You might be wasting your money on heart health supplements, a new study suggests

We all want to do everything we can to protect our heart health, especially as we get older. However, a new study has suggested that some of the supplements people commonly take for this purpose may be ineffective – or worse, even harmful.

The study, which was presented at the American Heart Association, found that six popular supplements – fish oil, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, plant sterols and red yeast rice – did not lower 'bad' cholesterol or improve cardiovascular health in participants.

However, after only 28 days on the prescription statin (medication), the average patient saw a 38 per cent reduction in their LDL cholesterol levels (also known as 'bad' cholesterol).

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 3.15.10 PM.png
Researchers saw no cholesterol-lowering benefit in the six dietary supplements. Credit: Shutterstock.

For the trial, over a hundred adults with no prior history of cardiovascular disease took either a low dose of rosuvastatin (a type of statin), a placebo drug or one of the aforementioned supplements for 28 days.

When compared to those who took placebo drugs or supplements, participants taking rosuvastatin saw significant reductions in their LDL cholesterol levels after 28 days (39 per cent), total cholesterol (24 per cent) and blood triglyceride (19 per cent) levels.

On the other hand, there were no significant changes seen in any of these areas for those taking placebo drugs or supplements.

'Patients believe studies have been done on dietary supplements and that they are as effective as statins and can save them because they're natural,' said Dr Steven Nissen from Cleveland Clinic, a co-author of this study, regarding its findings.

'But natural doesn't mean safe or effective,' he went on to call these types of dietary supplements '21st-century snake oil' (a substance with no real medicinal value sold as a remedy for all diseases).
Key Takeaways

• Supplements advertised as being able to improve heart health, such as fish oil, cinnamon, garlic, turmeric, plant sterols, and red yeast rice, are not effective in lowering cholesterol.
  • Statins, on the other hand, are effective at lowering cholesterol levels and reducing the risk of heart disease.
  • People should focus on exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy diet rather than taking supplements to improve their heart health.

Members, if you're worried about your heart health in your golden years, it may be time to think twice before popping your daily vitamin pill.

Instead of relying on supplements that may do more harm than good, we recommend seeking professional advice on ways you can protect your heart health through diet and lifestyle changes.

Eating plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains, exercising regularly and not smoking are just some of the ways you can help keep your heart ticking along nicely. Do you have more to add to this list? Share it with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I take fish oil tablets for my joints and they work and when I stop taking them within a fews days the aches and pains are back So the take from all of this is, use whatever works for you. Experts are defined as: Ex - an unknown quantity an(d s)pert - is a drip under pressure.

It is my understanding that once you are past 50, the lower your cholesterol levels , the greater your chance of dying.
Well arent I in for a surprise, my cholesterol is kept at 3 or below so plaque does not build up in my veins across my heart (triple by-pass 12 years ago, hence no arteries across heart). I think you should rethink your understanding and leave it to the experts.

I once asked my GP if high cholesterol is cause or effect of CVD and he said he did not know. A GP online once explained to me that doctors have to act within guidelines set out by the AMA or they can be investigated.

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
I used to have very, very painful cramps in my lower legs. I was on Statins to maintain reasonable safe levels of cholesterol. Was suggested to go off the Statins as a trial and my cramps disappeared within weeks. I now just have regular blood test for cholesterol and have changed my diet.

I used to have very, very painful cramps in my lower legs. I was on Statins to maintain reasonable safe levels of cholesterol. Was suggested to go off the Statins as a trial and my cramps disappeared within weeks. I now just have regular blood test for cholesterol and have changed my diet.
Me too. I was in real trouble with my weak muscles and joint pain in my hips. Went off statins, pain and weakness gone, then retried 6 months later. Same thing happened. After 7 years of no problems on statins, these side effects happened. Now I do as you do and as well as diet, I exercise a lot more.

Thats great that works for you but if you are like me, I have an abnormal liver function that produces too much cholesterol so statins is the only way for me, diet does not work.

No two people are alike, what works for one might not necessarily work, or works differently for the other. Nothing medical should be undertaken without the knowledge and green light from your doctor. :)

Reactions: Defiant540 and Zoya
I tried statins and got pins and needles in my legs, actually only the needles.
I researched statins and found studies show they're harmful long-term.

We all want to do everything we can to protect our heart health, especially as we get older. However, a new study has suggested that some of the supplements people commonly take for this purpose may be ineffective – or worse, even harmful.

The study, which was presented at the American Heart Association, found that six popular supplements – fish oil, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, plant sterols and red yeast rice – did not lower 'bad' cholesterol or improve cardiovascular health in participants.

However, after only 28 days on the prescription statin (medication), the average patient saw a 38 per cent reduction in their LDL cholesterol levels (also known as 'bad' cholesterol).

View attachment 8623
Researchers saw no cholesterol-lowering benefit in the six dietary supplements. Credit: Shutterstock.

For the trial, over a hundred adults with no prior history of cardiovascular disease took either a low dose of rosuvastatin (a type of statin), a placebo drug or one of the aforementioned supplements for 28 days.

When compared to those who took placebo drugs or supplements, participants taking rosuvastatin saw significant reductions in their LDL cholesterol levels after 28 days (39 per cent), total cholesterol (24 per cent) and blood triglyceride (19 per cent) levels.

On the other hand, there were no significant changes seen in any of these areas for those taking placebo drugs or supplements.

'Patients believe studies have been done on dietary supplements and that they are as effective as statins and can save them because they're natural,' said Dr Steven Nissen from Cleveland Clinic, a co-author of this study, regarding its findings.

'But natural doesn't mean safe or effective,' he went on to call these types of dietary supplements '21st-century snake oil' (a substance with no real medicinal value sold as a remedy for all diseases).
Key Takeaways

• Supplements advertised as being able to improve heart health, such as fish oil, cinnamon, garlic, turmeric, plant sterols, and red yeast rice, are not effective in lowering cholesterol.
  • Statins, on the other hand, are effective at lowering cholesterol levels and reducing the risk of heart disease.
  • People should focus on exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy diet rather than taking supplements to improve their heart health.

Members, if you're worried about your heart health in your golden years, it may be time to think twice before popping your daily vitamin pill.

Instead of relying on supplements that may do more harm than good, we recommend seeking professional advice on ways you can protect your heart health through diet and lifestyle changes.

Eating plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains, exercising regularly and not smoking are just some of the ways you can help keep your heart ticking along nicely. Do you have more to add to this list? Share it with us in the comments below!

I'm not a medical expert but I read about statins being effective in lowering cholesterol because they block the body's natural way of producing cholesterol - hence, lowering production.
While the effect may be great and immediate, I'm more concerned about the side effects

On the other hand, if I can have sufficient minerals and vitamins in my diet, I won't use supplements.
Supplements to me are providing the added nutrients that daily diet did not provide sufficiently.
For the supplements to benefit health, it takes time. Time for your body to adjust to a better level of nutrients (not only from food but from other sources).

View attachment 8623

Key Takeaways

will not be trusting this report one iota as it really looks like it was organised or even done by big pharma and of course they want to KEEP SELLING you the unhealthy statin crap..... but those who want to believe the BS go for it and remember to keep wearing you masks as they dont work either, Believe It Or Not

• Wow
High cholesterol kills. No fancy words, it kills and I am living proof of that. Anti statin people have been around since they first come out and are no better than anti vaxers.
There is a FB group called Skeptics in Australia where I am sure you would find many a kindred spirit.

High cholesterol kills. No fancy words, it kills and I am living proof of that. Anti statin people have been around since they first come out and are no better than anti vaxers.

I have an idea. Since Malcolm Kendrick is a medical board certified doctor, why don't you make a complaint to the UK medical board as you think he has written such a dangerous article? It would be interesting to see how it pans out.