You won't believe what Today host Karl Stefanovic falsely claimed about ex-president Barack Obama

If it wasn’t already clear—Australians have a special sense of humour unlike any other nationality.

From the iconic comedies and ad-libs from TV personalities to the famous cheeky Aussie put-downs people have become so familiar with, you can’t deny everyone’s got a soft spot for the nation's distinct brand of wit.

And while it's great to be able to share a joke between mates in the pub or get a quick laugh at the local comedy circuit, there’s nothing quite like seeing a news anchor take a jab at other anchors and executives across international borders.

Take Karl Stefanovic, the beloved Today show co-host, for example.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 094556.png
Today Host Karl pranks her co-host Sarah about fake news regarding former US President Barrack Obama. Image: Youtube / @Today

A widely popular breakfast show presenter, Karl has mastered the trick of striking that balance between entertaining his loyal fans on the daily while also teaching the rest of the world a thing or two about Australia’s sense of humour.

The veteran breakfast show host managed to outdo himself a few weeks ago when he shocked his international fanbase with a light-hearted prank that left even his own co-host, Sarah Abo, utterly stunned.

In a video posted on social media, Karl can be seen looking sombre while informing viewers of the 'breaking news' he just received 'out of the United States'.

'Former U.S. President Barack Obama—we're just waiting to verify this—but we're hearing that former U.S. President Barack Obama has been arrested,' he said.

As his fellow anchor hung onto his every word, Karl continued: 'It may be on historic charges, related to when he was in the White House, so pretty significant.'

To say that the whole room was in shock over what was unfolding in front of them would be an understatement, even co-anchor Sarah could only say, 'Wow.'

But Karl himself had trouble holding in his amusement as he struggled to keep a straight face while delivering the fake scoop.

But after he was unable to contain himself any longer and gave away the joke with a fit of laughter, Sarah reacted with fury, slapping his arm and storming off camera with these classic words of revenge: 'I hate you! I hate you forever! I even had a Christmas present for you, and you're not getting it anymore!'

Meanwhile, fans of the popular Aussie presenter took to the comments of the video, cracking up with laughter and sharing their disbelief over the stunt.

‘This guy had me too,’ shared one person whilst another added, ‘The way I literally went to get my remote to turn the TV on.’

And the final comment summed up the whole situation with, ‘Aussie humour at its best’.

You can watch the TV skit’s full video below:

Key Takeaways

• Karl Stefanovic, Today show’s host, surprised fans by pulling a prank, claiming that former U.S. President Barack Obama had been arrested.
  • The stunt video went viral on social media, with many viewers believing the fake news segment until Stefanovic started laughing.
  • Co-presenter Sarah Abo walked off stage in apparent frustration, threatening to withhold Stefanovic's Christmas gift due to the joke.
  • Followers of the show shared amused and surprised reactions in the comments section, appreciating the Australian humour and the host's prank.

What do you think of this story? Did you watch this news segment live? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
If it wasn’t already clear—Australians have a special sense of humour unlike any other nationality.

From the iconic comedies and ad-libs from TV personalities to the famous cheeky Aussie put-downs people have become so familiar with, you can’t deny everyone’s got a soft spot for the nation's distinct brand of wit.

And while it's great to be able to share a joke between mates in the pub or get a quick laugh at the local comedy circuit, there’s nothing quite like seeing a news anchor take a jab at other anchors and executives across international borders.

View attachment 36731
Today Host Karl pranks her co-host Sarah about fake news regarding former US President Barrack Obama. Image: Youtube / @Today

A widely popular breakfast show presenter, Karl has mastered the trick of striking that balance between entertaining his loyal fans on the daily while also teaching the rest of the world a thing or two about Australia’s sense of humour.

The veteran breakfast show host managed to outdo himself a few weeks ago when he shocked his international fanbase with a light-hearted prank that left even his own co-host, Sarah Abo, utterly stunned.

In a video posted on social media, Karl can be seen looking sombre while informing viewers of the 'breaking news' he just received 'out of the United States'.

'Former U.S. President Barack Obama—we're just waiting to verify this—but we're hearing that former U.S. President Barack Obama has been arrested,' he said.

As his fellow anchor hung onto his every word, Karl continued: 'It may be on historic charges, related to when he was in the White House, so pretty significant.'

To say that the whole room was in shock over what was unfolding in front of them would be an understatement, even co-anchor Sarah could only say, 'Wow.'

But Karl himself had trouble holding in his amusement as he struggled to keep a straight face while delivering the fake scoop.

But after he was unable to contain himself any longer and gave away the joke with a fit of laughter, Sarah reacted with fury, slapping his arm and storming off camera with these classic words of revenge: 'I hate you! I hate you forever! I even had a Christmas present for you, and you're not getting it anymore!'

Meanwhile, fans of the popular Aussie presenter took to the comments of the video, cracking up with laughter and sharing their disbelief over the stunt.

‘This guy had me too,’ shared one person whilst another added, ‘The way I literally went to get my remote to turn the TV on.’

And the final comment summed up the whole situation with, ‘Aussie humour at its best’.

Key Takeaways

• Karl Stefanovic, Today show’s host, surprised fans by pulling a prank, claiming that former U.S. President Barack Obama had been arrested.
  • The stunt video went viral on social media, with many viewers believing the fake news segment until Stefanovic started laughing.
  • Co-presenter Sarah Abo walked off stage in apparent frustration, threatening to withhold Stefanovic's Christmas gift due to the joke.
  • Followers of the show shared amused and surprised reactions in the comments section, appreciating the Australian humour and the host's prank.

What do you think of this story? Did you watch this news segment live? Let us know in the comments below!

Idiocy at its best. With the world the way it is the laughter etc might have been missed and I can see it being spread over media in a flash. Not good and not Aussie humour in my mind,

Reactions: AlanQ
Who says he's beloved I for one can't stand him he's full of himself

View attachment 36731

Key Takeaways

Reactions: AlanQ

View attachment 36731

Key Takeaways

and that is funny!!!!!!!!!! NOT. the POMS leave aussies for dead when it comes to humour. this is a sick one.

Wonder what would happen if the opposition morning vomit session show put it out there that little Karl had dropped off the twig? Would a national day of mourning be declared or a national day of celebration?
now that would be a good joke. see if he laughs then.

this is the sort o crap that gets seen by ppl to not far down the track they believe it to be real and a new urban myth is created. Every time I see clips on this site from the commercial network breakfast shows just reinforces my belief of how pathetic that people watch this for their news or current events. Pure juvenile deville.
i watch his brother on fox. nine is a leftist outfit.

Reactions: JedCorella
i watch his brother on fox. nine is a leftist outfit.
All the mains stream media is bought and paid for by big business and the government. None of them have any credibility left, especially after all the Covid lies that are coming to the surface now. It was a lie and experiment all along.
Ask Greg Hunt out ex federal health minister why he quit!

All the mains stream media is bought and paid for by big business and the government. None of them have any credibility left, especially after all the Covid lies that are coming to the surface now. It was a lie and experiment all along.
Ask Greg Hunt out ex federal health minister why he quit!
What was the lie and experiment about Covid and for what purpose? Don't have Greg Hunt on speed dial - why did he quit apart from his given explanation? Just curious.

View attachment 36731

Key Takeaways

This is an example of the worst joke ever. It is not funny nor entertaining - just very bad taste!

Reactions: MariaG

View attachment 36731

Key Takeaways

Once a DICK always a DICK he is a total MORON a true oxygen thief lowlife scumbag

Reactions: Hel

View attachment 36731

Key Takeaways

I have never liked practical jokes, especially if I am the target.
Call me boring, but I just can't see the point in them, particularly if they make someone look like a stunned fish.
Many years ago, workmates of mine decided to play a prank on me, Mrs serious pants. I always brought my lunch to work and kept it in a cooler bag on the floor next to my desk. One of the young ingrates I worked with thought it would be funny to take my sandwich out of the cooler and hide it. So, lunch time came around, no sandwich. I was being watched during my confusion and was a source of great hilarity. Only thing was, they did not fess up and I was let scratching my head and without lunch. Eventually, hours later, I was told to look in my filing cabinet under S for sandwich. Might have been amusing, but the lunch was in a cooler for a reason. It was kept in the cabinet too long and I had to toss it.
I was not impressed, nor did I think it was funny. Mrs Serious became Mrs pull your heads in idiots and it made for a strained atmosphere the rest of the day.
Pranks have their place, certainly serious news as Karl presented should never have been tolerated. Lots of people watching.

Wonder what would happen if the opposition morning vomit session show put it out there that little Karl had dropped off the twig? Would a national day of mourning be declared or a national day of celebration?
celebrate!

The real problem with Karl is that he thinks he's funny. He's not. Spends so much time laughing at his own juvenile jokes he doesn't notice the rest of us aren't laughing. GROW UP KARL. YOU'RE AN EMBARASSMENT.

Weak as First Nations' non-male urine, to clean up an old Strayan saying.
If Stefanovic told me that Monday follows Sunday, I wouldn't believe him.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Knell
Weak as First Nations' non-male urine, to clean up an old Strayan saying.
If Stefanovic told me that Monday follows Sunday, I wouldn't believe him.I can't s
THANK YOU EVERYONE. I've been trying to tell CH9 for years that they should have Peter in place of that fool. I cannot stomach him. As someone said "he can't sing, can't dance and isn't funny". I can't stand how he treats women and makes me sick when I pick up a magazine only to find that disgusting (man?) person in every copy. I switch channels to anywhere else but 9. You have to wonder why CH9 can't work out why the TODAY SHOW has rapidly gone south in the ratings.

Reactions: Zemo
THANK YOU EVERYONE. I've been trying to tell CH9 for years that they should have Peter in place of that fool. I cannot stomach him. As someone said "he can't sing, can't dance and isn't funny". I can't stand how he treats women and makes me sick when I pick up a magazine only to find that disgusting (man?) person in every copy. I switch channels to anywhere else but 9. You have to wonder why CH9 can't work out why the TODAY SHOW has rapidly gone south in the ratings.
Here's an indication of just how many brain cells this fool can bring to his task. Once upon a time, little Karl was being shown around an opal claim -- it might have been Coober Pedy, but it doesn't matter. He was nattering on in the usual Karl manner to the owner of the claim about opal mining in general. Then he said, "How far do you have to dig before you can find an opal?"

View attachment 36731

Key Takeaways

It won't be a prank in the near future, arrest Obama ,he's as crook as they come.

Apparently Obama left the presidency much much wealthier than before he became president !!!
All US presidents do Just like any other politician, they are leeches. In the case of George Bush the presidency was good for getting contacts to sell weapons to.

Reactions: Robbo3006