Woolworths supermarket repurposes unsold bread into delicious garlic bread at one Sydney store!

Woolworths took reusing to another level as they revealed that they’re now ‘upscaling’ unsold loaves of bread into a cult-favourite side dish. Sharing on TikTok, the supermarket giant detailed its clever initiative to reduce food waste.

Team members in Woolworths Double Bay (Sydney) have started gathering the unsold loaves of bread at the end of each day to turn them into frozen garlic bread.

“In our stores, we bake fresh bread daily,” one of the employees said in the TikTok video.

“However, sometimes we don’t sell it all. So, in our Double Bay store, we’re reducing food waste by giving these loaves another life in the form of delicious garlic bread.”

“First we cut the bread. But in specific ways for each type of bread. Then we spread the butter onto the bread. Then we let it freeze for 12 hours.”

“And then, it’s yours to enjoy!”

ubq6pEyWQOIjqA5OCooOloGnaRxHUVmcYL2MVkr7VALxWv07DQn8aKsojiQ5DrmXuYyTv1M61pf1dMtJA8EAWUlHiRt-bQcLmRROkccAA9waD4mDb8pHDmoMq5m9XKb7NM1_SByycnFpFo2lew

From unsold bread to garlic bread! Image Credit: BAJ Safaris

The clip gave shoppers a glimpse at how the garlic loaves are made. They are kept in a freezer that’s labelled ‘Moving Towards Zero Waste’, ready for sale at the Double Bay store.

According to the Department of Agriculture, Water, and the Environment, The National Food Waste Strategy Feasibility Study found that Australians waste an estimated 7.6 million tonnes of food annually. This waste is equivalent to 312 kilogrammes per person or around $2,000 to $2,500 per household every year.

The authority also added that food waste accounts for approximately 3% of Australia’s annual greenhouse gas emissions. It is one of the major problems that the country is currently facing.

The TikTok video amassed nearly 220k viewers in 24 hours, with thousands of users in the comments praising the retail giant.

“This is a great idea! (That’s why I choose Woolies).” one user said.

“Brilliant idea! All major groceries should be doing this.” chimed another.

“Please do this in all Woolworths stores. Love the amount of garlic butter too!” commented a third.

eOlx5p4rXEyJiYQjVgz0RLQJIV0qsX50mKv94yQ2f7hPExAnMkxGWY5UOYVYequAQlqwrNN0CBLzn8dCF9zdzl3OlroAclVgVdhYKSC4V599Uv9pmTo8sH7YKDAOAw4k6CjBcE7Y-vHuAgyBjw
F96x-fYilUq7xysEqdiEhxxViPNppfQZgOpySY8V23JRrV8Xy5QNHxVN9i3jumVrWeMoDPKhm2BRc-NihMdOlKn-s23m-VjYzQr1jwrKYiefovG4rQiWebzU1pFENOajSHSN3QU4vgYMCDG0aw

“Moving Towards ZERO food waste.” Image Credit: @woolworths_au

“Not going to lie – it looks SO good!” gushed a fourth.

“This is how a business should be thinking. Great way to keep bins empty longer.” wrote another.

But not everyone was on board with the initiative, with one saying: “Or… You could give it to the homeless.”

“Of course, it's the Double Bay store that couldn't possibly help a charity with food donations.” pointed out another.

Another suggested: “Even better would be a bread giveaway at the end of each day. That way, the less fortunate can get access to leftovers from the bakery.”

What are your thoughts on Woolworths’ initiative? Share them with us in the comments!

Watch Woolworths’ full TikTok video below:

@Woolworths_au

Sponsored
I have always bought day old bread. Cheaper then fresh, freeze it and it thaws out fresh as a daisy. Why not make your own. Look at the price they charge. Does no one use their brains anymore?

Woolworths took reusing to another level as they revealed that they’re now ‘upscaling’ unsold loaves of bread into a cult-favourite side dish. Sharing on TikTok, the supermarket giant detailed its clever initiative to reduce food waste.

Team members in Woolworths Double Bay (Sydney) have started gathering the unsold loaves of bread at the end of each day to turn them into frozen garlic bread.

“In our stores, we bake fresh bread daily,” one of the employees said in the TikTok video.

“However, sometimes we don’t sell it all. So, in our Double Bay store, we’re reducing food waste by giving these loaves another life in the form of delicious garlic bread.”

“First we cut the bread. But in specific ways for each type of bread. Then we spread the butter onto the bread. Then we let it freeze for 12 hours.”

ubq6pEyWQOIjqA5OCooOloGnaRxHUVmcYL2MVkr7VALxWv07DQn8aKsojiQ5DrmXuYyTv1M61pf1dMtJA8EAWUlHiRt-bQcLmRROkccAA9waD4mDb8pHDmoMq5m9XKb7NM1_SByycnFpFo2lew

The clip gave shoppers a glimpse at how the garlic loaves are made. They are kept in a freezer that’s labelled ‘Moving Towards Zero Waste’, ready for sale at the Double Bay store.

According to the Department of Agriculture, Water, and the Environment, The National Food Waste Strategy Feasibility Study found that Australians waste an estimated 7.6 million tonnes of food annually. This waste is equivalent to 312 kilogrammes per person or around $2,000 to $2,500 per household every year.

The authority also added that food waste accounts for approximately 3% of Australia’s annual greenhouse gas emissions. It is one of the major problems that the country is currently facing.

The TikTok video amassed nearly 220k viewers in 24 hours, with thousands of users in the comments praising the retail giant.

“Please do this in all Woolworths stores. Love the amount of garlic butter too!” commented a third.

eOlx5p4rXEyJiYQjVgz0RLQJIV0qsX50mKv94yQ2f7hPExAnMkxGWY5UOYVYequAQlqwrNN0CBLzn8dCF9zdzl3OlroAclVgVdhYKSC4V599Uv9pmTo8sH7YKDAOAw4k6CjBcE7Y-vHuAgyBjw
F96x-fYilUq7xysEqdiEhxxViPNppfQZgOpySY8V23JRrV8Xy5QNHxVN9i3jumVrWeMoDPKhm2BRc-NihMdOlKn-s23m-VjYzQr1jwrKYiefovG4rQiWebzU1pFENOajSHSN3QU4vgYMCDG0aw

“This is how a business should be thinking. Great way to keep bins empty longer.” wrote another.

But not everyone was on board with the initiative, with one saying: “Or… You could give it to the homeless.”

“Of course, it's the Double Bay store that couldn't possibly help a charity with food donations.” pointed out another.

Another suggested: “Even better would be a bread giveaway at the end of each day. That way, the less fortunate can get access to leftovers from the bakery.”

What are your thoughts on Woolworths’ initiative? Share them with us in the comments!

@Woolworths_au

It seems like a good idea but the big stores usually donate their leftover Brest to charity groups and community aid stores so I guess those in the low socioeconomic status and the needy now miss out

I worked for a supermarket when we used to mark down meat on saturdays and people just waited for the marked down product and hand you packets to mark down

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
How about feeding the homeless? That contributes to zero food waste in a more philanthropic and compassionate way so I guess that’s out of their business model! I’d also be interested to see how much Woollies are charging for day old bread turned into garlic bread…will be more than when fresh, that’s for sure!

@Woolworths_au

I like the idea, also like the idea of them giving unsold bread excess to the homeless or people in need.

@Woolworths_au

If Woolies really want to switch it up, set up a WOOLIES WINTER TOASTIES section near the entry points. From 10.00a.m. used that day old bread with cheese and herbs to make Toasted Woolies Cheesies, and sell them for $3.50-$4.00
People wld love it! Tradies wld love it! Kids & parents wld love it. It is much healthier than giving in to lolly/chip demands.
Woolies cld run a special on inexpensive sandwich makers, highlight different cheeses, and promote dried seasoning that ppl may not think of buying, e.g: Monday hv black pepper + curry, Tuesday basil & onion powder, Wednesday Tuscan seasoning, Thursday Italian herbs, Friday Szechuan pepper.
Great way to use up unsold breads.
Or Cook the garlic bread & sell it hot at lunchtimes.
Really go for it with the big black HOT SOUP POTS (lots secondhand now after lockdowns killed those Soup businesses). Sell a cup of hot soup and a Woolies Toastie!
Toasted sandwiches are best with day old bread.

Last edited:
There is always a table with boxes of left over bread outside the entrance to our doctors for anyone to take. Not sure which store they are from.

Reactions: Ricci
For those of you suggesting giving it to charities they don't accept it due to the fact it is NOT wrapped secondly it has no date on it which could lead to the supermarket being fined. Also giving it away is not an option as the selling guide
Lines on fresh produce are extremely strict you might think this is petty but there are individuals out there they would make money from this..I.e. take the product back for a refund without their receipt. Keep the bread til its mouldy and say they bought it like that...honestly you have no idea how low some people stoop..
It therefore leaves the supermarket wide open to law suits.

I thoroughly endorse what Lisa, Lorraine, Rea & Ricci have mentioned above. I have mates who worked in Supermarkets that were sick & tired of the crazy waste they saw EVERY day, yet people believe it or not ARE starving here in our beautiful country. Woolies, you have my undivided attention what you are doing & ALL LEGAL. There is so much what we can do but legalities @ times are not always what they are cracked up to be. I remember a few years ago a man came up to me in the shopping centre holding a basket of bread with all encased in Coles bags. He wished me "A Happy Easter" & gave me a loaf. I thanked him profusely, even shook his hand & wished him the same. Then I entered the Chemist shop & a woman was outraged telling everyone that a man was handing out "contaminated bread." "they aren't allowed to do it."

That man, & a few others do it every year apparently but I had never met him before. I found him a few minutes later walking home with an empty basket so caught up with him. I NEVER told him what happened in the Chemist Shop. Why spoil his lovely motive in thinking of others? Coles knew as I found out months later that several did it out of their own pockets to "make a Happy Easter" for someone else but themselves.
I KNOW what she looks like. One day...........Another moral to this story is "When I arrived home, I found a little note under the bread with the story of Jesus, reminding me of the loaves & fishes." How beautiful some people can be, just over a little gesture of pure kindness.

• Love
The sticker shows Woolworths marks it Down to $5.60.

DOWN ... to $5.60. How much is full price?

Woolworths, if you want to sell it, mark it down to a reasonable price. $5.60... real bargain. For shame.

@Woolworths_au

I agree with the idea of using the leftover bread for garlic bread; saves wastage & gives this Woolworths store another product for their shelves. I was aware, years ago that certain stores (Not necessarily Woolworths), invited a church l attended to pick up leftover bread, pies, sausage rolls & cakes at the end of each day for distribution to street people & other people who needed these products.