Woolworths reveals truth behind 'spy camera' in-store

In an era where privacy concerns are at an all-time high, the sight of a flashing red light in the fruit section of Woolworths has sparked a wave of speculation and concern among Australian shoppers.

Theories of new 'spy cameras' have been circulating, causing a stir and even leading some to call for a boycott of the supermarket giant.

But is there any truth to these claims, or is it all just a misunderstanding?

The controversy began with a video posted on social media, showing a red light flashing on top of a nectarine's digital price tag.

The video was captioned with a comment about the light being a new addition to Woolworths' suite of security cameras.

SDC Images (19).png
A flashing red light found at a Woolworths store has sparked a discussion online. Image source: TikTok (left), Shutterstock (right).

The post quickly gained traction, with some viewers taking it seriously and expressing their outrage.

'I don't shop there anymore. I'd rather help the farmer out who is not spying and ripping us off,' one person commented.

'Really, what next? Soon all the staff will lose their jobs too,' another added, voicing their frustration.

However, others were quick to point out that the red light was not a camera, with one saying, 'It's nothing but a digital tag that connects to a system to update prices in real-time.'

This was later confirmed by Woolworths, who explained that the flashing lights are not cameras but 'lights' designed to 'help personal shoppers quickly identify the next item on their list'.

'Our personal shoppers use a handheld device with a shopping list based on customers’ online orders,' a Woolworths spokesperson explained.

'It is synced with the lights on our digital tickets so that it’s easier to find each item.'

Launched in 2022, the spokesperson said the initiative has helped the team save time and increase the accuracy of their selections.

You can watch the full video below:

Video source: TikTok/@throty101.

The confusion and concern over the red lights at Woolworths highlight the growing tension between consumers and retailers over the use of surveillance technology.

In recent years, supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths have ramped up their security measures to combat theft, leading to mixed reactions from shoppers.

Last Wednesday, a customer using a wheelchair reported that Coles security gates 'slammed shut' on him while he exited the gates with his paid items, raising safety concerns about the new security technology.

In September, Coles confirmed that staff at a select number of Aussie stores would be fitted with new body cams as part of a trial phase in 30 stores across four states.

In early 2023, Woolworths began to trial new camera technology, adding more than 500 cameras in one NSW store to monitor stock levels.

While these measures are designed to protect businesses from theft, they have also sparked debates about privacy and the feeling of being treated as potential criminals.
Key Takeaways
  • A social media post about new 'spy cameras' in the fruit section of Woolworths prompted mixed reactions amongst shoppers.
  • The flashing red light spotted on a nectarine's digital price tag was confirmed by Woolworths to be a light to assist personal shoppers, not a camera.
  • Woolworths launched an initiative in 2022 using lights on digital tickets to save time and increase accuracy for personal shoppers fulfilling online orders.
  • There has been public concern and mixed reviews regarding increased security measures in supermarkets, highlighted by incidents and trials of new technology such as body cams and extensive camera surveillance.
What are your thoughts on the use of this technology in supermarkets? Do you feel such surveillance is necessary to prevent theft, or is it only making shoppers uncomfortable? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Boy, oh boy ... I've seen some lame excuses in my time, but Woolworths' one that these LED lights "help personal shoppers find the next item on their list" has got to top "the dog ate my homework" in terms of idiocy and outright stupidity.
Are we to believe that, in these days of booming artificial intelligence, Woolies reckon they have what's on your shopping list down pat, with a little light flashing on top of a price tag leading you on to your next stop in your "shopping experiemce"? The bloody things are about the same size as a match head and you can hardly see them from two steps away.
How can they possibly expect us to believe that they know nectarines (in the example shown above) were number 2, or 7, or 18 on somebody's list? If we were living in the days of Orwell's 1984 you'd reckon Big Brother would know what you've put down so you could mooch on along the aisles, one stupefied step after the other, to your next item and dutifully buy that particular brand in preference to the one next door to it on the shelf.
But then, in today's race to the bottom as far as grey matter is concerned, maybe some shoppers do need a little bit of help to get them into and out of the supermarket's front door ...

Talking about grey matter…… no never mind!!
The “personal shoppers” mentioned are the employees who, while using electronic devices, collect the items that customers order online. They are not the average shopper who like, and have the time, to roam the shelves themselves.

There is so much theft from stores these days. I don't see any reason to object to the red light indicator. I accept the reasons behind the light, sounds great. And I also agree with any anti-theft technology being brought in. Where has good sound common sense gone these days.

Those digital tags! What a waste of effort. You can't read them especially if they're up high or down low, if light is reflecting off them or especially if they're in the spices/herbs section where there are two items on the one tag space and it's impossible to see the small print denoting price per 10g. Furthermore, it's a chore to see what's on special as opposed to the previous bright yellow tags. Not that Woolies specials are anything to write home about, particularly as so many are "Buy 2 for..." when I only want one, so I buy none.

It's an electronic (wifi) activated prices tag, the flashing like most electronics is a signal indicating it is working. Aldi price tags are ALL electronic and adjusted simultaneously with their registers. Another classic over blown story that will soon become in some readers minds, actual

Oh dear if this is all they have to worry about in their miserable day they need to go back to bed! It is the era of the perpetually outraged over nothing - if you are not doing the wrong thing then why are you concerned? All this hoo haa over every little thing has gotten so boring - the trouble is why they are raising their blood pressure over nothing they are missing the real things in life that matter. Geez they used to say "whinging Poms" well I have news for them - we win hands down ! If they need to feel important then get out there and help those in need for pity's sake.

I don’t see them on their knees grovelling 🤷‍♀️
Boycott, boycott, boycott and never go back.... I did more than 20 years ago.... bring them to their knees and keep them grovelling....
How's that boycott going? :ROFLMAO: :LOL: The complaints circle around the 2 majors making billion dollar profits (more likely from booze or gambling) than a 20 year grudge that doesn't appear to have hurt the bottom line. Guarantee your superannuation is a reasonably large shareholder of both Woolies & Coles. Have you asked them why? The average 5% return on investment is not excessive, nor is the retailers trying to stop thieving, which the honest customers end up paying for. :whistle:

I saw a documentary that was a study on animal behaviour.
One of the things they tested was how they reacted to being filmed. Yep, there was a red light.
The chimps were really cute. Eyeballs right up to the lens.
Hmm... human behaviour when being filmed. This could be another earth shattering research project. Make sure you comb your eyebrows before venturing out to trolley jockey.

The red lights are nothing more than LED'S light emitting diodes. It is not possible for them to record anything. Impossible.
Only a camera with a lens is able to be used to record anything/images.
Afraid to say it's often conspiracy advocates who start rumours and scaremongering of their theories.
Often people research many things and accept the results as facts without paying any attention to where or who the information came from.
If you look hard enough you can always find dubious facts that play into conspiracy theories.
Ask yourself is the information/research from a reliable source?
For example, there are many people saying that 5/G is so bad for us. It's a fact that 5/G is a non-ionizing microwave, so causes no harm.
If 5/G was so bad how do the alleged people who promote this protect themselves from 5/G??
Do they live underground??
Just saying.
Looking forward to all the "it's a conspiracy" people's comments.

Reactions: Colette 3799
Another thing for vandals to wreck.
What's the point? Save staff having to go around and change a tag? Save paper and in as well?
Still wouldn't put it past the that there is spy tech in that red light just like some traffic lights have on the roads.

Those digital tags! What a waste of effort. You can't read them especially if they're up high or down low, if light is reflecting off them or especially if they're in the spices/herbs section where there are two items on the one tag space and it's impossible to see the small print denoting price per 10g. Furthermore, it's a chore to see what's on special as opposed to the previous bright yellow tags. Not that Woolies specials are anything to write home about, particularly as so many are "Buy 2 for..." when I only want one, so I buy none.
Well if you only want 1 item why don't you buy 1? I do all the time if I only want 1 - just because it says buy 2 for doesn't mean you have to.

Reactions: Colette 3799
How's that boycott going? :ROFLMAO: :LOL: The complaints circle around the 2 majors making billion dollar profits (more likely from booze or gambling) than a 20 year grudge that doesn't appear to have hurt the bottom line. Guarantee your superannuation is a reasonably large shareholder of both Woolies & Coles. Have you asked them why? The average 5% return on investment is not excessive, nor is the retailers trying to stop thieving, which the honest customers end up paying for. :whistle:
Too many stupid people still shopping at Colles & Woollies and still whinging about them....