Woolworths probes claim of frog found in woman's dinner

Imagine the shock of finding an uninvited guest in your meal just as you're about to take a bite...

Well, this isn’t just a hypothetical scenario as a recent incident involving Woolworths proved.

The retail giant is now under the spotlight, even though it emphasises its ‘rigorous’ quality checks on produce.

This comes after a claim by a shopper who was taken aback to discover what she believed to be a dead frog in her dinner just moments before eating.

A video detailing her experience garnered significant attention online. Initially thrilled to enjoy her cooked pesto pasta, the woman was startled by the ‘sick’ discovery.

The shared footage revealed the presumed dead frog, coated in sauce, positioned prominently in the corner of a saucepan filled with pasta.

The video then shifted to display the frog on a kitchen countertop and later inside a plastic bag, indicating she had removed it from the meal.

Woolworths_frog_1.jpg
The Woolworths shopper spotted the frog as she finished cooking the pesto pasta. Image source: TikTok (@simonebaker)

‘Woolies the fresh food people, quite literally a fresh frog in my spinach. Can’t get much fresher than that,’ the shopper captioned the video, tagging Woolworths’ account.

The shopper claimed the frog came from a bag of spinach labelled ‘ready to eat’.

Social media users, in disbelief, have swarmed the shopper’s comment section, with many questioning whether the discovery was true.

‘It’s for real. I couldn’t think of anything worse than picking a living animal out of my garden and putting it in my dinner,’ replied the shopper, calling the experience ‘f***ed’.

‘Never been so excited to eat dinner in my life until I saw that.’

When asked if she still ate the pasta, she expressed a strong aversion, saying she couldn’t imagine anything worse, and mentioned that the incident had put her off from eating spinach.

Other Aussies conveyed their disgust with comments such as, ‘The trauma I just received,’ and, ‘The way I’d never been able to eat again.’

Woolworths_frog_2.jpg
Woolworths contacted the shopper and promptly investigated the incident. Image source: TikTok (@simonebaker)

A spokesperson from Woolworths informed Yahoo News Australia that they have been in direct communication with the shopper and have prioritised investigating the issue with their team and supplier.

‘Our supplier conducted numerous quality assessments on this batch of spinach leaves and did not detect any foreign objects throughout the processing, so this appears to be an isolated incident,’ they said.

‘We take all customer feedback seriously and understand this must have been an unwelcome surprise for this customer, particularly with the online comments on how delicious the meal looked.’

Woolworths further said that it works with several Australian spinach growers and maintains ‘rigorous processes’ to ensure the quality of its products.

‘For our bags of spinach this includes washing the leaves and a number of quality checks, such as x-ray checks for foreign materials, before they are packaged and sent to our stores,’ the spokesperson said.

As for the shopper, she reported being compensated $70 for the entire meal.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper claimed to have found a dead frog in her dinner, which she believes came from a bag of spinach labelled 'ready to eat'.
  • The claim prompted a wave of stunned reactions on social media, with users expressing disgust and shock at the discovery.
  • Woolworths has responded to the incident, stating that they have been speaking with the customer directly and have launched an investigation with their team and supplier.
  • They expressed that they have rigorous processes for quality checks and understood that the situation was an 'unwelcome surprise' for the customer.
  • The woman claimed to have received $70 in compensation.
Members, as the shopper, how would you react and what steps do you think Woolworths should take? Is a $70 compensation enough? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Anyone here noticed the speed at which packers and other staff in food ‘factories’ etc have to work? Things do & can be missed but it is still not very nice to find anything untoward in food you are about to cook or eat.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Imagine the shock of finding an uninvited guest in your meal just as you're about to take a bite...

Well, this isn’t just a hypothetical scenario as a recent incident involving Woolworths proved.

The retail giant is now under the spotlight, even though it emphasises its ‘rigorous’ quality checks on produce.

This comes after a claim by a shopper who was taken aback to discover what she believed to be a dead frog in her dinner just moments before eating.

A video detailing her experience garnered significant attention online. Initially thrilled to enjoy her cooked pesto pasta, the woman was startled by the ‘sick’ discovery.

The shared footage revealed the presumed dead frog, coated in sauce, positioned prominently in the corner of a saucepan filled with pasta.

The video then shifted to display the frog on a kitchen countertop and later inside a plastic bag, indicating she had removed it from the meal.

View attachment 32824
The Woolworths shopper spotted the frog as she finished cooking the pesto pasta. Image source: TikTok (@simonebaker)

‘Woolies the fresh food people, quite literally a fresh frog in my spinach. Can’t get much fresher than that,’ the shopper captioned the video, tagging Woolworths’ account.

The shopper claimed the frog came from a bag of spinach labelled ‘ready to eat’.

Social media users, in disbelief, have swarmed the shopper’s comment section, with many questioning whether the discovery was true.

‘It’s for real. I couldn’t think of anything worse than picking a living animal out of my garden and putting it in my dinner,’ replied the shopper, calling the experience ‘f***ed’.

‘Never been so excited to eat dinner in my life until I saw that.’

When asked if she still ate the pasta, she expressed a strong aversion, saying she couldn’t imagine anything worse, and mentioned that the incident had put her off from eating spinach.

Other Aussies conveyed their disgust with comments such as, ‘The trauma I just received,’ and, ‘The way I’d never been able to eat again.’

View attachment 32825
Woolworths contacted the shopper and promptly investigated the incident. Image source: TikTok (@simonebaker)

A spokesperson from Woolworths informed Yahoo News Australia that they have been in direct communication with the shopper and have prioritised investigating the issue with their team and supplier.

‘Our supplier conducted numerous quality assessments on this batch of spinach leaves and did not detect any foreign objects throughout the processing, so this appears to be an isolated incident,’ they said.

‘We take all customer feedback seriously and understand this must have been an unwelcome surprise for this customer, particularly with the online comments on how delicious the meal looked.’

Woolworths further said that it works with several Australian spinach growers and maintains ‘rigorous processes’ to ensure the quality of its products.

‘For our bags of spinach this includes washing the leaves and a number of quality checks, such as x-ray checks for foreign materials, before they are packaged and sent to our stores,’ the spokesperson said.

As for the shopper, she reported being compensated $70 for the entire meal.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper claimed to have found a dead frog in her dinner, which she believes came from a bag of spinach labelled 'ready to eat'.
  • The claim prompted a wave of stunned reactions on social media, with users expressing disgust and shock at the discovery.
  • Woolworths has responded to the incident, stating that they have been speaking with the customer directly and have launched an investigation with their team and supplier.
  • They expressed that they have rigorous processes for quality checks and understood that the situation was an 'unwelcome surprise' for the customer.
  • The woman claimed to have received $70 in compensation.
Members, as the shopper, how would you react and what steps do you think Woolworths should take? Is a $70 compensation enough? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
ah, poor frog!

More like a teenage ‘tadpole’ than a fully grown frog. The picture is most likely a close-up which makes it look big and it is skinny too. DISGUSTING anyhow. WASH, WASH & CHECK, CHECK again before eating or cooking anything. Not solely Woolworths’ fault as they don’t grow their own produce, they buy it from growers and possibly the produce is packed by another unit not a Woolworths company. I’m not standing up for Woolworths, just making my point here, but it is DISGUSTING any way you look at it.
As far as I remember the farmers pack their goods and they go straight onto the crates in Woolies, so not Woolies fault at all!