You won't believe what an Aussie shopper received after purchasing a $400 coffee table online

We’ve all been there - you buy something online after carefully researching it and choosing the perfect one, only to be faced with a huge disappointment when you actually receive it.

This was exactly the case for Aussie shopper Bec Hardgrave, who recently found herself in a situation that has left many of us shocked and amused.

Recently, Bec found herself in an online-shopping disaster, complete with a 'coffee table' she purchased that's better suited as a cheeseboard. Yes, you read that right.

Bec detailed her misadventure on social media, explaining how she thought she had snagged the perfect white cloud-shaped coffee table, measuring 110cm wide, for her new apartment. Bec paid a handsome $400 for the table, but when it arrived, she was gobsmacked.

table1.jpg
How much are you willing to pay for a coffee table? Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

The table was nothing like how it was advertised. Instead of a trendy, spacious coffee table, she received a miniature version of it.

Not losing her sense of humour, Bec dubbed her new table as meant for the 'seven f****** dwarfs'.

‘So, I recently just moved, and I wanted to buy some furniture for our new apartment, so I went online, I found what was labelled a “coffee table’”,’ Bec said in the clip.

‘I’m going to show you what came in the mail...Guys, this is a cheeseboard with legs. Are you actually kidding me?’

‘New trauma unlocked,’ she continued.

table2.jpg
Bec shared her disbelief online. Credit: bechardgrave/TikTok

Bec, alongside her disbelief, shared a video showcasing the laughable size of the 'coffee table' compared to a regular-sized dinner plate. Feeling the need to warn other potential victims, she aired out the entire saga.

‘This is it,’ she pointed out.

She stated that she reached out to the online retailer demanding a full refund.

‘So, I decided to email them, telling them the item that arrived is nothing like the pictures,’ she explained.

To her amazement, the retailer responded with what can only be described as 'a bizarre response’.

‘Really sorry for the dissatisfaction,’ the email read.

‘Our return policy means you need to return the item back to us first. When we receive it and confirm there is no man-made damage, we will refund you minus the shipping fee. That’s how it works. Hope you understand,’ it continued.

They advised Bec to return the item to their Foshan, China address, and once they confirmed no man-made damage existed, they would refund her — minus the shipping fee.

The company even said they were willing to provide a 10 per cent refund as compensation before urging Bec to consider selling the table in an online marketplace or gifting it to friends and family instead.

‘Hope you can consider keeping the item,’ the manufacturer stated.

Left baffled, Bec decided to inquire about the shipping quote to return her unfortunate purchase, and she was hit with a staggering $800 shipping fee! Considering the original cost of the table was only $400, she found herself trapped in a dilemma.

‘Obviously, I wasn’t willing to pay that much. So, I guess I’m stuck with this item,’ she said in the video.

Although frustrated and disappointed, Bec managed to see the humorous side and shared her experience on social media, which has now been viewed over 260,000 times.

Fellow users chimed in with their thoughts on how she could make the best of her new conversation piece.

‘Okay, but if anything comes from this, you got an elevated cheeseboard now,’ one said.

‘That looks like a Year 7 woodwork project,’ someone else joked.

‘You have to keep it! That’s just the best conversation starter,’ another suggested.

Meanwhile, many still urged Bec to contact her bank to dispute the online purchase.

‘My mum had a similar thing happen, and the bank reversed it as a fraud charge as they charged her for something different than what she received,’ one shared.

You can watch Bec’s video below:

If you ever find yourself in a situation like Bec's, don't hesitate to reach out to your bank to dispute the purchase. They may be able to help you with refunds or chargebacks.

While the online-shopping world can be a den of wonders, always be cautious and be sure to stay informed.
Key Takeaways
  • Bec Hardgrave, a shopper from Queensland, thought she found the perfect coffee table online but received a miniature version instead.
  • The online furniture retailer offered a 10 per cent refund of the item price as compensation, suggesting she sell the tiny table online or give it to friends or family.
  • Bec's video sharing her experience has received more than 260,000 views, with viewers offering support and advice on handling the situation.
  • Many viewers urged her to contact her bank to dispute the online purchase, as it might be considered fraud due to the discrepancy between the ordered item and the received item.
And remember, sometimes a bad purchase can end up being an excellent conversation starter for your loved ones. Happy shopping, folks!

Reactions: Freeby60
Sponsored
That’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen. It’s like the one my kid made me at school. No offence to my son. I could have sent you a freebie, because the tip would not take it. True.

Reactions: Pink lion
I remember they had a run of these scams years ago.
They would take photographs of miniature furniture, made for high quality dolls houses and sell them as being full size and the American Govt couldn't touch them.

I had a mate who was conned with an infallible rodent killer. It ended up being a very tiny piece of cheese in a packet and a teeny tiny hammer complete with instructions. 'Place cheese strike rodent hard on head with hammer.' We all thought it was hilarious.
The best scam ever however, as it did not prey on people, and was actually very clever, was the five large incredibly heavy professionally made stainless steel boxes that appeared in American shopping centers, with a very professional sign attached which read.

HOW GULLIBLE ARE YOU? Insert $5.00 in slit to find out.

Over 200,00 complaints were received that identified to authorities that something was amiss, however the boxes soon mysteriously disappeared, the same as they had appeared.

This is the only one that was ever considered funny.

I've written about another scam by a Chinese electrical goods supplier - see it in the Scams thread on the SDC site. I saw the ad for a Warmool heater here in SDC articles, (the heater comes in blue & white & up to yesterday, the ads were still in SDC articles). I paid for it & received it promptly, & began using it. However, when I read the small print in the warranty, there was the following sentence: This product is only suitable for consumption in Chinese mainland. This was not mentioned AT ALL in the advertising, only in the warranty small print after purchasing the heater. What was mentioned in the ads on their own website was that the heater was 'Designed to fight Swedish hard winters and low temperatures' ie implying it was invented & made in Sweden. So now, if anything goes wrong with the heater, I can't return it or get the company to fix it since it's only meant to be used in China. THIS IS FALSE ADVERTISING - CAN SDC FOLLOW THIS UP WITH THE ACCC or the appropriate authority, especially since SDC were lied to by the company to falsely advertise on this site?

If I order a product online . I always check the measurements carefully .
They always make it look better on the pictures .

Why didn't she ask for the measurements before placing the order? This is a basic online shopping mistake, especially for furniture. But $400 for that table/cheeseboard made in China? She seems to have left her commonsense behind!

Reactions: Argie and Pink lion
You should always use PayPal when purchasing online because if its dodgy they will refund you and wipe the supplier.
Not so - I opened a dispute with PayPal after I was scammed and the item received was nothing like what I had paid for, and they did nothing. Seems if the seller offers a refund on return of item ( at your great expense, and usually to China), they won’t even get involved.
PayPal is as much help in these cases as tits on a bull 🙄

We’ve all been there - you buy something online after carefully researching it and choosing the perfect one, only to be faced with a huge disappointment when you actually receive it.

This was exactly the case for Aussie shopper Bec Hardgrave, who recently found herself in a situation that has left many of us shocked and amused.

Recently, Bec found herself in an online-shopping disaster, complete with a 'coffee table' she purchased that's better suited as a cheeseboard. Yes, you read that right.

Bec detailed her misadventure on social media, explaining how she thought she had snagged the perfect white cloud-shaped coffee table, measuring 110cm wide, for her new apartment. Bec paid a handsome $400 for the table, but when it arrived, she was gobsmacked.

View attachment 20595

The table was nothing like how it was advertised. Instead of a trendy, spacious coffee table, she received a miniature version of it.

Not losing her sense of humour, Bec dubbed her new table as meant for the 'seven f****** dwarfs'.

‘So, I recently just moved, and I wanted to buy some furniture for our new apartment, so I went online, I found what was labelled a “coffee table’”,’ Bec said in the clip.

‘I’m going to show you what came in the mail...Guys, this is a cheeseboard with legs. Are you actually kidding me?’

View attachment 20596

Bec, alongside her disbelief, shared a video showcasing the laughable size of the 'coffee table' compared to a regular-sized dinner plate. Feeling the need to warn other potential victims, she aired out the entire saga.

‘So, I decided to email them, telling them the item that arrived is nothing like the pictures,’ she explained.

To her amazement, the retailer responded with what can only be described as 'a bizarre response’.

‘Our return policy means you need to return the item back to us first. When we receive it and confirm there is no man-made damage, we will refund you minus the shipping fee. That’s how it works. Hope you understand,’ it continued.

They advised Bec to return the item to their Foshan, China address, and once they confirmed no man-made damage existed, they would refund her — minus the shipping fee.

The company even said they were willing to provide a 10 per cent refund as compensation before urging Bec to consider selling the table in an online marketplace or gifting it to friends and family instead.

Left baffled, Bec decided to inquire about the shipping quote to return her unfortunate purchase, and she was hit with a staggering $800 shipping fee! Considering the original cost of the table was only $400, she found herself trapped in a dilemma.

‘Obviously, I wasn’t willing to pay that much. So, I guess I’m stuck with this item,’ she said in the video.

Although frustrated and disappointed, Bec managed to see the humorous side and shared her experience on social media, which has now been viewed over 260,000 times.

Fellow users chimed in with their thoughts on how she could make the best of her new conversation piece.

‘Okay, but if anything comes from this, you got an elevated cheeseboard now,’ one said.

‘You have to keep it! That’s just the best conversation starter,’ another suggested.

Meanwhile, many still urged Bec to contact her bank to dispute the online purchase.

‘My mum had a similar thing happen, and the bank reversed it as a fraud charge as they charged her for something different than what she received,’ one shared.

If you ever find yourself in a situation like Bec's, don't hesitate to reach out to your bank to dispute the purchase. They may be able to help you with refunds or chargebacks.

While the online-shopping world can be a den of wonders, always be cautious and be sure to stay informed.
Key Takeaways

• Bec Hardgrave, a shopper from Queensland, thought she found the perfect coffee table online but received a miniature version instead.
  • The online furniture retailer offered a 10 per cent refund of the item price as compensation, suggesting she sell the tiny table online or give it to friends or family.
  • Bec's video sharing her experience has received more than 260,000 views, with viewers offering support and advice on handling the situation.
  • Many viewers urged her to contact her bank to dispute the online purchase, as it might be considered fraud due to the discrepancy between the ordered item and the received item.
And remember, sometimes a bad purchase can end up being an excellent conversation starter for your loved ones. Happy shopping, folks!

I have been done by asian scammers a couple of times where the goods recieved are totally different to what was ordered and paid for. to return the wrong item generally costs more that the item. I ONLY use Paypal and it says a lot for the sellers when thy cannot offer this servive.
I have complained to facebook a number of times because they support these scammers. but hey money money

View attachment 20595

View attachment 20596

Key Takeaways

I have learned the hard way, only buy if the company takes PayPal at least they will act for you.