You won’t believe what my neighbor did—Is this shocking ‘unAustralian’ act becoming the new normal?

In the land of mateship and community spirit, there's an unspoken code that Aussies live by, one that champions the 'fair go' and looking out for your neighbour. But it seems that the tides may be changing in our suburbs, as a recent kerfuffle over a lawn mowing incident has sparked a fiery debate across the nation. Is the age-old Australian camaraderie fading, or are we simply adapting to a new era of neighbourly etiquette?

The controversy began when a passerby snapped a photo of a median strip on their street and posted it to Reddit. The image showed a stark contrast: one half of the lawn was neatly trimmed, while the adjacent section—belonging to the next-door neighbour—remained overgrown. The original poster branded this selective mowing as the 'ultimate unAustralian act', but the response from the online community was anything but unanimous.

compressed-mower.jpeg
A social media user shared his encounter of a mowed lawn, with some unmowed parts. Image Credit: Reddit/chill677

Many rallied to the defence of the homeowner, arguing that in today's fast-paced world, it's not a resident's duty to maintain the patch of grass outside someone else's property. With the rise of dual-income households, longer working hours, and the hustle and bustle of modern life, some say it's enough to keep your own slice of green in check without taking on extra chores.

On the flip side, there are those who view the act of mowing only your portion of the lawn as the height of rudeness—a departure from the neighbourly goodwill that has long been a hallmark of Australian culture. They reminisce about times when neighbours would not only mow the entire stretch of grass but also lend a helping hand with other outdoor tasks, fostering a sense of community and shared responsibility.

The debate doesn't stop at the edge of the lawn, either. Last month, Aussie mum Brooke Bliss confessed to a related neighbourhood no-no: sneaking excess rubbish into her neighbours' bins on collection night. With a family of five and bins that fill up too quickly, she waits for the cover of darkness to distribute her overflow. This revelation has added fuel to the fire, with some calling it practical and others decrying it as impolite.

So, what's the verdict? Is it 'unAustralian' to mow only your side of the lawn or to use a neighbour's bin in a pinch? Or are these acts simply reflective of a changing society where the old rules of neighbourly conduct are being rewritten?

At the Seniors Discount Club, we understand that times are changing, and with them, so too must our social norms. However, we also believe in the importance of community and the value of a friendly wave across the fence. Whether you're the type to mow the whole median strip or stick to your own patch, perhaps the most 'Australian' thing we can do is communicate with our neighbours. A simple conversation about shared spaces and responsibilities might just be the key to maintaining harmony on our streets.

Key Takeaways

• Australians are divided on whether it's considered 'unAustralian' to mow only your portion of the lawn on the median strip without doing the same for your neighbour's side.
  • A photograph illustrating this scenario was shared on Reddit, sparking a debate among users about community responsibility and etiquette.
  • Some argue that it's not a homeowner's job to maintain the lawn in front of a neighbouring property, while others believe it's rude and lazy not to help out.
  • Opinions differ on the matter, with some Australians taking pride in assisting their neighbours with such tasks, while others prefer to stick to their own property or reject the notion of doing unpaid work for the benefit of a building company.

We'd love to hear from you, our wise members, about your experiences and opinions on this topic. Have you encountered similar situations in your neighbourhood? Do you think these acts are 'unAustralian', or just a sign of the times? Share your stories and thoughts in the comments below, and let's navigate the evolving landscape of neighbourly etiquette together.

Sponsored
You are dead right about the little effort needed to finish the entire lawn...however if the neighbours don't get on you could expect this sort of thing to happen...having good neighbours is a blessing really for many reasons...but it can also be unpleasant sometimes as well, or not even having any sort of interaction at all between the parties concerned. Sort of reminds me of an old comment that I heard years ago....You can pick your friends but you can't pick your neighbours.

Maybe the person who mows the lawn is being paid to do so. I am allergic to grass clippings, so I can't mow myself.

My gardener won't touch anything on the neighbours property. He legally cannot, unless the neighbour asks him to.

If he or his employees are injured, or cause damage, whilst mowing a property they are not contracted to work on his insurance will not pay anything.

Strictly, the nature strip is Council property, but good luck getting them out to do it. We used to have Brisbane City Council lawnmowing operators attend twice a year (whether or not it was Wet season!), as well as twice-yearly Ratcatcher inspections complete with their teams of jack Russell Terriers back in the 70s but I believe all that has gone by the wayside now. Where I currently live, we even have large tufts of grass and weeds growing out through cracks in the bitumen and gutters.... don't get me started on that!

Maybe the person who mows the lawn is being paid to do so. I am allergic to grass clippings, so I can't mow myself.

My gardener won't touch anything on the neighbours property. He legally cannot, unless the neighbour asks him to.

If he or his employees are injured, or cause damage, whilst mowing a property they are not contracted to work on his insurance will not pay anything.

Reactions: Iggydi
That is what happened to us. We hired a lawn man and he would not cross the property line. We were very good friends with our neighbour, and suggested that he hire the same guy so not to have the problem. However he had a friends son do his so the problem remained.

There is a patch of grass between two properties in our street approx 50cm wide which is never mowed & the grass keeps growing, approx 15cm high now. This grass l believe are runners from the bigger area. The neighbours l am sure get along but, as already stated, make the larger lawn area look unattractive. Even a whippersnip would fix this problem. But not my problem. I speak to both property owners, pleasant people.

Reminds me of the Unions who used to say someone cannot do a job, which leads on from what you are already doing BECAUSE OF DEMARCATION. I would be taking work from someone else, even if that extra bit took just five minutes to do.

Our council in frankston doesn’t mow ours the body corporate pays the lawn mower man to do it every 4 weeks when he does the units.Some peoples lawns in the street look like a scruffy dogs tail shocking absolutely shocking🤣

Strictly, the nature strip is Council property, but good luck getting them out to do it. We used to have Brisbane City Council lawnmowing operators attend twice a year (whether or not it was Wet season!), as well as twice-yearly Ratcatcher inspections complete with their teams of jack Russell Terriers back in the 70s but I believe all that has gone by the wayside now. Where I currently live, we even have large tufts of grass and weeds growing out through cracks in the bitumen and gutters.... don't get me started on that!
It is now in so many towns. I have recently travelled for Mackay to Grafton, NSW In both towns, going down hill, with grass growing in gutters etc. Small towns, Gin Gin, I often stop overnight and walk. Clean and tidy. Even when I venture off the main road. I haven`t been along the Brisbane Highway for a while, but Esk was another town, Lovely, tidy and clean.