Woolworths gives away FREE fruit to children, but some shoppers are taking advantage

A series of recently uploaded videos have shed light on the 'disrespectful' behaviour of some Woolworths customers towards the 'Free Fruit For Kids' displays that are located in the supermarket.

In the videos posted on TikTok, two adult customers shamelessly boast about how they walk around the store eating the complimentary apples, bananas, and mandarin oranges that are intended for children.

Aside from eating the free fruit provided for children who accompany their parents in the supermarkets, the two customers also mentioned that they do not make any purchases in the store.

'Walking into Woolworths for the free fruit, pretending to shop whilst eating them and then leaving without buying anything,' the man wrote in his TikTok video. He filmed himself walking around the store while eating a banana, but neither a shopping cart nor a basket can be seen.

The same goes for the second Woolies shopper, who shared a clip of herself eating a banana in the store, along with the caption: 'Woolies employees watching me walk in, grab the free fruit for kids, walk around a bit then leave without buying anything.'

rLgX09ee5BHi721-7w6TprL-BGtNW1zsjIMlOspXabNwIpxXEQYXjO7aLvHaxopn3VIAVLsGZsdP0dgkmBIRxGsvXpvYKQdG-sAV8jZJCmlzCFT3d8P05wIkRzQy2fB82m9HcPiQxdvXydXyNW4

At Woolies, two adults admitted to taking the free fruit meant for kids. Credit: TikTok.

It came as no surprise that there was a backlash from several users on the platform after the two Woolies shoppers shared their behaviour while in the supermarket. Most said that the fruit is for kids, and that adults shouldn't be taking them.

'I feel like it's illegal doing it,' one person wrote in the comments, while a second described one of the shoppers as a 'menace to society.'

'You definitely shouldn't be going in just for this, knowing you're not going to buy anything,' said a third.

A fourth agreed and added, 'This is how good things will always come to an end. The idea is for kids to eat fruit, not for cheapskates taking advantage of the system.'

Surprisingly, not everyone reacted negatively to the two shoppers. Some of them admitted that they do the same thing sometimes, taking one or two fruit for themselves while in the store.

'My fiancé gets me one when we go shopping together,' one person commented, while another wrote: 'Not me going in with my baby pretending that's it's for him even though he is too small to eat.'

Someone who claimed to be a Woolworths team member has also commented on the post and said that these types of situations have been a recurring issue at their local store.

'As a fruit and veg worker at Woolies, I see this all day. The number of adults that do this…' the employee said.

xNrH_Xwo231jHHWwYNLyT4rXn60m7b9uHAv-5t43lsept-tzCPiRGwdUj4SBekiCW7FA8KKHuAazsM3IB1F8ZmCJWhZkaBB2uuGX-Sp2qA5b0NJlxqlawFKCPkgHKR7GsWY7rhliFr3uD7qExp4

The goal of the national 'free fruit' program is to encourage kids to eat more fruit. Credit: Triple M.

Woolworths first introduced its popular 'Free Fruit For Kids' campaign in 2015, offering a range of fresh produce for kids to enjoy while shopping with their parents.

Ever since the program started, children all across the country have been able to get free apples, bananas, pears, and mandarins when they are in season at Woolies locations.

The supermarket company estimates that more than 14,000 tons of free fruit, which is enough to fill more than six Olympic-sized swimming pools, have been given out to kids so far.

Paul Turner, the General Manager of Fruit and Vegetables at Woolworths, said, 'At Woolworths, we want to help kids get their recommended daily intake of fruit.'

'Providing Australian kids with more than 100 million pieces of free fruit is one of our largest community initiatives. It not only makes fresh fruit easily accessible for kids across Australia but is helping build a healthier future for our country.'

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you agree that these free fruit should be strictly for children only? Or do you think the adults can also get themselves a piece or two? Let us know in the comments!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
A series of recently uploaded videos have shed light on the 'disrespectful' behaviour of some Woolworths customers towards the 'Free Fruit For Kids' displays that are located in the supermarket.

In the videos posted on TikTok, two adult customers shamelessly boast about how they walk around the store eating the complimentary apples, bananas, and mandarin oranges that are intended for children.

Aside from eating the free fruit provided for children who accompany their parents in the supermarkets, the two customers also mentioned that they do not make any purchases in the store.

'Walking into Woolworths for the free fruit, pretending to shop whilst eating them and then leaving without buying anything,' the man wrote in his TikTok video. He filmed himself walking around the store while eating a banana, but neither a shopping cart nor a basket can be seen.

The same goes for the second Woolies shopper, who shared a clip of herself eating a banana in the store, along with the caption: 'Woolies employees watching me walk in, grab the free fruit for kids, walk around a bit then leave without buying anything.'

rLgX09ee5BHi721-7w6TprL-BGtNW1zsjIMlOspXabNwIpxXEQYXjO7aLvHaxopn3VIAVLsGZsdP0dgkmBIRxGsvXpvYKQdG-sAV8jZJCmlzCFT3d8P05wIkRzQy2fB82m9HcPiQxdvXydXyNW4

At Woolies, two adults admitted to taking the free fruit meant for kids. Credit: TikTok.

It came as no surprise that there was a backlash from several users on the platform after the two Woolies shoppers shared their behaviour while in the supermarket. Most said that the fruit is for kids, and that adults shouldn't be taking them.

'I feel like it's illegal doing it,' one person wrote in the comments, while a second described one of the shoppers as a 'menace to society.'

'You definitely shouldn't be going in just for this, knowing you're not going to buy anything,' said a third.

A fourth agreed and added, 'This is how good things will always come to an end. The idea is for kids to eat fruit, not for cheapskates taking advantage of the system.'

Surprisingly, not everyone reacted negatively to the two shoppers. Some of them admitted that they do the same thing sometimes, taking one or two fruit for themselves while in the store.

'My fiancé gets me one when we go shopping together,' one person commented, while another wrote: 'Not me going in with my baby pretending that's it's for him even though he is too small to eat.'

Someone who claimed to be a Woolworths team member has also commented on the post and said that these types of situations have been a recurring issue at their local store.

'As a fruit and veg worker at Woolies, I see this all day. The number of adults that do this…' the employee said.

xNrH_Xwo231jHHWwYNLyT4rXn60m7b9uHAv-5t43lsept-tzCPiRGwdUj4SBekiCW7FA8KKHuAazsM3IB1F8ZmCJWhZkaBB2uuGX-Sp2qA5b0NJlxqlawFKCPkgHKR7GsWY7rhliFr3uD7qExp4

The goal of the national 'free fruit' program is to encourage kids to eat more fruit. Credit: Triple M.

Woolworths first introduced its popular 'Free Fruit For Kids' campaign in 2015, offering a range of fresh produce for kids to enjoy while shopping with their parents.

Ever since the program started, children all across the country have been able to get free apples, bananas, pears, and mandarins when they are in season at Woolies locations.

The supermarket company estimates that more than 14,000 tons of free fruit, which is enough to fill more than six Olympic-sized swimming pools, have been given out to kids so far.

Paul Turner, the General Manager of Fruit and Vegetables at Woolworths, said, 'At Woolworths, we want to help kids get their recommended daily intake of fruit.'

'Providing Australian kids with more than 100 million pieces of free fruit is one of our largest community initiatives. It not only makes fresh fruit easily accessible for kids across Australia but is helping build a healthier future for our country.'

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you agree that these free fruit should be strictly for children only? Or do you think the adults can also get themselves a piece or two? Let us know in the comments!
Codswallop!

Shame on them indeed. When I saw “fruit for kids” I thought what a brilliant idea. Not only would it keeps littlies quiet and happy there are children who don’t get the nourishment benefits because of financial reasons. That adults take the fruit is shameful.

From memory, "free fruit for kids", was introduced in part, when Jamie Oliver agreed to be the face of exclusive Woolworths products. He wanted to see something healthy being offered to the kids, rather than sugary alternatives. Sadly some adults do far worse than stealing the free fruit, used to have loose nuts in some shops, but there were more stolen and eaten in the shop than were purchased. Don't even get me started on people walking around eating a cooked chook, and then leaving the bones in shelves.

Yep, they’re grubs!!….& no surprise they are both smart arsed young adults- such a privileged generation!

Codswallop!
As far as I am concerned the only part that is child like of an adult PILFERING something that is there for children is their tiny sized brains...... what would they do if I came along a stole it out of the hands of their children when and if the have any.... Same bloody thing.... nothing gutless stingy thieves

Is this the way our society going now? Take whatever you can. A 'me-only' culture! A pity because Australia has such a good society with lots of positives but these constant examples of selfishness disappoint me and are taking us downhill.
These people need to have a look at themselves in the mirror. I know they won't and they don't care. 'Me-only' people don't care what others think. Pity they ruin things for others.
I think these people are morons and leeches of the society.

Shame on them, literally stealing food from the childrens mouth.
Good on Woolworths having this in their store for the kids but if others keep eating from it then it's only time until Woolies stop it.

Shame Shame Shame on them.
Who cares this is so petty it's not only fruit people eat I have a Banana 🍌 once in a blue moon I even tell the staff their not worried better than going to the tip as the saying goes try before you buy I am sure there is more things to worry about you don't know their situation very Petty.

Disgraceful behaviour that will end up stopping the free kids fruit. Bragging about it and being proud of their behaviour only adds to the furor that they cause. They should be banned from the supermarkets or at least be made to pay for the fruit before they leave. Such a poor example for others and especially their children, if any. This entitlement business has no place in our civilised society. I know it's a small thing, but it is a bad sign for their attitude moving forward and could lead to bigger, worse criminal offences. Stop them now while we can!

Who cares this is so petty it's not only fruit people eat I have a Banana 🍌 once in a blue moon I even tell the staff their not worried better than going to the tip as the saying goes try before you buy I am sure there is more things to worry about you don't know their situation very Petty.
OI! Stealing is stealing. its NOT petty.

Is this the way our society going now? Take whatever you can. A 'me-only' culture! A pity because Australia has such a good society with lots of positives but these constant examples of selfishness disappoint me and are taking us downhill.
These people need to have a look at themselves in the mirror. I know they won't and they don't care. 'Me-only' people don't care what others think. Pity they ruin things for others.
I think these people are morons and leeches of the society.
Maybe Woolies should have fruit under the counter and give to kids when purchases are paid for.