Woolworths suspends operations with major supplier over alleged “demeaning” workforce practice

Woolworths suspends operations with major supplier over alleged “demeaning” workforce practice
Woolworths has recently announced that it will be suspending arrangements with Teys Australia after a union body has called on the supermarket giant to take action on the alleged labour abuse of the abattoir towards its COVID-positive employees.

NuHJgKRkt6qLkqg0nVhpRonYyLt_F4Z_n9D7wNYS_zcoG4vssmYYIw8n4xtsA0otPv12GvHRqrDILOdrEIJk4t9CQOH6NaYIgSFz4QIst9IDG4B7XljMVW64F8azjLLZQ3XP_Is

Australian Council on Trade Unions accused Woolies’ major meat supplier, Teys Australia, of imposing a demeaning labour practice. Credit: InsideRetailer.com.

Australian Council on Trade Unions (ACTU) president Michele O'Neil released a statement on Saturday, calling out the "demeaning" practice that Teys Australia — one of Woolworths' main suppliers — imposed on their workers in South Australia where they were instructed to wear coloured hairnets depending on their infection status.

Ms O'Neil said in a statement: “Woolworths is turning a blind eye to the exploitation of workers by a major food supplier in the supermarket’s supply chain ... who are forcing workers to continue turning up for work even though they are infected.”

The union president also divulged that while the practice was demeaning to the workers, the staff are reluctant to take a stand.

Lg4BwrDOpD0OW3Am-_KCtTjntYdSENvatVEE2gBVtTOh5zc4JRtRh27iyJqEB4kxLcmyU__Ds2YjkBsBRd4JylZEOEuvzDkvuUhhdoqdfxKqVy12ev509fvbPKk8vKwzpAcNEJ8

Woolworths announced the suspension of operations with Teys Australia SA over alleged “demeaning” practices towards employees. Credit: AAP.

However, the supermarket giant denied the claims, saying that the temporary COVID measures introduced by the authorities at the abattoir were out of their control.

A Woolworths spokeswoman confirmed the company's decision to suspend operations with Teys Australia SA, saying: “all supply through Tey’s South Australian facility while we work with Teys, SA Health and Safework SA to understand the protocols currently in place for their team and operations”.

It should be noted, however, that the supermarket retailer will continue to process meat through Teys’ facilities in other states and announced that it will source additional supply from partners.

It is understood that health officials took the supply chain crisis into account when deciding to approve the exceptional arrangements at the Naracoorte abattoir between Monday and Thursday last week in a bid to keep up with demand as supplies in supermarket stores dwindle. However, these measures have since been scrapped.

Sponsored
Agree - what is wrong with our meat !!!
Nothing wrong with our meat. The problem is in the wages! I would imagine SA workers are paid much less than Australian workers so their meat is cheaper. Buy your meat from local butchers who purchase from Australian companies!

Reactions: Lindyloo
More to the point, as far as I'm concerned not wearing the hairnets is not the problem it's the fact the staff have to wear different coloured ones depending on their infectious status. The article also said that Woolies are expecting them to work even though they are infectious. Totally unsafe work practices..not only putting their other staff members at risk but their customers as well. A total disgrace, Woolworths!

I get the colour coding to keep non-infected safe.. but why the hell are they having positive or even possibly positive people at work....handling food??!! That is more scary than colour coded hair nets!!

how is wearing a colored hairnet demeaning i only wore shorts and singlet for forty years as a long distance truck driver then came boots long pants long sleeved shirts hi vis shirts and the list goes on so please a hair net
Right on, even the Lifesavers have changed their dress code to keep up to date with the times. Gee I (reitired July last year) hated going to work wearing full PPE as I worked in the lead industry. Plus I have (before covid) seen employees wearing different coloured hairnets, to much cotton wool nowadays.

Sth Africa? What is wrong with
Wow! That typo really upset some members. As an ex- butcher, i can guarantee Teys is most definitely an Australian company, i dealt with them in both my own business and as a Manager for Woolworths for many years. Hair nets are part of the workers uniform anyway, as are facial hair nets!
I don’t understand the problem with them being different colours in fact if I was working there I would appreciate not having to explain to everyone that came near me “just so you know I am a close contact but required to return to work to keep the shelves full”. And it sure makes it easy for other workers who have family at home who need to take extra care to do as much as they can to avoid the virus. If I saw someone working in a “covid colour” hair net working with me I’d be so grateful he was taking personal responsibility to care for those around him!!

Reactions: Bertie and Lizzy
The colour net they had to wear distinguished whether they had the virus or not. Bad form in my view. If it was me I just wouldn't have shown up for work until I tested negative.
But that is the problem with all the shortages no workers so no meat, or deliveries or anything else while all out of action waiting for clearance. Some were only close contacts and not even infected but were supposed to isolate. Quite ridiculous really! At least with the rapid test it is know straight away. So makes the argument a moot point.

Hi Everyone,

Well spotted, it was supposed to say South Australia, not South Africa so we apologize for that one.

Also, the issue seems to be less about having to wear a coloured hair net and more about the fact that these people are being forced to work whilst infected with COVID-19.

Once again, well picked everyone!
Daniel, l think all articles that are posted from other sources need to be proof read more than once as this is not the 1st time errors have 'slipped thru'
And yes, the 1st priority SHOULD have been 'if you tested positive, DO NOT report for work till you test negative.' Many decades ago l did my nursing training at a hospital for infectious diseases. Most of the fiasco since day 1 of Covid has made me shudder, from Government to Health Officials, to the everyday person who wears a mask with their nose poking out the top. Seriously, l don't need a nursing degree to know that a nose is part of the respiratory system. Cover the damn nose too !!!!!!!

Reactions: Pacapam
how is wearing a colored hairnet demeaning i only wore shorts and singlet for forty years as a long distance truck driver then came boots long pants long sleeved shirts hi vis shirts and the list goes on so please a hair net
Nothing wrong with wearing hair net ir covering. That us standard garb in any food processing environment. The issue was around identifying and singling out individuals based on their health status Covid wise. If exemptions had been given to the company to enable them to bring back non symptomatic but Covid Positive workers ( potentially putting non infected workers at risk of catching Covid), then some other work practise should have been considered perhaps to keep infected seperate from non infected. Depending on work skills possessed, group infected workers together in one part of the processing plant? Health status is private , personal info which should be responded to carefully not
“ advertised “ with potential of stigma or discrimination to affected individuals.

Daniel, l think all articles that are posted from other sources need to be proof read more than once as this is not the 1st time errors have 'slipped thru'
And yes, the 1st priority SHOULD have been 'if you tested positive, DO NOT report for work till you test negative.' Many decades ago l did my nursing training at a hospital for infectious diseases. Most of the fiasco since day 1 of Covid has made me shudder, from Government to Health Officials, to the everyday person who wears a mask with their nose poking out the top. Seriously, l don't need a nursing degree to know that a nose is part of the respiratory system. Cover the damn nose too !!!!!!!
From years of experience.. you cannot proof read anything you have written yourself, someone else needs to do it. :cool:

Woolworths has recently announced that it will be suspending arrangements with Teys Australia after a union body has called on the supermarket giant to take action on the alleged labour abuse of the abattoir towards its COVID-positive employees.

NuHJgKRkt6qLkqg0nVhpRonYyLt_F4Z_n9D7wNYS_zcoG4vssmYYIw8n4xtsA0otPv12GvHRqrDILOdrEIJk4t9CQOH6NaYIgSFz4QIst9IDG4B7XljMVW64F8azjLLZQ3XP_Is

Australian Council on Trade Unions accused Woolies’ major meat supplier, Teys Australia, of imposing a demeaning labour practice. Credit: InsideRetailer.com.

Australian Council on Trade Unions (ACTU) president Michele O'Neil released a statement on Saturday, calling out the "demeaning" practice that Teys Australia — one of Woolworths' main suppliers — imposed on their workers in South Australia where they were instructed to wear coloured hairnets depending on their infection status.

Ms O'Neil said in a statement: “Woolworths is turning a blind eye to the exploitation of workers by a major food supplier in the supermarket’s supply chain ... who are forcing workers to continue turning up for work even though they are infected.”

The union president also divulged that while the practice was demeaning to the workers, the staff are reluctant to take a stand.

Lg4BwrDOpD0OW3Am-_KCtTjntYdSENvatVEE2gBVtTOh5zc4JRtRh27iyJqEB4kxLcmyU__Ds2YjkBsBRd4JylZEOEuvzDkvuUhhdoqdfxKqVy12ev509fvbPKk8vKwzpAcNEJ8

Woolworths announced the suspension of operations with Teys Australia SA over alleged “demeaning” practices towards employees. Credit: AAP.

However, the supermarket giant denied the claims, saying that the temporary COVID measures introduced by the authorities at the abattoir were out of their control.

A Woolworths spokeswoman confirmed the company's decision to suspend operations with Teys Australia SA, saying: “all supply through Tey’s South Australian facility while we work with Teys, SA Health and Safework SA to understand the protocols currently in place for their team and operations”.

It should be noted, however, that the supermarket retailer will continue to process meat through Teys’ facilities in other states and announced that it will source additional supply from partners.

It is understood that health officials took the supply chain crisis into account when deciding to approve the exceptional arrangements at the Naracoorte abattoir between Monday and Thursday last week in a bid to

keep up with demand as supplies in supermarket stores dwindle. However, these measures have since been scrapped.