You won't believe these eight bizarre habits Aussies have when shopping at supermarkets

Ah, supermarkets – We love to hate them, but the reality is we need them. Most of us frequent the aisles at least once a week, and it’s fair to say we’ve all got a few habits we can’t shake when doing the groceries.

1682915284569.png
Is it okay to sniff your fresh produce before you buy them? Image source: Shutterstock.

From wearing pyjamas and going shoeless to fondling the fruit and eating before buying, let’s face it, some of us Aussies can be a bit daggy. However, we must admit that it is only human. I mean – who among us hasn’t done something a little strange at the checkout? I know I sure have.

In this article, we’ll explore some of the strangest and most surprising habits Australians have when it comes to the weekly grocery shop…

1. Going shoeless

If you’ve ever arrived at the supermarket barefoot, don’t worry, you’re in good company! It might not be the most appropriate choice for a public shopping outing, but for some of us, it can be awfully tempting to leave the shoes at home. However, we must say that if you are one of the many Aussies who choose to do their weekly grocery shop shoeless, maybe just make sure your feet are, eh, well-maintained.

2. Kissing at the supermarket

Look, we’ve all had those relationships where you just can’t keep your hands off each other, right? I can’t say I’ve been there for a long time, but you know, young people need to grocery shop too! But unfortunately, that kind of behaviour obviously doesn’t belong in the supermarket. Not only will you make other shoppers feel awkward and uncomfortable, but you’re also wasting precious time when most of us simply want to grab what we need and go!

3. Fondling the fruit

You have to check your fruit and vegetables before buying them, but how many ‘squeezes’ are really necessary? Any more than a couple of tests and you run the risk of pushing fellow shoppers over the edge. Also, is it okay to sniff the fruit or vegetables before buying? We know some people do, but most of us here at the SDC tend to avoid it (especially since COVID-19). We’d love to hear your thoughts on whether it is or isn’t okay to sniff your fresh produce before buying it.

4. Snagging the milk to get the best expiry date

Honestly, I’ll be the first to admit I am a bit biased here, so maybe I shouldn’t be writing this article 😉, but I don’t think this is daggy at all! If you find yourself fumbling through the back of the milk shelves in search of the latest expiry date, then you’re probably – unintentionally – annoying everyone else around you trying to get some milk, but hey, at least your milk will last longer than everyone else's and you’re grabbing a bargain because it’s bound to last longer.

5. Wearing your pyjamas to the supermarket

I, of all people, understand what a chore grocery shopping can be. I can also see that it may feel good to drift through the aisles wearing your bedtime finery, but in reality, you’re probably making those around you a little nervous and uncomfortable. I mean, is it that hard to put on at least some trackies before heading to the supermarket? Although, maybe some of you share a different opinion. Is it okay to wear your pyjamas to the supermarket?

6. People who start eating before buying

We wrote about this not too long ago, when an ALDI worker complained about customers eating their groceries before buying them. I must admit, I share the same opinion that many of you shared and that is that eating anything at the supermarket before buying it isn’t okay - unless of course, you’re tasting a few grapes to check if they are okay to buy. But anything else, I find bizarre. But maybe you don’t. Is eating your grocery before you buy them acceptable?

7. Sampling too many grapes from the prepacked bags

Okay, like I said above, it’s completely acceptable to try a few grapes. But really, there is no need to try more than a handful, maybe four grapes maximum. However, there are always cheeky Aussies that completely over-sample by snacking on the grapes while they shop. I’d love to hear your take on this habit, members, simply because I tend to disagree with it… But maybe you think it’s completely acceptable?

8. Putting stuff back on the wrong shelves

Okay, members, I’m always honest with you, so I’ll be the first to admit, I’ve done this on a handful of occasions when I’ve been in a rush. I mean, haven’t we all done it? It’s understandable, but that doesn’t make it right. If we all make the effort to return items to the right shelf, then everyone else’s shopping experience can be more enjoyable. It’s the least we can do! But, maybe you disagree? Maybe you think it’s okay to leave whatever it is you’ve decided not to buy somewhere else in the store? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this controversial topic!

Key Takeaways
  • Australians have shared their most daggy supermarket behaviours and experiences.
  • Common issues include not wearing shoes, kissing, fondling fruit, and snagging milk with the best expiry date.
  • Other behaviours mentioned were not knowing how to handle a trolley, wearing pyjamas, eating before buying, and putting items back on the wrong shelves.
  • These behaviours, while not criminal, can make the shopping experience uncomfortable or inconvenient for fellow shoppers.

So, there you have it, members. These are eight unique habits some of us have (or have seen) when shopping at the supermarket. While it’s undeniable some of us can be a bit daggy in the weekly shop, let’s continue to keep it respectful in the aisles – you never know who you’re going to bump into!

Sponsored
Sorry, but some avocados have softer spots on them than that fruit has on the other side/s. You often find all kinds of fruit & veg in Coles and Woolworths that have been placed ‘bad side down’ in the trays for sale. I do inspect my fruit and vegetables to make sure there are no bad spots. However, I do not sniff them - but then, to those who object to this practice being done by others, don’t you ALWAYS wash your fruit and veg before consuming them? I always wash mine so I can’t see the objection; and it’s not because someone may have sniffed it - more because someone’s grubby hands have ‘touched’ it, including those that pick and process the product before it arrives at the supermarket to again be touched by those arranging them there.

I get annoyed at people eating half the grapes before reaching the checkout. I mentioned this fact to a friend just recently because that’s what she was doing and told her it was actually shoplifting. Not sure if that sunk in or no. 😕

Shoes - I have always hated shoes. On the farm I walked barefoot through the frost. My father bought me gum boots and all sorts but still wouldn’t wear them. Worst was crossing bitumen roads in summer and the melted tar would stick to my feet and burn. Couldn’t drive with shoes and at 75 still can’t. Most embarrassing was driving 100 kms to the solicitors and found I didn’t have any shoes. I now keep thongs in the cars and caravan.

Ah, supermarkets – We love to hate them, but the reality is we need them. Most of us frequent the aisles at least once a week, and it’s fair to say we’ve all got a few habits we can’t shake when doing the groceries.

View attachment 18801
Is it okay to sniff your fresh produce before you buy them? Image source: Shutterstock.

From wearing pyjamas and going shoeless to fondling the fruit and eating before buying, let’s face it, some of us Aussies can be a bit daggy. However, we must admit that it is only human. I mean – who among us hasn’t done something a little strange at the checkout? I know I sure have.

In this article, we’ll explore some of the strangest and most surprising habits Australians have when it comes to the weekly grocery shop…

1. Going shoeless

If you’ve ever arrived at the supermarket barefoot, don’t worry, you’re in good company! It might not be the most appropriate choice for a public shopping outing, but for some of us, it can be awfully tempting to leave the shoes at home. However, we must say that if you are one of the many Aussies who choose to do their weekly grocery shop shoeless, maybe just make sure your feet are, eh, well-maintained.

Look, we’ve all had those relationships where you just can’t keep your hands off each other, right? I can’t say I’ve been there for a long time, but you know, young people need to grocery shop too! But unfortunately, that kind of behaviour obviously doesn’t belong in the supermarket. Not only will you make other shoppers feel awkward and uncomfortable, but you’re also wasting precious time when most of us simply want to grab what we need and go!

3. Fondling the fruit

You have to check your fruit and vegetables before buying them, but how many ‘squeezes’ are really necessary? Any more than a couple of tests and you run the risk of pushing fellow shoppers over the edge. Also, is it okay to sniff the fruit or vegetables before buying? We know some people do, but most of us here at the SDC tend to avoid it (especially since COVID-19). We’d love to hear your thoughts on whether it is or isn’t okay to sniff your fresh produce before buying it.

Honestly, I’ll be the first to admit I am a bit biased here, so maybe I shouldn’t be writing this article 😉, but I don’t think this is daggy at all! If you find yourself fumbling through the back of the milk shelves in search of the latest expiry date, then you’re probably – unintentionally – annoying everyone else around you trying to get some milk, but hey, at least your milk will last longer than everyone else's and you’re grabbing a bargain because it’s bound to last longer.

I, of all people, understand what a chore grocery shopping can be. I can also see that it may feel good to drift through the aisles wearing your bedtime finery, but in reality, you’re probably making those around you a little nervous and uncomfortable. I mean, is it that hard to put on at least some trackies before heading to the supermarket? Although, maybe some of you share a different opinion. Is it okay to wear your pyjamas to the supermarket?

We wrote about this not too long ago, when an ALDI worker complained about customers eating their groceries before buying them. I must admit, I share the same opinion that many of you shared and that is that eating anything at the supermarket before buying it isn’t okay - unless of course, you’re tasting a few grapes to check if they are okay to buy. But anything else, I find bizarre. But maybe you don’t. Is eating your grocery before you buy them acceptable?

Okay, like I said above, it’s completely acceptable to try a few grapes. But really, there is no need to try more than a handful, maybe four grapes maximum. However, there are always cheeky Aussies that completely over-sample by snacking on the grapes while they shop. I’d love to hear your take on this habit, members, simply because I tend to disagree with it… But maybe you think it’s completely acceptable?

Okay, members, I’m always honest with you, so I’ll be the first to admit, I’ve done this on a handful of occasions when I’ve been in a rush. I mean, haven’t we all done it? It’s understandable, but that doesn’t make it right. If we all make the effort to return items to the right shelf, then everyone else’s shopping experience can be more enjoyable. It’s the least we can do! But, maybe you disagree? Maybe you think it’s okay to leave whatever it is you’ve decided not to buy somewhere else in the store? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this controversial topic!

Key Takeaways

• Australians have shared their most daggy supermarket behaviours and experiences.
  • Common issues include not wearing shoes, kissing, fondling fruit, and snagging milk with the best expiry date.
  • Other behaviours mentioned were not knowing how to handle a trolley, wearing pyjamas, eating before buying, and putting items back on the wrong shelves.
  • These behaviours, while not criminal, can make the shopping experience uncomfortable or inconvenient for fellow shoppers.

So, there you have it, members. These are eight unique habits some of us have (or have seen) when shopping at the supermarket. While it’s undeniable some of us can be a bit daggy in the weekly shop, let’s continue to keep it respectful in the aisles – you never know who you’re going to bump into!

Wearing no shoes at a supermarket, or any public shopping centre or place, is a Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) issue and should be outlawed. As soon as the customer steps on something, slips or otherwise injures themselves, they'll blame the shops and will no doubt sue the retailer, with the help of an enthusiastic lawyer.

If you don't want an item, don't be so lazy and selfish, put it back in the proper place....or at least leave it at the counter for it to be returned properly.

View attachment 18801

1. Going shoeless

3. Fondling the fruit

Key Takeaways

aussies a bit daggy!!!! no there is no need to sniff produce. i say keep your bloody nose out of it,

Shoes - I have always hated shoes. On the farm I walked barefoot through the frost. My father bought me gum boots and all sorts but still wouldn’t wear them. Worst was crossing bitumen roads in summer and the melted tar would stick to my feet and burn. Couldn’t drive with shoes and at 75 still can’t. Most embarrassing was driving 100 kms to the solicitors and found I didn’t have any shoes. I now keep thongs in the cars and caravan.
melted tar. I find that a bit too hot to believe.

Out of the 8 things mentioned testing the avocado by gently pressing the top is what I do, I have also tasted one grape I don't need a handful to tell me if they are sweet enough to eat. The rest that seems like a normal thing to do these days by many people. As long as they don't stop me from doing my shopping at my pace, then that is cool.

I do 'feel' some fruit and veg for softness, but dont usually eat the grapes. They are all from the same delivery, usually, and therefore whichever bag of grapes you choose will be similar. I think you can often tell by looking at the produce. And my biggest source of annoyance about people is eating your purchases before you get to the register. And the absolute worst behaviour is leaving goods all over the store, in the wrong place. Just take it to the register with you.

Squeezing those avocado's ....... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑
I'm sick of taking an avocardo home, not ready to eat but when I do get it out there are the bruises after someone has been looking for an avocardo to eat immediately. Buy a few days in advance, refrigerate if necessary, and then give it a day or two to ripen to the softness desired.

Reactions: Gsr, Macarj and RTS
Squeezing those avocado's ....... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑
Totally agree. Folks, please don't squeeze the avocadoes because it causes brown spots on the flesh. Just take the avocado home, put it in a brown paper bag with a banana, close the bag and leave it overnight at room temperature. The next day, Voila! A delicious ripe avocado :)

Reactions: Gsr and Reaper123
I don’t eat them, but my husband does so we check the ripeness, but we don’t squeeze overly hard