You won’t believe what my neighbor did—Is this shocking ‘unAustralian’ act becoming the new normal?

In the land of mateship and community spirit, there's an unspoken code that Aussies live by, one that champions the 'fair go' and looking out for your neighbour. But it seems that the tides may be changing in our suburbs, as a recent kerfuffle over a lawn mowing incident has sparked a fiery debate across the nation. Is the age-old Australian camaraderie fading, or are we simply adapting to a new era of neighbourly etiquette?

The controversy began when a passerby snapped a photo of a median strip on their street and posted it to Reddit. The image showed a stark contrast: one half of the lawn was neatly trimmed, while the adjacent section—belonging to the next-door neighbour—remained overgrown. The original poster branded this selective mowing as the 'ultimate unAustralian act', but the response from the online community was anything but unanimous.

compressed-mower.jpeg
A social media user shared his encounter of a mowed lawn, with some unmowed parts. Image Credit: Reddit/chill677

Many rallied to the defence of the homeowner, arguing that in today's fast-paced world, it's not a resident's duty to maintain the patch of grass outside someone else's property. With the rise of dual-income households, longer working hours, and the hustle and bustle of modern life, some say it's enough to keep your own slice of green in check without taking on extra chores.

On the flip side, there are those who view the act of mowing only your portion of the lawn as the height of rudeness—a departure from the neighbourly goodwill that has long been a hallmark of Australian culture. They reminisce about times when neighbours would not only mow the entire stretch of grass but also lend a helping hand with other outdoor tasks, fostering a sense of community and shared responsibility.

The debate doesn't stop at the edge of the lawn, either. Last month, Aussie mum Brooke Bliss confessed to a related neighbourhood no-no: sneaking excess rubbish into her neighbours' bins on collection night. With a family of five and bins that fill up too quickly, she waits for the cover of darkness to distribute her overflow. This revelation has added fuel to the fire, with some calling it practical and others decrying it as impolite.

So, what's the verdict? Is it 'unAustralian' to mow only your side of the lawn or to use a neighbour's bin in a pinch? Or are these acts simply reflective of a changing society where the old rules of neighbourly conduct are being rewritten?

At the Seniors Discount Club, we understand that times are changing, and with them, so too must our social norms. However, we also believe in the importance of community and the value of a friendly wave across the fence. Whether you're the type to mow the whole median strip or stick to your own patch, perhaps the most 'Australian' thing we can do is communicate with our neighbours. A simple conversation about shared spaces and responsibilities might just be the key to maintaining harmony on our streets.

Key Takeaways

• Australians are divided on whether it's considered 'unAustralian' to mow only your portion of the lawn on the median strip without doing the same for your neighbour's side.
  • A photograph illustrating this scenario was shared on Reddit, sparking a debate among users about community responsibility and etiquette.
  • Some argue that it's not a homeowner's job to maintain the lawn in front of a neighbouring property, while others believe it's rude and lazy not to help out.
  • Opinions differ on the matter, with some Australians taking pride in assisting their neighbours with such tasks, while others prefer to stick to their own property or reject the notion of doing unpaid work for the benefit of a building company.

We'd love to hear from you, our wise members, about your experiences and opinions on this topic. Have you encountered similar situations in your neighbourhood? Do you think these acts are 'unAustralian', or just a sign of the times? Share your stories and thoughts in the comments below, and let's navigate the evolving landscape of neighbourly etiquette together.

Sponsored
the neighbours before the newbies who have moved it, mowed our little bit on their side of our driveway, and if they were not home I would put the rubbish bin in for them, I did it for my other neighbours too until I hurt my knee and I find managing the steep driveways including mine quite painful BUT as soon as it's ok I will do the same again, I might add that they don't know who does it, I am not after recognition, it's my way of doing something for someone else, think lots more people could do little things, not for a thank you but just to be a better person

I also would be a bit reluctant to mow someone else's property without being really sure it's welcomed. I have mowed my neighbour's frontage at a time when I knew he struggling healthwise without issue but I did know it was ok to do so.

The photo looks like a grassed verge of the footpath to me & not a median strip. I thought median strips were part of the middle of a roadway where provided.

Reactions: Iggydi
The photo looks like a grassed verge of the footpath to me & not a median strip. I thought median strips were part of the middle of a roadway where provided.

Case of the zactlys. Well spotted.
💯% not a median strip. Some call it a nature strip or a grass strip. Most call it a verge.

When we first moved here two years ago , my husband only mowed the nature strip up to the end of our property. I said that looks very petty and he agreed so now he mows to the start of next doors driveway. In two years I have never spoke more that two words to them. They seem very private people, just driving their car straight into the garage and not outside very much. I respect that’s the way it is.

The council decided to do some alterations and left a lot of patches of gravel, some big, some small in the lawn in front of our house. I picked up some of it, then decided the council could come and clean it up as there was a lot in the gutter too. If they cut the lawn they were going to charge my Mum for it or they would put dolomite there. Mum gave them the option of cutting it free of charge or Dolomite. Those chose to put dolomite there. A neighbour had mowed a piece between our gates. The mower threw up gravel. It travelled a fair distance and broke a visitor's car window parked the other side of our driveway. It was an older house that had a fence before my parents bought it. The houses in the area had identical fences as they were built by the same builders

• Wow
Don't like my neighbours which consist of husband, wife, teenage son & daughter so there is no way I would mow their footpath for them. They have a perfectly good working lawn mower therefore one of their household members can do their own nature strip.

• Wow
Don't like my neighbours which consist of husband, wife, teenage son & daughter so there is no way I would mow their footpath for them. They have a perfectly good working lawn mower therefore one of their household members can do their own nature strip.
totally agree with you. this is a good one for the righteous person.

Bit silly not to go that extra length & mow the next door neighbours little bit of their footpath, makes your own look much better anyway & sour grapes not letting your neighbour put that little bit of extra garbage in your bin, providing it doesn't smell.

Bit silly not to go that extra length & mow the next door neighbours little bit of their footpath, makes your own look much better anyway & sour grapes not letting your neighbour put that little bit of extra garbage in your bin, providing it doesn't smell.
what is wrong with not doing the good neighbour act. People who take and do not give are to be ignored.