Woolworths under fire for reserving prime parking spots for pricey eco-friendly vehicles - here's what some Aussies had to say!

Woolworths, one of Australia's largest supermarket chains, has been known for a number of its eco-friendly initiatives in order to reduce its impact on the environment.

Just last year, the supermarket chain announced that it is committed to reducing its use of plastic, such as plastic bags and packaging, and has introduced alternatives such as reusable bags and recyclable paper bags.

Woolworths has also invested in energy-efficient technologies and practices, such as LED lighting and solar panels, to reduce its energy usage and carbon footprint, as part of the company's nationwide transition to clean energy by 2025.

These initiatives have been well received by customers who are increasingly looking for environmentally-friendly options.

But unfortunately, Woolworths' latest eco-friendly initiative is not going down well with shoppers - with many even saying it is downright 'discriminatory'.

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 1.22.51 PM.png
Woolworths has reserved 'green' carparks specifically for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles. Credit: TikTok/mattlawsonphotography2.0.

A Melbourne shopper, Matthew Lawson, was taken aback by the sight of green parking spots reserved for eco-friendly vehicles at his local Woolworths store.

In a video that quickly went viral on social media, Matthew took viewers on a tour of the Mernda Town Centre Woolworths carpark, pointing out the green spots designated for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles.

The sign in front of the spots lists the vehicles that are eligible to park there, including hybrids, electrics, and cars that use five litres or less of fuel per 100 km driven.

As Matthew gestures towards the sign, he can barely contain his disbelief.

'I've just encountered wokeness at a new level,' he exclaims. 'Reserved parking for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles only? Green spots that you can only park in if you fit those criteria? That's crazy!'

Matthew's video has quickly become a sensation, with many people sharing his frustration at this latest attempt by Woolworths to go green.

The green parking spots reserved for eco-friendly vehicles have drawn a barrage of criticism on social media, with Matt's video garnering over 1,000 comments from fellow shoppers.

One shopper wrote, 'Meanwhile, I'm a wheelchair user who can't push myself in the chair, can't afford an electric chair, and I can rarely find enough disabled parking.'

Another commented, 'No more Woolies shopping for me.' And a third asked, 'So only people wealthy enough to buy these types of cars are considered for privileged parking spots?'

The supermarket has yet to respond to the backlash, but it's clear that this latest initiative is not sitting well with many customers.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has implemented a number of eco-friendly initiatives to reduce its impact on the environment.
  • The latest initiative is 'reserved' parking spaces for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles, leading to backlash from customers.
  • Customers have expressed a range of opinions, with some slamming the reserved parking spaces as 'discriminatory'.
  • Woolworths has not made a statement on the issue so far.

Shopping at a supermarket can be a real challenge, especially when it comes to finding a parking spot. For seniors, parents with prams and people with disabilities, this challenge can be even greater. Many supermarket carparks are cramped and busy, making it difficult to navigate and find a suitable spot.

For individuals with disabilities, the situation can be even more challenging. They may require wider spaces for wheelchairs or accessible ramps, and finding one such parking space can be difficult, especially in busy supermarket carparks.

Additionally, disabled parking spots are often few and far between, and are sometimes even occupied by able-bodied individuals, leaving those who actually need them struggling to find a suitable spot.

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 1.22.43 PM.png
People with disabilities can have a difficult time doing something as simple as obtaining a parking spot. Credit: Pexels/Jakub Pabis.

These difficulties can be stressful and discouraging, making shopping a task that many would rather avoid.

It is important for supermarkets to consider these challenges and make their carparks more accessible and accommodating for everyone, regardless of age or ability. This would not only improve the shopping experience for those who need it, but it would also demonstrate a commitment to inclusivity and accessibility.

What do you think of this story, folks? Do you believe this eco-friendly parking policy will end up alienating more shoppers than it attracts? Or will this be enough to change the way people drive and reduce their carbon footprint?

Only time will tell, but for now, it seems that Matt's viral video has sparked a heated debate about the true cost of going green. Which side are you on? Let us know what you think in the comments!

Sponsored
I am appalled Woolworths! Now more discrimination because I have mobility issues faced with my wheelchair. Disabled spots are laughable as they shrink in numbers in some carparks. One person suggested I just stay home and either shop online or get someone to shop for me as he found people with mobility issues annoying as they take longer to do certain tasks. I forgot I was a lady for a few minutes. This article makes my blood boil as I'll never be able to afford an electric vehicle. Coles here I come, instead of shopping between three now only two stops to make, Aldi & Coles 😡🤬😠

Woolworths, one of Australia's largest supermarket chains, has been known for a number of its eco-friendly initiatives in order to reduce its impact on the environment.

Just last year, the supermarket chain announced that it is committed to reducing its use of plastic, such as plastic bags and packaging, and has introduced alternatives such as reusable bags and recyclable paper bags.

Woolworths has also invested in energy-efficient technologies and practices, such as LED lighting and solar panels, to reduce its energy usage and carbon footprint, as part of the company's nationwide transition to clean energy by 2025.

These initiatives have been well received by customers who are increasingly looking for environmentally-friendly options.

But unfortunately, Woolworths' latest eco-friendly initiative is not going down well with shoppers - with many even saying it is downright 'discriminatory'.

View attachment 13006
Woolworths has reserved 'green' carparks specifically for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles. Credit: TikTok/mattlawsonphotography2.0.

A Melbourne shopper, Matthew Lawson, was taken aback by the sight of green parking spots reserved for eco-friendly vehicles at his local Woolworths store.

In a video that quickly went viral on social media, Matthew took viewers on a tour of the Mernda Town Centre Woolworths carpark, pointing out the green spots designated for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles.

The sign in front of the spots lists the vehicles that are eligible to park there, including hybrids, electrics, and cars that use five litres or less of fuel per 100 km driven.

'I've just encountered wokeness at a new level,' he exclaims. 'Reserved parking for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles only? Green spots that you can only park in if you fit those criteria? That's crazy!'

Matthew's video has quickly become a sensation, with many people sharing his frustration at this latest attempt by Woolworths to go green.

The green parking spots reserved for eco-friendly vehicles have drawn a barrage of criticism on social media, with Matt's video garnering over 1,000 comments from fellow shoppers.

One shopper wrote, 'Meanwhile, I'm a wheelchair user who can't push myself in the chair, can't afford an electric chair, and I can rarely find enough disabled parking.'

Another commented, 'No more Woolies shopping for me.' And a third asked, 'So only people wealthy enough to buy these types of cars are considered for privileged parking spots?'

The supermarket has yet to respond to the backlash, but it's clear that this latest initiative is not sitting well with many customers.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has implemented a number of eco-friendly initiatives to reduce its impact on the environment.
  • The latest initiative is 'reserved' parking spaces for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles, leading to backlash from customers.
  • Customers have expressed a range of opinions, with some slamming the reserved parking spaces as 'discriminatory'.

Shopping at a supermarket can be a real challenge, especially when it comes to finding a parking spot. For seniors, parents with prams and people with disabilities, this challenge can be even greater. Many supermarket carparks are cramped and busy, making it difficult to navigate and find a suitable spot.

For individuals with disabilities, the situation can be even more challenging. They may require wider spaces for wheelchairs or accessible ramps, and finding one such parking space can be difficult, especially in busy supermarket carparks.

Additionally, disabled parking spots are often few and far between, and are sometimes even occupied by able-bodied individuals, leaving those who actually need them struggling to find a suitable spot.

View attachment 13007
People with disabilities can have a difficult time doing something as simple as obtaining a parking spot. Credit: Pexels/Jakub Pabis.

These difficulties can be stressful and discouraging, making shopping a task that many would rather avoid.

It is important for supermarkets to consider these challenges and make their carparks more accessible and accommodating for everyone, regardless of age or ability. This would not only improve the shopping experience for those who need it, but it would also demonstrate a commitment to inclusivity and accessibility.

What do you think of this story, folks? Do you believe this eco-friendly parking policy will end up alienating more shoppers than it attracts? Or will this be enough to change the way people drive and reduce their carbon footprint?

Only time will tell, but for now, it seems that Matt's viral video has sparked a heated debate about the true cost of going green. Which side are you on? Let us know what you think in the comments!

Query, I now use least than 5 litres a day over 13 days per fortnight, am I aloud to park there. Oh by the way my car is a BT-50 diesel.

View attachment 13006

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13007

I just find it unbelievable how these price drivers are accepted by the population. I stopped accepting those 15 years ago. Took a day off to shop, I saved a lot more than I earned that day. That was also the last time I visited the large shopping center. Most of what I buy is now online and home delivery, many stores are not even wheelchair accessible and impossible to access. Unfortunately, the new enviromet cars are unaffordable for pensioners.

View attachment 13006

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13007

Low emissions, when driving. Much higher emissions during manufacturing and of course a lot more of these vehicles can't be recycled. Makes you 🤔. By the way, a fan of electric motors... but at what cost?

All these new cars are made with fossil fuels. Who is Woolworths kidding.
It is like big brother is watching over you, and you will have to open up your bonnet.
for a pollution inspection before you can park and go shopping.
Grow up Woolworths.

I just find it unbelievable how these price drivers are accepted by the population. I stopped accepting those 15 years ago. Took a day off to shop, I saved a lot more than I earned that day. That was also the last time I visited the large shopping center. Most of what I buy is now online and home delivery, many stores are not even wheelchair accessible and impossible to access. Unfortunately, the new enviromet cars are unaffordable for pensioners.
However, when purchasing online you are being charged the full price for what ever you buy missing out on goods and produce marked down to clear.

View attachment 13006

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13007

I would just park there and put my disabled card where they can see it and bugger them.

Last edited:

View attachment 13006

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13007

I would like to know who will actually be policing these car parks and how can they tell if my little Astra gets less than 5lts. Per 100klms? Do they have a mechanical degree? This is really over the top. I just hope Coles and Aldi don't follow them with these ridiculous parking regulations.

View attachment 13006

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13007

wokeness?????????????????????????????

View attachment 13006

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13007

I have a disability sign so I'd park there in my 20/100 town cycle car but I'd advise all able drivers to ignore as is unenforceable