Woolworths raises prices of popular hot roast chicken amidst rising living costs

For many Australians, the humble hot roast chicken from Woolworths has become a popular and fuss-free dinner option for when time is short but hunger calls.

However, it seems that now we may have to dig a little deeper into our pockets as Woolies has confirmed a price hike on their popular hot roast chickens.

You read that right, folks. This ready-to-eat option will now set shoppers back a whole extra dollar, costing a cool $12.

This isn't the first time the price has gone up for the cult dinner buy — it previously rose from $10 to $11 back in February 2022.

The announcement was met with dissatisfaction among numerous shoppers, including SDC members, who expressed their disappointment over the smaller size of the roast chooks.

1684462396524.png
Woolworths has recently announced a one-dollar increase in the price of a regular roast chicken. Credit: Facebook.

One member wrote: ‘The BBQ chicken at Woolies is usually overcooked to a frizzle and seem to be getting smaller for the same $11.’

A Woolworths representative defended the price increase of their roast chickens, emphasising that they still offer excellent value as a dinner option.

The spokesperson attributed the price adjustment to the mounting production costs involved in bringing the product to the market.

They remarked: ‘At Woolworths, we understand that every dollar counts and work hard to provide value for customers every time they shop with us while balancing the needs of our suppliers.’

‘For the first time since February 2022, we reluctantly increased the price of our roast chickens by $1 due to an increase in input costs.’

‘We still believe our delicious hot roast chooks provide excellent value, whether it's for a dinner for the family or to share at a picnic with friends.’

The Woolworths price hike coincides with a surge in the number of Australians facing severe poverty due to the escalating cost of living.

The Salvation Army recently conducted a survey revealing that 93 per cent of individuals seeking assistance in the past year were struggling to meet their basic living requirements.

Once essential expenses such as housing, food, utilities, healthcare, and transportation were accounted for, the average respondents stated they had less than $6 per day remaining for other expenditures or savings.

In a statement, Captain Stuart Glover, the Salvation Army's secretary for mission, said: ‘Everyone is currently facing hardship, but for those who were already struggling, the escalating cost-of-living crisis has made survival nearly impossible without assistance.’

The report also unveiled distressing figures, with three-quarters of surveyed families living below the poverty line.

Additionally, a quarter of families were unable to afford healthcare visits for their children, including doctor and dentist appointments, while one in five families struggled to provide their children with three daily meals.

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has confirmed a price hike on their popular hot roast chickens, raising the cost to $12.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson states that The price increase is due to rising production costs.
  • The cost of living crisis impacts many Australians, with thousands struggling to afford basic necessities.
  • The Salvation Army reports that 93 per cent of people requiring their services are having difficulty affording essential living costs.

Members, times can be hard, and they can be tighter if we don’t plan our meals and shop smart. Here are a few tips for planning meals that are delicious and affordable:

1. Meal planning is key. Make a list of meals you want to make for the week and only buy the ingredients for those meals.

2. Stick to your pantry staples. Keep a few pantry staples in your cupboard that you can use to make a meal if you run out of time or get stuck.

3. Shop in bulk. Buying in bulk usually works out cheaper in the long run. If you have the freezer space, stock up on meats and other favourites.

4. Make use of leftovers. If you have leftovers from a meal, plan to make two meals and freeze one. This is a great way to save time and money.

5. Cook in batches. This works best with sauces, casseroles and soups. Make a large pot of an item once and freeze the leftovers in individual containers.

What are your thoughts on this price hike? Better yet, do you have more tips on how to keep dinner costs to a minimum? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I went to my local Woolies 2 days ago and on my shopping list was bread for toast for brekky. But, hey, wait a bit. That's going to have to be a smaller brekky as the price had risen by almost 30% over 2 weeks. It's still the cheapest admittedly, but it is now too expensive to be a staple food when you are surviving on OA pension.

• Sad
Reactions: Liz and Ricci
For many Australians, the humble hot roast chicken from Woolworths has become a popular and fuss-free dinner option for when time is short but hunger calls.

However, it seems that now we may have to dig a little deeper into our pockets as Woolies has confirmed a price hike on their popular hot roast chickens.

You read that right, folks. This ready-to-eat option will now set shoppers back a whole extra dollar, costing a cool $12.

This isn't the first time the price has gone up for the cult dinner buy — it previously rose from $10 to $11 back in February 2022.

The announcement was met with dissatisfaction among numerous shoppers, including SDC members, who expressed their disappointment over the smaller size of the roast chooks.

View attachment 20176
Woolworths has recently announced a one-dollar increase in the price of a regular roast chicken. Credit: Facebook.

One member wrote: ‘The BBQ chicken at Woolies is usually overcooked to a frizzle and seem to be getting smaller for the same $11.’

A Woolworths representative defended the price increase of their roast chickens, emphasising that they still offer excellent value as a dinner option.

The spokesperson attributed the price adjustment to the mounting production costs involved in bringing the product to the market.

They remarked: ‘At Woolworths, we understand that every dollar counts and work hard to provide value for customers every time they shop with us while balancing the needs of our suppliers.’

‘For the first time since February 2022, we reluctantly increased the price of our roast chickens by $1 due to an increase in input costs.’

‘We still believe our delicious hot roast chooks provide excellent value, whether it's for a dinner for the family or to share at a picnic with friends.’

The Woolworths price hike coincides with a surge in the number of Australians facing severe poverty due to the escalating cost of living.

The Salvation Army recently conducted a survey revealing that 93 per cent of individuals seeking assistance in the past year were struggling to meet their basic living requirements.

Once essential expenses such as housing, food, utilities, healthcare, and transportation were accounted for, the average respondents stated they had less than $6 per day remaining for other expenditures or savings.

In a statement, Captain Stuart Glover, the Salvation Army's secretary for mission, said: ‘Everyone is currently facing hardship, but for those who were already struggling, the escalating cost-of-living crisis has made survival nearly impossible without assistance.’

The report also unveiled distressing figures, with three-quarters of surveyed families living below the poverty line.

Additionally, a quarter of families were unable to afford healthcare visits for their children, including doctor and dentist appointments, while one in five families struggled to provide their children with three daily meals.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has confirmed a price hike on their popular hot roast chickens, raising the cost to $12.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson states that The price increase is due to rising production costs.
  • The cost of living crisis impacts many Australians, with thousands struggling to afford basic necessities.
  • The Salvation Army reports that 93 per cent of people requiring their services are having difficulty affording essential living costs.

Members, times can be hard, and they can be tighter if we don’t plan our meals and shop smart. Here are a few tips for planning meals that are delicious and affordable:

1. Meal planning is key. Make a list of meals you want to make for the week and only buy the ingredients for those meals.

2. Stick to your pantry staples. Keep a few pantry staples in your cupboard that you can use to make a meal if you run out of time or get stuck.

3. Shop in bulk. Buying in bulk usually works out cheaper in the long run. If you have the freezer space, stock up on meats and other favourites.

4. Make use of leftovers. If you have leftovers from a meal, plan to make two meals and freeze one. This is a great way to save time and money.

5. Cook in batches. This works best with sauces, casseroles and soups. Make a large pot of an item once and freeze the leftovers in individual containers.

What are your thoughts on this price hike? Better yet, do you have more tips on how to keep dinner costs to a minimum? Share them with us in the comments below!
Many items have gone up over the years, bars of chocolate have shrunk in size potato chips went from 200g to 170g, when we were in Sydney Woolworths bread was 650g, our bread in QLD so far still 700g.

Reactions: Jennylolo and Ricci
Recently i went to Woolies and saw the roast Chickens displayed
When I picked one up,it felt light. I grabbed another one and weighed them both on the scales in fruit and veg section.
one weighed .900 kgs, the other 1.300 kgs, a difference of 400 grams!! both still at the same price!!

It pays to be "buyer aware"

Last edited:
Reactions: Liz and Jennylolo
My closest Woolworths store only knows one way to cook a chook plenty of charcoal, wings burnt to a frazzle, legs falling off.. disgusting!

• Sad
Reactions: Jennylolo
‘ Due to rising production costs’? . What rising production costs? Are the poultry farmers getting any part of these so-called higher costs or do they live on the old income while supermarkets are living on rising income from us? I guess I will have to start buying more from independent butchers and get fresher meats and poultry and support the little guy from now on.

Reactions: Liz
Just another way for supermarkets to rip people off, they have found the current economic climate a perfect opportunity to rort the public out of every cent they can. Well another item to boycott buying ! If all the public were to band together and only buy what is absolutely essential and boycott buying as much as possible especially perishable items leaving the supermarkets with unsold stock they would soon get the message. The public need to unite and let them know we have had enough, hit them where it hurts through not buying as much as you can !
Hey Chippie, you should form a Union. I would become a member. You can be the Leader.

I remember the grat taste of these chickens but now living alone, a whole chicken is too much for me and being diabetic I can't eat the skin. I also do not drive so by the time I get one home on the bus it has gone tepid/cold plus has driven the other passengers to irritation over the wonderful smell. In any case, I can no longer afford one. Just a thought, why did the price increase by exactly $1.00? Why was it not $0.67 or $1.28? I can never understand the justification other than an easy marketing tool.

‘ Due to rising production costs’? . What rising production costs? Are the poultry farmers getting any part of these so-called higher costs or do they live on the old income while supermarkets are living on rising income from us? I guess I will have to start buying more from independent butchers and get fresher meats and poultry and support the little guy from now on.
You will also get accurate weight from the butchers. I opened a 1 kg packet of mince from Woolies yesterday & went to divide it into 2 x 500g lots only to find that the total weight was 970g not 1 kg which I paid for. I have had the same problem when I bought chicken breasts & thighs in the past. They are ripping us off every way they can/

Like I have said before cook your own chook so much cheaper and nicer .

I've recently put new recipes up.

And cutting it down the spine and cooking it as flat chicken is quicker to cook

When I made it last week my 22 year old daughter said it was the best chicken she has ever eaten including expensive restaurants. So much so she asked me to cook it on Monday along with my easy no knead bread so she can invite her boyfriend for dinner

Reactions: MindyMac
I also noticed that they never have mark down roast anymore, or if they do it's down by about $0.50-$1.50 at most. They use to have plenty of mark downs. I'm guessing the staff is taking them and/or they are going to food shelters. I can handle food shelters getting them free.

I haven't purchased one for a while now because I noticed the size had gone down. In fact, way down. So much so that one would think that it was an empty bag just full of hot air.

If I get one it will be with the 10% Extra Rewards off. That means $12 - $1.20 = $10.80. Mainly for my oldest cat as she love them.

I will still buy one for my cat for a treat, once or twice a year. It gives her loads of meals even the smaller sizes of the chicken. As I don't eat me, she wins. Just a different aside. I know value of our money is getting less and less with groceries. I spent $100 last week just for fruit, vegetables to make soup, and some basic daily essentials which were on special at half price. There really wasn't a lot there.:(

I used to buy 1/2 chicken and that would do hubby and I for 2 meals,,,tea with vegies and lunch toastie,,now I will be buying a full chicken and cooking in the air fryer,,,when we have enough food left over we always put one in the freezer,,there is always soup in there as well,,,usually 2/3 flavours,,we have a lovely vegie garden and have peas,,green beans,,grated zucchini,, broad beans in freezer,,our potatoes will likely last the year,the carrots,,silver beet and swedes are holding up still in the patch,,,beetroot bottled and in the garage fridge then we have the fruit,,rhubarb,,peaches,,apricots ,raspberries ,apple,,assorted plums and cherries in the freezer,,some cooked some not and still my groceries have gone up $40+ ,,once upon a time we bought in bulk but that is now history,,if we didn't have this behind us we would be in trouble being on a pension,,we still have all the normal bills but are very lucky to have a roof over our heads,, very lucky indeed