Woolworths slashes manager bonuses after devastating workplace tragedies

Disclaimer: This article explicitly mentions workplace death, which some readers may find distressing. Discretion is advised.

Woolworths is determined to ensure its workplaces remain safe and has now taken action against those found to be liable after two heartbreaking workplace deaths.

In December, tragedy unfolded as 39-year-old contract cleaner Malerato Harrison met her untimely demise. She was pinned against a wall by a rogue floor polisher while servicing a Woolworths store located in Newcastle.

Then, just a few months later, on June 27, 35-year-old Basel ‘Baz’ Brikha was was caught in a fatal incident that also left two other workers injured when a pallet stacker unexpectedly released its load and crushed the worker at a distribution centre in Western Sydney. You can read more on this story here.

SDC Images Rectangle (3).png
Woolworths workplace safety questioned after two tragic workplace deaths. Image source: Wikimedia/Orderinchaos.

Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci faced tough questions from Bank of America Analyst David Arrington, who highlighted the need for improved safety measures during an earnings call.

'Forget about productivity–we’re talking about the basic essentials of keeping workers safe. What should we as investors expect?' Arrington said.

'I’m assuming, in the least, none of your management team are going to get bonuses this year?'

In his ten years with the company, Banducci said the fatalities were the only two he could remember, although there were also two near-misses during the financial year.

He did, however, confirm that the demise of Malerato Harrison was under investigation.

‘There’s a lot of extenuating circumstances, but we feel accountable for what happened.’

Woolworths has strengthened its safety protocols across all its stores and distribution centres and has set up a cleaning service which it uses in 76 of its supermarkets. They also no longer have the pallet-stacker involved in the Sydney accident.

Furthermore, to prevent more of these tragic incidents from happening, Woolworths has reviewed every piece of equipment they use in all their chains and services as both deaths were equipment-related, according to Banducci.

‘We’re coming back more broadly on the topic of safety and how we validate all of our safety procedures,’ he said.

Lastly, as a way to show their commitment to a safe workplace, Woolworths has decided to reduce the bonuses of senior management by 10 per cent this financial year. These consequences may become more severe if further investigations uncover any lapses in safety procedures.

The Role of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) in Preventing Such Incidents

Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) protocols are an absolute workplace necessity. These guidelines assist in identifying possible hazards and defining appropriate mitigation actions. As per Safe Work Australia, a 13 per cent decrease in serious workers' compensation claims was noted from 2000 to 2019, highlighting the impact of effective OHS measures at a national level.

The relevance of continual safety training and effective risk communication cannot be stressed enough. Regular safety drills, easy access to safety equipment, and mandatory safety orientations for recruits are a few elements that shape a secure workplace.

In the wake of these tragic events, businesses must scrutinise their health and safety protocols to ensure a risk-free workspace.

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has reviewed all equipment in their businesses and reduced senior managers' bonuses following the deaths of two workers.
  • The fatalities included a contract cleaner crushed by a floor polisher and an employee crushed by pallets at a distribution centre.
  • Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci faced harsh criticism during an earnings call, with analysts questioning the supermarket's safety standards.
What are your thoughts on this story? Is Woolworths doing enough to prevent further tragedies? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I can never understand the concept of bonuses. These CEOs are already well paid and it is the underlings that do all the work for these companies. They are really just the head and are rarely hands on. The amount of hard work and extra duties done by the store team when a manager was coming into the store was mind boggling when I worked. And they would prance around getting everyone grovelling. Made me so mad. And then get a bonus when targets were met ..... by the floor team, who often got no recognition for their hard work.

I don't remember getting any bonuses when I worked at Woollies, but then I was only a checkout chick. I don't think management should get bonus's. They get paid enough.

Reactions: terri and Gaena
By penalising management it "may " make them think about safety rather than preaching safety,and passing the blame to employees.
Once worked for an international company that made you attend and sign that this safety routine had to be followed. All well and good, made sense?
Until you went back to the factory floor and put the companys instructions into practice. When questioned by management why l was sitting instead of standing . Explained their safety meeting instructions to not stand continually for 12 hours in the one spot but to alternate between sitting and standing and moving around if possible. Told that was not the way to work on the lines.
What management had done was pass safety responsibilities onto the employee. If one was injured they were very quick to pull out the signed paperwork of safety meetings.
Management needs to be held accountable for their actions. Fining them is possibly the first step to making them wake up.

The trucking sector is a very good example of this. They get told they must be somewhere by a certain time after pickup. They get held up at pickup for 5/6 hours. Once loaded are told they still have to meet deadlines

Reactions: Ricki
Disclaimer: This article explicitly mentions workplace death, which some readers may find distressing. Discretion is advised.

Woolworths is determined to ensure its workplaces remain safe and has now taken action against those found to be liable after two heartbreaking workplace deaths.

In December, tragedy unfolded as 39-year-old contract cleaner Malerato Harrison met her untimely demise. She was pinned against a wall by a rogue floor polisher while servicing a Woolworths store located in Newcastle.

Then, just a few months later, on June 27, 35-year-old Basel ‘Baz’ Brikha was was caught in a fatal incident that also left two other workers injured when a pallet stacker unexpectedly released its load and crushed the worker at a distribution centre in Western Sydney. You can read more on this story here.

View attachment 28181
Woolworths workplace safety questioned after two tragic workplace deaths. Image source: Wikimedia/Orderinchaos.

Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci faced tough questions from Bank of America Analyst David Arrington, who highlighted the need for improved safety measures during an earnings call.

'Forget about productivity–we’re talking about the basic essentials of keeping workers safe. What should we as investors expect?' Arrington said.

'I’m assuming, in the least, none of your management team are going to get bonuses this year?'

In his ten years with the company, Banducci said the fatalities were the only two he could remember, although there were also two near-misses during the financial year.

He did, however, confirm that the demise of Malerato Harrison was under investigation.

‘There’s a lot of extenuating circumstances, but we feel accountable for what happened.’

Woolworths has strengthened its safety protocols across all its stores and distribution centres and has set up a cleaning service which it uses in 76 of its supermarkets. They also no longer have the pallet-stacker involved in the Sydney accident.

Furthermore, to prevent more of these tragic incidents from happening, Woolworths has reviewed every piece of equipment they use in all their chains and services as both deaths were equipment-related, according to Banducci.

‘We’re coming back more broadly on the topic of safety and how we validate all of our safety procedures,’ he said.

Lastly, as a way to show their commitment to a safe workplace, Woolworths has decided to reduce the bonuses of senior management by 10 per cent this financial year. These consequences may become more severe if further investigations uncover any lapses in safety procedures.

The Role of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) in Preventing Such Incidents

Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) protocols are an absolute workplace necessity. These guidelines assist in identifying possible hazards and defining appropriate mitigation actions. As per Safe Work Australia, a 13 per cent decrease in serious workers' compensation claims was noted from 2000 to 2019, highlighting the impact of effective OHS measures at a national level.

The relevance of continual safety training and effective risk communication cannot be stressed enough. Regular safety drills, easy access to safety equipment, and mandatory safety orientations for recruits are a few elements that shape a secure workplace.

In the wake of these tragic events, businesses must scrutinise their health and safety protocols to ensure a risk-free workspace.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has reviewed all equipment in their businesses and reduced senior managers' bonuses following the deaths of two workers.
  • The fatalities included a contract cleaner crushed by a floor polisher and an employee crushed by pallets at a distribution centre.
  • Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci faced harsh criticism during an earnings call, with analysts questioning the supermarket's safety standards.
What are your thoughts on this story? Is Woolworths doing enough to prevent further tragedies? Let us know in the comments below!
Be aware what is going on around you is all I can say... you should see the woking conditions in some of the poorer countries.....

Reactions: Macarj
I can never understand the concept of bonuses. These CEOs are already well paid and it is the underlings that do all the work for these companies. They are really just the head and are rarely hands on. The amount of hard work and extra duties done by the store team when a manager was coming into the store was mind boggling when I worked. And they would prance around getting everyone grovelling. Made me so mad. And then get a bonus when targets were met ..... by the floor team, who often got no recognition for their hard work.
When I am told the bigwigs are coming, I am just like 'meh'!

When I am told the bigwigs are coming, I am just like 'meh'!
A facade.... they never know the real problems. I never spent a cent when there was a visit by the upper echelons... 'What you see is what you get' on the budgets YOU provide. They could stick that in their pipes and smoke it.