Woolworths posts a whopping $1.62b profit despite the ongoing cost-of-living crisis

It's no secret that technological advancements have made the world more convenient. However, they have also led to an increase in the cost of certain things.

At the SDC, we appreciate the luxuries that technology brings. For instance, the convenience of ordering groceries online and having them delivered within days is truly remarkable.

And it seems that we are not the only ones who recognise the benefits of these technological advancements.

Recent news from the country's largest supermarket chain, Woolworths, indicates that they have effectively leveraged the resources provided by the 21st century. Their net profits have surged to a staggering $1.62 billion for the entire financial year.

Their convenience-oriented approach has yielded significant results. Woolworths' financial report demonstrates that their profits have increased at a higher rate than before the pandemic—an achievement many retailers can only aspire to amidst the ongoing economic crisis.

Screen Shot 2023-08-24 at 11.33.47 AM.png
Woolworths has recorded a dramatic lift in margins for its Australian food business to well above pre-pandemic levels. Credit: Shutterstock.

The nearly 20 per cent rise in earnings for their Australian supermarkets caught the attention of their customers and the nation's policymakers. In fact, this has even led to a series of inquiries concerning living costs.

As it turns out, the sector's preferred gauge of profitability, known as operating margins, has spiked at Woolworths from 5.3 per cent to 6 per cent.

This 6 per cent mark is the highest margin for the groceries division recorded at Woolworths in over a decade.

It's so high, in fact, that Woolworths now enjoys double the margins that some of their international counterparts earn in more competitive markets.

Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci states that this is not solely a result of increased sales, explaining that 'it is not a direct outcome of food sales within supermarkets'.

This announcement from Woolworths comes after Coles reported an impressive $1.09 billion net profit for the 12 months ending in June 2023, up 4.8 per cent compared to the previous financial year.

The nation's second-largest supermarket also generated an impressive $36.7 billion in supermarket sales revenue, a 6.1 per cent increase year-on-year.

Joseph Mitchell, the Secretary of the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU), was shaken, remarking: 'It appears the average Aussie is feeling the pinch in their wallet while big businesses are boosting their bottom line.'

And he is not alone in this sentiment. Former regulatory authorities and economists have also attributed the expansion in profit margins to a lack of competition in Australia, where Woolworths and Coles control two-thirds of the market.

Furthermore, these studies suggest that the period from 2022 to 2023 could potentially witness increased stress on households, with the majority of anticipated interest rate rises occurring during this time.

Michael Brennan, the outgoing Chair of the Productivity Commission, further emphasised this concern. During a National Press Club event speech, he explained: 'One of the things that has been an inhibitor to competition in supermarkets has been planning at the state level…'

'Coles and Woolies are pretty well embedded in the planning systems, pretty good at identifying sites, potentially pretty good even at freezing out rivals.'

One notable instance is the sudden withdrawal of German retailer Kaufland from entering the Australian market after significant investment. This serves as further evidence of how challenging it is for new supermarkets to establish themselves in the crowded market.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths, Australia’s largest supermarket chain, has posted a $1.62bn profit, demonstrating a significant margin increase for its Australian food business.
  • Almost a 20 per cent rise in earnings results from its Australian supermarkets as parliament and unions start to examine the sector's pricing decisions due to rising living costs.
  • Woolworths' Chief Executive, Brad Banducci, attributes the profit rise not only to goods sales but also to improved business operations and supply chain upgrades.

Members, there's no doubt that it's a difficult situation for the everyday Aussie shopper. If you want to get the best value for your money, you have to stay well-informed to ensure you're not missing out on any specials or value deals.

What are your thoughts? Do you think supermarkets should pass these profits to customers as savings? Let us know what you think in the comments section below!

Reactions: Ricki and Marj53
Sponsored
They stopped giving people 10% discount if they had some type of insurance on online ordering, even if you are disabled. Maybe they could bring that back for people with a disability sticker on their car. One can't use a wheelie walker and push a trolley at the same time.

If you want to get value for money, it's simple, stay away from Woolworths, they are the dearest, Aldi and Coles are cheaper.
I only go to Woolworths for specials.

Reactions: Ashmenou
Come on guys ....

These HUGE numbers can be put into perspective when you compare them to the overall value of the company. They are NOT 'obscene"
It's like the CBA posting a multi billion dollar profit... oh how shocking... how dare they...
As a percentage of company value, it's probably no better than your local corner store

They stopped giving people 10% discount if they had some type of insurance on online ordering, even if you are disabled. Maybe they could bring that back for people with a disability sticker on their car. One can't use a wheelie walker and push a trolley at the same time.
Yes we have a mobile and used to get 10% as well - now you have to shop instore to get it - no I won't as my husband has balance and mobility issues and I use a wheelie walker - maybe we need to tell them that some of their customers have mobility problems?

Reactions: Ashmenou and Marj53
On my rough calculations, if Woolies achieved $1.62b net profit on sales of $36.7b that results in net profit of 4.4% not 6%, or is your report a bit "skew-whiffed"?

o

Reactions: Trudi and Bridgit
So much profit! Surely ALOT of that could get passed on to customers!
You would be surprised just how many customers do receive a share of the profit!

They just happen to own some shares in the company.

It's no secret that technological advancements have made the world more convenient. However, they have also led to an increase in the cost of certain things.

At the SDC, we appreciate the luxuries that technology brings. For instance, the convenience of ordering groceries online and having them delivered within days is truly remarkable.

And it seems that we are not the only ones who recognise the benefits of these technological advancements.

Recent news from the country's largest supermarket chain, Woolworths, indicates that they have effectively leveraged the resources provided by the 21st century. Their net profits have surged to a staggering $1.62 billion for the entire financial year.

Their convenience-oriented approach has yielded significant results. Woolworths' financial report demonstrates that their profits have increased at a higher rate than before the pandemic—an achievement many retailers can only aspire to amidst the ongoing economic crisis.

View attachment 28198
Woolworths has recorded a dramatic lift in margins for its Australian food business to well above pre-pandemic levels. Credit: Shutterstock.

The nearly 20 per cent rise in earnings for their Australian supermarkets caught the attention of their customers and the nation's policymakers. In fact, this has even led to a series of inquiries concerning living costs.

As it turns out, the sector's preferred gauge of profitability, known as operating margins, has spiked at Woolworths from 5.3 per cent to 6 per cent.

This 6 per cent mark is the highest margin for the groceries division recorded at Woolworths in over a decade.

It's so high, in fact, that Woolworths now enjoys double the margins that some of their international counterparts earn in more competitive markets.

Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci states that this is not solely a result of increased sales, explaining that 'it is not a direct outcome of food sales within supermarkets'.

This announcement from Woolworths comes after Coles reported an impressive $1.09 billion net profit for the 12 months ending in June 2023, up 4.8 per cent compared to the previous financial year.

The nation's second-largest supermarket also generated an impressive $36.7 billion in supermarket sales revenue, a 6.1 per cent increase year-on-year.

Joseph Mitchell, the Secretary of the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU), was shaken, remarking: 'It appears the average Aussie is feeling the pinch in their wallet while big businesses are boosting their bottom line.'

And he is not alone in this sentiment. Former regulatory authorities and economists have also attributed the expansion in profit margins to a lack of competition in Australia, where Woolworths and Coles control two-thirds of the market.

Furthermore, these studies suggest that the period from 2022 to 2023 could potentially witness increased stress on households, with the majority of anticipated interest rate rises occurring during this time.

Michael Brennan, the outgoing Chair of the Productivity Commission, further emphasised this concern. During a National Press Club event speech, he explained: 'One of the things that has been an inhibitor to competition in supermarkets has been planning at the state level…'

'Coles and Woolies are pretty well embedded in the planning systems, pretty good at identifying sites, potentially pretty good even at freezing out rivals.'

One notable instance is the sudden withdrawal of German retailer Kaufland from entering the Australian market after significant investment. This serves as further evidence of how challenging it is for new supermarkets to establish themselves in the crowded market.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths, Australia’s largest supermarket chain, has posted a $1.62bn profit, demonstrating a significant margin increase for its Australian food business.
  • Almost a 20 per cent rise in earnings results from its Australian supermarkets as parliament and unions start to examine the sector's pricing decisions due to rising living costs.
  • Woolworths' Chief Executive, Brad Banducci, attributes the profit rise not only to goods sales but also to improved business operations and supply chain upgrades.

Members, there's no doubt that it's a difficult situation for the everyday Aussie shopper. If you want to get the best value for your money, you have to stay well-informed to ensure you're not missing out on any specials or value deals.

What are your thoughts? Do you think supermarkets should pass these profits to customers as savings? Let us know what you think in the comments section below!
Just wondering, is this profit before or after all running costs for that year or the next year has been taken out?

The supermarkets are making these huge profits at the expense of their customers and suppliers. The prices customers pay hardly ever go down, but what the supermarkets pay our farmers often doesn't even cover the cost of production.

If you want to get value for money, it's simple, stay away from Woolworths, they are the dearest, Aldi and Coles are cheaper.
I only go to Woolworths for specials.
I get all specials at all stores and shop at all. I find you can only get some thing at some stores, like Devendale Butter Woolies only have the big pack which at normal price cheaper than when the smaller one is on special. And there bucket honey is cheaper. I do not very often shop at Aldi as I find they are not cheaper with the items that I buy and you do not get any reward points.
You need to know your prices!

Reactions: Ashmenou
I get all specials at all stores and shop at all. I find you can only get some thing at some stores, like Devendale Butter Woolies only have the big pack which at normal price cheaper than when the smaller one is on special. And there bucket honey is cheaper. I do not very often shop at Aldi as I find they are not cheaper with the items that I buy and you do not get any reward points.
What items do you not buy at Aldi because you say are not cheaper.
I do my main shop at Aldi and only buy the things that I can't get at Aldi
elsewhere.
I keep myself up to date on all prices and have found Aldi to be the cheapest, also confirmed by Choice.
In fact my friends call me the bargain hunter because I only buy at the best price, research everything, buy my clothes on flash sale through
LightintheBox. I never pay full price.
If an item I like is full price I put it in my cart but don't go to checkout.
They will always send me a reminder about goods in my basket, after a couple of times, about 75 % of the time, they will come back with a better price.
If I'm buying appliances I always barter, never pay full price.
If I'm selling a house I do not hire an agent, I sell them myself.
I have always got a better price than agents have said and saved myself many, many thousands of dollars over the last 20 years. It's such a simple procedure I don't understand why more people don't do it.
Obviously pay a conveyancer to do the legal settlement.
Guess you could say I'm a tightarse, but I still have holidays, buy clothes ,(too many according to my husband)
etc. but just make sure I get the best price possible.

View attachment 28198

Key Takeaways

I'll keep saying it until the day I die..... KEEP AWAY FROM COLES & WOOLLIES

Same here.

The supermarkets are making these huge profits at the expense of their customers and suppliers. The prices customers pay hardly ever go down, but what the supermarkets pay our farmers often doesn't even cover the cost of production.
The big supermarkets enter into contracts with farmers for the supply of produce and lofestock and the price paid to farmers is negotiated.

Alternatively, there is nothing stopping farmers from selling their produce in the open market if they do not like what the big companies offer. But if the aim for higher prices, they also have transport and other costs to factor in plus they will be competing against other farmers to sell their produce.

View attachment 28198

Key Takeaways

Rather than the sales of goods , what I think is that shareholders influence what any business does in this day and age . Mums and dads control a small amount , but big business and hedge funds influence the majority of decisions

View attachment 28198

Key Takeaways

B@$t@rd$ making a huge profit on all of us being ripped off for everything.