Woolworths reminisces about their old logos and sends users on a nostalgic trip – “Great memories!”

Have you ever thought about how much things have changed over the years? Woolworths, now a supermarket giant, recently posted a TikTok video detailing how much has changed from back when it was merely a bargain store.

One of the employees who also runs the supermarket chain’s page, Liam Kirley, revealed various Woolies logos dating all the way back to 1928 and it clocked over 121.8 thousand views in a span of four days.

“Our current Woolworths logo which was unveiled in 2008– but there have been many logos Woolworths has had.” he said, displaying a photo of the current, green-coloured logo that we’re accustomed to seeing.

“This charming ‘W’ was introduced in 1928 at Pitt Street Mall (Sydney) when it was a bargain basement,” Liam explained.

MZ63UvYNsZBEqbe1jjJ2je60tvri5GZH3sc4ShWuYDX_Iu_BqfTrsjNpgK9_aWQWsoJBVGNKeLKcMRukHkbFqFhjbxefsYFG22Y1eri2Ebo0mp34Pp1juT7r9tDXZO_33PcuCP72
rXRqoxbXOc4bus_dvlfcxr46sWGAQAn3PgJqXFKALRZFW28VHtFcXee0LEmx-pLx_EJTKBjiIW5la9p761FbXzVjpFyGa6hnTKotKt2Kck_Gt5_XVLMzgHs26ktMg1DCinTLHQJb

The 1982 and 1930 logos. Image Credit: @woolworths_au

Two years later, the logo font changed as well as the background, switching to one that’s in a shade of red. “From 1930 to 1959 we had this logo.” he shared before proceeding to the next.

“In 1960 this was our new logo and that is the Southern Cross because Woolworths is in Australia and New Zealand.” he explained.

The 1960 logo changed completely, with a solid red upper case ‘W’ inside the upper part of a triangle and five-star symbols scattered below it. The triangle is white on the inside and features a thin black outline.

z7Gs-oNj4r5TacilQSBsdaGIcJVsSxUETJiPkn6eOTaVrBcNYi7Ta1kS7k-uf7UN7xPzVQAi84KUF50kqQnyLCDf6v_msdKf6DfFAPF6Dr8kf8tmQCg-GAjKiv16K1Q-HCGKYGb4
t4AVlWcmJtyzctceNdQlOQD6qUF9YEVG5ySmYBeZFNUOqgsqTtL9SxQm7G-dObCrXUbO3kYrYUaNl0_BAkOlTIiG-utvYe74HREcv_KkpwpzNsUYqttNKesm9vKf2lLNtLXTBmFE

The 1960 and 1972 logos. Image Credit: @woolworths_au

“In 1972 we had this ‘W’,” Liam said, revealing once more how much the logo evolved since the 60s. During this era, the ‘W’ icon illustrated two identical shopping bags placed side-by-side, according to the Woolies website.

Moving onto the year 1987, where Woolworths first introduced its slogan ‘The Fresh Food People,’ which is still used today in selected Australian locations such as Eastwood and Booragoon.

bkXRaXK_tyE2FZlJ8IWbkkOkAzFxS3prnbran4dANnEsQg11PCLN1uwn7bUcwStum1aNIrPSm6606yI0U6TJKn0SOC6QMYDSRmwx3awutgyiWvO5dZHVPiZlaQ9vv5DPDds7nMw4

The fan-favourite, 1987 logo. Image Credit: @woolworths_au

The design boasts an italicised phrase in green, placed above the red ‘Woolworths’ wordmark between three red-and-white bars.

“That’s when we started calling ourselves ‘The Fresh Food People’ and a new logo,” Liam said, concluding the video.

Thousands of TikTok users swarmed the comments section in awe of Woolworth’s logo evolution.

“1972 is so iconic!! So nostalgic.” wrote one person.

“OMG, I remember the logo before this (current) one… nostalgia.” said another.

“Bring back the 1972 logo!” suggested a third.

But one logo seems to be the favourite of the majority and it’s the one from the 80s.

“I used to be obsessed with these types of stuff and I think that the 1987 logo will always be the best and good looking one.” one user said.

“I still remember the 1987 logo even though it was a few years ago until they renovated. It was even on the trolleys,” another recalled.

“The 87’ logo is the greatest!” added a third while another agreed, referring to it as “the goat” (Greatest Of All Time).

However, some begged to differ, arguing: “ I love the current logo but the W one looks OK”.

Which Woolworths logo is your favourite? Share it with us in the comments!

Want to see Liam’s TikTok video? Watch it below:

Video Credit: @woolworths_au

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
I am not a fan of modernised Letter logo's that you have no idea why they even changed in the first place. In Woolies case I much prefer the 1987 branding shown here.

Reactions: Ricci
Woolies is no longer the fresh food people.
Buy fruit and veggies and they only last 2-3 days. Carrots often go soggy in a day or 2.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: Elbe and Ricci
Woolworths reminisces about their old logos and sends users on a nostalgic trip – “Great memories!”

Have you ever thought about how much things have changed over the years? Woolworths, now a supermarket giant, recently posted a TikTok video detailing how much has changed from back when it was merely a bargain store.

One of the employees who also runs the supermarket chain’s page, Liam Kirley, revealed various Woolies logos dating all the way back to 1928 and it clocked over 121.8 thousand views in a span of four days.

“Our current Woolworths logo which was unveiled in 2008– but there have been many logos Woolworths has had.” he said, displaying a photo of the current, green-coloured logo that we’re accustomed to seeing.

“This charming ‘W’ was introduced in 1928 at Pitt Street Mall (Sydney) when it was a bargain basement,” Liam explained.

MZ63UvYNsZBEqbe1jjJ2je60tvri5GZH3sc4ShWuYDX_Iu_BqfTrsjNpgK9_aWQWsoJBVGNKeLKcMRukHkbFqFhjbxefsYFG22Y1eri2Ebo0mp34Pp1juT7r9tDXZO_33PcuCP72
rXRqoxbXOc4bus_dvlfcxr46sWGAQAn3PgJqXFKALRZFW28VHtFcXee0LEmx-pLx_EJTKBjiIW5la9p761FbXzVjpFyGa6hnTKotKt2Kck_Gt5_XVLMzgHs26ktMg1DCinTLHQJb

Two years later, the logo font changed as well as the background, switching to one that’s in a shade of red. “From 1930 to 1959 we had this logo.” he shared before proceeding to the next.

“In 1960 this was our new logo and that is the Southern Cross because Woolworths is in Australia and New Zealand.” he explained.

The 1960 logo changed completely, with a solid red upper case ‘W’ inside the upper part of a triangle and five-star symbols scattered below it. The triangle is white on the inside and features a thin black outline.

z7Gs-oNj4r5TacilQSBsdaGIcJVsSxUETJiPkn6eOTaVrBcNYi7Ta1kS7k-uf7UN7xPzVQAi84KUF50kqQnyLCDf6v_msdKf6DfFAPF6Dr8kf8tmQCg-GAjKiv16K1Q-HCGKYGb4
t4AVlWcmJtyzctceNdQlOQD6qUF9YEVG5ySmYBeZFNUOqgsqTtL9SxQm7G-dObCrXUbO3kYrYUaNl0_BAkOlTIiG-utvYe74HREcv_KkpwpzNsUYqttNKesm9vKf2lLNtLXTBmFE

“In 1972 we had this ‘W’,” Liam said, revealing once more how much the logo evolved since the 60s. During this era, the ‘W’ icon illustrated two identical shopping bags placed side-by-side, according to the Woolies website.

Moving onto the year 1987, where Woolworths first introduced its slogan ‘The Fresh Food People,’ which is still used today in selected Australian locations such as Eastwood and Booragoon.

bkXRaXK_tyE2FZlJ8IWbkkOkAzFxS3prnbran4dANnEsQg11PCLN1uwn7bUcwStum1aNIrPSm6606yI0U6TJKn0SOC6QMYDSRmwx3awutgyiWvO5dZHVPiZlaQ9vv5DPDds7nMw4

The design boasts an italicised phrase in green, placed above the red ‘Woolworths’ wordmark between three red-and-white bars.

“That’s when we started calling ourselves ‘The Fresh Food People’ and a new logo,” Liam said, concluding the video.

Thousands of TikTok users swarmed the comments section in awe of Woolworth’s logo evolution.

But one logo seems to be the favourite of the majority and it’s the one from the 80s.

“I used to be obsessed with these types of stuff and I think that the 1987 logo will always be the best and good looking one.” one user said.

“I still remember the 1987 logo even though it was a few years ago until they renovated. It was even on the trolleys,” another recalled.

“The 87’ logo is the greatest!” added a third while another agreed, referring to it as “the goat” (Greatest Of All Time).

However, some begged to differ, arguing: “ I love the current logo but the W one looks OK”.

Diane D good luck with getting only aussie produce/ products just about mission impossible

Reactions: Ricci