You can’t miss this Aussie on the road with his ‘funny’ number plates!

In The Land Down Under, where the spirit of mateship and a fair go are as iconic as the Sydney Opera House, many Aussies take pride in their quirks.

One Perth local, however, has taken the quintessential Aussie greeting to a whole new level.

Meet Wayne, a 72-year-old Perth man with a penchant for travel, and a knack for humour.

He's the proud owner of a ute and camper trailer combo that's turning heads and sparking conversations wherever he roams.

His 'clever idea' was simple yet brilliant: to pair his vehicles with personalised number plates that capture the essence of Australian camaraderie.

The back of his camper trailer sports the plate 'CEEEYAH', a playful take on the classic Aussie farewell.

Wayne didn't stop there.

After purchasing a new ute, he completed the set with a welcoming message at the front.

The result? A number plate that reads 'GID AYE,' a phonetic representation of the friendly greeting 'G'day.’

compressed-pexels-engin-akyurt-3927311.jpeg
If you come across a camper trailer with a rather ‘unique’ number plate around Perth, greet them with a ‘G’day, mate!’ Image Credit: Pexels/Engin Akyurt

'I had a small camper trailer and I ended up thinking I might put a personalised plate on there. Then when I bought the Subaru Forester and the bigger camper trailer I changed the other number plate over too,' Wayne said.

'A plate with 'GID AYE' on it is very Aussie and in the end I thought, “Hey, that would match the one on the back of the camper.”'

Each custom plate costs $750, bringing the total to $1,500 for two—a small price to pay for the joy and connection they bring.

Wayne enjoys travelling, and his number plates serve as icebreakers that invite a moment of laughter and a sense of community.

'I go into the caravan parks and people quite often remark, “Oh, I like your G'day number plate” and I say, “Have a look at the matching one on the back of the camper,”' he recounted.

‘They're always pretty impressed.’

This isn't the first time Aussie drivers have used their number plates to express a bit of personality or humour.

Another Western Australian driver made waves online with a plate that read '1H8EPPL', an amusing and ‘relatable’ statement.

Another number plate wrote '370HSSV' on a Kia Sportage, which reveals a 'naughty' message when viewed upside down, much to the delight of eagle-eyed motorists.

Personalised number plates are a unique way to showcase individuality, humour, and even values.

They can reflect their identity, a favourite saying, or, in Wayne's case, a tribute to the laid-back Aussie culture.
Key Takeaways

• A Perth man named Wayne personalised his ute and camper trailer with Australian slang number plates, 'GID AYE' and 'CEEEYAH.'
  • These humorous number plates have been putting smiles on people's faces and often start conversations with strangers.
  • The number plates for both the ute and camper trailer cost Wayne a total of $1,500.
  • Other custom number plates with unique messages or hidden meanings have been spotted and shared online.
Have you ever considered personalising your number plate? Perhaps you have seen one that made you chuckle or nod in agreement? We would love to hear about it in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
I heard that a guy managed to get "6UL DV8" number plates a few years ago, but that could be an urban myth.