Would you pay this much? Sydney café sparks fury with its outrageous price for takeaway banana bread!

The cost of living in Australia is indeed getting more and more expensive, and dining out hasn't gotten much easier either.

The price of a simple banana bread, which used to just cost a couple of dollars at most, costs an incredible amount at one café.

A social media user posted a photograph of the menu at an unnamed café and received many horrified responses.

SDC Images (20).png
Takeaway banana bread was reportedly priced an incredible amount at an unnamed café. Image source: wirestock on Freepik.

According to the menu, the café charges a whopping $18 for a takeaway banana bread—around the same price you'd pay for a substantial meal at a decent restaurant.

'Surely $18 for takeaway banana bread is taking the p**s now,' the user wrote.

Hundreds commented and shared their opinions on the price.

'That’s the highest I’ve seen,' one said.

SDC 8.png
Banana bread costs $18 at this certain café in Sydney. Image source: Reddit.

Others could not help but notice the price of other items on the menu.

'I’m just fixated on the avocado toast for $25!' One commented.

'Avocados are literally 99 cents at the moment, and they’re charging $25 to have half of one on a piece of toast,' another said.

'The list looks like a rip-off,' a third added.

While a fourth said: '$9 for bacon and egg roll. $16 for a scone. I wouldn’t give them any of my [dollars]!'

Others came to the cafe’s defence and argued that product costs are always relative to the restaurant’s situation.

'Ultimately $25 has nothing to do with the cost of the avo or toast and everything to do with how much people are willing to pay,' one commented.

Another added: 'If this is an affluent suburb where people make a lot of money or are single and living a life of fun with no need for savings, they will pay the price.'

'Don’t buy it. People act like you have to buy expensive takeaway, this is obviously selling or it wouldn’t be priced like that,' a third replied.

'The expensive place only stays expensive because people are paying it.'

In similar news, the owner of Little Jack Horner café in Coogee, BJ McHatton, reminded locals earlier this year that the café has to pay for its rent, power, wages, and produce.

According to him, these raise the cost of his menu items, such as a side dish of halloumi at $11.90 and bacon at $9.90.

He shared that everything had increased dramatically—from the plates they use to serve the food and the plants used to decorate the cafe.

He also said that they’re 'actively searching' for ways to pass value on to their customer and that their aim is 'to create a memorable experience for their customers'.

'We are a quality product. Everything we offer is premium, from our location to our chefs,' McHatton said.

'People might not see the value in that, but we are more than food on a plate.'
Key Takeaways
  • Social media users have expressed disapproval of a Sydney cafe charging $18 for a piece of takeaway banana bread.
  • The news went viral after an anonymous person shared an image of the cafe's menu on Reddit, which garnered hundreds of comments.
  • Some users were shocked by the prices of other items on the menu, such as $25 for avocado toast.
  • Despite some backlash, others commented in defence of the cafe's pricing, arguing the relative nature of cost and the business's right to charge what it sees fit for a premium product.
Members, what are your thoughts on this restaurant’s pricing? Is it just fair? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
With takeaway coffee at $5 to $6 each, I don't buy that many unless I go for coffee with a friend. Mostly I buy a box of coffee sticks and have one with a sprinkle of coffee granules for extra taste with hot water and milk. I love them and would prefer to pay $3.75 and make 10 coffees at home. I find these are really good and sometimes better than some takeaway coffee I have paid for. I have been enjoying them for a few years now.

Reactions: Anoush
With takeaway coffee at $5 to $6 each, I don't buy that many unless I go for coffee with a friend. Mostly I buy a box of coffee sticks and have one with a sprinkle of coffee granules for extra taste with hot water and milk. I love them and would prefer to pay $3.75 and make 10 coffees at home. I find these are really good and sometimes better than some takeaway coffee I have paid for. I have been enjoying them for a few years now.
I love those and shout myself most weeks,,,so much nicer and as you say 10 coffees for under $4:00 if on special,,if not they are around $7 I think so don't buy them ,,I love mine with just boiling water,delicious

Reactions: oldchook58
I love those and shout myself most weeks,,,so much nicer and as you say 10 coffees for under $4:00 if on special,,if not they are around $7 I think so don't buy them ,,I love mine with just boiling water,delicious
I only buy them when they are on "special" and usually get 3 boxes to last til the next specials. I dont pay the normal price for them. I am enjoying one right now!

• Love
Reactions: Anoush