Woolworths rolls out body cameras for staff despite concerns

In a move that has stirred considerable debate, Woolworths has begun outfitting its staff with body cameras in an effort to enhance safety measures.

This initiative, which has already been implemented across New Zealand and is currently being trialled in Australia, is facing pushback from the retail workers' union.

According to Woolworths, the introduction of body cameras came as a response to a troubling rise in violence against retail staff.

The supermarket giant has cited an uptick in aggressive incidents, including physical assaults and threats involving weapons, as the impetus behind the new safety protocol.

In December, Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci highlighted the severity of the situation and said, ‘We have had team members punched, spat on and other recent incidents including threats with a range of weapons from baseball bats, iron bars to knives.’

shutterstock_1438248014.jpg
Woolworths and Coles have increased their use of body-worn cameras in order to better protect their staff from potential abuse from customers Image Source: Shutterstock / John Gomez

However, the Retail and Fast Food Workers Union (RAFFWU) was sceptical about the effectiveness of body cameras, as it claimed the devices are converting low-wage employees into 'walking CCTVs'.

Josh Cullinan, the Secretary of RAFFWU, voiced his opposition when he said, ‘We've not heard of any workers wanting to wear them, they're seen as a device which creates conflict rather than de-escalate or avoid conflict.’

He noted how workers must notify shoppers before recording, further antagonising them.

The union is also critical of Woolworths's approach, suggesting that the responsibility to address abuse is unfairly placed on the workers.

‘The body cams have definitely had a negative effect on workers, it's making workers a walking CCTV in circumstances where other systems to protect them are not being used,’ Cullinan said.

‘They're not cops, they're not security guards...no one wants to wear them,’ he added.

The RAFFWU argued that more substantial changes are needed, such as revising the enterprise agreements to include safety clauses and improving workplace conditions rather than relying on body cameras as a deterrent.

Woolworths has remained secretive about the specifics of the body camera rollout, declining to disclose the number of stores or team members currently using the devices.

The cameras are part of a broader package of team safety initiatives, including in-store announcements and posters to remind shoppers to treat retail staff with respect.

The controversy extends beyond Woolworths, as Coles, the nation's second-largest supermarket, has also started trialling body cams in select stores across South Australia, Victoria, Western Australia, and Queensland.

The outcome of these trials and whether Coles will expand the program remains to be seen.

As body camera trials and rollouts progress, we're seeing a rise in stories wherein this footage plays a significant role.

In a previous story, a supermarket was in a peculiar battle when body cam footage captured this bizarre incident and was later used as evidence in the subsequent lawsuit.

You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths is rolling out body cameras for their workers across New Zealand as a response to the increase in violence against retail staff, with trials also conducted in Australian stores.
  • The Retail and Fast Food Workers Union (RAFFWU) opposes the use of body cams, suggesting they create more conflict rather than preventing it and pointing out that workers must notify customers before recording.
  • Woolworths claims the body cams are part of a broader package of team safety initiatives introduced following incidents of staff being physically threatened and assaulted.
  • RAFFWU criticises the move as shifting the responsibility of preventing abuse onto workers without implementing more effective changes in workplace conditions, such as updating the enterprise agreements.
Have you noticed body cameras on staff during your shopping trips? Do these measures increase your sense of safety or make you uncomfortable? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
It's a sad state of affairs that companies have to go to these measures to protect staff against abusive and violent customers. We need to look more at how we stop this aggressive attitude and hate toward one another and how we can get back the pleasant approachable habits that once existed. It seems that many groups in our society are becoming so selfish and entitled.

Hello,on this article of woolworths staff wearing body cameras, I noticed some time back that a K mart employee was wearing body device to monitor shopping personal, , so asked as if that was recording, then I whould not proceed with any further if it was. how rude can these shops get?

• Sad
Reactions: Bridgit
I agree with Jo above. It may help when people steal as well. Dont forget it we who buy at these stores pay in the cost of our purchases for these thieves.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
Hello,on this article of woolworths staff wearing body cameras, I noticed some time back that a K mart employee was wearing body device to monitor shopping personal, , so asked as if that was recording, then I whould not proceed with any further if it was. how rude can these shops get?
Unfortunately it's become necessary because of the abuse and physical violence of their staff by rude and entitled customers.

What would be the reaction from the supermarkets IF I wore a body camera when shopping? Even a mobile phone in video mode would suffice.

Any objection by the supermarket would be met with equal and more objection from me. Supermarkets are overreaching in their "security" measures to the extent that a simple shopping expedition becomes an exercise in negotiating a retail minefield.

I work in Retail, Ladies Fashion & have been assaulted by little thugs, around 12 - 15 yrs old. We have no CCTV instore. So they got away with it. I would gladly wear it if it was available to me. Big W in Tassie have had them for ages & has greatly helped them.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
What would be the reaction from the supermarkets IF I wore a body camera when shopping? Even a mobile phone in video mode would suffice.

Any objection by the supermarket would be met with equal and more objection from me. Supermarkets are overreaching in their "security" measures to the extent that a simple shopping expedition becomes an exercise in negotiating a retail minefield.
Hmmmmm .... gives me an idea.... wear a body cam wherever you go...especially supermarkets...... I bet they will jump up and down saying you are not allowed to film inside a store..... company policy..... right show me.... I want to see it in writing....

• Love
Reactions: Veggiepatch