You Won't Believe Which Aussie Slang Words Shocked This US Expat – They're Taboo in America!

The Australian vernacular is as unique as the wildlife that roams the outback, and for newcomers from overseas, it can be as bewildering as trying to understand cricket on the first go. It's a language peppered with endearing terms, cheeky expressions, and a fair dose of what some might call 'cultural quirks'. But for one American expat, there's a particular Aussie slang that stands out as something that would cause quite a stir back in the States.

Ellie Drabik, an American who has called Australia home for nearly half a decade, has come to love the laid-back nature of Aussie speech. However, she was taken aback by how Australians refer to their senior citizens. Down Under, it's not uncommon to hear the term 'oldies' used in everyday conversation, a term that Ellie says would 'never fly' in the US.

1724822239982.png
American expats in Australia are surprised by the casual use of 'oldies' for the elderly. Credit: @elliedrabik / TikTok

In America, age is a sensitive topic, and calling someone 'old', let alone 'an oldie', might be seen as disrespectful or even ageist. But in Australia, Ellie has observed that the term is used affectionately and without malice. It's a cultural difference that highlights the relaxed Australian attitude towards aging and respect for the elderly.

On social media, Aussies were quick to defend the term 'oldies', with many explaining that it's used with warmth and familiarity. One user pointed out that 'the elderly' sounds much older than 'oldies', while another mentioned that referring to their father as 'my old man' is considered endearing. It seems that in Australia, the term helps bridge the gap between generations, fostering a sense of connection rather than division.

This isn't the first time an American has been taken by surprise by Australian customs. Another US expat, Brooke Laven, shared her admiration for the Aussie practice of greeting and thanking bus drivers – a common courtesy that she found to be 'uniquely Australian'. The idea that such basic manners could be considered unusual elsewhere was a revelation to many Australians, who consider it a normal part of everyday life.

The differences between American and Australian cultures can be as vast as the Pacific Ocean that separates them. What might be taboo or impolite in one country can be perfectly acceptable – even charming – in another. It's a reminder that when traveling or moving to a new country, it's essential to approach cultural norms with an open mind and a willingness to learn.

Credit: @elliedrabik / TikTok

For our members here at the Seniors Discount Club, we're curious to hear your thoughts. Have you encountered any slang terms while travelling that surprised you? How do you feel about the term 'oldies'? And do you make it a point to thank your bus driver? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below – we love hearing from you!
Key Takeaways
  • An American expatriate in Australia finds the colloquial term 'oldies' surprising as it would be unacceptable in the US to refer to the elderly in such a way.
  • The term 'oldies' is commonly used in Australia and is not considered offensive, often seen as affectionate or endearing.
  • Social media users confirmed the use of the term 'oldies' in Australia and shared that it's a term of affection to refer to older generations, including parents and grandparents.
  • Another US expat highlighted the cultural practice of greeting and thanking bus drivers in Australia as 'uniquely Australian', differing from the manners expected in public transport in other countries.
Remember, language is a living thing, and it evolves with the people who use it. Whether you're an 'oldie', a 'young'un', or somewhere in between, the words we choose can say a lot about our values and the society we live in. So, let's celebrate our linguistic differences and the rich tapestry they weave in the story of our lives.

Sponsored
Americans are all the same and think the same just as much as all Australians think the same and are the same.

That was a stupid remark wasn’t it? Therefore, how can one American be an authority on what all Americans believe? I would never presume to speak for how all Australians think and act.

I’ve only got one thing to say to those whinging yanks! Those living in glass houses should not throw stones!!! They have strange ways of saying things too. Different countries have different expressions, different accents, different customs. Each to their own! If you chose to visit or live in a foreign country accept their ways or GO HOME!! 🤬

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM
The first time my father visited Australia he told my brother-in-law,
"Gee, the Aussies are so friendly!"

'What makes you think that?"
"Everyone waves at you!"

"Not really, they're shooing away the flies".

I'm entering into it. I am white and have never been offended to be called so. If there were derogatory words to go with it, I would be most upset. "Black People" get upset if you just call them black. (It's just a colour) My point is, to me, I don't care if you are black, white or brindle, if you are a good person, then I like you.
You sound like a nice person. 👍🏻

The first time my father visited Australia he told my brother-in-law,
"Gee, the Aussies are so friendly!"

'What makes you think that?"
"Everyone waves at you!"

"Not really, they're shooing away the flies".
The Australian salute was one of the first things my father-in-law told me when I’d arrived in Australia from Canada in Dec 1974. I was staying with them in Meckering, WA. We were out collecting wood (and I swallowed my first fly.) I learnt quickly to keep my mouth shut. I suppose that was his reasoning behind telling me about the salute. 😉

I’ve only got one thing to say to those whinging yanks! Those living in glass houses should not throw stones!!! They have strange ways of saying things too. Different countries have different expressions, different accents, different customs. Each to their own! If you chose to visit or live in a foreign country accept their ways or GO HOME!! 🤬
Who’s whinging now? 😆

Reactions: Marvin Kombi
I refer to my parents as the oldies when l am talking about them. Example, we are going to visit the oldies on the weekend?
To their face always mum and Georgie my step father.
I refer to my grown kids 41 and 39 as you kids. We have a beautiful young couple next door we refer to them as the kids next door. Our grandkids between the six of them. I have Grandma, Granny and Gangster Granny. Their Grandfather only gets Grandad. All these names are terms of in dearment. My daughter has nick names for all four of her kids.
I don't like being referred to by the old girl. My daughter always calls her father the old boy when asking about him. She adores her dad. My mother finds the old lady and old man very disrespectful. I tend to agree.
I bet every family has different names for their loved ones.
Kind regards to all Vicki

I refer to my parents as the oldies when l am talking about them. Example, we are going to visit the oldies on the weekend?
To their face always mum and Georgie my step father.
I refer to my grown kids 41 and 39 as you kids. We have a beautiful young couple next door we refer to them as the kids next door. Our grandkids between the six of them. I have Grandma, Granny and Gangster Granny. Their Grandfather only gets Grandad. All these names are terms of in dearment. My daughter has nick names for all four of her kids.
I don't like being referred to by the old girl. My daughter always calls her father the old boy when asking about him. She adores her dad. My mother finds the old lady and old man very disrespectful. I tend to agree.
I bet every family has different names for their loved ones.
Kind regards to all Vicki
Such a lovely family you have @BellaB18. And lucky young couple living next door to you. I still refer to my grown kids (aged 50, 48, 44 & 41) as kids.

(Love the Gangster Granny ❤️). You have a family with a sense of humour too!

I don't know why us "Whites" are complaining about. I'm always hearing that we are racists by every "Gook" around.

As I, with many millions of us say, "If you don't like it here, well piss off to where ever you came from".

• Love
Reactions: Rosi Gordon
Really?? Maybe she needs to go back to the States..this is our country and we love it..if she doesn't like it or wants to whinge about it then she's not integrating well here!
She is neither whingeing, nor disliking. She is simply commenting on noticable differences. She has been here a long time, so obviously she likes it.

Reactions: DLHM
I refer to the Mother in law as Ol Girl, NOT OLD GIRL, just ol girl.
She gets narky with me and says "I'm not an old girl"
Then when we hear the crows and maggies in the trees, I say to ol girl, sorry I missed that can you say that again.
Thats when it hits the fan, nothing wrong with the hearing then, oh these 88 year olds.. 😺

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM and BellaB18
Dont know how the Yanks would handle this one. When I was growing up many adults would call their friends or others who were down on their luck or having a bad time,,Poor Bastards .. We all knew what they were meaning ,they were sympathizing ,feeling sorry for the person. It was accepted as genuine sympathy. jay2

Reactions: Gsr
Dont know how the Yanks would handle this one. When I was growing up many adults would call their friends or others who were down on their luck or having a bad time,,Poor Bastards .. We all knew what they were meaning ,they were sympathizing ,feeling sorry for the person. It was accepted as genuine sympathy. jay2
The tone of voice and the way “Poor Bastards” was said would make it obvious what it means, even for “Yanks”.

Reactions: mOiOz
When I was at the podiatrist and told him I go barefoot most of the time at home he suggested I should wear shoes more. I told him it is probably the ”coon” blood running through my veins is why i like it, he was so shocked i would call myself that. I told him I’m proud of my heritage and never get upset by what people call me, life is too short to bother about a name, I’m far too busy enjoying myself to care about silly things like that.