Woolworths customers are outraged after beloved service gets the axe

Purchasing groceries has always been a bit of a balancing act, somewhere between finding quality produce without spending more than we should. Luckily, we’ve got our favourite local supermarkets to help us save money through the use of their sales and promotions.

But how will you deal with things when a popular service from your local store gets the boot?

One of Woolworths’ most popular services is their 'raincheck' service, where shoppers can purchase an item that is currently out of stock but at the sale price.

These vouchers allow customers to come back and buy whatever it was they wanted at a later date, even after the actual sale is over.

However, when the supermarket giant announced that they were axing ‘rainchecks’ for good, shoppers were understandably upset.

woolies (2).jpg
Customers were frustrated over the announcement. Credit: Woolworths AU

The news was shared in a Facebook group by one shopper, who said she was ‘shocked’ to see that her local store no longer offered ‘raincheck’ on sale items.

‘Since when do supermarkets NOT give out rainchecks?’ The customer wrote in their post.

They added: ‘I just tried to get one for coffee at Woolies and [was] told they no longer give them out.’

This isn’t exactly a new announcement, since Woolies stopped issuing ‘rainchecks’ during the height of COVID-19 in 2020 because of supply chain issues. But no one expected the retailer to stop issuing them for good.

Coles, on the other hand, has continued to offer ‘rainchecks’.

woolies2 (1).jpg
The news sparked a lively discussion between social media users. Credit: Lum3n/Pexels

The shopper’s complaint prompted social media users to share similar frustrations over the news.

‘I asked for a raincheck at Woolies and they said they stopped doing [that] during COVID. So annoying,’ one wrote.

Another commented that while the news ‘sucked’, at least Coles still offered the same service. ‘I got a raincheck today for muesli bars,’ they added.

Someone else commented: ‘Also if you buy something at Woolies [and] take it back, no refunds either – only exchange I found out last week.’ The user continued to say that Coles still offers refunds and rainchecks.

‘So, forget about shopping at Woolies now for me,’ they added.

Woolworths’ website confirms this:
‘Until further notice, we will not provide a refund where you have changed your mind about products purchased from Woolworths.’

Others defended Woolies’ decision, however.

One shared: ‘Woolworths manager told me they stopped it during COVID due to people misusing rainchecks by going to multiple stories and doing them. They were buying heaps to resell.’

‘We still can’t guarantee supply of items so we’re no longer issuing them,’ one Woolies staff admitted.

According to Woolworths returns policy page, they said ‘rainchecks’ will be unavailable on any advertised stock until further notice. ‘”Advertised stock” includes any product advertised for sale, or which is on promotion in a Woolworths store or online,’ they added.

A spokesperson for Woolworths told reporters that the ‘supermarket works hard to make sure there’s enough stock in store to meet demand on reduced buys’.

The spokesperson said that the supermarket still offered ‘5,000 specials a week’ in their stores. ‘We continue to collaborate with our supplier partners to have sufficient stock to meet customer demand for our very popular promotions,’ they concluded in their statement.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths customers have expressed frustration over the supermarket's decision to stop providing rainchecks on sale products.
  • Since the height of the pandemic, Woolworths has stopped issuing rainchecks due to supply chain disruptions.
  • While Coles has continued to offer rainchecks, Woolworths has not resumed the service.
  • Woolworths said that they continue to collaborate with supplier partners to have sufficient stock to meet customer demand for their popular promotions.
Do you use ‘rainchecks’, members? Did you notice this change at your local store? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Purchasing groceries has always been a bit of a balancing act, somewhere between finding quality produce without spending more than we should. Luckily, we’ve got our favourite local supermarkets to help us save money through the use of their sales and promotions.

But how will you deal with things when a popular service from your local store gets the boot?

One of Woolworths’ most popular services is their 'raincheck' service, where shoppers can purchase an item that is currently out of stock but at the sale price.

These vouchers allow customers to come back and buy whatever it was they wanted at a later date, even after the actual sale is over.

However, when the supermarket giant announced that they were axing ‘rainchecks’ for good, shoppers were understandably upset.

View attachment 10579

The news was shared in a Facebook group by one shopper, who said she was ‘shocked’ to see that her local store no longer offered ‘raincheck’ on sale items.

‘Since when do supermarkets NOT give out rainchecks?’ The customer wrote in their post.

They added: ‘I just tried to get one for coffee at Woolies and [was] told they no longer give them out.’

This isn’t exactly a new announcement, since Woolies stopped issuing ‘rainchecks’ during the height of COVID-19 in 2020 because of supply chain issues. But no one expected the retailer to stop issuing them for good.

View attachment 10580
The news sparked a lively discussion between social media users. Credit: Lum3n/Pexels

The shopper’s complaint prompted social media users to share similar frustrations over the news.

‘I asked for a raincheck at Woolies and they said they stopped doing [that] during COVID. So annoying,’ one wrote.

Another commented that while the news ‘sucked’, at least Coles still offered the same service. ‘I got a raincheck today for muesli bars,’ they added.

Someone else commented: ‘Also if you buy something at Woolies [and] take it back, no refunds either – only exchange I found out last week.’ The user continued to say that Coles still offers refunds and rainchecks.

‘Until further notice, we will not provide a refund where you have changed your mind about products purchased from Woolworths.’

One shared: ‘Woolworths manager told me they stopped it during COVID due to people misusing rainchecks by going to multiple stories and doing them. They were buying heaps to resell.’

‘We still can’t guarantee supply of items so we’re no longer issuing them,’ one Woolies staff admitted.

According to Woolworths returns policy page, they said ‘rainchecks’ will be unavailable on any advertised stock until further notice. ‘”Advertised stock” includes any product advertised for sale, or which is on promotion in a Woolworths store or online,’ they added.

A spokesperson for Woolworths told reporters that the ‘supermarket works hard to make sure there’s enough stock in store to meet demand on reduced buys’.

The spokesperson said that the supermarket still offered ‘5,000 specials a week’ in their stores. ‘We continue to collaborate with our supplier partners to have sufficient stock to meet customer demand for our very popular promotions,’ they concluded in their statement.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths customers have expressed frustration over the supermarket's decision to stop providing rainchecks on sale products.
  • Since the height of the pandemic, Woolworths has stopped issuing rainchecks due to supply chain disruptions.
  • While Coles has continued to offer rainchecks, Woolworths has not resumed the service.
  • Woolworths said that they continue to collaborate with supplier partners to have sufficient stock to meet customer demand for their popular promotions.
Do you use ‘rainchecks’, members? Did you notice this change at your local store? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
I've been shopping at Woolworths for several years and never knew that they had a raincheck facility in place.
I wonder how other lucky customers had found out about it.
I must have missed out on a lot of savings that, as one of their most loyal customers, I well and truly deserved. What a pity!

Drake's supermarket in SA does raincheck. I did it for 2 items recently that was in their catalogue & not on shelves. Have noticed supply is still a problem with all supermarkets.

Reactions: KaraJenna and Ricci
Are people even aware that "specials" are negotiated sometimes months prior between companies and suppliers? No body can foresee circumstances that could effect the supply chain, just look at the last few years. Floods, fire, plagues, pandemic, war etc. Sadly there are always those that try to profiteer during these times, purchase extreme amounts of goods with the sole purpose of on-selling. I never used rainchecks and am glad to hear they are gone.

I’ve only used a rain check once and that was because it was offered to me by a staff member. I had never heard of rain checks before but I must say I felt very special when I could go in and buy my favourite pasta that had been sold out and could buy 6 of them!!
I think it’s a kind thing to offer when the shelves are often not stocked to their usual level in most supermarkets- but it should be a product by product decision by the store manager, not an expectation from the customer.

Reactions: Ricci
I've been shopping at Woolworths for several years and never knew that they had a raincheck facility in place.
I wonder how other lucky customers had found out about it.
I must have missed out on a lot of savings that, as one of their most loyal customers, I well and truly deserved. What a pity!
Me too I never understood what a Rain check was let alone use one and I have been shopping at Woolies for eons

Are people even aware that "specials" are negotiated sometimes months prior between companies and suppliers? No body can foresee circumstances that could effect the supply chain, just look at the last few years. Floods, fire, plagues, pandemic, war etc. Sadly there are always those that try to profiteer during these times, purchase extreme amounts of goods with the sole purpose of on-selling. I never used rainchecks and am glad to hear they are gone.
Rainchecks are a privilege, not a right!

View attachment 10579

View attachment 10580

Key Takeaways

I found that out a few weeks ago. No rain check on a product I really wanted. So no more shopping for me at Woolworths. Happy with Coles, Aldi & IGA.

Rainchecks have been around for years and they were only offered as an alternative to placate customers if something was out of stock and specials were not included in rainchecks. The staff would then have to ring around other stores to get the item and qty that the customer wanted, then notify the customer they had it for them, the customer then had 14 days to collect the product otherwise they would forfeit the raincheck. You could not rely on deliveries having the stock on the next load even though you ordered it and the delivery dockets said you would have it in the next delivery.
You may find that other retail outlets will start to remove this service as products are not as abundant as they used to be and with the delays in manufacturing and shipping it is becoming a nightmare to honor such things as rainchecks.
Rainchecks were not and are not available everywhere as there are a lot of retailers who do not provide rainchecks.

I had been using rain checks since the early 1970s. If an advertisement item on special had not arrived or had sold out, you could ask for a Raincheck at the Service Counter.
You could get the Raincheck for a maximum of 5 of those items, when stock arrived.
Initially, they had a book, and wrote your name, phone number and the product with the quantity in a book.
They rang you when your order arrived, and set it aside out the back for you.
You then had 7 days to go and buy it.
If you didn't, they cancelled it.
After some years, they stopped ringing you, you had to check yourself to see if the stock had come in.
It was a great scheme for products you use in high quantities, or when it was a super special.

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci