Woolworths customers are fuming over this 'constant' issue – do you agree?

Like any other bargain hunters, we Seniors Discount Club members get giddy whenever Woolworths announces that it will be discounting some of our favourites and most often purchased items in the store.

But it seems like not everyone is as thrilled as us whenever the supermarket giant announces its latest moves. In fact, many shoppers are downright angry – and for good reason!

You see, in order to keep costs low and remain competitive in this current market, Woolies have been forced to make a change that's rubbing customers the wrong way.

Instead of fully staffing their checkouts like they used to, the supermarket is now relying heavily on self-serve technology – meaning there are often long queues with only a few manned checkouts open.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 2.19.17 PM.png
A man from Queensland went to Facebook to complain about the long line at his local Woolworths store. Credit: Facebook.

One Queensland man took to Facebook recently to vent his frustrations.

Standing in a long line at the Kippa-Ring store, he snapped a photo of the scene and shared it on Woolworths' page with an angry message attached.

'Just your average Sunday afternoon at Kippa-Ring, standing in a queue because you insist automation is the answer,' he wrote in his post on social media.

He mentioned that Woolworths had just posted record profits yet was still skimping on manpower during their busiest times. 'Just put a 15-year-old on already!' he demanded.

The man then went on to criticise the lack of competition in the Australian supermarket space before informing Woolies that he would be taking his business to a soon-to-be-opened IGA from now on.

'I wish there was more competition in Australian groceries,' he said. 'I've just come back from the UK on holiday, and not only was it cheaper, but it was also so much better. Can't wait for our new IGA to be open next week. Every chance I get to avoid this particular Woolworths going forward, I will take it. This is a constant issue, and I've raised it before.'

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 2.19.04 PM.png
Supermarkets are encouraging customers to use self-serve checkouts. Credit: Getty. (Stock photo)

Reactions to the post were mixed, with some shoppers from Queensland saying they've had the same experience at their local store, while others from the UK denied the man's claims that queues were shorter there, placing the blame on the customer instead.

'Had the same issue at our local Woolies yesterday,' one woman said in the comments section, adding: 'Only ever one register open at their busiest times, it seems.'

'This is pretty standard on a weekend, and shock horror, we pack our own bags too,' wrote one UK resident, while another commented, 'Automation is the answer if you're not too feckless to work out how to use it.'

When self-checkout technology was first introduced more than a decade ago, most of the other registers were still staffed. This gave customers the freedom to check out in whatever way was most convenient for them.

But recently, though, there seems to be a trend of supermarkets intentionally not having enough people at checkouts to encourage customers to use self-service – this has led to a growing number of customer complaints on social media.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 2.18.59 PM.png
Woolworths reminded customers that if they wanted to use the manned checkouts, they could do so at any time. Credit: iTnews.

Speaking to a news source, a Woolies representative confirmed that the company acknowledged the complaint about the Kippa-Ring store and reassured customers that there are always people working at the checkouts if they want to use them.

'We're aware of the customer's social media feedback and have passed that onto our Kippa-Ring operations team,' the spokesperson said.

'Customers can always expect service at our manned checkouts and are encouraged to speak with their friendly local store team directly should they have any questions.'
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has taken to Facebook to complain about the long queues caused by a lack of checkout staff at his local store.
  • The customer blamed the increase in self-serve checkouts for the queues and said that he would be avoiding the store in future.
  • Reactions to the post were mixed, with some fellow shoppers agreeing while others argued that the situation always depends on the location and customers.
What do you think, folks? Do you agree that supermarkets need to reopen more manned checkouts in their stores? Or should customers get used to the growing number of self-service checkouts? Please share your opinions with us in the comments section!

Sponsored
I am keeping score regarding number of times I use a self serve checkout. So far it is about 50% of the time, I have problems and end up taking a lot of time waiting for assistance from the harried single assistant. Coles are by far the worst and I have given up trying to use self serve there.

Like any other bargain hunters, we Seniors Discount Club members get giddy whenever Woolworths announces that it will be discounting some of our favourites and most often purchased items in the store.

But it seems like not everyone is as thrilled as us whenever the supermarket giant announces its latest moves. In fact, many shoppers are downright angry – and for good reason!

You see, in order to keep costs low and remain competitive in this current market, Woolies have been forced to make a change that's rubbing customers the wrong way.

Instead of fully staffing their checkouts like they used to, the supermarket is now relying heavily on self-serve technology – meaning there are often long queues with only a few manned checkouts open.

View attachment 7920
A man from Queensland went to Facebook to complain about the long line at his local Woolworths store. Credit: Facebook.

Standing in a long line at the Kippa-Ring store, he snapped a photo of the scene and shared it on Woolworths' page with an angry message attached.

'Just your average Sunday afternoon at Kippa-Ring, standing in a queue because you insist automation is the answer,' he wrote in his post on social media.

He mentioned that Woolworths had just posted record profits yet was still skimping on manpower during their busiest times. 'Just put a 15-year-old on already!' he demanded.

The man then went on to criticise the lack of competition in the Australian supermarket space before informing Woolies that he would be taking his business to a soon-to-be-opened IGA from now on.

'I wish there was more competition in Australian groceries,' he said. 'I've just come back from the UK on holiday, and not only was it cheaper, but it was also so much better. Can't wait for our new IGA to be open next week. Every chance I get to avoid this particular Woolworths going forward, I will take it. This is a constant issue, and I've raised it before.'

View attachment 7921
Supermarkets are encouraging customers to use self-serve checkouts. Credit: Getty. (Stock photo)

Reactions to the post were mixed, with some shoppers from Queensland saying they've had the same experience at their local store, while others from the UK denied the man's claims that queues were shorter there, placing the blame on the customer instead.

'Had the same issue at our local Woolies yesterday,' one woman said in the comments section, adding: 'Only ever one register open at their busiest times, it seems.'

'This is pretty standard on a weekend, and shock horror, we pack our own bags too,' wrote one UK resident, while another commented, 'Automation is the answer if you're not too feckless to work out how to use it.'

When self-checkout technology was first introduced more than a decade ago, most of the other registers were still staffed. This gave customers the freedom to check out in whatever way was most convenient for them.

But recently, though, there seems to be a trend of supermarkets intentionally not having enough people at checkouts to encourage customers to use self-service – this has led to a growing number of customer complaints on social media.

View attachment 7922
Woolworths reminded customers that if they wanted to use the manned checkouts, they could do so at any time. Credit: iTnews.

Speaking to a news source, a Woolies representative confirmed that the company acknowledged the complaint about the Kippa-Ring store and reassured customers that there are always people working at the checkouts if they want to use them.

'We're aware of the customer's social media feedback and have passed that onto our Kippa-Ring operations team,' the spokesperson said.

'Customers can always expect service at our manned checkouts and are encouraged to speak with their friendly local store team directly should they have any questions.'
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has taken to Facebook to complain about the long queues caused by a lack of checkout staff at his local store.
  • The customer blamed the increase in self-serve checkouts for the queues and said that he would be avoiding the store in future.
  • Reactions to the post were mixed, with some fellow shoppers agreeing while others argued that the situation always depends on the location and customers.
What do you think, folks? Do you agree that supermarkets need to reopen more manned checkouts in their stores? Or should customers get used to the growing number of self-service checkouts? Please share your opinions with us in the comments section!

why don't the SUPERmarkets, created to make shopping and like faster and easier, do so buy considering the self-serve registers when used by we the customer a little discount gratuity FOR SELF SERVING????- I mean like maybe 2% discount on our tab for doing the job.???????

I agree.
It seems to be the same with both Coles and Woolworths, only one serviced checkout open and an enlarged self serve set up.
I don't like online shopping either, being at the mercy of the packer, not able to get the occasional discounted item, and not the full availability of products. Often can't find the item I want in the sizes I want, even though I know it's available in store. Why??
Lucky for me I'm retired so I can wait it out.
I think in future I'll be asking to speak to the manager to have other registers opened. Yeah! At 76 I've found a voice.
Maybe that's the way forward. If we all protest in the store by requesting extra staff on the registers.
Pensioners unite!

why don't the SUPERmarkets, created to make shopping and like faster and easier, do so buy considering the self-serve registers when used by we the customer a little discount gratuity FOR SELF SERVING????- I mean like maybe 2% discount on our tab for doing the job.???????
Make it 10%. They can afford it. Saving in staff pay, sick leave pay, super, long service leave and holiday pay.
Check the salary of the CEO.

its not only supermarkets who do this. Found it in Kmart too and I was refused a checkout- so I left my goods. The self serve regularly have long lines and people are always needing helping and having to wait holding the lines up longer.
Often the s'markets don't have a single checkout open, or only one. For those who have body challenges liftiing extra and especially as self serve counter is lower creates more issues. They have to realise they lose customers.
As I live 3 mins from my shopping centre I don't buy online for delivery or me to pick up. I'm quite fussy with fruit and veg and how I like them and don't want someone else picking them out based on their preferences.

If they aren't paying staff then drop the prices.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

I go to Aldi pack my groceries while the person puts it through and guess what my bill is cheaper than Woolworths and Coles go figure and yes Aldi has a lot of Australian products read the labels

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

As well as the checkout problems, another annoying situation is being a customer I find it so annoying that we have to either wait or clamber around big trollies whilst staff restock shelves, this used to be done after hours and have the shelves all stocked up for next days trading. If Woolies is boasting at record profits then they can afford to pay night staff their penalties to stock shelves instead of being constantly in the way of the shop customer.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

Coles, woollies and Aldi are all going to be all self-serving with in the next 5 years.
So for all of the impatient people out there think of your kids or grandchildren who might work for these companies if we keep going through self-serving they won't have jobs soon.

Went shopping in Woolies picked up two Fry Pans it was on special as tickets said half price got to the checkout put though only to find out full price tryed to get money back only to be told go and spend the price in in the store not happy should have refunded my money the cost of the two Fry Pans was $100 l am only on the pension the only reason I picked it up because it was half price then to be told go and spend the money in the store have not bought from them again

Yep no refuse to use self serve. Would rather line up. They still need to use more manned registers though.
I agree. Know how to use the the self serve, I just refuse to - I don’t work there! Even in places like in some stores where it’s all self service I still ask to be served at the counter, it’s just my little protest, but also the principal of the thing.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

I won’t use the self serve as I don’t get paid and on the odd occasion that I did I still had to get 5he girl to help.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways