You won't believe what this Aussie diner paid for a simple croissant and juice brekkie!

These days, it's natural to expect a bit of a markup when dining at an airport or other tourist hotspots. Right before or after a long flight or a tiring journey, we often find ourselves feeling peckish and vulnerable to the higher prices set by airport vendors, even if we grumble about it.

However, one Aussie diner recently shared their dining experience at Brisbane Airport that left them – and many of us here at the Seniors Discount Club – absolutely gobsmacked over the outrageous price they paid.

The story goes that the traveller purchased their brekkie from Sumo Salad at Brisbane Airport - hardly a luxurious dining establishment. The meal? A ham and cheese croissant and an orange juice – hardly a lavish gourmet feast that you’d expect a hefty price tag for!

But wait until you hear the grand total – a whopping $18.69 for the breakfast combo!

'BEHOLD! The $18.69 breakfast at Sumo Salad Brisbane Airport,' wrote the flabbergasted Aussie on Reddit.

1683080907289.png
Ooof - nearly $20 for this... Next time we head to the airport, we're packing our own snacks! Source: Reddit

Breaking it down, the ham and cheese croissant itself was priced at a jaw-dropping $12.50, while the modest juice cost an additional $6. To add insult to injury, the diner was also charged a 16-cent card surcharge.

The astronomical price sparked a debate among fellow travellers, many of whom were divided over whether or not the airport should be allowed to charge such steep prices, while others joked about re-mortgaging their house just to fund breakfast.

While some users pointed out that higher prices at airports are generally expected due to additional taxes and leasing fees, others argued that no ham and cheese croissant could ever be worth the princely sum of $12.50 and that the vendor was clearly capitalising on the captive audience.

One user sympathised with the plight, saying, 'That's f***ing wild! Lol at the card surcharge like they didn't already just rob you.'

Another shared their own two cents, simply adding, 'I just wouldn't buy it, f*** that. I'd rather have ice and air.'

Key Takeaways
  • An Aussie diner sparked debate after sharing the high price they paid for breakfast at Brisbane Airport.
  • The traveller revealed they paid just under $20 for a croissant and an orange juice from Sumo Salad.
  • Reddit users were divided on the issue, with some saying they weren't surprised by the price due to the location.
  • Others were shocked by the hefty cost and expressed their unwillingness to pay such a high price for the breakfast items.
One witty Reddit user even suggested a new name for the establishment: 'It's now known as Su-No salad. Nope, never again.'

But before we grab the pitchforks, it’s worth noting that there may be other factors at play than pure greed. According to CaptainFI, the elevated prices of food in airports are due to various factors, including high rent prices, delivery costs, security checks, and airport commissions. It is not just a case of profiteering from passengers being trapped in a limited environment with limited options.

Rent for airport food franchisees is significantly higher than for equivalent non-airport retail spaces, due to the monopoly of airports and lack of price regulation. This means franchisees are susceptible to increased prices, which are passed onto customers.

Airport food retail outlets can also be hit with a double whammy, as they must pay airport commission on top of rent. This can be up to 18%. In addition, electricity is often more expensive for airport food vendors as it is at a fixed price, with transport and delivery costs also higher due to traffic congestion and additional security checks.

Because airport food outlets have limited space, they have to resort to smaller, more frequent deliveries, and airport food workers need to go through security checks. They are also typically required to pay for parking, requiring them to take a shuttle to the terminal and adding extra time to their commute.

Having said all that - $18.69 for a juice and croissant is something we absolutely can’t condone here at the SDC!

Let this be a reminder to our dear members that next time you're travelling and get a craving for a pre-flight meal, it might be worth packing a few snacks in your bag to be prepared for such price gouging. Safe travels, and happy dining!

Reactions: Marj53
Sponsored
Nothing is cheap at the airport and if the person found it too expensive , why did he buy it ? It’s your choice , could have made a packet sandwich at home . I agree , don’t like the surcharge on credit card , should we all go back to paying cash ? I think paying with eftpos is not being surcharged .
I had to renew my driver’s license online and there is not an option , you have to pay by credit card and that cost me nearly $2.- extra .I don’t think it is correct , but you don’t have a choice.

Nothing is cheap at the airport and if the person found it too expensive , why did he buy it ? It’s your choice , could have made a packet sandwich at home . I agree , don’t like the surcharge on credit card , should we all go back to paying cash ? I think paying with eftpos is not being surcharged .
I had to renew my driver’s license online and there is not an option , you have to pay by credit card and that cost me nearly $2.- extra .I don’t think it is correct , but you don’t have a choice.
I use BPay to renew my drivers licence with the money coming out of my savings account rather than the credit card.

Also, don't all states still have motor registies where you can renew your licence?

We stop down the road at the DFO from Brisbane Airport, I highly recommend the Transit Lounge, they do great food all through the day, including early Breakfast. There are also some other food joints as well. Or the service stop further up has all the fast food joints. I am truly surprised that anyone honestly thinks of eating at the airport, just because it really does not look that tempting.

I use BPay to renew my drivers licence with the money coming out of my savings account rather than the credit card.

Also, don't all states still have motor registies where you can renew your licence?
QLD seems to closing all their local convenient motor registries and prefer you to do everything online.

These days, it's natural to expect a bit of a markup when dining at an airport or other tourist hotspots. Right before or after a long flight or a tiring journey, we often find ourselves feeling peckish and vulnerable to the higher prices set by airport vendors, even if we grumble about it.

However, one Aussie diner recently shared their dining experience at Brisbane Airport that left them – and many of us here at the Seniors Discount Club – absolutely gobsmacked over the outrageous price they paid.

The story goes that the traveller purchased their brekkie from Sumo Salad at Brisbane Airport - hardly a luxurious dining establishment. The meal? A ham and cheese croissant and an orange juice – hardly a lavish gourmet feast that you’d expect a hefty price tag for!

But wait until you hear the grand total – a whopping $18.69 for the breakfast combo!

'BEHOLD! The $18.69 breakfast at Sumo Salad Brisbane Airport,' wrote the flabbergasted Aussie on Reddit.

View attachment 18975
Ooof - nearly $20 for this... Next time we head to the airport, we're packing our own snacks! Source: Reddit

Breaking it down, the ham and cheese croissant itself was priced at a jaw-dropping $12.50, while the modest juice cost an additional $6. To add insult to injury, the diner was also charged a 16-cent card surcharge.

The astronomical price sparked a debate among fellow travellers, many of whom were divided over whether or not the airport should be allowed to charge such steep prices, while others joked about re-mortgaging their house just to fund breakfast.

While some users pointed out that higher prices at airports are generally expected due to additional taxes and leasing fees, others argued that no ham and cheese croissant could ever be worth the princely sum of $12.50 and that the vendor was clearly capitalising on the captive audience.

One user sympathised with the plight, saying, 'That's f***ing wild! Lol at the card surcharge like they didn't already just rob you.'

Another shared their own two cents, simply adding, 'I just wouldn't buy it, f*** that. I'd rather have ice and air.'

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie diner sparked debate after sharing the high price they paid for breakfast at Brisbane Airport.
  • The traveller revealed they paid just under $20 for a croissant and an orange juice from Sumo Salad.
  • Reddit users were divided on the issue, with some saying they weren't surprised by the price due to the location.
  • Others were shocked by the hefty cost and expressed their unwillingness to pay such a high price for the breakfast items.
One witty Reddit user even suggested a new name for the establishment: 'It's now known as Su-No salad. Nope, never again.'

But before we grab the pitchforks, it’s worth noting that there may be other factors at play than pure greed. According to CaptainFI, the elevated prices of food in airports are due to various factors, including high rent prices, delivery costs, security checks, and airport commissions. It is not just a case of profiteering from passengers being trapped in a limited environment with limited options.

Rent for airport food franchisees is significantly higher than for equivalent non-airport retail spaces, due to the monopoly of airports and lack of price regulation. This means franchisees are susceptible to increased prices, which are passed onto customers.

Airport food retail outlets can also be hit with a double whammy, as they must pay airport commission on top of rent. This can be up to 18%. In addition, electricity is often more expensive for airport food vendors as it is at a fixed price, with transport and delivery costs also higher due to traffic congestion and additional security checks.

Because airport food outlets have limited space, they have to resort to smaller, more frequent deliveries, and airport food workers need to go through security checks. They are also typically required to pay for parking, requiring them to take a shuttle to the terminal and adding extra time to their commute.

Having said all that - $18.69 for a juice and croissant is something we absolutely can’t condone here at the SDC!

Let this be a reminder to our dear members that next time you're travelling and get a craving for a pre-flight meal, it might be worth packing a few snacks in your bag to be prepared for such price gouging. Safe travels, and happy dining!
If you dont look at prices BEFORE you buy dont complain about being overcharged

Some of them in the country are either very busy, a 45 minute wait, or 40k drive to get to.