Would you pay this much? Sydney café sparks fury with its outrageous price for takeaway banana bread!

The cost of living in Australia is indeed getting more and more expensive, and dining out hasn't gotten much easier either.

The price of a simple banana bread, which used to just cost a couple of dollars at most, costs an incredible amount at one café.

A social media user posted a photograph of the menu at an unnamed café and received many horrified responses.

SDC Images (20).png
Takeaway banana bread was reportedly priced an incredible amount at an unnamed café. Image source: wirestock on Freepik.

According to the menu, the café charges a whopping $18 for a takeaway banana bread—around the same price you'd pay for a substantial meal at a decent restaurant.

'Surely $18 for takeaway banana bread is taking the p**s now,' the user wrote.

Hundreds commented and shared their opinions on the price.

'That’s the highest I’ve seen,' one said.

SDC 8.png
Banana bread costs $18 at this certain café in Sydney. Image source: Reddit.

Others could not help but notice the price of other items on the menu.

'I’m just fixated on the avocado toast for $25!' One commented.

'Avocados are literally 99 cents at the moment, and they’re charging $25 to have half of one on a piece of toast,' another said.

'The list looks like a rip-off,' a third added.

While a fourth said: '$9 for bacon and egg roll. $16 for a scone. I wouldn’t give them any of my [dollars]!'

Others came to the cafe’s defence and argued that product costs are always relative to the restaurant’s situation.

'Ultimately $25 has nothing to do with the cost of the avo or toast and everything to do with how much people are willing to pay,' one commented.

Another added: 'If this is an affluent suburb where people make a lot of money or are single and living a life of fun with no need for savings, they will pay the price.'

'Don’t buy it. People act like you have to buy expensive takeaway, this is obviously selling or it wouldn’t be priced like that,' a third replied.

'The expensive place only stays expensive because people are paying it.'

In similar news, the owner of Little Jack Horner café in Coogee, BJ McHatton, reminded locals earlier this year that the café has to pay for its rent, power, wages, and produce.

According to him, these raise the cost of his menu items, such as a side dish of halloumi at $11.90 and bacon at $9.90.

He shared that everything had increased dramatically—from the plates they use to serve the food and the plants used to decorate the cafe.

He also said that they’re 'actively searching' for ways to pass value on to their customer and that their aim is 'to create a memorable experience for their customers'.

'We are a quality product. Everything we offer is premium, from our location to our chefs,' McHatton said.

'People might not see the value in that, but we are more than food on a plate.'
Key Takeaways
  • Social media users have expressed disapproval of a Sydney cafe charging $18 for a piece of takeaway banana bread.
  • The news went viral after an anonymous person shared an image of the cafe's menu on Reddit, which garnered hundreds of comments.
  • Some users were shocked by the prices of other items on the menu, such as $25 for avocado toast.
  • Despite some backlash, others commented in defence of the cafe's pricing, arguing the relative nature of cost and the business's right to charge what it sees fit for a premium product.
Members, what are your thoughts on this restaurant’s pricing? Is it just fair? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
The cost of living in Australia is indeed getting more and more expensive, and dining out hasn't gotten much easier either.

The price of a simple banana bread, which used to just cost a couple of dollars at most, costs an incredible amount at one café.

A social media user posted a photograph of the menu at an unnamed café and received many horrified responses.

View attachment 31524
Takeaway banana bread was reportedly priced an incredible amount at an unnamed café. Image source: wirestock on Freepik.

According to the menu, the café charges a whopping $18 for a takeaway banana bread—around the same price you'd pay for a substantial meal at a decent restaurant.

View attachment 31525

'Avocados are literally 99 cents at the moment, and they’re charging $25 to have half of one on a piece of toast,' another said.

While a fourth said: '$9 for bacon and egg roll. $16 for a scone. I wouldn’t give them any of my [dollars]!'

Others came to the cafe’s defence and argued that product costs are always relative to the restaurant’s situation.

'Ultimately $25 has nothing to do with the cost of the avo or toast and everything to do with how much people are willing to pay,' one commented.

Another added: 'If this is an affluent suburb where people make a lot of money or are single and living a life of fun with no need for savings, they will pay the price.'

'Don’t buy it. People act like you have to buy expensive takeaway, this is obviously selling or it wouldn’t be priced like that,' a third replied.

In similar news, the owner of Little Jack Horner café in Coogee, BJ McHatton, reminded locals earlier this year that the café has to pay for its rent, power, wages, and produce.

According to him, these raise the cost of his menu items, such as a side dish of halloumi at $11.90 and bacon at $9.90.

He shared that everything had increased dramatically—from the plates they use to serve the food and the plants used to decorate the cafe.

He also said that they’re 'actively searching' for ways to pass value on to their customer and that their aim is 'to create a memorable experience for their customers'.

'We are a quality product. Everything we offer is premium, from our location to our chefs,' McHatton said.

Key Takeaways

• Social media users have expressed disapproval of a Sydney cafe charging $18 for a piece of takeaway banana bread.
  • The news went viral after an anonymous person shared an image of the cafe's menu on Reddit, which garnered hundreds of comments.
  • Some users were shocked by the prices of other items on the menu, such as $25 for avocado toast.
  • Despite some backlash, others commented in defence of the cafe's pricing, arguing the relative nature of cost and the business's right to charge what it sees fit for a premium product.
Members, what are your thoughts on this restaurant’s pricing? Is it just fair? Let us know in the comments below!
Only thing to do is vote with your feet.

View attachment 31524

View attachment 31525

Key Takeaways

That is a lot of money for banana bread. I would not pay that amount.

I would never pay that for a slice of banana bread.
I have a very simple recipe for Banana Cake/Bread

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 125gms butter, 1 cup S.R.Flour, 1/2 tspn bicarb soda dissolved in 1 tblspn milk, 2 small bananas mashed together with 1/2 tspn of vanilla.
Method:
Cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each in well.
Then add the mashed bananas, milk and soda, lastly fold in the flour.
Bake in a greased loaf tin in a moderate oven 45-50 minutes, 350 F/180 C .
Ice with lemon icing or slice and serve buttered.

View attachment 31524

View attachment 31525

Key Takeaways

Unbelievable! That's just highway robbery! I'd certainly give this place a very wide berth.

I have just come back from our local shopping centre which advertised "Add a slice of banana bread to your coffee for an additional $2.50. Seems to me - if you shop at "exclusive" restaurants you get what you deserve. Keep your dollars safe. I understand their prices include all the other items cleaning, insurance, staff etc. but take a leaf out of the sausage sizzle book at Bunnings - sell cheaper and sell more - giving you the benefit of turnover to offset costs.

Many years ago, I learned a bit about the art of sales from a former employer.
I questioned a decision to undercut a price of a product dramatically so that competitors were kept at bay. That meant the profit margin was pretty much halved. I will say at this point, it was not an eating establishment.
His response to me was that he preferred to sell a bucket load of something to make a small profit, than sell much less at a higher profit, thereby losing on the bottom line. There is power in volume.

Management is also something that has to be considered in all industries, and, how much Owners/CEO's/Managers choose to pay themselves. Feathering one's own nest above keeping the tree alive will also have a negative effect. Coal face employees have to have a fair shake to keep the wheels turning and the doors open. The big shots looking at the computer are only factoring in the invoices. In the end they have to consider the business that may be lost because of the knee jerk pricing, especially in general hospitality.

There are overheads to pay and Sydney wages are higher. However, not everyone is an executive working in one of those CBD high rises who doesn't care about the price of a slice of banana bread. I'd be interested to know the demographics of the cafe, like where it is and what kind of clients it attracts.

We don't eat out at eating establishments that demand such high prices. There are others out there who don't have a fancy pants approach or location. We are one of those couples who stop out the front and read the menu before thinking about ordering. If we think it's too expensive, we don't walk in.

View attachment 31524

View attachment 31525

Key Takeaways

That's a bloody rip off 100% and the rest of the menu by the looks of it go elsewhere simple it isn't hard to make but obviously they are charging 150% increase for a loaf need the silver shoved down their throat 🙄🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: oldchook58
That's a bloody rip off 100% and the rest of the menu by the looks of it go elsewhere simple it isn't hard to make but obviously they are charging 150% increase for a loaf need the silver shoved down their throat 🙄🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

that is ridiculous,,I think many places are taking advantage of where we are now,,I won't buy anything I can make at home
This place must be on another planet! I have never seen scones for $16 or fruit salad for $19 and the avo on sourdough takes the cake at $25. I vote with my feet, do my own shopping and can make anything on their menu so much cheaper than what they are charging, and have leftovers to make more and feed not only myself but others. I can buy alot with $25 and you have to know where to shop, another story! I just cannot bring myself to pay such prices. I do eat out occassionally but will only order something if it is a reasonable price - I don't like being ripped off.

In owning a Cafe in a country town, I don't even know where some cafes get there prices, we do a Avo Smash which includes, 2 x Turkish bread, 2 poached eggs with feta & balsamic for $20, and customers are saying to us that our prices are to cheap, our Bacon & Egg Roll is massive for $8.50. I make all my sweets so I don't have to put stupid expensive prices on them. There are ways to make things cheaper but sometimes you have to go dearer to have better quality products. Everything has gone up with covid happening which is bloody scary. We opened up our cafe for the town. There was never anywhere to eat after 4 and weekends nothing available, OH but if you want Mc Donald's & KFC that is available but never that good. We are open 7 days a week 6 nights we open till 8pm & Sunday's till 4pm, luckily I have been in the hospitality area for over 20 years & my daughter who managers it is a fully qualified chef, and we employ 15 staff, so when you look at that, this is why we have to put prices up at times as wages go up every year, which is very challenging but we need the staff as we are a busy Cafe, we are known to have the best Burgers, Steak Sandwhichs & Fish, Chips & Potato Scallops, we use the best steak a good scotch fillet, butcher mince freshly Battered Fish, we do our own Potato Scallops. Quality & good food & presentation is always the most important thing in hospitality. If I walk into a cafe, restaurant or just a normal Pub feed, and find the prices are a little steep, I don't turn away, I order and if the food is tasty, good I don't mind paying that little bit extra. Bur I do understand where you are coming from, it is hard for the elderly, and that's why we give 5% to our elderly customers so they can try everything and not have to pay expensive stupid prices. Have a beautiful day 💛

Only thing to do is vote with your feet.

View attachment 31524

View attachment 31525

Key Takeaways

View attachment 31524

View attachment 31525

Key Takeaways

View attachment 31524

View attachment 31525

Key Takeaways

View attachment 31524

View attachment 31525

Key Takeaways

Whilst I rarely dine out at restaurants or cafes, the price gouging at some places is extraordinary. But on the other side one of my local hotels has managed to not only serve an excellent meal but have kept pricing reasonable.

It's their cafe. They can charge what they like. People will either pay that or go elsewhere. There's plenty of other cafes about that will suit people's budgets.

It's their cafe. They can charge what they like. People will either pay that or go elsewhere. There's plenty of other cafes about that will suit people's budgets.
well I pretty much guarantee customers who are court once won't be court again,,,the cafe depends on customers to keep them going so if they don't moderate their prices the will go under and will only have themselves to blame,,I won't be sorry for them,,hate people who exploit others

well I pretty much guarantee customers who are court once won't be court again,,,the cafe depends on customers to keep them going so if they don't moderate their prices the will go under and will only have themselves to blame,,I won't be sorry for them,,hate people who exploit others
That's ok if you're looking at it as a potential customer, and not looking at it as a business point of view with so many expenses businesses have these days just to stay afloat.

Even trying to cost something to sell like a cup of coffee. The cost of the coffee machine, cups and saucers, coffee beans, water, electric, staff costs etc etc All to try to sell it at about $5.