Woolworths under fire for reserving prime parking spots for pricey eco-friendly vehicles - here's what some Aussies had to say!

Woolworths, one of Australia's largest supermarket chains, has been known for a number of its eco-friendly initiatives in order to reduce its impact on the environment.

Just last year, the supermarket chain announced that it is committed to reducing its use of plastic, such as plastic bags and packaging, and has introduced alternatives such as reusable bags and recyclable paper bags.

Woolworths has also invested in energy-efficient technologies and practices, such as LED lighting and solar panels, to reduce its energy usage and carbon footprint, as part of the company's nationwide transition to clean energy by 2025.

These initiatives have been well received by customers who are increasingly looking for environmentally-friendly options.

But unfortunately, Woolworths' latest eco-friendly initiative is not going down well with shoppers - with many even saying it is downright 'discriminatory'.

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 1.22.51 PM.png
Woolworths has reserved 'green' carparks specifically for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles. Credit: TikTok/mattlawsonphotography2.0.

A Melbourne shopper, Matthew Lawson, was taken aback by the sight of green parking spots reserved for eco-friendly vehicles at his local Woolworths store.

In a video that quickly went viral on social media, Matthew took viewers on a tour of the Mernda Town Centre Woolworths carpark, pointing out the green spots designated for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles.

The sign in front of the spots lists the vehicles that are eligible to park there, including hybrids, electrics, and cars that use five litres or less of fuel per 100 km driven.

As Matthew gestures towards the sign, he can barely contain his disbelief.

'I've just encountered wokeness at a new level,' he exclaims. 'Reserved parking for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles only? Green spots that you can only park in if you fit those criteria? That's crazy!'

Matthew's video has quickly become a sensation, with many people sharing his frustration at this latest attempt by Woolworths to go green.

The green parking spots reserved for eco-friendly vehicles have drawn a barrage of criticism on social media, with Matt's video garnering over 1,000 comments from fellow shoppers.

One shopper wrote, 'Meanwhile, I'm a wheelchair user who can't push myself in the chair, can't afford an electric chair, and I can rarely find enough disabled parking.'

Another commented, 'No more Woolies shopping for me.' And a third asked, 'So only people wealthy enough to buy these types of cars are considered for privileged parking spots?'

The supermarket has yet to respond to the backlash, but it's clear that this latest initiative is not sitting well with many customers.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has implemented a number of eco-friendly initiatives to reduce its impact on the environment.
  • The latest initiative is 'reserved' parking spaces for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles, leading to backlash from customers.
  • Customers have expressed a range of opinions, with some slamming the reserved parking spaces as 'discriminatory'.
  • Woolworths has not made a statement on the issue so far.

Shopping at a supermarket can be a real challenge, especially when it comes to finding a parking spot. For seniors, parents with prams and people with disabilities, this challenge can be even greater. Many supermarket carparks are cramped and busy, making it difficult to navigate and find a suitable spot.

For individuals with disabilities, the situation can be even more challenging. They may require wider spaces for wheelchairs or accessible ramps, and finding one such parking space can be difficult, especially in busy supermarket carparks.

Additionally, disabled parking spots are often few and far between, and are sometimes even occupied by able-bodied individuals, leaving those who actually need them struggling to find a suitable spot.

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 1.22.43 PM.png
People with disabilities can have a difficult time doing something as simple as obtaining a parking spot. Credit: Pexels/Jakub Pabis.

These difficulties can be stressful and discouraging, making shopping a task that many would rather avoid.

It is important for supermarkets to consider these challenges and make their carparks more accessible and accommodating for everyone, regardless of age or ability. This would not only improve the shopping experience for those who need it, but it would also demonstrate a commitment to inclusivity and accessibility.

What do you think of this story, folks? Do you believe this eco-friendly parking policy will end up alienating more shoppers than it attracts? Or will this be enough to change the way people drive and reduce their carbon footprint?

Only time will tell, but for now, it seems that Matt's viral video has sparked a heated debate about the true cost of going green. Which side are you on? Let us know what you think in the comments!

Sponsored
Woolworths, one of Australia's largest supermarket chains, has been known for a number of its eco-friendly initiatives in order to reduce its impact on the environment.

Just last year, the supermarket chain announced that it is committed to reducing its use of plastic, such as plastic bags and packaging, and has introduced alternatives such as reusable bags and recyclable paper bags.

Woolworths has also invested in energy-efficient technologies and practices, such as LED lighting and solar panels, to reduce its energy usage and carbon footprint, as part of the company's nationwide transition to clean energy by 2025.

These initiatives have been well received by customers who are increasingly looking for environmentally-friendly options.

But unfortunately, Woolworths' latest eco-friendly initiative is not going down well with shoppers - with many even saying it is downright 'discriminatory'.

View attachment 13006
Woolworths has reserved 'green' carparks specifically for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles. Credit: TikTok/mattlawsonphotography2.0.

A Melbourne shopper, Matthew Lawson, was taken aback by the sight of green parking spots reserved for eco-friendly vehicles at his local Woolworths store.

In a video that quickly went viral on social media, Matthew took viewers on a tour of the Mernda Town Centre Woolworths carpark, pointing out the green spots designated for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles.

The sign in front of the spots lists the vehicles that are eligible to park there, including hybrids, electrics, and cars that use five litres or less of fuel per 100 km driven.

'I've just encountered wokeness at a new level,' he exclaims. 'Reserved parking for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles only? Green spots that you can only park in if you fit those criteria? That's crazy!'

Matthew's video has quickly become a sensation, with many people sharing his frustration at this latest attempt by Woolworths to go green.

The green parking spots reserved for eco-friendly vehicles have drawn a barrage of criticism on social media, with Matt's video garnering over 1,000 comments from fellow shoppers.

One shopper wrote, 'Meanwhile, I'm a wheelchair user who can't push myself in the chair, can't afford an electric chair, and I can rarely find enough disabled parking.'

Another commented, 'No more Woolies shopping for me.' And a third asked, 'So only people wealthy enough to buy these types of cars are considered for privileged parking spots?'

The supermarket has yet to respond to the backlash, but it's clear that this latest initiative is not sitting well with many customers.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has implemented a number of eco-friendly initiatives to reduce its impact on the environment.
  • The latest initiative is 'reserved' parking spaces for low-emitting, fuel-efficient vehicles, leading to backlash from customers.
  • Customers have expressed a range of opinions, with some slamming the reserved parking spaces as 'discriminatory'.

Shopping at a supermarket can be a real challenge, especially when it comes to finding a parking spot. For seniors, parents with prams and people with disabilities, this challenge can be even greater. Many supermarket carparks are cramped and busy, making it difficult to navigate and find a suitable spot.

For individuals with disabilities, the situation can be even more challenging. They may require wider spaces for wheelchairs or accessible ramps, and finding one such parking space can be difficult, especially in busy supermarket carparks.

Additionally, disabled parking spots are often few and far between, and are sometimes even occupied by able-bodied individuals, leaving those who actually need them struggling to find a suitable spot.

View attachment 13007
People with disabilities can have a difficult time doing something as simple as obtaining a parking spot. Credit: Pexels/Jakub Pabis.

These difficulties can be stressful and discouraging, making shopping a task that many would rather avoid.

It is important for supermarkets to consider these challenges and make their carparks more accessible and accommodating for everyone, regardless of age or ability. This would not only improve the shopping experience for those who need it, but it would also demonstrate a commitment to inclusivity and accessibility.

What do you think of this story, folks? Do you believe this eco-friendly parking policy will end up alienating more shoppers than it attracts? Or will this be enough to change the way people drive and reduce their carbon footprint?

Only time will tell, but for now, it seems that Matt's viral video has sparked a heated debate about the true cost of going green. Which side are you on? Let us know what you think in the comments!

Rather than parks for specifically green vehicles, why not make huge 4 wheel drives & vans use the outside edges of a general car park as they are a parking hazard to normal-sized vehicles?

These people make you laugh with their silly complaints. 🙄

All supermarkets and the land surrounding them are actually private property and they're really doing people a favour making a space for a car park. And it's normally 3 hours for free. They don't have to have a car park at all if they don't want to, but obviously they'd lose business if there wasn't one. As well as that the stores don't even have to let you in if they don't want to.

As well as disabled spaces my local Woolies car park also has about 10 spaces for small cars. I've got a big car so just drive past them. Certainly wouldn't think of complaining about it on social media.🙄

In this case it's their stores and their car parks so they can do what they like with them. Eventually all their car parks and probably Coles will all have this so people will have to find something else to moan about.
and we the public can do what we like. ignore them. one cannot be fined for parking in a shopping mall. your tone is not that favourable. as to doing us a favour i feel you have that round the wrong way.

Rather than parks for specifically green vehicles, why not make huge 4 wheel drives & vans use the outside edges of a general car park as they are a parking hazard to normal-sized vehicles?
totally agree but not where you suggest as when you drive out onto the main exit you cannot see a thing. These vehicles are a waste of space. take kids to school, go shopping. not even onto a gravel road. farmers yes townies NO. anyway, I will drive my Camry forever. climate change poof!!

Ordinary people cannot afford an electric car if they can then I doubt they would be shopping at Woolworths. What the disabled spaces not many of them.

I think this is just over the top. How many people know how many ks for litres they get? As for electric cars, they are out of my price range. One thing that does anger me about all shopping centre carparks is there is never any covered parking for disabled! Yes, the parking is closer but in Summer full sun is too much. They will put up cover for everyone else but not for disabled bays. I think its discrimination.

Reactions: Judibing
Absolutely WRONG. As a disabled shopper I find there are never enough parking spaces for us and yet they find room for this madness. Woolworths has lost me. Aldi and Coles, here I come.

I hope these spots aren't close to entrances. My woolies has removed 4 pensioner parks and replaced with 3 large click and collect bays. Coles the other end has only pram and disability and no pensioner parks. but all of these are always full. These categories need to be increased. And eco friendly care- really that means they get to have their own park, yet they park next to regular vehicles, so the air stays still and only where they are as they aren't using petrol? really! the more in need than they are. Let them have these parks elsewhere.

Reactions: Kelpie

All supermarkets and the land surrounding them are actually private property and they're really doing people a favour making a space for a car park. And it's normally 3 hours for free. They don't have to have a car park at all if they don't want to, but obviously they'd lose business if there wasn't one. As well as that the stores don't even have to let you in if they don't want to.

As well as disabled spaces my local Woolies car park also has about 10 spaces for small cars. I've got a big car so just drive past them. Certainly wouldn't think of complaining about it on social media.🙄

In this case it's their stores and their car parks so they can do what they like with them. Eventually all their car parks and probably Coles will all have this so people will have to find something else to moan about.
Not right. At the time of development proposals by a developer, and before the proposal is approved by the Local Council, there are certain parking spaces designated and to be provided for in any shopping centre and if they can't provide them as specified, they will not get approval from Councils.

And that is a fact.

""They don't have to have a car park at all if they don't want to"".

WRONG, ...... Check with your local council and see what they will have to say about it.
Councils are not (Unfortunately) a benevolent institution and they will do their best to make it hard for you in order to get what they want. Councils are not responsible to provide Car Parks for a developer of any shopping centre and that includes the tenants of that facility. It is the developer responsibvlity to do so and provide parking spaces, or the Council will knock it on the head.

No you are wrong, councils determine the number of car parks they Must supply.
Couldn't agree with you more. Some people will write anything without doing some proper research before doing so.

Well, i am looking at getting a hybrid, however there is a two year wait apparently. In the mean time, pull your head in Woolies!
If you were to consider what's involved with the mining of cobalt to produce what's needed in the manufacturing of those batteries, you would stay right away from them.

As for me, it will be a very very long time before I even start thinking about changing my car. I don't live in the big smoke and I am very happy with what I drive.

View attachment 13006

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13007

Westfield Hornsby has had it for years as has Dural mall.

Woolworths don't collect the plastic any more so it ends up in the bin and now they're worried about polluting cars and giving electric cars a benefit. What genius at Woollies came up with this I wonder

View attachment 13006

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13007

The trouble with your statement saying that disability spaces are often occupied by able bodied people is - I may look "able bodied" but I have severe issues with my back and hips. I can sometimes walk into the supermarket okay, but then I am in severe pain on the way out. Put the "green" parking further away. And also the parks for people with prams .. make those close spots into disabled parks as well.

Reactions: Ian Crane-Luff
Would this be the Woolworths that uses diesel guzzling (& emitting) trucks all over Australia? Shame on you Woolworths!! Discrimination!!! Why not put more disabled and parents Parking? World gone mad!!!!!

Correction. As part of the premises planning permission councils nominate the number of parking spaces to be provided, it is not up to the owners of the property.

""They don't have to have a car park at all if they don't want to"".

WRONG, ...... Check with your local council and see what they will have to say about it.
Councils are not (Unfortunately) a benevolent institution and they will do their best to make it hard for you in order to get what they want. Councils are not responsible to provide Car Parks for a developer of any shopping centre and that includes the tenants of that facility. It is the developer responsibvlity to do so and provide parking spaces, or the Council will knock it on the head.
I never said councils provide car parks for supermarkets. It's down to the company to put it in their plans and I think it's down to how many spaces per sqm of development. I know there's loads of regulations for everything anyway.

And also the company can lease the land back to the council and they can enforce the parking.

Correction. As part of the premises planning permission councils nominate the number of parking spaces to be provided, it is not up to the owners of the property.
It's normally worked out by how big the development will be. So many spaces per sqm unless I'm completely wrong?

and we the public can do what we like. ignore them. one cannot be fined for parking in a shopping mall. your tone is not that favourable. as to doing us a favour i feel you have that round the wrong way.
You'd get a 'parking charge' if it's patrolled by a private parking company, but I understand some car parks are leased back to councils and they run the parking then you'd get an official parking fine.

There's lots about it online if you want to look it up? 👍🙂