Woolworths faces backlash after drastic hot chook platter price hike

Delicious food doesn't have to come with a hefty price tag.

So when we heard in 2022 about the secret 'Hot Roast Chicken Sharing Platter' Woolies was offering that was essentially a free chook, we were ecstatic.

At just $25, this platter included two hot roast chickens, valued at $11 each, a 400g pack of pasta salad, a 400g tub of coleslaw, and twelve bread rolls. Add it all up and you're looking at the total retail price of $38 - that makes it a whopping 13 dollars in savings!

Unsurprisingly, customers were loving this deal and they were quick to take to the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook page to sing its praises.

Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 12.57.51 PM.png
The Woolies deal lets customers take home two hot roast chickens valued at $11 each, a 400g pack of pasta salad, a 400g tub of coleslaw and 12 bread rolls. Credit: Woolworths.

Recently, though, shoppers were left in utter dismay when the supermarket giant jacked up the prices of their platters. And we're not talking about just a small increase here, folks. Brace yourselves for a shocking 40 per cent hike!

Gone are the days of indulging in a mouthwatering feast for just $25. Say hello to the new price tag of $35 for the beloved Hot Roast Chicken Sharing Platter. That's a $10 increase!

And it's not just the chicken platter that's been hit with the price hikes. The Family Favourites Platter has also gone up to $35 from $25. And if you thought it couldn't get any worse, think again… The Deli Platter For Two has also now increased from $12 to $20. Ouch!

Naturally, shoppers are not happy about this move by Woolies.

One angry customer took to social media to express their disappointment, saying, 'Really disappointed that I ordered my usual hot chicken sharing platter $25 - as advertised online and in the pamphlet. Now it's $35. So much for keeping prices low. Won't be ordering again.'

'Just wondering if the excuse is the “potato shortage” as that seems the go-to excuse for everything. At the prices of your platters now, you're better off doing them yourself,' argued another shopper.

Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 12.58.02 PM.png
The price of the Family Favourites Platter has also increased from $25 to $35. Credit: Woolworths.

Woolworths has come forward with an explanation for the price hikes. A company representative revealed that their wholesale costs had unfortunately gone up, leading to an increase in prices.

'We've recently adjusted the price of our Deli Platter for Two and Hot Roast Chicken Sharing Platter following wholesale cost increases from suppliers across several of the key components of the platters,' the spokesperson explained.

But fear not, savvy shoppers! Despite the platter price hikes, Woolworths is still working hard to provide other savings to its customers.

The current Woolworths Prices Dropped campaign has seen the price of more than 400 everyday essentials dropped this autumn season, including muesli, frozen vegetables, and yoghurt, to provide customers more value across a wide range of popular products.

And that's not all! You can also reduce the cost of your shopping by joining the Everyday Rewards program. For every 2000 points earned, customers get $10 off their shop. Now, that's what we call a sweet deal.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths offered a Hot Chicken Sharing Platter deal which saved customers $13 compared to buying the items separately.
  • In a controversial move, Woolworths has raised the price of the deal from $25 to $35 - a 40 per cent increase.
  • Prices on other popular platters have also increased, with the Deli Platter For Two increasing from $12 to $20.
Hold on to your wallets, everyone - it seems like the days of affordable grocery shopping might be numbered. As prices continue to rise, it's more important than ever to find good deals and savings in supermarkets.

So, do you have any tips and tricks to share with your fellow shoppers? Perhaps you know of a hidden gem in your local supermarket or have a favourite time of day to shop for markdowns. Whatever it may be, share your thoughts and advice in the comments below. We love hearing from you and helping each other out!

Sponsored
I like to get a roast chicken for my cat as a treat, not very often, but the price is going up and up. I put it in containers in the freezer and eek it out to her every so often. I think this is going to be only for Christmas treats now.:( As I don't eat meat, I feel she should have some real stuff every now and then when I can afford it.

That's so sweet Liz. We do a similar thing at my house for my 2 furry girls. And don't they love it!!!! I have 1 kitty with kidney issues and she gets chicken or Turkey mince as it's cheaper. We just make up small individual portions and freeze it. A very cheap healthy way to feed our beloved pets.
Yes our beloved pets need treats like we do. I might try the chicken or turkey mince and see how she goes. Thank you for the suggestion.:)

Reactions: Macarj
a delicious coleslaw. red and white cabbage sliced add heaps of herbs,+ fennel if available grate carrot and cheese for on the side. use your own mayonnaise. ours lasts for 3 days and only a quarter of cabbages used, and use it in sandwiches. why did this person buy 3 broccoli? Prices are going up, we were warned. vegies can be grown in pots. also cheaper to buy frozen vegetables and better for you.

So when we heard in 2022 about the secret 'Hot Roast Chicken Sharing Platter' Woolies was offering that was essentially a free chook, we were ecstatic.

At just $25, this platter included two hot roast chickens, valued at $11 each, a 400g pack of pasta salad, a 400g tub of coleslaw, and twelve bread rolls. Add it all up and you're looking at the total retail price of $38 - that makes it a whopping 13 dollars in savings!

Unsurprisingly, customers were loving this deal and they were quick to take to the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook page to sing its praises.

View attachment 14825
The Woolies deal lets customers take home two hot roast chickens valued at $11 each, a 400g pack of pasta salad, a 400g tub of coleslaw and 12 bread rolls. Credit: Woolworths.

Recently, though, shoppers were left in utter dismay when the supermarket giant jacked up the prices of their platters. And we're not talking about just a small increase here, folks. Brace yourselves for a shocking 40 per cent hike!

Gone are the days of indulging in a mouthwatering feast for just $25. Say hello to the new price tag of $35 for the beloved Hot Roast Chicken Sharing Platter. That's a $10 increase!

And it's not just the chicken platter that's been hit with the price hikes. The Family Favourites Platter has also gone up to $35 from $25. And if you thought it couldn't get any worse, think again… The Deli Platter For Two has also now increased from $12 to $20. Ouch!

One angry customer took to social media to express their disappointment, saying, 'Really disappointed that I ordered my usual hot chicken sharing platter $25 - as advertised online and in the pamphlet. Now it's $35. So much for keeping prices low. Won't be ordering again.'

'Just wondering if the excuse is the “potato shortage” as that seems the go-to excuse for everything. At the prices of your platters now, you're better off doing them yourself,' argued another shopper.

View attachment 14826
The price of the Family Favourites Platter has also increased from $25 to $35. Credit: Woolworths.

Woolworths has come forward with an explanation for the price hikes. A company representative revealed that their wholesale costs had unfortunately gone up, leading to an increase in prices.

'We've recently adjusted the price of our Deli Platter for Two and Hot Roast Chicken Sharing Platter following wholesale cost increases from suppliers across several of the key components of the platters,' the spokesperson explained.

But fear not, savvy shoppers! Despite the platter price hikes, Woolworths is still working hard to provide other savings to its customers.

The current Woolworths Prices Dropped campaign has seen the price of more than 400 everyday essentials dropped this autumn season, including muesli, frozen vegetables, and yoghurt, to provide customers more value across a wide range of popular products.

And that's not all! You can also reduce the cost of your shopping by joining the Everyday Rewards program. For every 2000 points earned, customers get $10 off their shop. Now, that's what we call a sweet deal.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths offered a Hot Chicken Sharing Platter deal which saved customers $13 compared to buying the items separately.
  • In a controversial move, Woolworths has raised the price of the deal from $25 to $35 - a 40 per cent increase.
  • Prices on other popular platters have also increased, with the Deli Platter For Two increasing from $12 to $20.
Hold on to your wallets, everyone - it seems like the days of affordable grocery shopping might be numbered. As prices continue to rise, it's more important than ever to find good deals and savings in supermarkets.

So, do you have any tips and tricks to share with your fellow shoppers? Perhaps you know of a hidden gem in your local supermarket or have a favourite time of day to shop for markdowns. Whatever it may be, share your thoughts and advice in the comments below. We love hearing from you and helping each other out!
Guess I won't be indulging

No great loss to me.
The last two cooked chooks I bought from Woolworths (in two towns separated by nearly 1000k), each gave me a galloping dose of The Trots, if you follow me....
No way I'm giving them a third shot at it, not at any price.

• Angry
Reactions: Granny*Deb

View attachment 14825

View attachment 14826

Key Takeaways

I have found that the woolies chook has shrunk and become rather tasteless in recent times. Also never been a fan of the items they call salads much prefer my own coleslaw and noodle salad. I have also found that everything seems to be going up at 50 cents per item never thought I would spend in excess of $200 on a shop for 2 people and a mid size dog. We mainly eat mince and chicken one meal of lamb per chops per fortnight. Sad times and thank god I'm not trying to feed a family

a delicious coleslaw. red and white cabbage sliced add heaps of herbs,+ fennel if available grate carrot and cheese for on the side. use your own mayonnaise. ours lasts for 3 days and only a quarter of cabbages used, and use it in sandwiches. why did this person buy 3 broccoli? Prices are going up, we were warned. vegies can be grown in pots. also cheaper to buy frozen vegetables and better for you.
I was wondering about all the broccoli too, !!!

Reactions: Granny*Deb

View attachment 14825

View attachment 14826

Key Takeaways

Shop elsewhere simple

View attachment 14825

View attachment 14826

Key Takeaways

Shop elsewhere they are owned by South African company your hard earned money 💰 going to another country 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Its time to get back into the kitchen again ,you will be amazed at how little it costs to make your own cakes, scones, bread ,salads, jellies and ice cream, the savings are enormous

Shop elsewhere simple

Shop elsewhere they are owned by South African company your hard earned money 💰 going to another country 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
W.w.australia is not owned by a sth African company its Australian owned. 😊do your research before posting lies thanks.

Reactions: TheBear