r" to call me a "white c**t"!
I have a feeling people will shy away from using emojis and making comment on this, it is certainly a touchy subject. I have often thought the same especially when American comedians start making this sort of comment and I change the channel because I really don't understand it at all

Reactions: Ezzy and Jennie
At least Australians usually say "Hello" when answering a phone and "Goodbye" when hanging up.
I’ve noticed that in some American tv shows and movies that the phone calls tend to start and end unfinished. That isn’t reality. When I lived in North America, people always said “hello” when answering the phone and “goodbye” at the end of the call.

I'm entering into it. I am white and have never been offended to be called so. If there were derogatory words to go with it, I would be most upset. "Black People" get upset if you just call them black. (It's just a colour) My point is, to me, I don't care if you are black, white or brindle, if you are a good person, then I like you.