Woolworths makes a bold change to their baskets to help the environment!

It’s almost second nature to many shoppers: walking into the local Woolworths and picking up one of their familiar two-handled baskets as they peruse around the aisles.

But before you start going for a quick shop, get ready to say goodbye to those reliable baskets you’ve come to know and love.

Woolworths has just announced a significant change to its shopping baskets.

The retailer is introducing new hand-held 'green' carriers made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE), a widely used type of plastic.

This move is part of Woolworths' ongoing commitment to sustainability and reducing its environmental footprint.

photo (1).jpg
Woolworths changes its baskets across its stores. Credit: @adrianwidjy / TikTok

'The majority of recycled HDPE is from milk bottles, but there is a percentage from other drink bottles like juice bottles,' a Woolworths spokesperson explained.

This came after Woolworths released ‘greener’ trolleys to replace the metal trolleys when they become ‘aged, broken, or need replacing’. These are being used in all of its stores.

However, it's not just the material of the baskets that's changing.

Woolworths has also decided to drop the popular two-handle design from the new baskets, opting instead for a single handle. This design change, while seemingly minor, could prove controversial among shoppers.

Earlier this year, when Coles implemented a similar one-handle design, it faced criticism from customers who found the new design more challenging to use.

'Just dropping by to say I hate (and that's a word I don't often use) your new red baskets you have brought out, just one handle on them?' one disgruntled user commented on the new Coles baskets.

Another customer lamented, 'What have you done with the baskets?! The new design is just awful, did you have anyone in the team look at ergonomics?'

The new Woolworths baskets were first spotted in a video about the retail group's new store in Ashfield North, Sydney.

A social media personality shared footage of the baskets piled up at the store entrance, sparking curiosity and speculation among his followers.

Watch the video below:

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed that the new baskets would be rolled out to all stores.

'We're working hard to grow greener for our customers and the environment,' the spokesperson said.

'Our recycled trolleys have been very popular with customers and are currently available in select stores. We plan to continue rolling them out to new stores over the coming years.'

‘We also have trolley baskets that are made from 100 per cent recycled plastic and give used milk bottles a second life in our stores while also reducing the use of new materials to create trolleys.’
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has confirmed a major change to shopping baskets in all its stores, substituting them with green carriers made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE), a type of plastic largely derived from recycled milk bottles.
  • The new basket design only includes one handle, a departure from the former two-handle design, which may prove controversial among some shoppers.
  • When Coles implemented a similar one-handle design for their baskets earlier this year, it resulted in a backlash from some customers.
  • The new baskets are part of Woolworths' effort to go greener, with the supermarket giant also rolling out recycled trolleys and planning to continue this implementation over the coming years.
What do you think about Woolworths' new shopping baskets? Do you prefer the one-handle or two-handle design? And how important is it to you that companies take steps to reduce their environmental impact? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I never use baskets as I always buy too much and they get too heavy. I only use the small trolleys and the new green plastic ones are very good. Very light and always easy to manoeuvre.

Just more greenwashing from the corporates to make us "love them" - why do we fall for it?
Some of us fall for it... not this black bunny..... haven't shopped in Coles or Woolies for over 20 years

My thought was how soon will one of these new baskets walk out of a store & onto a plane on a long journey to another location?

l support the idea of recycling in line with the decision to do this. Like the sign about the base being made from 18 recycled milk bottles too. Good move overall l thought.

Reactions: DLHM
I have used these baskets at BigW,,with just a light load they are uncomfortable so just imagine what it will be like having shopping in them,,no way to even out your load,,I liked the 2 handles

Just think of how much money they save by having one handle instead of two. It's all about profits you know.

Reactions: IAN3005
It’s almost second nature to many shoppers: walking into the local Woolworths and picking up one of their familiar two-handled baskets as they peruse around the aisles.

But before you start going for a quick shop, get ready to say goodbye to those reliable baskets you’ve come to know and love.

The retailer is introducing new hand-held 'green' carriers made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE), a widely used type of plastic.

This move is part of Woolworths' ongoing commitment to sustainability and reducing its environmental footprint.

View attachment 36530

'The majority of recycled HDPE is from milk bottles, but there is a percentage from other drink bottles like juice bottles,' a Woolworths spokesperson explained.

This came after Woolworths released ‘greener’ trolleys to replace the metal trolleys when they become ‘aged, broken, or need replacing’. These are being used in all of its stores.

Woolworths has also decided to drop the popular two-handle design from the new baskets, opting instead for a single handle. This design change, while seemingly minor, could prove controversial among shoppers.

Earlier this year, when Coles implemented a similar one-handle design, it faced criticism from customers who found the new design more challenging to use.

'Just dropping by to say I hate (and that's a word I don't often use) your new red baskets you have brought out, just one handle on them?' one disgruntled user commented on the new Coles baskets.

Another customer lamented, 'What have you done with the baskets?! The new design is just awful, did you have anyone in the team look at ergonomics?'

The new Woolworths baskets were first spotted in a video about the retail group's new store in Ashfield North, Sydney.

A social media personality shared footage of the baskets piled up at the store entrance, sparking curiosity and speculation among his followers.

Watch the video below:

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed that the new baskets would be rolled out to all stores.

'We're working hard to grow greener for our customers and the environment,' the spokesperson said.

'Our recycled trolleys have been very popular with customers and are currently available in select stores. We plan to continue rolling them out to new stores over the coming years.'

‘We also have trolley baskets that are made from 100 per cent recycled plastic and give used milk bottles a second life in our stores while also reducing the use of new materials to create trolleys.’
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has confirmed a major change to shopping baskets in all its stores, substituting them with green carriers made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE), a type of plastic largely derived from recycled milk bottles.
  • The new basket design only includes one handle, a departure from the former two-handle design, which may prove controversial among some shoppers.
  • When Coles implemented a similar one-handle design for their baskets earlier this year, it resulted in a backlash from some customers.
  • The new baskets are part of Woolworths' effort to go greener, with the supermarket giant also rolling out recycled trolleys and planning to continue this implementation over the coming years.
What do you think about Woolworths' new shopping baskets? Do you prefer the one-handle or two-handle design? And how important is it to you that companies take steps to reduce their environmental impact? Share your thoughts in the comments below.Stee

Steel trolleys hold more goods than plastic ones so it looks like Woolies management have shot themselves in the foot.

View attachment 36530

Watch the video below:

Key Takeaways

What do you think about Woolworths' new shopping baskets? Do you prefer the one-handle or two-handle design? And how important is it to you that companies take steps to reduce their environmental impact? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

My local woollies has had the trolleys and baskets for 2 years - since it came back from being wiped out by a flood. I use the large trolley as it holds the bags for shopping plus the weekly P.O. Box mail pick-up, leaving heaps of room for things like bottles and other bulky groceries.

I don't use the baskets as they are always too small for what i have to get.

But i can see a problem with the baskets design - the handle coming off the basket! I wonder if they tested out a heavy overload in them? I've seen people overload the baskets with heavy items - bottles of soft drink, milk, large tins etc and almost dragging the basket to the checkout as it is too heavy to carry. Also whats to stop the handle pivot joints coming apart with the strain of just one handle?

Finally it, like the trolley's are an awful colour!! Green? YUCK!!!

I prefer the one handle baskets , the handle is thicker and more comfortable on the arm.

I never saw the point of two handles.

Hopefully they regularly clean both trolleys and baskets

I love the changes both coles and Woolies are doing to their stores.
Like you I hope they clean them often

Reactions: Ezzy
Love the new green trolleys but the baskets, bloody awful. One handle!!!!, get it out of balance and the whole lot will end up on the floor. These morons who make these decisions have no idea about how they will be used. So full of themselves about going "green" they can't see the wood for the bloody trees
Why the hell didn't they leave some of the old style baskets in store as well...to give shoppers an option. 🤔😉

• Haha
Reactions: Ezzy and IAN3005