Woolworths shopper causes stir with self-checkout incident: ‘Machines are not our friends.’

One big change that many supermarkets have implemented over the years is self-serve checkouts, which help reduce contact and queues.

Woolworths is one of the supermarket chains commonly associated with the technology, and they've earlier updated their systems with a new 'Pick List Assist' feature.

This update automatically detects the type of fruit or vegetable you're purchasing at self-serve checkouts by using image recognition, allowing you to click on the correct variety.

While it may seem like a small change, it's actually made a big difference for customers – especially those who are short on time or doing their shopping solo. No more holding up the queue while you ask someone for help!

However, one shopper's recent experience at her local Woolies has sparked intense discussions online… and it involves red capsicum.

Taking to Reddit, Woolies shopper ‘RubyChooseday’ shared her experience using the supermarket’s ‘Pick List Assist’ feature.

Her story, titled ‘Woolies checkout is a narc’, started when she chose a self-serve counter as the store only had one checkout open.

pexels-photo-1274614.jpg
The shopper’s woes started with a simple mistake involving capsicums. Credit: Pexels/Nick Collins

‘(I was) quickly scanning the items, searching fruits and veggies with a rapid tap-tap-tap, and inadvertently hit yellow rather than red capsicum,’ she said.

The prices of the two similar products were the same, so she didn’t bother correcting the error and asked: ‘No big deal, right?’

Unfortunately…

‘Nope. This little dibber dobber calls over staff, shows them photos of the offending capsicums, and promptly cancels the caps,’ she said.

With the items cancelled, she said the self-checkout required another login from staff, which was then followed by a repeat of the product scans.

She also shared that when one staffer clicked a few buttons, images of the red capsicums she mistakenly encoded as yellow ones were on display.

Not missing how the entire situation appeared to someone unfamiliar with her accidental entry, she later commented that the incident happened at an NSW Woolies ‘where apparently we can’t be trusted’.

Irritated, she said, ‘Machines are not our friends.’

Many others sympathised with her embarrassing self-checkout experience and gave their own stories.

‘I sometimes use the brown paper mushroom bags for other fresh produce items to avoid plastic. I did this recently with beans — typed in “beans” to weigh them, but the checkout alerted a staff member because it was videoing the mushroom bag.’ one user shared.

‘The staff member checked the bag then watched the rest of my shop like a hawk…’

‘I accidentally tapped on the wrong variety of apple and was pulled up for it. I have never been so embarrassed in my life. Arrested over apples?’ said a second one.

Another chimed in: ‘One other time I got a "You have something in your trolley you forgot to scan"... it was my four-year-old (child).’

pexels-photo-4047286.jpg
Other shoppers shared their own retail horror stories. Credit: Pexels/Jack Sparrow

Thankfully, amid the chorus of complaints, one user offered a possible explanation why a simple wrong input can be a big deal.

‘It helps with inventory management,’ they said.

‘As someone who used to manage a grocery department. It used to s**t me up the wall when people would scan the same flavour of tuna or shapes because they were all the same price even though they had bought multiple flavours.’

‘Enough people doing that and your stock counts end up f**ked. The auto-ordering system sends you a bunch of s**t you can't put on the shelf because it thinks you're a carton short of a specific item, while another isn't found in-store.’

That aside, surveys revealed that a record number of Aussies have resorted to using self-checkout counters to steal, so perhaps the vigilance on supermarkets’ ends isn’t unwarranted.

On the other hand, customers shouldn’t be made to feel like they’re under suspicion for honest mistakes anyone can commit while using self-checkouts.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper has sparked discussions online after sharing an experience at the self-serve checkout of her local store.
  • Sharing on Reddit, the shopper explained how she had been using a self-checkout fitted with Woolworths’ 'Pick List Assist' technology and had accidentally clicked on the wrong type of capsicum.
  • The self-checkout refused to allow any more transactions, alerting staff to the error.
  • Many sympathised with the shopper, sharing similar experiences. But others suggested that it was the actions of some untrustworthy customers that had lead Woolworths to take action.
Speaking of self-checkouts, Coles has unveiled a new feature said to make using them way easier.

You might also want to take a peek at how other members see these machines. Spoiler alert: many members aren’t big fans!

So, what is your reaction to this Woolies shopper’s self-checkout experience? How would you feel if people thought you were stealing over a simple mistake?

Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Sponsored
One big change that many supermarkets have implemented over the years is self-serve checkouts, which help reduce contact and queues.

Woolworths is one of the supermarket chains commonly associated with the technology, and they've earlier updated their systems with a new 'Pick List Assist' feature.

This update automatically detects the type of fruit or vegetable you're purchasing at self-serve checkouts by using image recognition, allowing you to click on the correct variety.

While it may seem like a small change, it's actually made a big difference for customers – especially those who are short on time or doing their shopping solo. No more holding up the queue while you ask someone for help!

However, one shopper's recent experience at her local Woolies has sparked intense discussions online… and it involves red capsicum.

Taking to Reddit, Woolies shopper ‘RubyChooseday’ shared her experience using the supermarket’s ‘Pick List Assist’ feature.

Her story, titled ‘Woolies checkout is a narc’, started when she chose a self-serve counter as the store only had one checkout open.

View attachment 8889
The shopper’s woes started with a simple mistake involving capsicums. Credit: Pexels/Nick Collins

‘(I was) quickly scanning the items, searching fruits and veggies with a rapid tap-tap-tap, and inadvertently hit yellow rather than red capsicum,’ she said.

The prices of the two similar products were the same, so she didn’t bother correcting the error and asked: ‘No big deal, right?’

Unfortunately…

‘Nope. This little dibber dobber calls over staff, shows them photos of the offending capsicums, and promptly cancels the caps,’ she said.

With the items cancelled, she said the self-checkout required another login from staff, which was then followed by a repeat of the product scans.

She also shared that when one staffer clicked a few buttons, images of the red capsicums she mistakenly encoded as yellow ones were on display.

Not missing how the entire situation appeared to someone unfamiliar with her accidental entry, she later commented that the incident happened at an NSW Woolies ‘where apparently we can’t be trusted’.

Many others sympathised with her embarrassing self-checkout experience and gave their own stories.

‘I sometimes use the brown paper mushroom bags for other fresh produce items to avoid plastic. I did this recently with beans — typed in “beans” to weigh them, but the checkout alerted a staff member because it was videoing the mushroom bag.’ one user shared.

‘The staff member checked the bag then watched the rest of my shop like a hawk…’

‘I accidentally tapped on the wrong variety of apple and was pulled up for it. I have never been so embarrassed in my life. Arrested over apples?’ said a second one.

Another chimed in: ‘One other time I got a "You have something in your trolley you forgot to scan"... it was my four-year-old (child).’

View attachment 8890
Other shoppers shared their own retail horror stories. Credit: Pexels/Jack Sparrow

Thankfully, amid the chorus of complaints, one user offered a possible explanation why a simple wrong input can be a big deal.

‘As someone who used to manage a grocery department. It used to s**t me up the wall when people would scan the same flavour of tuna or shapes because they were all the same price even though they had bought multiple flavours.’

‘Enough people doing that and your stock counts end up f**ked. The auto-ordering system sends you a bunch of s**t you can't put on the shelf because it thinks you're a carton short of a specific item, while another isn't found in-store.’

That aside, surveys revealed that a record number of Aussies have resorted to using self-checkout counters to steal, so perhaps the vigilance on supermarkets’ ends isn’t unwarranted.

On the other hand, customers shouldn’t be made to feel like they’re under suspicion for honest mistakes anyone can commit while using self-checkouts.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper has sparked discussions online after sharing an experience at the self-serve checkout of her local store.
  • Sharing on Reddit, the shopper explained how she had been using a self-checkout fitted with Woolworths’ 'Pick List Assist' technology and had accidentally clicked on the wrong type of capsicum.
  • The self-checkout refused to allow any more transactions, alerting staff to the error.
  • Many sympathised with the shopper, sharing similar experiences. But others suggested that it was the actions of some untrustworthy customers that had lead Woolworths to take action.
Speaking of self-checkouts, Coles has unveiled a new feature said to make using them way easier.

You might also want to take a peek at how other members see these machines. Spoiler alert: many members aren’t big fans!

So, what is your reaction to this Woolies shopper’s self-checkout experience? How would you feel if people thought you were stealing over a simple mistake?

I don't work for Coles or Woolworths so why should I do unpaid work? When they give me a discount on my total shopping bill I might start using the self-serve checkouts. Until then I will not assist them to make people redundant.
Banks and Insurance companies are the same, they're all trying to get the customers to do more and more of their work without having to pay for it. They make $BILLIONS of profit every year and still try to suck every last cent out of us.

Unfortunately it's another case of the few ruining it for the many. I'm sure that the vast majority of the people who use the self-service checkouts are honest but by the time you get to the checkout you are already feeling frazzled and just want to get out of there. Honest mistakes do happen but unfortunately we are all tarred by the same brush as those who try to rort the system. :(

I don’t mind self-serve, as it’s often faster than waiting queues. I have a friend who has worked for Woollies for years, and I have learned a lot about the reason for some of these new systems from talking with her.

1) fewer staff help to keep costs lower, and we all appreciate that
2) people will often deliberately scan say, Lady Finger bananas as Cavendish because the Cavendish are usually cheaper per kg, and numerous other swap-outs
3) customers will work in teams, with one person or pair deliberately causing a kerfuffle to distract the staff member/s in self-serve, so others in the group can walk out without paying. In one instance, a chap even punched the manager, resulting in many staff and shoppers coming to the downed man’s aide. Several shoppers left without paying, and one charmer even stole bags from other shoppers’ carts while they weren’t looking.
4) inventory is vital to the smooth running of the store, and no store is wanting complaints. For example, I buy several boxes of Avalanche 99% sugar-free drink products when I shop. I scan individually, because usually at least one of them is on special. I have seen others scanning *only* the one on special, multiple times. I certainly let them know if my Chai Latte is out of stock!
5) as for the billions profit they make each year - I’ve never read a supermarket’s financial records, but I do know these new innovations don’t come cheap. While they lose so much to theft & deceit, it’s ultimately the customer who pays - that’s the nature of business.

There are many other factors, too, but right now, that’s all I can recall!

View attachment 8889

Unfortunately…

View attachment 8890

Key Takeaways

If I am expected to key in for every different tin of tuna (even though same price) they have another thing coming. I am not being paid to do their stocktake! A real darn cheek to expect that of customers.

View attachment 8889

Unfortunately…

View attachment 8890

Key Takeaways

I Never use these “ Things “

View attachment 8889

Unfortunately…

View attachment 8890

Key Takeaways

I Never use these “ Things “ , For One they are doing people out of a job , and Two You have to queue up to use them so really no Time Saving . ( Only wages for the Stores )

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
I have not been to a woollies store for months. Luckily the one I used to use has no self serves in it. I know we are always seen as being behind in Brisbane but we are not. I only shop at Aldi so whereas we have to pack our own bags, the savings are worth it. Anything that can't be bought at Aldi my son will pick up at Woollies & when he goes to pay there it is up to him!

Reactions: MRP, RTS and Ricci

View attachment 8889

Unfortunately…

View attachment 8890

Key Takeaways

This why I won't use self serve checkouts. On the rare occasions that I had to use them, something always goes wrong. Mind you I did realise that you have to check your items being scanned when using a normal staff assisted checkout, as I got home to find that they had charged me for the dearer gourmet tomatoes instead of truss tomatoes and another product that was on sale they charged me full price. By the time I'd realised it, I'd already unpacked everything and couldn't be bothered to get back in the car and drive back to the supermarket, fuel cost is too expensive.

I never thought I was technologically challenged until these monsters were introduced. I’ve never used one yet that I haven’t made a mistake and required assistance. Now,I’m scared of the savage beasts and would much rather face a nice friendly check out person and a long line.

What a bad attitude that Woolies staff member had with the customer.
I use the self service sometimes, and when I do, I never pack them as I take the items in the trolley to pack them myself at the car.
The quicker I can leave the better.
Supermarkets say they put trust in their customers, however I'm sure there would be a % who aren't honest.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 8889

Unfortunately…

View attachment 8890

Key Takeaways

I hate dishonest people! makes it bad for the rest of us! & also increases prices

Reactions: Ricci