Woolworths comes under fire for new security measure: ‘Pretty sneaky’

Major supermarkets across Australia are ramping up their efforts to combat theft, and the changes are impossible to miss.

Coles and ALDI have boosted their surveillance systems and streamlined store layouts to monitor potential shoplifters more closely.

Woolworths, however, has taken things a step further. Their latest tactic has not only tightened security but also ignited a heated debate among shoppers, raising questions about privacy and customer trust.

The tactic involves covert staff members discreetly monitoring shoppers as they navigate the aisles, looking out for any signs of suspicious behaviour.

This practice was brought to public attention when a Woolworths employee shared insights on an online platform, revealing that staff are trained to detect potential shoplifters well before any alarms are triggered at self-checkout stations.

shutterstock_1193187478.jpg
Woolworths received criticism for their new security measure. Image source: Shutterstock

‘I work at Woolworths, if you’re stealing we know long before the self-scanner says anything,’ they wrote.

Another employee corroborated this, noting that employees often communicate with checkout teams to keep an eye on individuals who appear to be acting unusually or whose pockets seem excessively full.

‘It’s not foolproof, but it can help catch people whose pockets are just a little too bulging,’ they added.

The controversy intensified when a customer recounted their experience of being shadowed by an out-of-uniform 'security guard' while shopping.

The whole post read:

‘Hello friends,

As I’m sure all of you are aware, Woolworths employs people to pretend to do shopping so they can keep an eye out for shoplifters

I work full-time in a respected position but grew up in a housing commission in inner Sydney. I am no stranger to shoplifting but have had no reason to for over a decade.

Perhaps this is my fault for how I dress outside of work & for having hand tattoos. This fella was following me around but was pretending to shop. I thought maybe I was overthinking it, but I did some testing.

Every aisle I walked down, this man was right there pretending to look at shelves and would very clearly watch me but trying his hardest not to make it obvious. When I was a teenager, postcode wars were popping off, and I got stabbed in my right arm when I was 17 & cops would pick us up just to take us to an alleyway and kick us to the ground. So, my flight or fight response is locked on the fight.

I walked down an aisle where no one was, and sure enough, old mate came around as well, so I said, “Are you following me or what, brah?”

He fumbled his words and very poorly explained that he was working and was making sure I didn’t put anything in my backpack.

I told him he didn’t have anything to worry about from me and explained that he was making me nervous. I said to him that he could check my bag when I left. He then apologised, and we shook hands and now say hello to each other.

I do hope Woolworths rethinks this strategy. It causes distress for law-abiding shoppers and is a risk to employees! It is not worth a dust-up and the court procedures that would happen afterwards, especially when they are already making staggering profits!’

The shopper also shared that they felt sorry for the employees who carry out this task. They added: ‘I don’t think it’s a job anyone chooses. Surely it is out of necessity to pay their bills.’

This incident has sparked a conversation in the comments section, with most people expressing concern about the experience.

‘Thanks for the post, and the info. I had no idea,’ one user commented. ‘Sucks it made you feel like s*** but props to you (and that dude) for being upfront and adult about it.’

‘To be fair, I would say most of the actual staff wouldn’t know that’s a thing apart from the front-end staff,’ another said.

A third person wrote: ‘Seems the cost of paying people to follow around individuals would be greater than any good that are potentially stolen.’

‘Pretty sneaky. Good to know, though,’ someone remarked.

Other users shared their similar experiences while doing their grocery shopping.

A commenter shared: ‘That sounds about right. I once left Woolworths without buying anything (my dad was in another store and needed me), and I was carrying a couple of empty reusable bags.’

‘The checkout worker starts yelling at me, saying she needs to check my bags (which is fine; just don't be rude). So, I go back and show her the empty bags, which I guess disappointed her because she gives me a dirty look and then goes back to what she is doing. No “thank you” or “sorry for the inconvenience,” they added.

Another shopper shared: ‘My local IGA used to do this, and I'd be a target occasionally.’

‘I'd just make a game of it and waste their time. I'd go around a corner when they were keeping pace at the other end of the aisle, but then I'd double back and go two aisles back etc.’

‘It's absolutely disgusting that they profile people based on appearances and I'm sorry you had to deal with it,’ they said.

According to a spokesperson from Woolworths, the company is dedicated to preventing theft incidents within its stores.

‘The majority of our customers do the right thing but we have a number of initiatives that we use, both covert and overt, to help reduce retail crime.’

‘These initiatives include the use of camera technology at the checkouts, double welcome gates, CCTV and a trial of gates at the exit to our self-serve checkout area.’

‘All of our team are trained and have a number of tools available to keep them and our customers safe in the event of conflict or anti-social behaviour,’ the spokesperson added.

Last year, Woolworths installed automatic gates and high-tech surveillance at self-serve checkouts in selected stores across Australia. The new security technology uses rooftop sensors to track customers and prevent exits for those who have not paid for their goods.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths is under scrutiny for its new anti-theft strategy, which includes covert staff monitoring customers for suspicious activity.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed the use of both covert and overt initiatives to reduce theft in stores.
  • Experiences shared online highlighted customer discomfort and criticism over being followed by out-of-uniform security, raising concerns about the approach's impact on shoppers.
  • Woolworths employed several security measures, including camera technology, welcome gates, CCTV, and trial exit gates, to combat retail crime effectively.
Have you noticed increased security measures while shopping in your local supermarket? Do you feel these tactics are justified, or do they cross a line? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
If you are not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about
Exactly, seems to be a lot of guilty conscious people on here.

No different to walking through a shopping centre, CCTV everwhere, why, to keep a lookout for the bad people, if you aren't doing anything wrong you don't even think about it.

The "surveillance" of individuals in this manner is nothing short of stalking. Ring the police if you are concerned. Then again, they might arrive at the store within 26 hours....if you're lucky!

People pulling out the old card of "If you don't steal you don't have anything to worry about" are missing the point. It is a matter of privacy and dignity. If anyone tries this stunt on me, there is a chance they will be looking at the security camera. Whilst lying on their back on the shop floor.

Then I will call the police!
And then they can arrest you for assault, why the anger?

What do you do when walking through a shopping centre, 100's of CCTV cameras everywhere, CCTV cameras in the shops too, all doing the same thing.......watching YOU.

Bloody paranoid people. They do not know you at all, you are not special, basic common sense that security is required in shops as theft happens, and they have no idea if that's you or not.

They had/have a mirror down low so they can see anything un the lower section of the trolley, surely you have noticed them before, been there as long as I can remember.

Why feel threatened, if you are doung nothing wrong you have no problems. They don't know you, just like a cop stopping you for and RBT, they have no idea who you are or your background, it's not personal.
Just be your pleasant, cooperative self if they question you

Reactions: Greg350
Just be your pleasant, cooperative self if they question you
"They" being the police. Not security clowns. Read on....

Security guards and bouncers have no greater arrest powers than an ordinary citizen. They can carry out a citizen’s arrest if they suspect you are committing an offence, including shoplifting or damaging property. They do not have to wait for you to leave a store if they suspect you have stolen something.
From https://www.legalaid.wa.gov.au/find...uncers have,suspect you have stolen something.

This might shock some of you as to the non existent powers of store security. Don't worry - I've had more than my fair share of run ins with these clowns, usually advocating for people being wrongly and ILLEGALLY mistreated by these wannabe thugs.

I await replies to the contrary.

• Haha
Reactions: Greg350
"They" being the police. Not security clowns. Read on....

Security guards and bouncers have no greater arrest powers than an ordinary citizen. They can carry out a citizen’s arrest if they suspect you are committing an offence, including shoplifting or damaging property. They do not have to wait for you to leave a store if they suspect you have stolen something.
From https://www.legalaid.wa.gov.au/find-legal-answers/crime/under-arrest-and-police-powers/powers-security-guards-and-bouncers#:~:text=Security guards and bouncers have,suspect you have stolen something.

This might shock some of you as to the non existent powers of store security. Don't worry - I've had more than my fair share of run ins with these clowns, usually advocating for people being wrongly and ILLEGALLY mistreated by these wannabe thugs.

I await replies to the contrary.
You really sound like an arrogant person. You've had more than your fair share of run ins, wow, I bet that the vast majority of people in the population and 99.9% of people on here have NEVER had a run in. Not even close.

You know people get what they deserve, they get back how they treat others, sounds very much like you bring these run ins on yourself.

And then they can arrest you for assault, why the anger?

What do you do when walking through a shopping centre, 100's of CCTV cameras everywhere, CCTV cameras in the shops too, all doing the same thing.......watching YOU.

Bloody paranoid people. They do not know you at all, you are not special, basic common sense that security is required in shops as theft happens, and they have no idea if that's you or not.
Then I might start wearing a hijab, nijab, poonjab....whatever they are called.

As far as being arrested? Not the first time and not the last.

Poor Big W self serve checkout cameras in the southern suburbs of Perth got a workout last Friday. They had a silly cardboard surround on the screen housing the surveillance cameras which were movable. Just slide the cardboard across 2-3 cms and render the cameras redundant. And there in no law against this action! Am I vandalising such cameras? Ha ha! NO!

Reactions: DLHM
You really sound like an arrogant person. You've had more than your fair share of run ins, wow, I bet that the vast majority of people in the population and 99.9% of people on here have NEVER had a run in. Not even close.

You know people get what they deserve, they get back how they treat others, sounds very much like you bring these run ins on yourself.
And you sound like the one of many people who bend over and cop it without resistance! Does it hurt getting shafted?

Or do you enjoy it?

Lucky you weren't an adult in Europe during World War II. Ever heard of the Resistance? Ones that rose up against "authority"?

You wouldn't have been one of them, preferring to lick the boots of the German troops, Gestapo and Schutzstaffel (SS).

I’ve tested the idea of how I’m treated at various shops in the past. I was judged on my appearance and actions (all of which were legal). I proved to myself that no matter how courteous I was, I was treated with disrespect just on my appearance. People do not always get what they deserve. The old saying, “don’t judge a book by its cover”, was proven to me.

Lucky you weren't an adult in Europe during World War II. Ever heard of the Resistance? Ones that rose up against "authority"?

You wouldn't have been one of them, preferring to lick the boots of the German troops, Gestapo and Schutzstaffel (SS).
Are we in WW2? No. You're proud of being arrested, says it all.

I'm a decent human and a member of society. I may not like certain things but I'm not a child anymore who thinks laws do not apply to me. Grow up you moron.

I'm a decent human and a member of society. I may not like certain things but I'm not a child anymore who thinks laws do not apply to me. Grow up you moron.
Calling people names sounds very childish to me. Your replies show that you make a lot of assumptions.

Reactions: Veggiepatch

You would be the laugh of the party....

I will leave that to your imagination. A decent member of the society we currently live in is nothing to be proud of. But then again, you NEVER did a wrong thing in your life. Except being born.

At least you didn't call me a Mor(m)on!

They can follow me anytime They like!
We all pay for the stolen ite