Woolworths' new store promises convenient shopping 'experience'

If you've always loved the idea of a drive-through, but for your groceries—you are in luck, especially if you live in one of Sydney's posh suburbs.

Woolworths has taken a significant leap forward by opening its first 'Direct to Boot' drive-through grocery store in the affluent Sydney suburb of Rose Bay.

This innovative concept is set to revolutionise the way Australians shop for their groceries, especially in the lead-up to the busy Christmas season.

The 'Direct to Boot' service is not a new concept for Woolworths, with the service already available at 700 locations across the country.

However, the Rose Bay site is unique because it operates solely as a drive-through, without an attached walk-in store.

compressed-Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 9.25.25 AM.jpeg
Woolworths opened its first Direct to Boot drive-through in Rose Bay. Credit: 9news

This is a first for the supermarket giant and a clear indication of its commitment to providing customers with a variety of convenient shopping options.

Sally Copland, Managing Director of eComX, expressed her excitement about the new venture.

'We know our customers are busier than ever before, which is why we've launched a new Direct to Boot drive-through for the local residents of Rose Bay and surrounding areas.’

‘We're excited for customers to try the innovative design of a standalone Direct to Boot service, where they can be in and out with a car full of shopping in a matter of minutes.'

The drive-through is located on the corner of Old South Head Road and Albemarle Avenue in Rose Bay, replacing what was previously described as an 'eyesore' of a petrol station.

Customers can place their orders online or through the Woolworths app, choosing from a wide range of Woolworths products.

Upon arrival at one of the eight marked bays at the site, customers simply confirm via app or SMS link, and a team member will pack their order directly into their boot.

The introduction of this drive-through concept could potentially signal a shift in the future of grocery shopping. As consumers continue seeking more convenient and time-efficient ways to complete their shopping, the drive-through model could become a more common sight in suburbs across Australia.

However, the Rose Bay location is currently being used as a drive-through on an interim basis, with the possibility of it being converted into a traditional store in the future.

Andrew Loveday, Director of Property Development, expressed gratitude to Woollahra Council.

‘We appreciate the support of Woollahra Council to help set this up while we continue our collaborative approach with planning teams and the Rose Bay community on our long-term plans for the site,’ he said.

One important thing to note is that orders must be placed ahead of time, as they are filled at the Mascot facility before being transported to the Rose Bay location. This ensures that the new facility is unlikely to cause traffic chaos, as it can only fill around 50 orders daily.

'We look forward to hearing feedback from the local community over the coming months,' Copeland added.

While this Direct to Boot concept may be exciting, there’s always a catch.

In a previous story, Woolworths raised its minimum order requirement for customers who use Woolworths’ Direct to Boot and Pick Up shopping services to a whopping $20. Several shoppers took to social media to express their thoughts about this new policy, with some saying they were disadvantaged. Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has opened its first 'Direct to Boot' drive-through store in the affluent suburb of Rose Bay, Sydney.
  • The new concept allows customers to order online or through the Woolworths app and have their groceries loaded directly into their car boot at the drive-through.
  • The location is currently a drive-through facility but could potentially be converted into a store in the future.
  • The catch is that orders must be made ahead of time since they are filled at the Mascot facility and taken to the Rose Bay location. Only around 50 orders can be filled per day.
What are your thoughts on this new shopping experience? Would you like to see a drive-through grocery store in your local area? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: NotNats and BJM
Sponsored
If you've always loved the idea of a drive-through, but for your groceries—you are in luck, especially if you live in one of Sydney's posh suburbs.

Woolworths has taken a significant leap forward by opening its first 'Direct to Boot' drive-through grocery store in the affluent Sydney suburb of Rose Bay.

This innovative concept is set to revolutionise the way Australians shop for their groceries, especially in the lead-up to the busy Christmas season.

The 'Direct to Boot' service is not a new concept for Woolworths, with the service already available at 700 locations across the country.

However, the Rose Bay site is unique because it operates solely as a drive-through, without an attached walk-in store.

View attachment 37453
Woolworths opened its first Direct to Boot drive-through in Rose Bay. Credit: 9news

This is a first for the supermarket giant and a clear indication of its commitment to providing customers with a variety of convenient shopping options.

Sally Copland, Managing Director of eComX, expressed her excitement about the new venture.

'We know our customers are busier than ever before, which is why we've launched a new Direct to Boot drive-through for the local residents of Rose Bay and surrounding areas.’

‘We're excited for customers to try the innovative design of a standalone Direct to Boot service, where they can be in and out with a car full of shopping in a matter of minutes.'

The drive-through is located on the corner of Old South Head Road and Albemarle Avenue in Rose Bay, replacing what was previously described as an 'eyesore' of a petrol station.

Customers can place their orders online or through the Woolworths app, choosing from a wide range of Woolworths products.

Upon arrival at one of the eight marked bays at the site, customers simply confirm via app or SMS link, and a team member will pack their order directly into their boot.

The introduction of this drive-through concept could potentially signal a shift in the future of grocery shopping. As consumers continue seeking more convenient and time-efficient ways to complete their shopping, the drive-through model could become a more common sight in suburbs across Australia.

However, the Rose Bay location is currently being used as a drive-through on an interim basis, with the possibility of it being converted into a traditional store in the future.

Andrew Loveday, Director of Property Development, expressed gratitude to Woollahra Council.

‘We appreciate the support of Woollahra Council to help set this up while we continue our collaborative approach with planning teams and the Rose Bay community on our long-term plans for the site,’ he said.

One important thing to note is that orders must be placed ahead of time, as they are filled at the Mascot facility before being transported to the Rose Bay location. This ensures that the new facility is unlikely to cause traffic chaos, as it can only fill around 50 orders daily.

'We look forward to hearing feedback from the local community over the coming months,' Copeland added.

While this Direct to Boot concept may be exciting, there’s always a catch.

In a previous story, Woolworths raised its minimum order requirement for customers who use Woolworths’ Direct to Boot and Pick Up shopping services to a whopping $20. Several shoppers took to social media to express their thoughts about this new policy, with some saying they were disadvantaged. Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has opened its first 'Direct to Boot' drive-through store in the affluent suburb of Rose Bay, Sydney.
  • The new concept allows customers to order online or through the Woolworths app and have their groceries loaded directly into their car boot at the drive-through.
  • The location is currently a drive-through facility but could potentially be converted into a store in the future.
  • The catch is that orders must be made ahead of time since they are filled at the Mascot facility and taken to the Rose Bay location. Only around 50 orders can be filled per day.
What are your thoughts on this new shopping experience? Would you like to see a drive-through grocery store in your local area? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
I suppose it suits some people.
Although I would resort to online grocery shops if I was incapacitated, I do prefer to do my own choosing and comparisons. Also, I do a main shop once a month. I cannot see myself leaving it up to an unknown to make the best choices on my behalf.
Next there will be robots roaming up and down the aisles and out the the car. Naaaah. Not for me.

What a ridiculous not thought out comment 🙄

They've still got the same staff. How will it get to people's boots? By robot? 🤔 Who will put their orders together in the stores? And how on earth will it benefit shareholders? It's got nothing to do with them.
Seriously? Now, have a good think about logistics and how this becoming a trend will save Woollies a hell of a lot of money. Ask yourself why they are doing it - it certainly isn't for the good of our health.

And yes, robots are already on the agenda my friend....

I wouldn't trust them to ZPick perishables.... Plus the additional cost.... not for me.

They would loose sales ... No impulse sales ,,,that is why they put the milk,, bread and meats at the back of the store..

"Whopping $20". my gosh if you are going to buy just milk, get it yourself. I use this when I have a list of items that I have no idea where to find them in store. The fact that someone goes around the store and shops for me FREE is amazing. Must be great for those that have babies etc.